• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

EU4 - Development Diary - 13th of October 2020

Hello and Welcome to another development diary for Europa Universalis IV. Sadly Groogy is sick so we have to shuffle around our planning a bit and give you something that was not originally planned for today.

Today we’ll talk a little bit about what we are doing with Diplomacy for the expansion that is accompanying the 1.31 patch, as it's one of the major areas of it.

First of all, the concept of favors, which was introduced in The Cossacks, is now also unlocked by this expansion, as it will become far more used than just using it to get your allies to join you in offensive wars. More on that in later development diaries.

Secondly, we also changed how the favors were calculated, so instead of having a chance of getting a favor once a year, you now get favors overtime, depending on the same factors as impacted the chance of getting a favor before, ie the relative military power.

Finally, this new expansion will see a new diplomatic action called “Curry Favors”. This requires an active diplomat, and will slowly increase the amount of favors you have with them, depending on your diplomatic reputation and the target's opinion of you.

eu4_13.png

You will slowly lose favors over time with nations that are not your allies, nor you attempting to curry favors with.

As this was a rather short development diary, I’m adding a screenshot showing one of the events you can get if you have the horde ideagroup set.

eu4_14.png

Hopefully Groogy is back next week to write his development diary on Hedgehogs!

• 91Like
  • 20Love
Reactions:
This is exactly what I was thinking of suggesting. "Curry" vastly enhances alliance dynamics. No more keeping allies just because you might someday need those favors and hitting Increase trust button every time the number of favors goes over 20.

Will diplomats continue to be "immortals"? I.e. you can do an entire gameplay and the diplomats will be the same while all the other characters have a life expectancy. This should be changed. For each new diplomat there must be a bonus (like the advisors) making them more or less efficient.

• 4Like
Reactions:
The last update with 1.5 years of development still has a ton of balance problems and didnt fix any of the problems with religion and the HRE wich made playing in these regions unfun and now we are getting a new dlc next patch without even getting a free patch to fix some of the problems of the last DLC?

• 1Like
Reactions:
I appreciate your help in making minor nation campaigns less tedious!

I believe that gaining favours with other nations shouldn't be as simple as simply "being an ally" or "sending a diplomat to pay lip service".

Now, I understand that "simply being an ally" is indeed valuable enough to be considered a favor, the best positioned chess piece is the one which needn't move, there mere fact that you are allied with someone, already passively protects them via deterrence, and is indeed already favour-worthy.

But that alone doesn't seem to be reasonable enough for Brittany to convince Spain to go to war with France for no tangible reward. I believe Favours should require a bit more proactive actions to be earned.

The "Friends in Need" event comes to mind. You should have to actually benefit your friends at your expense to gain favours with them.
Stuff like steering trade, sharing institutional knowledge, paying off debts, royal marriages, granting military/naval access, embargoing and insulting their rivals, sending gifts, helping your allies deal with their rebels, etc...
And maybe some new mechanics that could be introduced such as some sort of foreign investment or sending military advisors to train and guide technologically inferior nations.

Your allies should feel like they truly owe you a bunch of favours because you did help them multiple times in the past.

Last edited:
  • 17Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
I don't have any issue with a new expansion being indicated, but I do think some more concrete information about what's being worked on would be good. We've got new flavour content for SEA, new mechanics for North American natives, a naval rework, a diplomacy rework, with some of that being a free update and some an expansion and some unclear. It's a bit of a jumbled mess right now.

Maybe the next dev diary could give some more concrete info on what's coming in terms of the patch and the expansion and how they relate to one another? Doesn't even need new content revealed for that purpose, just a clearer picture of what's happening.

• 5Like
Reactions:
Does it mean it will be easier to get favors, even with bigger nations?

Let's take a random OPM for instance. Provided that i take diplomatic ideas first, will i get favors faster with a bigger nation this way?

I'm afraid it might make the game easier. If i'm an opm i shouldn't be able to get favors with France too fast, if that's the case.
Think of it as your diplomats wining and dining the royal family. If you can make a personal connection with someone they will do things that don't make logical sense for their country.

Reactions:
Will diplomats continue to be "immortals"? I.e. you can do an entire gameplay and the diplomats will be the same while all the other characters have a life expectancy. This should be changed. For each new diplomat there must be a bonus (like the advisors) making them more or less efficient.
I agree, it will be annoying for some people but it would represent history well. Not every diplomat was efficient, same with colonists. You should also be able to spend mana to fire a bad one

• 1Like
Reactions:
Can a dev please respond, that now we know this is a full expansion, how much is intended to be free, how much is intended to be dlc, how much is unlocked if you already owned previous dlc, (like the new favours system being free for owners of cossacks) , as well which wave you plan to release the dlc in, q4 2020, or q1 2021. As there was a great deal of fatigue seeing emperor coming when we had dev diaries outlining German changes we all wanted for 2 years.
For immersion, it'd be very nice to see favors generated in part by events, royal marriages, skills, traits, missions etc (i.e. relative military power ideally should just be one of several sources); and also feeding into both event options and occasional event triggers.
Your Royal marriage giving a consort would also be good. A trait that increases additional favours I wouldn't like, as the diplo rep trait is more universal and so better.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I agree, it will be annoying for some people but it would represent history well. Not every diplomat was efficient, same with colonists. You should also be able to spend mana to fire a bad one
Whilst I would like mechanics to be more complex, it should be tied to things other than mana. As at present you can just invest mana in diplo or influence idea groups, as well as hire advisors to give extra diplo rep, tariffs, or improve relations which all represents what good diplomats could actually do

Reactions:
So you get a feature that was a nightmare in CK2 and annoying in CK3 and add it to EU4.
I guess there's no originality left among the Paradox games. Gotta have the same features in all games.

• 2Haha
Reactions:
I like this newly proposed feature a lot but i do wonder how its going to affect the current stimulus of power, or if diplomatically adept nations are going to emerge in the long run in diplomatic boiling pots such as the HRE coinciding with the Emperor DLC's retooling of that area. Which with that in mind makes sub-powerful electors very useful to curry favor with because HRE gameplay between AE is snail's pace, and trust is a valuable extra few points towards that electability score.

Not to mention every other AI seeking to try and max out relations will probably have favors flying every such-way.

One thing that I would like to see reworked in a diplomacy update is that when you call a independente ally for a offensive war with promise of land, if the ally have a war participation score equal or higher than your warscore participation, during peace treaty negotiations the ally shoud be capable of demanding provinces ocuppied by him if these provinces are inside their coring range, the quantity of provinces that the ally can claim is proportional to the number of provinces that the war leader want annex and proportional to the difference between warscore participation( the proportion don't need be 1:1).
This makes sense, the ally give significant contribution, he have a army, he already ocuppied the provinces, why he should abandon their conquests just because the player want?
So, participative allies would become active agents during peace negotiations, you would actively negotiate division and distribution of spoils of war and conquered land with your allies.

The current system where you promise land for a ally and annex various provinces while giving for your ally just one horrible province or call one ally for a offensive war and let's the ally make almost all the fight and give to them just 1-2 bad provinces while you annex 5-6 with pratically 0 repercussions is exploitative.

• 7Like
Reactions: