Age of Wonders: Planetfall - Dev Diary #67: Your Galactic Empire

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I really like the new mode. It always felt odd that you were "rebuilding" an empire just on a single planet. I watched the video regarding residential sectors, pretty cool as well!

• 2Like
Reactions:
Am very interested in know how this will tie up in multiplayer and if it's possible to have coop campaigns or something conjoined with a friend. That would be rad.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I really like this - always in the mood to conquer some crazy unbalanced planets that force me to adapt and try new playstyles. I am in!
Really good thinking. Also great to hear it is moddable! Can't wait to try some neat ideas from the community.
Only worry is that strategic AI is not smart and the planets will be too easy...but first, let's try.

Am very interested in know how this will tie up in multiplayer and if it's possible to have coop campaigns or something conjoined with a friend. That would be rad.
Coop allies would be really cool, with double trouble on a planet to provide more challenge, but multiplayer is not implemented - and I don't think it will.

Last edited:
Hrrrmn. To make it co-op, you'd probably need to have a special co-op empire, rather than two empires cooperating to get the same planet. One could definitely imagine an empire landing two or more commanders on one world if it's too important or too heavily contested to send just one - with a commensurate increase in the threat level of the planet, of course!

Hrrrmn. To make it co-op, you'd probably need to have a special co-op empire, rather than two empires cooperating to get the same planet. One could definitely imagine an empire landing two or more commanders on one world if it's too important or too heavily contested to send just one - with a commensurate increase in the threat level of the planet, of course!

Indeed! Or even competition between them, reflected in mission goals.

'Russ and the Lion landed on seperate hemispheres, each vowing to outdo the other and reap more alien lives, crushing the entrenched aliens who supressed humanity. The victor would receive praise from the Emperor himself.'

Stimulate both commanders to strive towards a goal, but maybe give the victor a permanent trait, or a title.

Any chance there will be a way to play Galactic Empire with a friend (online multiplayer)?
Galactic Empires won't be available for Multiplayer. We experimented with making Planet traits available to chose when setting up a Multiplayer game but that proved to unstable.
Hello! What happens if I lose a planet in galactic mode?
Losing or Abandoning a active planet will result in the loss of the planet, heroes won't level up and no Relics or Experience is gained from the planet. Experience gained from Secondary Objectives will be claimed. Deleting a active planet from the Star Map will forfeit any progress made and you won't gain any experience or other rewards from that planet.
*boring post about how important AI fixes for this mode and making it actually viable*
*disappointing post about how we're always working on AI, the request to wait for the Update Notes which eventually will end up being controversial and insufficient* ;)

• 6Like
  • 6Haha
Reactions:
Really looking forward to this mode. Always rubs me the wrong way when you conquer a map w/ leveled up heroes, only to start next map at lvl 1. I really like how this is looking, and can't wait to play it.

its just a detail but the left foot of the girl hero in the new DLC armor is clipping through the leg armor.

its like the armor is getting off her leg ^^'...

Galactic Empires won't be available for Multiplayer. We experimented with making Planet traits available to chose when setting up a Multiplayer game but that proved to unstable.

Aww that's dissapointing, hope some kind of integration so I can make campaigns with friend in the future

Reactions:
Co-op maybe (in the future)? It will be pretty cool to invite my friend as ally for map or two... or three.

Still no information about heroes load-out :D

Also - we need new dlc/patch with more unique and strong hero-equipment (for all single and multi)! More builds, more cool-looking guns/swords/axes and maybe even battle-psyionic amplifier: not just syndicate indentured-support chair, but maybe weapon/vehicle just for attack-type psionic characters.

Suddenly wondering, what happens to an Empire Hero if they die? Do they die like regular Heroes and have to be brought back by the resurrection ops? Or are they capable of recuperating like Commanders? Or do you spend Renown to revive them? Also what happens to them when you return to the galactic map after completing a planet mission and you didn't or couldn't revive them beforehand?

Suddenly wondering, what happens to an Empire Hero if they die? Do they die like regular Heroes and have to be brought back by the resurrection ops? Or are they capable of recuperating like Commanders? Or do you spend Renown to revive them? Also what happens to them when you return to the galactic map after completing a planet mission and you didn't or couldn't revive them beforehand?
I think that system work like this: your Empire Heroes = regular Heroes, just with pre-existing "info".

I suspect the gallery of heroes is a perpetual feature of your empire. Any dead heroes upon victory are assumed to be revived in time for the victory parade.

If you retreat or lose the planet and have non-resurrected heroes, I suppose they are carried unto your starshipa by a band of intrepid adventures/mercenaries/special retrieval teams and reconstituted there in time for the next Planetfall.

• 1Haha
Reactions:
I really like this idea, reminds me of the old AOW1-2 campaigns when you could choose to carry over some items or heroes from previous campaigns to new ones. Also this means you get to play the same leader and research over several maps, instead of losing all progress and starting again. And the RPG elements are welcome! I also like how varied the tasks and hazards seem to be, and the relic descriptions give a nice lore info to the mix.
My question is, are the planets you play randomized when you start a new empire? And how many are there in a system?

*boring post about how important AI fixes for this mode and making it actually viable*
AI fixes seem like a broken record at this point. I still dunno what's so bad about the AI? They are usually a competent enough enemy or ally in my experience. Certainly far smarter than in past games, I remember how in AOW1 I could just use concealed heroes to assassinate leaders and watch the empire collapse...

Nice post but I still can't wrap my head around this mode. In the sense that I don't know if I should be excited or just interested :p Guess I will need to try playing it first.
It'll be like playing single maps, except the maps are all interconnected and you can carry over units, tech, relations and bonuses, plus evolve your leader between maps. So almost like a campaign, just with greater control in what you do in your next mission.

I think Voyager landed on this planet... Starfleet calls this type "Demon class" :)

Last edited: