• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Because she really wants a ghostly audience knowing everythign :)
They are the ideal people to talk to. You can relieve you conscience by confessing, but the people you confess to are in a different reality and can never tell anyone else in your reality, so your secrets remain safe. Certainly far safer than trusting a medieval priest and their... eclectic.. approach to the sanctity of confession (or indeed any of the other sacraments).

• 1Like
Reactions:
Ooh...interesting.

Certainly far safer than trusting a medieval priest and their... eclectic.. approach to the sanctity of confession (or indeed any of the other sacraments).

Eh, sanctity of confession is a bit hit and miss in carholic dogmatic history, but most local priests did keep it if only for pragmatic reasons (the peasants will know if they talk). Of course, if you have an archbishop as your confessor and you're the king, they have reason to hold this over you even if they never say it. It's why royal families tended to have personal or quasi-royal chapels or abbeys to have personal confessor in, to keep them locked into separate spheres of politics.

The britsh Royal family incidentally still does this so it's not an empty concern.

Reactions:
Hehe, nice. :)

Reactions:
Does this mean that we’re the ghosts in the other realm? :oops:

Very glad to have this back.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Chapter Eight - Sins by the Father
Lady Macbeth II
An Earldom of Buchan 1066 AAR

Part Two - February 1110

Chapter Eight: Sins by the Father

So as you may (or may not at this point) remember, after a ridiculous misunderstanding with the Pope concerning crusades, I had found myself excommunicated, cast out from the church, and condemned to bear a terrible blight on my immortal soul. My husband, bless him, laid it bare for me: the only way out of this was to reach out to the Holy Father himself and beg for clemency, either by sending a letter or by taking a trip to Rome and doing it in person.

7Qj0np1.png

Now our dear Pope Gregory is an interesting character, by all accounts. He is renowned for being a highly sociable poet, and for using said poetry on any female in the vicinity in order to sate his raging loins, the only problem being that he is a raging imbecile, so his poetry is absolutely terrible. Well, having thought it over, I came up with a scheme to take a pilgrimage to Rome and, while there, seek an audience with Gregory and, say, let his poetry be successful for a change. Perhaps that might change his mind?

InzMyl6.png

But then my steward, Alan ‘the Festive’, ever the tight-arse with the purse-strings, told me that it would be cheaper just to send a letter, so that’s what I did. What Alan didn’t tell me is that Pope would demand a massive bribe (sorry, indulgence) for my repentance, plunging the earldom into vast amounts of debt. Oh well, it’s only money, and not even mine at that, so not to worry.

uFIfaH4.png

While all my schemes regarding Papal seduction ultimately came to nothing, it did make me realise something: that there was something very exciting about the idea of corrupting a man of the cloth. While the option of Pope Gregory, there were alternatives closer to home, ones that would quite likely involve less poetry and less drool (though that remained to be seen). Bishop Malise of St Machar’s Cathedral I found to be quite the handsome devil, with those piercing eyes and that drooping moustache, and I had a feeling he wasn’t quite the upstanding clergyman he appeared to be. I decided to put it to the test at my next confessional. Every Sunday the Bishop would come to Ellon Castle and take confession in the castle’s private chapel. Well, that particular Sunday I sidled into the booth with only one thing on my mind.

Nj4sdDc.png

“Father, forgive me, for I have sinned,” I said. “It’s been one week since my last confession.”

“Proceed, Countess,” Bishop Malise said, in that sexy gravelly voice of his.

“Well you see, it’s just that I’ve been having these lustful thoughts. I can’t seem to stop getting all hot and bothered. My dress fells so tight around my bosom, and everything feels so tingly, like I’m about to explode!”

Bishop Malise cleared his throat. “I see.”

“And to tell you the truth, Bishop, I’m having these dirty, monstrous thoughts right now…about you.”

“Oh, is that, er, so?”

Putting on a sad, pouty voice, “And now I’m sure that you are also having naughty, sinful thoughts about me, and I just don’t see how this can be resolved. What do you think, Bishop?”

“Well, er, do…hail Marys and, er…” then, in a rapid whisper, “come back here in an hour.”

cN3OIgo.png

Got him, right there in the chapel, no less. We had our fun, and a couple of months later, well, this happened.

wFa21kX.png

Oops.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Now to reply to replies from...er, two months ago

Because she really wants a ghostly audience knowing everythign :)
Depends on the ghosts

They are the ideal people to talk to. You can relieve you conscience by confessing, but the people you confess to are in a different reality and can never tell anyone else in your reality, so your secrets remain safe. Certainly far safer than trusting a medieval priest and their... eclectic.. approach to the sanctity of confession (or indeed any of the other sacraments).
Yes, medieval priests are certainly that

Ooh...interesting.

Eh, sanctity of confession is a bit hit and miss in carholic dogmatic history, but most local priests did keep it if only for pragmatic reasons (the peasants will know if they talk). Of course, if you have an archbishop as your confessor and you're the king, they have reason to hold this over you even if they never say it. It's why royal families tended to have personal or quasi-royal chapels or abbeys to have personal confessor in, to keep them locked into separate spheres of politics.

The britsh Royal family incidentally still does this so it's not an empty concern.
Funny you should mention about private locations for confession.

Does this mean that we’re the ghosts in the other realm? :oops:

Very glad to have this back.
Seems likely

Most excellent! ;)
Thank you

Reactions:
Excellent. A good old sexy priest. This should have no unfortunate repercussions whatsoever.

Reactions:
Putting it mildly! On the plus side at least it is only a Bishop, having the Pope's illegitimate child would be really awkward.

An on the plus side the Macbeths are famously understanding and forgiving, so even if her husband does find out it will all be fine..... Oh. Oh dear.

• 1Haha
Reactions:
My my, this might prove awkward.

Reactions:
I don't suppose there's much chance I'll ever properly finish this, so I'll give a quick summary of the rest of Margaret's life. Like many of the kings and queens before him, poor Macbeth was excommunicated and overthrown, finishing his life as the marshal in Margaret's court, thankfully remaining in blissful, naive ignorance to his dying day that not a single one of his supposed children was actually his own. Meanwhile, Margaret continued to scheme, and her marrying off her son and heir Colin to the only daughter of the Duke of Lothian ultimately led to the Buchanan's elevation to Dukedom under her grandson Rory (Margaret's eldest son, Malcolm, tragically died of illness earlier on). She also continued to seduce her way across the northern lands, at one point even taking the young King of Scotland, Gilchrist, as her lover while being three times his age.

But as time went on, life became increasingly hollow for Margaret. The stresses of losing her position of queen, the deaths of her husband and son, and the increasingly severe demands she placed upon her own health and body to try and preserve her beauty and youth, all resulted in her paying the ultimate price. She died of a heart attack in 1141, at the age of 61.

D55nN0R.png

May God have mercy on her soul.

• 1Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Always nice to have a bit of closure to these stories, even if Margaret’s final years seem to have proven mostly downcast. Thanks for giving us a final overview.

Meanwhile, “Having no skills to keep the realm together, his reign may be doomed to fail. Long live Earl Colin!” is an hilarious introduction for her heir. Perhaps a story for another day?

Reactions:
Always nice to have a bit of closure to these stories, even if Margaret’s final years seem to have proven mostly downcast. Thanks for giving us a final overview.

Meanwhile, “Having no skills to keep the realm together, his reign may be doomed to fail. Long live Earl Colin!” is an hilarious introduction for her heir. Perhaps a story for another day?
I played up to the 1180s and Colin was actually fairly boring. He spent most of his time carousing and trying to be liked, while everyone else was really just waiting for him to die. Rory was far more interesting as he actually had some semblance of intellect and used it to delve too deeply into things man was not meant to know, ending up as a blessed lunatic. He also came a hair's breadth away from claiming the crown of Scotland in a rebellion war, only to die a couple of days before total victory (The war ended when he died because it was a weak claim not inherited by his son. I was at 85% warscore!). His son Tadhg died 'under mysterious circumstances' less than two months after becoming Duke, leaving Lothian in the hands of his young daughter Maud and her regent Marthoc, one of Margaret's surviving daughters who is quite a character in her own right.

• 1Like
Reactions:
As DB said thank you for closing this one out, even in summary form. I am surprised Margaret succumbed to a heart attack, given her habits I really though it would have been something less savoury that got her in the end.

You could read her life as a morality tale of sorts, her final empty years and out-living her husband and eldest son being the price of her living a life of ill-repute. Not how she would see it I am sure, but that reading is available to those so inclined.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Not how she would see it I am sure, but that reading is available to those so inclined.
That will be the Victorian interpretation when the time comes

Reactions: