• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Rimbeau93

Recruit
5 Badges
Oct 6, 2020
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Cities: Skylines Industries
  • Crusader Kings III
Short summary of your issue CK3-Crashes and won't startup

Game Version 1.1.2

What OS are you playing on?
Windows

What platform are you using?
Steam

Do you have mods enabled? No

Have you tried verifying your game files (Steam only)?
Yes

How much "pain" is this causing you?

Please explain the issue you experienced in the most condensed way possible
I can launch the game once without any issues, and after some, what appears to be random, time the game will freeze and then crash (without creating any crash logs). When I go to relaunch the game via Steam, I get the launcher and hit play and the game instantly freezes. So far the only temporary fix appears to be restarting my PC, but having to do this every time is a bit annoying :).

Please explain how to reproduce the issue
So far it has not been reproducible, it will only happen randomly.

Is there anything else you think could help us identify/replicate the issue?
Windows Task Manager shows the game is not responding, and all usages are zero, i.e. CPU, RAM, Disk, GPU.

I have attached a save game
No

Last edited:
DXDIAG is a program you run from a command prompt or the Windows start menu 'run' dialog box (or 'search programs' in Windows 7 or later). After running it will open a window and start collecting info with a progress bar in the lower-left corner. When it completes click the 'save all information' button and save it to a file then attach that file here.

Please attach your Documents/Paradox/CK3/pdx_settings.txt .
From your Documents/Paradox/CK3/logs/ folder, attach system.log , error.log

DXDIAG is a program you run from a command prompt or the Windows start menu 'run' dialog box (or 'search programs' in Windows 7 or later). After running it will open a window and start collecting info with a progress bar in the lower-left corner. When it completes click the 'save all information' button and save it to a file then attach that file here.

I've attached the files you've mentioned. The error.log file will not upload since it is empty

Attachments

• pdx_settings.txt
    2,9 KB · Views: 0
  • system.log
    634 bytes · Views: 0
  • DxDiag.txt
    98,4 KB · Views: 0
I have not seen this before:
+++ WER1 +++:
Fault bucket 1877020801874427250, type 5
Event Name: WindowsBlackScreenDiagnosticsV1
but on googling it, that does not look good! Are you having any other issue in this machine?

What CPU and GPU temperatures are you seeing in the game?

I have not seen this before:

but on googling it, that does not look good! Are you having any other issue in this machine?

What CPU and GPU temperatures are you seeing in the game?
Haven't had any issues with the machine. CPU temps are on average ~58 degrees C and GPU sits around 60 degrees C. I've played around with some graphical settings, lowering everything, and it seems to be more stable, i.e. it will run longer without crashing. So maybe it is more of a hardware issue then a bug, but it is strange since I've been able to play more 'graphically demanding' games and have not seen this issue.

This bug has happened quite frequently today, so I've uploaded the files again. Maybe there is something there now, since the error log was not empty.

Attachments

• DxDiag.txt
    98,3 KB · Views: 0
  • error.log
    3,4 KB · Views: 0
  • system.log
    634 bytes · Views: 0
Looks like no more of those BlackScreens, but some AppHangs in CK3 now which were not there before. And yes, lots of disturbing errors there.

Please do a full **clean** re-install:

- move any valued save games elsewhere
- "uninstall" in Steam-CK3
- manually delete both the Steam/SteamApps/common/CK3 AND Documents/Paradox/CK3 folders
- re-install game in Steam, run a Steam Verify when done.
- add CK3.exe to the exceptions list of your antivirus app; ESPECIALLY if you have Windows Defender, add it to the Ransomware "Apps Allowed Through" list.
- start the game with no mods active and test with a new campaign - NOT with any existing save game

In particular make sure there are no files or folders left under either the Steam CK3 or Documents CK3 locations, before installing again.

Let us know if that changes things!

Looks like no more of those BlackScreens, but some AppHangs in CK3 now which were not there before. And yes, lots of disturbing errors there.

Please do a full **clean** re-install:

- move any valued save games elsewhere
- "uninstall" in Steam-CK3
- manually delete both the Steam/SteamApps/common/CK3 AND Documents/Paradox/CK3 folders
- re-install game in Steam, run a Steam Verify when done.
- add CK3.exe to the exceptions list of your antivirus app; ESPECIALLY if you have Windows Defender, add it to the Ransomware "Apps Allowed Through" list.
- start the game with no mods active and test with a new campaign - NOT with any existing save game

In particular make sure there are no files or folders left under either the Steam CK3 or Documents CK3 locations, before installing again.

Let us know if that changes things!
Unfortunately after doing a full **clean** re-install the game still crashes and won't open after the crash.

White screen and crash later, the same.
Please make your own thread with full problem history and system description. Thanks.

Unfortunately after doing a full **clean** re-install the game still crashes and won't open after the crash.
Can i get new copies of all those files after the clean reinstall please?

I have exactly the same crash and problems. I saw in Discord that is a bug in 1.1.x patches, I downgraded to 1.0.3 and by now it works. I wonder how will fix this issue in the next patch.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Here are the files after the clean re-install.
Still some worrying errors in that log, unfortunately. If you don't mind, can we see how this goes after the 1.2 game patch? While I don't have a date for it I am sure it worn't be long; say in Oct rather than Nov I'm pretty sure.

Reactions:
Still some worrying errors in that log, unfortunately. If you don't mind, can we see how this goes after the 1.2 game patch? While I don't have a date for it I am sure it worn't be long; say in Oct rather than Nov I'm pretty sure.
I've gone serval days without any crashes. I did two things.
  1. Clean re-installed NVIDIA drives
  2. Removed wifi and bluetooth USB adapters
Not sure which of the two appeared to fix the issue.