Imperator: Rome Developer Diary - 12th of October 2020

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I don't like tree systems. Not mission trees, nit focus trees, nor invention trees. Even if all systems have a tree system under the hood.

Why exactly don't you like them? And what would be your prefered system instead?

Why exactly don't you like them? And what would be your prefered system instead?
1. I don't like to see everython in advance (ok, if I play often enough than I know it)
2. deterministic: maybe a decision should not have always the same result, should depent on some context in the world. E.g. I like the Stellaris research more.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Yes! I have always liked tech trees since the first time I played Civ as a kid.

I hope what we see now is just the early alpha grapthics and that in the release version we will have custom graphics. As an example I would love if the Lighthouses invention came with a nice graphic of a lighthouse.

I also hope that there are going to be a lot of exciting inventions. As a kid I loved how working towards some inventions in Civ got me really excited knowing that when I finally go the tech it would give me a new unit or a wonder that could completely change the game making it possible for me to beat AI nations that I may not had much chance against before I got that invention.

• 1Like
Reactions:
As a Seleucid fanboy I would wish to see that Adiabene would be converted to a integratial part of the seleucid empire at the beginning of the game for historic reasons. Earliest historic findings indicate that Adiabene formed around the 1. century BC due to Seleucid disintegration. Also it starts of as a tributary which makes not much sence to me and cannot be integrated without that rare event in which a tributary turns client kingdom. Also the fact that it continues to provide miliatry access to Seleucid enemies makes me hate them Assyrians even more. Keep on doing a great job guys!

I hope what we see now is just the early alpha grapthics and that in the release version we will have custom graphics. As an example I would love if the Lighthouses invention came with a nice graphic of a lighthouse.

One nice way to go with the graphics, imho, is to kinda similar what Humankind is doing, showing colored beautiful pictures of the researched techs. Yes, I know it would demand a lot of time/money, but still...

• 2Like
Reactions:
I think the teaser might refer to a Governership overhaul.

The highlighted settlements mostly correspond to the province capitals and this is a province mapmode. However, for the capitals that have a temple, the name of the capital is replaced with the name of the temple, such as: City of Susiana is the capital and has Temple of Daniel so shown with temple's name but Qom is the capital of Media Ch. but has no temple so shown as Qom. Meanwhile other temples such as Temple of Aqola or Temple of Eridu are not shown. So this is not a religious sites mapmode but a province mapmode.

From this point on I will be very speculative but this might indicate some provinces headed by a civil settlement while the others a religious settlement as it is the case for Crusader Kings. So, maybe they add a system where you can have different types of governors/vassals such as feudal and clergy.
I would to give civil/military orders/goals to my Governors and Generals, but maybe they do not execute what I want or do it their own way.

Wow. This is spectacular. It does not look like the same game anymore. I really like that you also focus on the trade route which always played a huge role in the game. And I always liked the idea of trading in your games. The teaser really made wanna see more on this topic:p

Wow. This is spectacular. It does not look like the same game anymore.

I watched lately a youtube video, which was released shortly after the game release. And that remembered me, how many positive changes this game already received (but they were really necessary) It's truly a much better game now and hopefully this pursued direction doesn't stops :)

• 1Like
Reactions:
Isn’t in the game already?

Blocking exports is only generally per trade good possible (and additionally also for the +1 capital province surplus for all trade goods), but not specified for provinces.
Slave promotion blocking has to be done on territory base.

Reactions:
Blocking exports is only generally per trade good possible (and additionally also for the +1 capital province surplus for all trade goods), but not specified for provinces.
Slave promotion blocking has to be done on territory base.

oh thanks. Why would you micromanage trade on provincial level? And wouldn’t you prefer to decide which territory and thus, product, you want to increase production by increasing/decreasing only that territory slave population?

oh thanks. Why would you micromanage trade on provincial level? And wouldn’t you prefer to decide which territory and thus, product, you want to increase production by increasing/decreasing only that territory slave population?

I think he isn't asking for taking away the option to prevent slave promotion on territory base, but instead asking for an additional and more comfortable way to do it for bigger areas. I agree that it is surely not needed in any playthrough or for any startegy, but I can see why he is asking for it - there are cases where this would be helpful.

For the trading: Provincial managment would be especially helpful for food - imagine you have a province aside your capital one, where you both have a metropolis and other cities...and some food producing territories as well. If you now decide to feed you urban population there with the surplusses of those rural territories, you get constantly spammed with purchase requests you have to evaluate (sure you can ignore them and wait until they go away - but what is if you have excess food ressource elsewhere waiting to be sold?). The only (IMO, insufficient) alternative currently is to disable trading the affected food trade goods empirewide...but then you can't sell the surplus elsewhere, too.

• 2Like
Reactions:
I think he isn't asking for taking away the option to prevent slave promotion on territory base, but instead asking for an additional and more comfortable way to do it for bigger areas. I agree that it is surely not needed in any playthrough or for any startegy, but I can see why he is asking for it - there are cases where this would be helpful.

For the trading: Provincial managment would be especially helpful for food - imagine you have a province aside your capital one, where you both have a metropolis and other cities...and some food producing territories as well. If you now decide to feed you urban population there with the surplusses of those rural territories, you get constantly spammed with purchase requests you have to evaluate (sure you can ignore them and wait until they go away - but what is if you have excess food ressource elsewhere waiting to be sold?). The only (IMO, insufficient) alternative currently is to disable trading the affected food trade goods empirewide...but then you can't sell the surplus elsewhere, too.

what is happening with slave promotion is that cities are beeing overcrowded with wrong culture or culture group up to freeman and this can lead to choking the main cultures to be promoted cause you have sufficient ratios by the game rules,

example

Desired ratio of freemans is 30 % and all slots are taken with wrong cultures or groups, so your main culture will not promote (if there is any of tribesman or slave) cause there is no space for aditional freeman untill the existing one is assimilated and promoted.

About blocking the trade on provincial lvl, main reason is capital province i want all my earthenware to stay and make my citizens happier instead of selling it for .5 coin , if i want to block the trade from there i have to block entire nations earthenware export on the trade screen just to keep surplus of 10 of them to push my citizens on max

Reactions:
Ahh, finally, proper tech trees!

• 1Like
Reactions:
what is happening with slave promotion is that cities are beeing overcrowded with wrong culture or culture group up to freeman and this can lead to choking the main cultures to be promoted cause you have sufficient ratios by the game rules,

example

Desired ratio of freemans is 30 % and all slots are taken with wrong cultures or groups, so your main culture will not promote (if there is any of tribesman or slave) cause there is no space for aditional freeman untill the existing one is assimilated and promoted.

About blocking the trade on provincial lvl, main reason is capital province i want all my earthenware to stay and make my citizens happier instead of selling it for .5 coin , if i want to block the trade from there i have to block entire nations earthenware export on the trade screen just to keep surplus of 10 of them to push my citizens on max

In the Culture interface, you can change the civic right for a whole culture pops to stop being promoted from slaves. They will not be happy, though. Blocking on the provincial level feels artificial, blocking a whole culture feels more real and there are consequences. On the other hand, blocking on territory level can be explained for production purposes. The farm/plant owner is a slaver and does not care which culture are you. Alas, we could say the same about the Governor.

I think the slave promotion allowed button is the one that should go. The buildings shall have this feature enabled, for example, a slave estate shall stop promotion of slaves as one of its features.

my two cents here

• 2Like
Reactions:
In the Culture interface, you can change the civic right for a whole culture pops to stop being promoted from slaves. They will not be happy, though. Blocking on the provincial level feels artificial, blocking a whole culture feels more real and there are consequences. On the other hand, blocking on territory level can be explained for production purposes. The farm/plant owner is a slaver and does not care which culture are you. Alas, we could say the same about the Governor.

I think the slave promotion allowed button is the one that should go. The buildings shall have this feature enabled, for example, a slave estate shall stop promotion of slaves as one of its features.

my two cents here

So you advise to block entire culture instead of having it on provincial level or because you want it in few tetitoris? This sounds a bit off..