To Death or Dishonour or not to death or Dishonour ?

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Tisifoni12

Field Marshal
20 Badges
Oct 29, 2012
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Stellaris
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Surviving Mars
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Cities: Skylines
With so much that came with this expansion now integrated free into the base game, if I don't think I'll ever play as Hungary, Romania Czechoslovakia or Yugoslavia does this now offer me anything ?

No. At this point it's basically only worthwhile for the focus trees. I've played three of the four - haven't played as Czechoslovakia - and thought they were all pretty decent overall. Not that great. Better than the TfV ones, not as good as any others. The Yugoslavia one is probably the best, especially with the update it got recently. Each path (democratic, fascist, communist) feels fleshed out, unlike some of the others like Hungary where the communist and democratic paths are pretty underwhelming. The fascist and non-aligned ones are good though. Restoring the Austro-Hungarian Empire is cool. Honestly can't remember much about Romania's tree.

Unless you're really interested in these countries, I wouldn't recommend going out of your way to buy the expansion. It's very much non-essential.

Reactions:
Borrowing from @Mister Analyst example above,

From the HOI4 wiki, the following features were advertised for Death or Dishonor:

Released on 2017-06-14.
  • Four New Focus Trees: Experience the war from the difficult perspectives of Flag of Hungary Hungary, Flag of Romania Romania, Flag of Czechoslovakia Czechoslovakia, and Flag of Yugoslavia Yugoslavia.
  • Equipment Conversion: Update your arsenal by converting older units - or make use of captured enemy vehicles and gear.
  • New Diplomatic Interactions: License military technology to bring other nations' weapons to the field or sell your advances to the highest bidder.
  • New Puppet Interactions: Fascist countries get new subject levels like Reichskommissariat, with access to licenses, industry and strategic resources. The instated governments are held in an iron grip, making it harder for them to break free.
  • New Music and Art: 3 new thematic musical tracks from composer Andreas Waldetoft, new art content for the four focus nations, and new troop voiceovers.

If you mean conversion of say tanks to assault guns it is in the base game.
No, but the basic functionality does get unlocked by several of the DLC (WTT and LaR from recollection) as its needed for certain focus tree stuff. You still need DoD for getting the supporting techs and such as well.

Reactions:
No, but the basic functionality does get unlocked by several of the DLC
Even when going back to patch 1.4.2 (before WtT) the basic functionality is unlocked with DoD disabled. NGameDLC::EGameDLCFeature has no entry for equipment conversion. Seems like the check was never implemented to begin with.
as its needed for certain focus tree stuff
Outside of DoD, the string "conver" is nowhere to be found in focus trees or their English localization.
the supporting techs and such
Is there anything else to equipment conversion except the basic functionality and the supporting techs?

I think it's a stretch to list two small techs – one of which is a copy-and-paste of the other without even adapting its ai_will_do date – as one of the four feature items on the store page.

Death or Dishonor is one of my favourite DLCs, playing as the nations trapped between Germany and USSR, you will have to pick a side. It makes playing the respective minors 10 times more enjoyable.

- As Czechoslovakia, you can build forts in a whim and go for Extensive Conscription with a focus, by the time Germany attacks you, you will be more than ready to change history and defend yourself. On external politics, you can trust in the west, for form your own Little Entente faction with Yugoslavia and Romania, beside the usual going left or going right.
- As Hungary, you can restore Austria-Hungary and slowly take back its previous territories. You can finally end the regency with a Habsburg, fascist or democratic king. Or you can go the historical way and become a fascist regency. You also have the possibility to recreate the 1919 Hungarian Soviet Republic with a huge boost of manpower in a Soviet-styled army.
- As Romania, 3 out of 6 neigbours want a piece of you, good luck navigating that. To protect against this, you created a web of alliances in Eastern Europe: Polish-Romanian Alliance, Little Entente and Balkan Pact. On internal politics, you start out as a democracy, but given the changing wind of Europe, a democracy between totalitarian regimes may not be the best solution.
- As Yugoslavia, you have many ethnicities in one country, a sense of Yugoslav nationalism has not yet been achieved, not only that you will have to defend against the territorial claims of your neighbours, but you will also have to find a way to keep your country united in all this chaos. Everyone wants more freedom and believes they are underrepresented by the Yugoslav state.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Even when going back to patch 1.4.2 (before WtT) the basic functionality is unlocked with DoD disabled. NGameDLC::EGameDLCFeature has no entry for equipment conversion. Seems like the check was never implemented to begin with.
yeah I think I had it mixed up with license production/tech share when I answered. will look into it

• 1Like
Reactions: