• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
[...]
1. The Galactic Empire is unfortunately single player only. We looked into Multiplayer support but unfortunately we didn't have time, and we were also worried about balance issues. Races and Secret Techs are balanced to be used only with each other, and allowing free mixing of races and techs (as the empire allows) leads to crazy combinations that are simply beyond our ability balance.
[...]

Would it be possible to enable multiplayer matches with heroes from Galactic Empires with all their passive abilities from this mode? Kind of as a showdown between two player empires, to put them to the ultimate test. This would be very unbalanced of corse, and probably there should be a big blinking red warning about that, but i think it could be fun once in a while. :)

Either way, this new mode seems great!
Im curious about the smaller changes in the Triceratops-Patch, since the last balance changes in combination with the AI-Personality-Traits did something very good to the feel of the game. Can't say what exactly it is, but it's better.

Reactions:
HI guys! Thanks for all your kind words and support! We will be doing a dev journal soon on Galactic Empires, but just to temper people's expectations a bit:

1. The Galactic Empire is unfortunately single player only. We looked into Multiplayer support but unfortunately we didn't have time, and we were also worried about balance issues. Races and Secret Techs are balanced to be used only with each other, and allowing free mixing of races and techs (as the empire allows) leads to crazy combinations that are simply beyond our ability balance.

2. When playing in your empire, you're mainly playing on planets to earn progress to play on the next planet. This progress takes the form of unlocks and passive bonuses, so you can experiment with new strategies and combos. This means no space battles, I'm afraid :(

On a personal level, playing on Empire planets for me feels like I'm playing 50% a brand new game. The new combos combined with the unique planet traits and objectives really shake things up, and I'm really looking forwards to seeing you guys play with them.
thanks for the open communication, this looks to be an awesome update, looking forward to seeing more new units too!

Reactions:
Probably not the most important comment but as someone who got this only a couple of weeks ago and also has no age of wonders experience.

I'm really happy with this game, and you certainly don't mess about with DLC.

So cheers for that.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Thinking, I see two questions popping up. This faction is seriously melee-heavy. I wonder:
  1. Which secret techs would work best with this faction? Perhaps Heritor and Celestian?
  2. Will they have a stagger resist mod or will their units have stagger resist as a natural part of the paladin units?

Reactions:
Thinking, I see two questions popping up. This faction is seriously melee-heavy. I wonder:
  1. Which secret techs would work best with this faction? Perhaps Heritor and Celestian?
Heritor would definitely go well since they are supposed to specialize in Entropy and Arc damage. I'd also wager that Synthesis is a good synergy as I assume most units are mechanical therefore Integrated by default and Arc + Compromise can demolish a mech-heavy army.
I'm worried about Xenoplague though since the mods synergize with biological and cyborg units and the Oathbound look to have a mostly, maybe fully, mechanical unit roster.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I definitely want to try void tech with the oathbound, teleporting titan sounds awesome. First i'm going with celestian though, for the obvious archon vibe

Reactions:
  2. Will they have a stagger resist mod or will their units have stagger resist as a natural part of the paladin units?

The screens do imply melee focus, but perhaps secondary ranged attacks, or the seers, invite different strategies.
Xenoplague does seem to be a less synergetic approach, like promethean on assembly in my view. Doable, but not optimal.

I'd definitely use heritor. Very interested in how the Entrophy line expands your options.
Staggering I thinkmight become a key counterplay element against the Oathbound, with stagger resistance not part of the racialkit, or relatively late in the techtree.

Reactions:
Who's coming up with all these concepts of races. Surely smoked some good stuff. Undead cyborgs were already funny, but now we got cyber paladins looking for the holy grail.
I mean, working at Triumph must be really cool for creative people. Being allowed to do the wildest stuff.

• 1Haha
Reactions:
Who's coming up with all these concepts of races. Surely smoked some good stuff. Undead cyborgs were already funny, but now we got cyber paladins looking for the holy grail.
I mean, working at Triumph must be really cool for creative people. Being allowed to do the wildest stuff.
Most of these races are actually inspired by years of Sci-Fi:
Assembly is based on the Borg from Star Trek;
Syndicate is based on the families from Dune;
Amazons are (I'm guessing) based on the artwork from the Heavy Metal magazine.
Oathbound Titan seems similar to Gundams and the Holy Mission motif is probably influenced by Warhammer 40K.
The Oathbound Seer's precognitive ability might be inspired by the 'Foundation' books.

There are probably many more influences and derivatives, but this is not a critique. They are indeed used in a creative way and are made to make sense to exist in the same universe. And it's fun (at least for me) to spot the references.

Reactions:
Most of these races are actually inspired by years of Sci-Fi:
Assembly is based on the Borg from Star Trek;
Syndicate is based on the families from Dune;
Amazons are (I'm guessing) based on the artwork from the Heavy Metal magazine.
Oathbound Titan seems similar to Gundams and the Holy Mission motif is probably influenced by Warhammer 40K.
The Oathbound Seer's precognitive ability might be inspired by the 'Foundation' books.

There are probably many more influences and derivatives, but this is not a critique. They are indeed used in a creative way and are made to make sense to exist in the same universe. And it's fun (at least for me) to spot the references.

Amazons from heavy metal magazines? The Amazons of Planetfall belong to some of the most demures pure-women-societies in science fiction. For that I am thankful. I do not like oversexualized representation of both men or women. It often feels imature.
I would say the amazonians are more based on the dragon riders of pern or similar stories.

@Dreepa
Most planetfall factions are based off basic sci-fi tropes, but some contain cool little twists.
For example, the Kir'ko are inspired by various hivemind insectoid races (Enders game, Warhammer 40k, Starship troopers). But they have the cool twist, that they are actually an ex-hivemind, which is something that is very rarley explored to my knowledge.
Or the sharkan are the reptiloids who infiltrate various goverments. But they do this not in the present, but in the far future.
Or the Assmembly, who are cyborgs akin to the borg. But they are very individualistic.
Or the vanguard who aesteticly representing a humanity on its first steps between the stars. But instead of discovering the universe for the very first time, they actually do it for the second time.
Or the amazons, which could be considered a play with the enviromentally friendly noble savage species. But instead of rejecting technology, they very heavily and openly incorporate it into their society.
And instead of psionics enabling humans to reach a higher plain of understanding, or forming a united society of telepaths, the various syndiacte houses simply use their new powers to become an backstabbing and infigting class of aristocrats.
And the dvar are russians instead of scottish/scandinavians dwarfs...? okay not everything has a memorable subversion.

Yet I like these small twists, as they combine familiar tropes with a dosis of originality. Which is why I like the planetfall univserse very much.
It makes the different factions easy to grasp and understand, but also offers some new incentives to make them more, than just a copy of standard tropes.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Why are't they swimming? They are walking on the sea? The producer is toolazy…View attachment 641883
IMG_20201015_203432.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions:
Heritor would definitely go well since they are supposed to specialize in Entropy and Arc damage. I'd also wager that Synthesis is a good synergy as I assume most units are mechanical therefore Integrated by default and Arc + Compromise can demolish a mech-heavy army.
I'm worried about Xenoplague though since the mods synergize with biological and cyborg units and the Oathbound look to have a mostly, maybe fully, mechanical unit roster.
Their Infantry unit with the big glaives, which I presume are their core T1, might be Biological or Cyborg, but we don't know yet for sure. Also Bio Spore mods can be given to Mechanical units and can affect Mechanical units that have mods from the Xenoplague tree so there's at least that. Most would probably just dabble a little into it for pods, sleeper xenomomes, and some free meat shield pustules though.

Reactions:
How is a t3 fly_er fixing the rest of the t3 units (most of them anyway) that are useless?!
We get another race that will be good in 1vs1 - this is nice, but Vanguard and Ama are still unplayable (well, single player noobs can play with them, sure).
Re-design 1vs1 balance, fly, float, water_walk please!! This MIGHT trigger people playing the game and making content and this is how you make money - not by providing short attention single player noobs with new graphics :)

Reactions:
The screens do imply melee focus, but perhaps secondary ranged attacks, or the seers, invite different strategies.
Xenoplague does seem to be a less synergetic approach, like promethean on assembly in my view. Doable, but not optimal.

I'd definitely use heritor. Very interested in how the Entrophy line expands your options.
Staggering I thinkmight become a key counterplay element against the Oathbound, with stagger resistance not part of the racialkit, or relatively late in the techtree.

Well, I hope there is a way to somewhat counter early, otherwise, most players would likely end up with celestian since it has a stagger resist mod as the first mod to get. When you have a unit set up that has no capability for range or stagger resist, it make little sense. Plus, with these guys are in battle suits, you would think that they would build the suits to be resistant to stagger.

Reactions:
Battlesuit is their unit core ability, i guess even the t1 core has it, perhaps only the seer doesn't

It probably provides advantages, that help melee combatants, but is weak to somekind of weakness. The advantages is probably more towards fighting ranged units

Reactions:
How is a t3 fly_er fixing the rest of the t3 units (most of them anyway) that are useless?!
We get another race that will be good in 1vs1 - this is nice, but Vanguard and Ama are still unplayable (well, single player noobs can play with them, sure).
Re-design 1vs1 balance, fly, float, water_walk please!! This MIGHT trigger people playing the game and making content and this is how you make money - not by providing short attention single player noobs with new graphics :)

What's unplayable about Amazon and Vanguard? They both have generally good unteched units and T1 mods, that alone puts them in a good space IMO. Decent starting boons too (free unit even for Amazons!).

Reactions:
Battlesuit is their unit core ability, i guess even the t1 core has it, perhaps only the seer doesn't

It probably provides advantages, that help melee combatants, but is weak to somekind of weakness. The advantages is probably more towards fighting ranged units

Can't believe I missed it. Seems right, perhaps it confers stagger resistance, or perhaps staggering doesn not break their melee overwatch (built-in counterattack skill on all battlesuits?).
Probably a line of faction specific upgrades for battlesuit only units...(Puretide Engrams?)

Well, I hope there is a way to somewhat counter early, otherwise, most players would likely end up with celestian since it has a stagger resist mod as the first mod to get. When you have a unit set up that has no capability for range or stagger resist, it make little sense. Plus, with these guys are in battle suits, you would think that they would build the suits to be resistant to stagger.

Very logical, well reasoned. I hopethe DD's will shed some light on this. Stagger is a very powerfull ability, perhaps by working around it with built-in counterattack as stated above, they will make this faction more ponderous or tactically vulnerable by not having the best action-economy.
Also, swooping melee overwatch might cover an area, with tireless ensuring a unit may overwatch more then once (see the description). Maybe this consumes actions, or maybe staggering this unit removes only its 'next turn' threat, but not the zone it guards.

Reactions:
Very logical, well reasoned. I hopethe DD's will shed some light on this. Stagger is a very powerfull ability, perhaps by working around it with built-in counterattack as stated above, they will make this faction more ponderous or tactically vulnerable by not having the best action-economy.
Also, swooping melee overwatch might cover an area, with tireless ensuring a unit may overwatch more then once (see the description). Maybe this consumes actions, or maybe staggering this unit removes only its 'next turn' threat, but not the zone it guards.

Perhaps, but just thinking logically. If I was making a battle suit like the ones this faction would use, stagger would be something I consider when making them.

Reactions:

I doubt it. Looking at the Champion's unit card, there's nothing that can't be explained by it being a Heavy Unit with Mechanical.

Reactions: