• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
also funny when you start a romance with your spouse, leave a letter and they say they "can't encourage you" like it's somehow inappropriate for someone to love their spouse and leave letters for them. what if you get caught!

• 6Haha
  • 1Like
Reactions:
That actually makes sense lol.

The first guy that throws corpses is just an asshole. But two guys throwing them at each other? now that's a rivalry.

(If someone can throw it first... why can't I throw my plague stained courtier at them FIRST?)

In a game I played as Haestein the Norse (or however you write his name) and decide for fluff to move my Norse guys to Egypt. Count Eudes of Anjou is my rival... he would come down to EGYPT to throw corpse over my walls. WHAT!! He's not next door at all... and the boat trip would have contaminated all of them LOLOL I was like .... welp... that wasn't how it was planned to happen :p

• 4Like
Reactions:
(If someone can throw it first... why can't I throw my plague stained courtier at them FIRST?)

What got me about this one is that I was the King of England, seated in the North Riding. One of my Dukes from Dover comes up, throws a corpse at me - and that's about personal rivalry? Fuck that, I should have had legal basis to revoke his title and probably execute him for treason.

And then, the infection killed ONLY my daughter, and then me. Why did we even go outside? What were the peasants doing?

Reactions:
There's a lot of issues with the romance scheme. As I understood it, this scheme is basically meant to emulate how chivalrous knights would court damsels and the like. But for some reason, you can use it on your own wife.

So, naturally I've gotten some weird events where I have a rival competitor for my own wife's attentions even though in the actual middle ages pursuing another man's wife would essentially be adultery and a crime! Why are you even allowed to use the romance scheme on your own wife? It's not like she had the opportunity to romantically rebuff you like an unmarried maiden would

• 1Like
Reactions:
So, naturally I've gotten some weird events where I have a rival competitor for my own wife's attentions even though in the actual middle ages pursuing another man's wife would essentially be adultery and a crime! Why are you even allowed to use the romance scheme on your own wife? It's not like she had the opportunity to romantically rebuff you like an unmarried maiden would

Maybe getting married is too easy. Maybe the women should be much more resistant to marrying someone they don't love by having negative modifiers, countered by the positive modifiers of "my dad, the king, wants me to do this" and "well, you are a king..."

If you manage to get a marriage of convenience, that the woman didn't want - you could probably expect her to cheat on you, unless she's scared of you. You probably wouldn't even mind, because it's a marriage of convenience.

Reactions:
273D5D531A302FEE6448FDADF9BE77587D100B8D

My incestuous brother exposed our incestuous relationship which was a choice.

• 4Haha
Reactions:
Maybe getting married is too easy. Maybe the women should be much more resistant to marrying someone they don't love by having negative modifiers, countered by the positive modifiers of "my dad, the king, wants me to do this" and "well, you are a king..."

If you manage to get a marriage of convenience, that the woman didn't want - you could probably expect her to cheat on you, unless she's scared of you. You probably wouldn't even mind, because it's a marriage of convenience.

This is the middle ages, society was incredibly patriarchal and female self-determination was basically a minor concern to the power structure at the time. Women didnt have a choice in who they married

Reactions:
I was once a prisoner in a foreign realm and continued to receive events about my children (who are at my capital) asking me questions and giving me options to set their personality traits. I also continued to receive many other events related to my Lifestyle focus which involved interacting with characters back at home such as having conversations with them etc. Needless to say this is highly immersion breaking. I think all such events need to have a pre-trigger that checks whether the character is imprisoned and if yes then not fire that event.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Genius heir becomes the definition of idiocy after the forced multiple choice events, that are the parts of supposed education (gluttonous, shy, compassionate). Comes of age, is immediately thrown into knighthood for accelerated elimination from succession, and the player starts to seduce wife for another eligible heir.
The genius idiot becomes leper. Survives with disfigurement.
New son is born. There is still hope for the campaign (main goal is to survive as permia).
The genius idiot leper heir gets through all the impossible fights, so no chance of removal by the battlefield. 0 prowess, amazing survivor.
New son is dead, mysterious.
Scandal erupts. The genius idiot leper heir and the player's wife, the genius idiot leper heir's mother, are in deep love.
The author is tired. Rage quit, delete all the saves.

• 4Haha
Reactions:
Not an event, but when I double click my Pope's title I do find it somewhat immersion breaking that his 'duchy' doesn't exist on the map, and to be shown that he lives on a deserted strip of coastal sand:

He is in alexandria? When I conquered Rome as Sabians, the coptic pope suddenly started crashing all my parties as il-tempered drunk hobo, and he was apparently in my court, dispite not being coptic or controlling any coptic provinces.

• 1Haha
Reactions:
He is in alexandria? When I conquered Rome as Sabians, the coptic pope suddenly started crashing all my parties as il-tempered drunk hobo, and he was apparently in my court, dispite not being coptic or controlling any coptic provinces.

He is yeah. Although it's controlled by Muslims, so guess he must have dug himself a hole in the sand somewhere to hide, as it's the only logical reason I can think of that they haven't kicked him out or even killed him.

This is the middle ages, society was incredibly patriarchal and female self-determination was basically a minor concern to the power structure at the time. Women didnt have a choice in who they married
You're actually confusing medieval standards with Victorian standards. We have quite a lot of information about the medieval era written during Victorian times which mostly project Victorian ethics and/or misconceptions, and occasionally then-relevant cultural debates (this is where the idea that people before Columbus thought the world was flat came from; people were trying to paint the Church as ignoramuses because of a then-relevant debate over evolution and archaeology).
While self-determination (male or female) tended to be lacking in marriages, for women who weren't already betrothed, their guardians did their best to take their daughters' preferences into consideration. It just wasn't the actual make-or-break aspect, especially for the extremely powerful.

• 1Like
Reactions:
He is yeah. Although it's controlled by Muslims, so guess he must have dug himself a hole in the sand somewhere to hide, as it's the only logical reason I can think of that they haven't kicked him out or even killed him.
The Coptics in Egypt were actually relatively tolerated in real history - unlike in the game, a popular revolt caused by religious persecution was a real and scary threat, far better to leave the Copts alone as long as they pay their taxes (Jizya included)

Reactions:
The Coptics in Egypt were actually relatively tolerated in real history - unlike in the game, a popular revolt caused by religious persecution was a real and scary threat, far better to leave the Copts alone as long as they pay their taxes (Jizya included)

Fair enough, although I will also note the county it shows as where he is located is not Coptic and neither are any of the lands remotely near him. Not until reaching Makuria do Coptic counties begin to appear.

What got me about this one is that I was the King of England, seated in the North Riding. One of my Dukes from Dover comes up, throws a corpse at me - and that's about personal rivalry? Fuck that, I should have had legal basis to revoke his title and probably execute him for treason.

And then, the infection killed ONLY my daughter, and then me. Why did we even go outside? What were the peasants doing?
Oh there were plenlty of "so unimportant the game does not simulate them" courtiers that got infected and died to it, making a Infection chain to you and your daughter.

There's a lot of issues with the romance scheme. As I understood it, this scheme is basically meant to emulate how chivalrous knights would court damsels and the like. But for some reason, you can use it on your own wife.

You are mixing up sex, marriage and romance.
The three have nothing to do with one another.

Marriage was done for Political reasons. Or trait reasons, in case of the player.
Sex had to happen to make babies. Attraction is entirely optional. A Marriage in that time was closer to prostitution then romance.
If the Marraige partners actually had Attraction (Lover) or even Love (Romance) feeling for each other, that was a happy side effect.

Reactions:
there is a chance you're the most powerful man in the world but apparently any rando can just waltz into your wife's bedroom and try to murder her since the concept of guards is unheard of

Not disagreeing with you, but you just described the final element of many of my (and everyone else too) plots.
Damn i miss the manure explosion.

I was about to make a post about this yesterday.

If I'm in a civil war with my vassal who is trying to put himself on the throne, I shouldn't get an event where I am visiting his castle and can help him reorganize his library or dining hall. Tons of stupid events like this.

Or I'm in a war with a vassal and I get an event where he's at my tourney and I can put him to some unwanted task to mess with him- uh, buddy we're at war. You can capture and ransom him FFS

A quick filter in the game code could disable this but , it seems like a really bad oversight.

This is left over crap from CK2... when events didn't have such in depth hooks, and limiters...

It seems they just didn't have the patience, or foresight to take the next step and stop stupid events like this from triggering when they really shouldn't be..

Nothing like my wife getting knocked up by me while I'm half way across the world fighting in a Crusade... <-- CK2 meme joke.. Which is still present in CK3....

Apparently I have no problem teleporting from Jerusalem to England instantly to file some books for my wife as well, all while at the same time leading a platoon of horsemen across the desert...

Reactions: