• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Persia is subjugated! Excellent.

Monotheism is doing badly. Islam is under threat from the Hellenes, and the Christians are besieged on all sides. To make matters worse, the Christians and Muslims are at odds with each other!

• 2Like
Reactions:
The Yavanrajya spanning the Tigris to the Indus and beyond is quite the sight. As ever the storytelling and the world building that goes along with it are superb. The scene with the Imam Youssef was very deftly done. I am in little doubt that Islam will continue to have a say in the affairs of the Raj, but I am intrigued to see how far the Yuddhamakos is willing to in order to uphold the 'purity' of Hellenism.

• 2Like
Reactions:
World Update #2 - 904 CE
Since I don’t have a save from 900, this world update is going to cover 800-904, which is more interesting anyway because of the holy wars. I wrote most of this update before cleaning up borders for pictures, so apologies if I missed anything in my final pass of the text that changed with border adjustments. Not sure what precipitated the explosion of Catholic heresies, which I stopped referring to by their in-game names since all of the heresies used in the game arose after the 11th century, as far as I can tell. Might have to change the names if the Catholics don't re-assert control soon, but I haven't thought out what exactly that would be or what those heresies would really be about - probably the inability of Catholics to defend their realms from heathens or something like that. Much to think about! Anyways...

World Update - 904 CE
EoRiY4g-YK2GVqm62dPIwd7BmeHNWeIVqJGq-70O5BnaYuqWqyYK3GoPTp-oK4YTAgYYuoP9upJwAE7MIlwPCBQB7aoiaIv8BUAh6njWARpc2Wve6MN3S0-z6GW4rIAEPRf6yE9i

Religions of the world, 904 CE

_jX1GsWLOz4EoCUqlpOSNboRkQKj2iH_eFhxrSWO-_Wzz2P5oFhS_DKSe6W6QROTreusCPXXNshfrJYLg230Trb-egkuvfoaQHfQJL-bjH6EcO97I00JT47_t7vcPqKXfzZafY8V

Cultures of the world, 904 CE

More so than the remarkably-violent 8th century, the 9th century was a hundred years of conquest, turmoil, dissolution, and death. In Europe, the fall of the Orthodox Christian east had been cautiously celebrated by Catholics at the time as a potential end to the schism of Christianity. Instead, it spread, prompting the foundation of new fault lines throughout Christendom. The greatest of these fault lines had arisen in British Isles, where every major power had turned against the decadence of the church in favor of local heresies by the middle of the century. Continental Europe was the chaotic battleground of what became known as the Roman Wars, because they were precipitated by the flight of Christians from the eastern Roman Empire after its dissolution by Theodoricos, the decadence of the Catholic church in Rome, and the fact that the fiercest fighting took place in and around the Holy Roman Empire with concern to the future of that institution.

JldonpTWkEm8IEj2brCI2f5Ow0iHO-jaZD_fKL8-6JCcIo0I6HKnl_VkKbGO9jR3BrNiwGipvut5hVoDEEjZi4scayl9TSvA2WsWoII6uSU056GFcm-eDAc-RKympLrQT9joDw2g

Italy was divided into two realms, with the south and central-east of the peninsula controlled by Greek pagans while the rest was nominally controlled by Catholics. In fact, Christian heretics were abundant throughout the countryside, equally opposed to the Catholics and the Despots. The efforts of the Greeks to convert the people had met with greater success than those of the Catholics, however, because the Olimpyans had some sympathy for the worshippers of Christ, where the Catholic Church could abide no dissent so near the holy see itself and frequently repressed and massacred heathens and heretics. The Italian Crusade represented a potential turning point in the decay of Italian Christianity, as it united the lands between Rome and the Alps under one Catholic king for the first time since the 830s. However, if King Nezir is unable to suppress the heretic nobility he has inherited as vassals, the security of Rome will be under threat once again with only the embattled Holy Roman Empire to protect it.

SNqip21WIybv30Mvtc1DROEPWzRkT-ogwMFsGMR6Suwj3-ZEVt6C74ussHwtnzpSr5fwoKUNeiGr-KghP_CQzuQmXeCfVlJsKqYVC-CQ9m9D03Z8NQ1i7ZeQozatHpdivxh_PhAh

The situation in France was all the more dire. In the 850s, vikings from Sweden and Denmark both made landfall on the coasts, expanding their raiding activities into full-blown conquests. The Swedish vikings had secured all of Normandy and large tracts of Brittany, while the Danes had taken Poitou and Bordeaux. Smaller viking lords had taken the rest of Brittany and Flanders. In the south, the success of Umayyad forays into France had inspired an uprising of Occitan Muslims that had succeeded in gaining independence from both the Umayyad Badshah and the Roman Emperor, united more by cultural resistance to foreign rule than by religion. The Occitan kingdom was nominally friendly with the heretic lords of the Burgundian Confederation, their closest fellow hold-outs against the Holy Roman Empire, which had swept into France and Aquitaine following the Merohingi-Karling disputes of the early 9th century.

S6UbljaJrwOMjznaiEUSrE-CQK5cPxb3tmzAbA-R6fU-MpmVr8mrKmE3dBxoIuarpiQutVyH_wjhTP6W5Ut7VspzQqLvA1stnqNotVDrAVsqo82II_QwnCko8t7gnTSB7Ta-Kd9S

Germany had become the crucible of empires, as the sprawling Kingdom of Pomerania and the Holy Roman Empire swallowed their neighbors in a race to eclipse the other. Despite its great extent of territory, the Empire is split along cultural and religious divides that have nearly threatened its existence since its establishment by the Karlings in 854. The current Empress Irmeltrud managed to unite the faithful Catholic lords thanks to her diplomatic charm, and her rule has seen the heretics expelled from the Imperial heartlands of Alemannia. At the same time, the heretics fully control the countryside around the Rhine, and the likely successor to the Empire, Duke Oberto of Verona, has had little success expelling the heretics from his own demesne.

The decline of the Karlings over the 9th century has been a great blessing for Pomerania, which has seized a great deal of power in the wake of the Karling’s feuds. When Karl I was deposed by the Frankish nobles in 793 for his cousin, his taking of Saxony had not only ignited Merohingi-Karling disputes, but also left Saxony extremely vulnerable by exiting it from the Empire. The Pomeranians exploited that weakness, and by 904, Saxony was reduced to a backwater state of disconnected territories awaiting conquest by a strong Pomeranian king. Bavaria is in a similar situation. That Pomeranian monarch might soon arrive in the personage of Magda the Warrior, the heir apparent to the incompetent King Sambor of Pomerania, who lies on his deathbed from an infected wound.

l6edyTIK33NHJdpcap21Vbo35DG9PQYID5gs3sIV8sMmOE9Um211MbhBQIn5mZryKHTF1EKNyTpsvOqjW1YE1JSBOK3yxOngLpmcdqKDbwTAplBC-q2h2XeyLJ3qDL1h1EcIkG_O

Scandinavia, formerly the home of fierce vikings, had become a second heartland for Catholics thanks to the conversion of the Noregr and Danish monarchs to Catholicism. This seems unlikely to last in 904, as Holmger ‘the Confessor’ of Denmark seems likely to be replaced by his electors with a Norse pagan, and Gunnhildr of Noregr has failed in three battles to discourage the vikings of Gotland from their invasion.

q73A6uzXqPA2Jvt-rjUEQQlnA0SpeeZ7EgrVTQEICdzQrW91JXhfMAU7HvPQ6sAMGOhsC_U9VVkF7_QQNDO244_EJYxH4aYZ82d0dYIBn0WrhYRWl8KXtjOFWGrx96uDzbRdaBY3

The British Isles were the great bastion of Christian heretics from the 840s, when the initial wave of heretical uprisings was met by acquiescence from the nobility throughout the region. The final nail in the coffin for British Catholicism was driven by Queen Praxida the Great, who arose from a Sami village on the coast of the White Sea to lead an invasion of York, where she adopted the language and heretical religion of the Anglo-Saxons there, then conquered the other English lords to unify England for the first time since the Roman conquest, nearly a thousand years before. The only reigning Catholics left in the Isles by 904 were the Petty Kings of Somerset and Munster, who between them controlled very little territory. The only obstacles to the Picts and English were the Petty King of Ulaidh in northern Ireland, and the ‘Svidlagh’ along the channel coast, where the Swedish vikings had carved out a strong territory for themselves.

Einh33jFjVSSaGrYD4PLFzuGD4C4I-0GoHyzRS4qoiSRafix3iLv2nc1QmexTFg7aSWNqvsPR207_0A77NG_qtdsjotH7cQ3Xw4VlOZYfxbPkk7O4Qwk1YEBqWpsV06PyCMWwZ18

Eastern Europe and the western steppes were a melting pot of Slavic and steppe peoples in constant flux. While the western Slavs, Balts, and Finno-Ugric peoples remained disunited through the century, their disorganization allowed the Greco-Goths and Serbians to make huge gains against them. Serbian Pannonia conquered territory as far north as Lithuania, while the Serbian King Vuk had pushed the borders of the kingdom through Wallachia and all the way to the Dnieper in the north east, and to Thessalonike in the south. In both cases, it was the Gothic Olimpyan clans that stopped the further expansion of Serbia. The Itilos clan had broken free of the main horde in Gothia and conquered much of the Khazarian steppes and the Crimea, then turned north and subjected much of the Meschera and Mordvin tribes to their rule. By 904, they controlled the western Volga all the way up to Lake Onega.

qtMv46wlgThh922Idk6yKq6GaswEtqjH_FjPNUHvrNBNTf6A3bGDosw14qVWO-GcN_QWNBSynrLPfaf9vyr9TcIWL3oHUVQEMJWNwYtg7t0J3PSyikDuIozE6EgiIo9agKJJyx6p

The four kingdoms established by Theodoricos the Conqueror to rule the former Roman empire all remained in Greece and Anatolia, though with much-changed borders. Thrace had expanded greatly under King Kyriakos, who was regarded as the ‘Bodhisattva of Armenia’ for his efforts at converting the kingdom, from 875 until his death in 888, at which point the throne passed through his daughter to his grandson Sisebutus of the illustrious Soldaia clan. The kingdom of Anatolia suffered a rocky history since the murder of its first king Andronikos, having lost much of its territory to the Orthodox uprisings in the 830s, most of which were put down by the Tracians. The kingdom in 904 clung to its southern coast for life, forced to watch most of the lucrative silk road trade pass by on its way to Byzantion. Hellas and Epirus had both lost territory to the encroaching Serbians in 860-880, but made large gains in Italy that maintained their power while the Serbians were over-extending in the steppe.

pe5lJnQGQBAuhn3a1ON025B_sxE3CSUmsdpaHE3ThmALmUXTg4AgRNnPNUHSqLeLRoEWn3rs4qvDEq2xQ2t2ZbnMqPnpan9EYdw_OecctAlhJw5dRaH2bMSWdG19ms00gyl2XNI0

At the same time that the Catholics were fighting to maintain control, the institutions of Islam were also struggling to survive, though their threats were mostly external. The long-standing Empire of the Arabs, centered on the personage of the Caliph, was destroyed by the north Indian Yonas, leaving Arabia, the Levant, and Iraq feuding between desperate Emirs, fringe religious minorities, and the seemingly-unstoppable march westwards of the Yona empire. Persia, under the rulership of Muslims for 250 years, was finally wrested back, and the worship of Ahura Mazda permitted once again. The Muhallabids, who had usurped the Abbasids for control of the Caliphate, had briefly lost it after the dissolution of the empire before reclaiming it once again from Northern Africa, where they were still recognized throughout the Islamic world. Despite their seeming fall from grace, the Muhallabids still control Arabia, Egypt, and the Sunni Caliphate in Ifriqiya, and nominally hold the Emirs of Daylam as vassals.

X6RAeZSv6HYpiYIE8aZhGH6F3j8OgLNaVmDqAJXyA_kmeLjvqKHw4_wHin6H4gSiSkL69lLzDybSG6FQHQex-6utG22u4hJu-WKwwIIpR5zwijHWkzI6D3vwdGn3zpguYa6gAIx4

The true center of Islamic power had moved to Spain. In 904 the Umayyads still reigned over the Iberian peninsula, their rule only interrupted by Aquitaine in Barcelona. Christianity, on its last legs by the 850s, was nearly wiped out with the Christian kingdoms the Umayyads had destroyed. The only sizable minority of left was a heretical sect centered in Portucale, but with the Roman Empire paralyzed by heresy in its borders, it seemed unlikely that any Christian would reign again in Iberia for a long time yet.

vsCro_zqVpVcBWSoWhG_xCpTWsRGcPXCbJzSMvtEPn_YZOKs46dWWgPe4vO_JzSljQRAz34emLsFqsxsDH8xTuFG7zqFClRIhGHyY-C0km4pw1eLc-dtHPcCNtA0bL-oSmVqdUot

In India, the Olimpyans’ early conquests in India slowed as the Kappadoki began focusing on the Islamic threat to their empire in the latter half of the century. The dharma marched on without them, calling the Guge kingdom in Tibet and the Tejapalid Malwan kingdom as home before the turn of 900. While the Hindus and Buddhists along the Sindh and Ganges had proven receptive to the dharma, the Jains of Rajasthan were more resilient, especially with the focus of the empire turned west.

iZRpaAGJ2g_N3JMuCfPFKG_4fXDWFF9ffzZ0Y0ElcD2ig0adJJKZnxq-upULKnVxkGaWD_PHdCJis34ywrXfrYRzuOBaBQkKzQxJsYuFja47MFwVqo81fgpcnhLs7BOz0GtwNzL_

The Tibetan Empire under the Purgyal dynasty suffered a number of setbacks in the first half of the century, but recovered much ground in the 880s and 90s as the rebellious Himalayan vassals slowly returned to the fold as a safeguard against the Guge Olimpyans.

XegoD3erP244eCb34ahsrLGjp004X0V9XTQBpDhzLy5RrvRcgI4UNoVz9tPxI4M2CBbdUlh83fcRsFoSvKjaY51wjYGh8UD-Qr2VQEwlljB9atAgyh0ADydwuDz61fW-fNjYw5jR

The Rajya’s internal affairs changed drastically over the century. Through the early 800s, during the Bactrian period, the kings and their governors were focused on promoting the welfare of the Greco-Goths and the Hellenic religion. As time wore on and the impossibility of Hellenic Gothikoi supremacy became more apparent, the goals of the kings shifted to integrating certain Indian cultural groups into a mutual community with the Gothikoi, using religion as the primary means of bridging the gap between the Punjabi people and their overlords. From this arose the beginnings of the Yona culture, which was quickly embraced by the Kappadoki and used as a basis for empire. As the cultures and religious practices of the peasantry expanded with the borders of the empire, the syncretic religion of the Olimpyan dharma and the Yona culture struggled to integrate, necessitating an outside enemy to unify against. Local and regional conditions made the choice obvious; first it was the Arab empire and the caliphs, and when that fell, Islam itself was cynically engineered by successive emperors of the Rajya to be the enemy of all Indian people. The culmination of this in the anticlimactic Yuddhamachy seems to have put the truth to the lie, and it remains to be seen if the Yavanarajya can soothe its internal contradictions without an outside threat against which its disparate people can be united.

Rw-2hikuJlA050efmPaSdm-XKA2cR4ZtT8DfSEtVb9PXUsKBMzkDWaA1EB_nokQXyYoZMMwBR0uDB1M7BrGWx7-kWrNtLCKca7zAhAuvCQufnPQMEbBRyjjF7YOzIPYzvFAk4AIR

Religions of northern India, 904 CE

f1p14rYk_7gxakF7k6JWxiS5BUIWPBUqUP2Q-dKa2Ee86Mk5l4V8dZqa0TTOflA5JpVKhXxpG7k4uoNjh-ps84Z05JWMEvTVdZ0-814gPOYEUGnOv0_FtjdgE0lOkuNEkPh652-H

Cultures of Northern India, 904 CE

• 1Love
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Well, monotheism is dying... Didn't realize it was that bad.

Also, Thrace seems well on its way to uniting the Western Hellenes.

Reactions:
My only remark is that it's incredibly stupid that Paradox used Badshah as the imperial title for Arab cultures when Imbrator would've been better.

Good work on the global round-up. Seems to me that the Muslims are doing fine. The Christians on the other hand are influx. Have you thought about modding some of the CK3 faiths into the game?

• 2Like
Reactions:
Islam is still holding strong despite the loss of Persia. A religiously fragmented Europe seems ripe for the taking.
I'm pretty surprised that Denmark and Norway jumped on the Catholic boat just as it was sinking but, as you say, I suspect it won't last long.
Wow, there's definitely a biopic in there somewhere for Queen Praxida the Great! From Sami village to English Kingdom there is quite a story.
I'm very impressed that Thrace almost managed to reclaim the borders of the Roman Empire. Out of curiosity, what differences are there between Eastern and Western Olympians? Might a schism be in the works?

• 2Like
Reactions:
Out of curiosity, what differences are there between Eastern and Western Olympians? Might a schism be in the works?

Oh, you're right. I wonder if there's gonna be a 3-part schism. The traditional reformed Olympian faith, the wild Olympian faith of the steppes, and the syncretic union of Indian and Hellenic polytheisms.

• 2Like
Reactions:
An incredibly fractured world, but somehow it all holds together as being believable. I quite like the westward-shifted HRE, as well as the Danelaw on the French west coast. But does Christianity stand any chance for the future?

• 2Like
Reactions:
Thank you everyone! Sorry for the lack of an update. While sticking some new duct tape on the mod to get it to do the next things I want, I broke it and now nothing is localizing. Trying to work around the ugly code in-game is more than I can stand so the next update won't be along until I have some time to get help fixing it.

Well, monotheism is dying... Didn't realize it was that bad.

Also, Thrace seems well on its way to uniting the Western Hellenes.

Yep, its pretty dire for the Christians. Despite everything in the AAR, Islam is doing alright with high MA and most of its holy sites. The Catholics also have a high MA right now but that hasn't stopped the heretics.

With the current broken state of the mod, I'm hoping right now for Thrace to slow down so I don't have to mod them a title besides the Byzantine Empire one, or else spend too long justifying why they wouldn't form some new empire. But it'll certainly be interesting (and probably a bit tense) if we get two empires following the dharma.

My only remark is that it's incredibly stupid that Paradox used Badshah as the imperial title for Arab cultures when Imbrator would've been better.

Good work on the global round-up. Seems to me that the Muslims are doing fine. The Christians on the other hand are influx. Have you thought about modding some of the CK3 faiths into the game?

Ooh, I like that. If I can get the mod working I might add that in for the Umayyads. I also thought Badshah was odd but I had no clue what else to call a Moorish emperor besides Sultan, which seems inadequate when he has two Sultans for vassals.

At this point I'm trying to mod as little as possible because I can't stop breaking it with small changes. But anything is possible! I do like the CK3 religions so far, I'm really looking forward to the ruler creator coming out for some more out-there playthroughs like this one in CK3.

Islam is still holding strong despite the loss of Persia. A religiously fragmented Europe seems ripe for the taking.
I'm pretty surprised that Denmark and Norway jumped on the Catholic boat just as it was sinking but, as you say, I suspect it won't last long.
Wow, there's definitely a biopic in there somewhere for Queen Praxida the Great! From Sami village to English Kingdom there is quite a story.
I'm very impressed that Thrace almost managed to reclaim the borders of the Roman Empire. Out of curiosity, what differences are there between Eastern and Western Olympians? Might a schism be in the works?

Praxida really is a wild character. I wish I had noticed her sooner but she really came out of nowhere and found wild success immediately, which was probably lucky for the Anglo-Saxons in the long term since it put a hard limit on viking conquests. Even without event troops she's a force to be reckoned with!

At this point, eastern and western Olimpyanism aren't too far apart outside of which Gods (or by which name the Gods are called) are being worshipped primarily. For various reasons I imagine the Greeks of this world are fairly open to religious ideas proliferating from the more east, especially with Olimpyans exclusively controlling such a huge part of the silk road. On the other hand, the temple itself hasn't been all that active, and I imagine there isn't a lot of theological debate or activity going on with so much focus on the dwindling 'threat' of Islam.

Oh, you're right. I wonder if there's gonna be a 3-part schism. The traditional reformed Olympian faith, the wild Olympian faith of the steppes, and the syncretic union of Indian and Hellenic polytheisms.

By the end of the game if not sooner, Steppe Hellenism will probably become distinct from Olimpyanism. I can see them embracing more of the aspects of Tengri with all the contact the steppe Goths have had with Altaic nomads in the last few centuries. Maybe in the future they'd come up with some kind of Poseidon-Tengri monotheism, if it seems like they have the will for it. I don't see that happening for awhile yet unless a very strong ruler can reunite the tribes.

As for an east-west schism, right now the Temple is fairly decentralized and doing well anyway. Practices and rituals are diverging in interesting ways between Delhi and Athens, but I think the Greeks of this universe appreciate the ideas that are spreading from the east, and the fact that the Temple is far less overbearing than the Christian church. Though if a future Diafotistis tries to ban animal sacrifice and meat-eating for all Olimpyans, I can't imagine Greece and Anatolia just going along.

At the risk of spoiling some of my plans, there is a schism of sorts I was working on when I broke the mod. More on that when I have some time to get it fixed and can continue the playthrough!

An incredibly fractured world, but somehow it all holds together as being believable. I quite like the westward-shifted HRE, as well as the Danelaw on the French west coast. But does Christianity stand any chance for the future?

Thank you! This has been one of the more successful games for Vikings that I've played, which is always fun to see. The Swedes having both sides of the channel is oddly satisfying, although as part-Norwegian, my home country is a little disappointing.

At this point I'm not sure how doomed Christianity really is- Catholicism has a weirdly high MA, and, even if they all regard one another as heretical, the HRE, England, and Pictland are strong enough for now to hold onto what they have.

Reactions:
Sorry to hear about the issues! Feel free to send me the Mod code and I’ll have a shot at looking for the issue

• 1Like
Reactions:
I think giving the Umayyads the Empire of Cordoba title would be a better fit. Since, while Imbrator is better than what Paradox picked, it's still an Arabisation of a Latin term.

By giving the Umayyads the imperial title of Cordoba that will ensure they'll always be called Caliphs whether or not they actually have the religious head title of Sunni Islam. Although come to think of it, what with the Abbassids falling from power it would make more sense for the Umayyads to return to the Caliphate.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Sorry to hear about the issues! Feel free to send me the Mod code and I’ll have a shot at looking for the issue

That would be great! I'll send it tomorrow or the day after when I've got some time. Thank you!

I think giving the Umayyads the Empire of Cordoba title would be a better fit. Since, while Imbrator is better than what Paradox picked, it's still an Arabisation of a Latin term.

By giving the Umayyads the imperial title of Cordoba that will ensure they'll always be called Caliphs whether or not they actually have the religious head title of Sunni Islam. Although come to think of it, what with the Abbassids falling from power it would make more sense for the Umayyads to return to the Caliphate.

That's also a good point. 'Imbrator' sounds really cool but it I'm not sure why it didn't occur to me for the Umayyads to just claim the Caliphate for themselves again, considering the state of things.

Reactions:
Part XIII
Part XIII: Ioannikos ‘Vidyaraja’

xV4AO_JuMTDmJ-lgbczGaCzNZHUd5DqUGPaCQ59dXfk53jBF-ExozDEhA4bd9Qu5YlM5PicHkGygdTtwUHJPHq79nXkdeprrtzVoBHcrrT-wb-pu7HHi9CpHaSyAuywDYe7bgSWQ

Investiture of Yahyanakosh by Ahura Mazda and Artemis, the Yona Iwan at Taq-e Bostan, 10th century CE

We, the warriors of the Yuddha Gods: Areyas, Mangala, the Polemos, and others; hereby declare the defeat of the Mallabaya Kingdom and the liberation of all Parsiya, from Khozisthan to Nishapuras. No longer shall the followers of the bodhisattva Zarathustra be persecuted, but shall be honored for their faith in the Gods which delivered them from their oppressors.

In honor of His Majesty’s wisdom and fortitude, we Yuddhamakoi declare this city and the province named for it shall now bear his name, ‘Ioannika’, so that His Majesty’s deeds shall ring through the ages. Let it be known forever that here His Majesty, Deyavotistas, Deivanampeos Megalyteros Ioannikos, Emperor of Yavana, King of Gotya and Delchí, Protathletis of the Wheel-Bearers, called ‘Sword of Brahma’, defeated the warriors of Islam once and for all.

By his deeds Parsiya shall now and forever be home to the dharma.

Inscription of the Yuddhamakoi Column, Esfahan, 910-20 CE

904CE
The Yuddhamachy ended not with a shout or a cry, but a whimper. It seemed, as the fervent holy warriors streamed back towards India, unbloodied, that Islam truly had been defeated in the hearts of its own believers, who had meekly accepted the defeat of their rulers at the hands of warriors they called heathen. Many such returning warriors, restive from lack of fighting, committed pillaging and violence against the Persian communities they passed through on the way back to India. Yet the Persians were happy to see them go, as only a fraction of them left; many were given lands and titles in Persia, and sent for their households and relations to join them in managing the conquered territories. The capital at Isfahan, renamed Ioannika in honor of the emperor, was the greatest beneficiary of these population transfers, as thousands of would-be courtiers, craftsmen, and other royal hangers-on relocated in hopes of quickly ingratiating themselves to whoever would be named the new Vasolayas of Parsiya.

0zGgIO9Xn9kMTYnFqL-8LIhFEUWjEq4O2U9Edd5fbXcSlRwyGZSbvhjKO200upGqTioX-FGUDjTc5OQC_gMG4zYRVMPxK-uNWdaUnwJf4BUhY0nG-GbdKHZFKYSyClng5yapk-ZT

To their pleasure, Parsiya was divided up quickly over the coming months under Rajkomares, most prominently Ioannikos’ 4th and 5th sons, Pantalyan and Suryadathes. Nishapras, which had been held by the Yavana Emperor directly since 892 to safeguard the Atash Behram near Jajarm, was given over at the same time to Ioannikos’ 2nd son, Eskandaryas.

ZFVyGxkWqNVj8Sr0VYmGx9a6CMxJjH-MWAFPrEn7t8SghqaV54utbY08RfOD9HGjx_lfzaAVp2Df6JS8G5k05ZQny1998LPD0EVgeNJfMnOpEFd5wzWJoqHVryUDLWZFdepfzzks

Persecution of Islam had begun well before the end of the war, but now became official state policy in Parsiya. Islamic worship was punishable by lashings, imprisonment, or seizure of property, while teaching Islam was punishable by exile or death. The Rajkomares were only too eager to be given royal commendation to seize wealth and property. Imams and prominent Islamic noble families were targeted regardless of guilt, and the peasantry quickly found that they could not defend themselves against charges of secretly practicing Islam if they displeased their new lords.

While some Parsiyans adopted the dharma, most adopted Zoroastrianism in public and ceased religious practice in general or secretly continued to practice Islam. In turn, the Rajkomares sent their retainers or hired Kyjires, itinerant warriors from India or the Gothic steppes, to root out Islamic sects in exchange for a share in any proceeds seized from accused Muslims. Ioannikos, never a friend of Islam, turned a blind eye to these proceedings as the will of his entrusted vassals. Those of his lords who maintained order in Parsiya were commended, regardless of methodology, while those who failed to do so were generally made to undertake humiliating public rituals or great sacrifices to the Gods rather than suffering any real consequences.

By late 905, unrest at the oppression of Muslims and the excesses of the Rajkomares was rising quickly throughout Parsiya, as violent reprisals between Olimpyans and Muslims escalated. In early 906, a massacre of some 300 ‘suspected Muslims’ in Abarkawan nearly ignited a province-wide revolt, prompting Ioannikos to hasten plans to crown a King of Parsiya. That he chose his son Pantalyan in 905 was only surprising to those who had expected him hold on a little longer. Under Pantalyan’s light hand, Ioannika had maintained a level of peace and stability that had yet to return to the rest of the kingdom since the Yuddhamachy, and his philosophical writings on religion and frequent dialogue with the Sokratea and Ioannikos himself had endeared him to the emperor. He was crowned Vasolayas at the Giyan Sofia, the Kappadoki estate near Zarrinshahr, in the spring of 906.
JEWzHYYyILXGjLt7kpEeV4ZvdbfjauMkOJb3vYReeElxU5ireuNy0-iBsBa-RK5sODb65EuQTf-X2QXpn0aQ_h4kI5XcKRsV1tuNnTpDOmk8nu0BJ5f7kZAJkIwC4wBUT-RC-66b

Shortly thereafter, Rajkomaros Alaricos of Kerman, who had conquered much of the ancient kingdom of Gujarat, requested permission from Ioannikos to be crowned a king himself. Despite the danger of the growing power of the vassals of the Rajya, Ioannikos granted the request, and crowned Alaricos himself as the appointed representative of the Gods on Earth in a ceremony at Al-Haur. After the ceremony, which was well-attended by the lords of the Rajya, many of the attendees came down with fever.

uMUj2JEo4hnX7tspeXCalPNiP_G43v9w1yfEU5JH9vNxXSNqfrxe56g9h1PbMHkO-au52sM2AaHs7hGCPYEQcvNgEClK520rl8JCrbFtZv3lGxR4VZK7iyzcxkay0UPA4PcrSjdl

Within a few months, what came to be called the Gedrosian Flu had spread to every corner of the empire, with the most lethal outbreaks occurring around Delhi and Ioannika. Its victims lingered on with fatigue, nausea, high body temperatures, and loss of appetite well after a normal fever would have broken, and it claimed the lives of thousands within the first months of its arrival in Delhi. In Ioannika, cases were fewer but more severe, with a higher percentage of deaths. By the end of summer, the situation in Delhi was drastic enough that Ioannika sequestered himself and his court away in the royal estate and refused all visitors, including family members from the Kappadokion.

In Parsiya, Pantalyan codified strict regulations against violent repercussions on Muslims, forbade executions for all non-violent crimes, and set strict limits on the seizure of property. Accusations of religious heresy were no longer left to the lords to prosecute, but were instead to be brought before a Dikisabha, a court of appointed lords who would determine guilt, justice, and amends in such cases.

The curbing of state religious violence and the spread of the Gedrosian fever helped to release the mounting tensions in Parsiya. With a percentage of the populace incapacitated at any moment, and the rest fearful of getting sick themselves, will to resist the king fell off sharply, especially in Ioannika and its direct environs. Alms distributed from the emperor out of the Silk Road tariffs also helped in relieving tensions and drawing together an empire that was rapidly expanding and growing unwieldy.

6Dbv1QfZIVYpkOBZ9V7rNuTpyzDfuJvtIuOVGY6fE8KIV_eogDH-23BNJflAWRfR1AnHG3_TeIGKDcWzQih8q5vGI1IRD4EPhetf2Ck6uoWvHrmXkaoW6pYH1xB_itWHU7dYkHOI

Near the end of the year, the empire was further shocked by the death of of Doryakratos Theodoric, Priest-King of Kosalas. In the midst of losing a war against the Tibetan kingdom in Nepal, the Gedrosian Fever had decimated the faithful in the great cities along the Ganges and robbed Theodoric of his will to live. Officially, he passed away in his sleep after a long meditation in which he communed with Ades, Lord of the dead. Unofficially, it was believed he had poisoned himself in despair.

Regardless of the means, no succession had been settled on for the kingdom, and so the Sokratea met to determine who should succeed Theodoric. It was the position of Ioannikos that the title should return to the Deyavotistas, the highest authority of the Temple, to be appointed. However, he wasn’t willing to overrule the Arkhierei, whose strong authority for themselves he believed to be necessary for spreading the dharma into the Deccan and Parsiya. Thus, the matter went to a vote in the Sokratea, which narrowly decided for its own authority in appointing the king. Shortly thereafter, candidates were nominated, and a little-known Hiereus from the Gothic communities in Zabulistan, called Thorismond, was selected as the new Doryakratos. As his first act, he negotiated a peace treaty that, while unfavorable to Kosalas, was still preferable to the continuing devastation of the debilitating siege of Bithor while disease ravaged the countryside.

xaSPxr9Gbj5Mz1qv_tCVy2pw69vCW68brdHbw8JPbywXN80HuJb-sVhvWCy9SsRTjZsPYNQ4wwCpLVcZ74ZSEn1nEnMYcgcpkAwfomFFZgINV7g9CuTXeyv-zrsCEXDgs6xyx7Gz

Despite the continuing pace of the disease, 907 was a relatively quiet year, spent by most of the nobility cloistered away or on campaigns away from affected areas. Ioannikos’ correspondence with Pantalyan drew the two ever closer, culminating in the appointment of Pantalyan as Steward of the Rajya and his anointment as a member of the Companions. King Alaricos expanded his holdings in Gujarat, and Pantalyan seized a portion of the Caspian Sea coast from the Arab loyalists. Prince Suryadathes waited out the disease in the Qasrid Kingdom, gathering dissident warriors to help him seize Basra at some later date. Kashgar province, lost to Buddhist rebels over a decade earlier, was re-conquered by Apalodatis of Indikas.

These successes weren’t being mirrored through the Olimpyan world. Sogdia became mired in another civil war, due to Queen Viviana’s lineage: as a descendant of Megas Theodoric’s bastard Varshasb, and having inherited the throne from her father rather than conquering it herself, the true Kappadoki of the realm considered her illegitimate. Isauros of Khiva was appointed their leader and led an uprising in 908 that threatened to upend Queen Viviana and her husband Alaricos, Ioannikos’ second son. Regardless of the disastrous history of Theodoric’s descendants in Sogdia and Parthia, Ioannikos joined the war, sending some 5,000 men to Bukhara.

M6POKWNwq3wQ_eIbB1mBRkA6epWq68rkKsod1lN6TSaXBc1cVmUZWI_tKRBDkf0I0wCMVARVAgb827s2U2QK56dCDiGYsVWvqJw2wowBME-NuiqdxFeM5sAW6jH-8_wqIKOKFgV_

At the same time, war was engulfing the Tibetan plateau. Anini Pal’s son had proven to be a passive ruler, and in the absence of aggression on his part, a council of Hierei had taken command of Purang province and invaded Tibetan imperial territory in Xigaze. Ting ‘the Dragon’ quickly rose to pre-eminence among the council and lead the war effort to much success against the weakened Tibetans until their Chinese suzerains pledged support, hoping to maintain the status quo on the plateau. Though China proper wasn’t going to war, the Western Protectorate had received an expeditionary force that would easily sweep the Purang Olimpyans aside. Ioannikos decided to involve himself in the war, leading nearly 8,000 men himself to northern Tibet, where they intercepted half as many troops from the Protectorate and defeated them soundly.

3w6wkE4EthCMsSTXTiMs28KFo29htLPJiBbWrgEQQPhblVoppmjUGJhDMBlnk2jP07pkQebbHdTrgjwM8PIjAJKIoQ5qGB26I0fDyIaDkux8P3LvqTGqXmRUL12tBHiRpcfUaztb

Both wars came to a favorable close soon after the involvement of Yavana armies. By 910, Ioannikos had returned to the capital, his vision of an Olimpyan world seemingly fulfilled and then some. Diplomats from Delhi could travel all the way to Byzantion without passing through lands held by non-Olimpyans, though the fastest land routes still went through Armenia and Azerbaijan, held by Christians and Muslims respectively. The dharma was spreading in every direction, well beyond the boundaries he had envisioned for it, and everywhere it took root it seemed to become immovable. The emperor’s hand was heavy in the East, but in the West, where ‘Yavana’ was merely an exotic term for a far-off empire, the Olimpyan kingdoms had overtaken nearly all of their neighbors, and their meteoric rise still seemed poised to continue.

Yet through it all, the Gedrosian Fever persisted in Delhi and along the Ganges. It seemed to spread by trade, which continued to flow even during the worst of the fever in 907, but there was never any official effort to combat the disease itself, only to treat its symptoms among the populace, leaving it free to spread back and forth between Delhi, Mathura, Sthanivara, Varanasi and Bithor even through 910 and 911. In 909, it even claimed King Apalodatis of Indikas. When Ioannikos returned to Delhi from Tibet later that year, he sequestered himself away at the keep in Delhi, where supplies could be more readily maintained than at his palace grounds, and cut off the outside world except for by written message.

mC2mkD6fy9zwwp8_-eoi6Tm9FkLIU4RvQ7yxQvywTNLMQw3hktHmw8yDejNm7Tf2kmrOf2fKPnGyDKdYhCACBuHKp8xsqSPtA5cOBxqFlxPePoiP-oSAEF4KZ2xkA6nzhSE1ARHN

This was the unbroken course of 909 and 910, save for an omen that appeared to Ioannikos in his sleep in the summer of 910. In it, he saw his empire laid to waste and barbarians of the cross and the crescent ravaging India while heretics arose and rendered the dharma into shattered pieces. This ignited in him a fervor to destroy Islam finally in a great conquest of the Arab peninsula and the taking of Mecca. Plans were drawn up to go to war with the Shia muslims, who had only recently secured the peninsula from the Sunni Muhallabids. Before the year was through, the war was ready to begin, save for the calling up of troops to Delhi who would invariably catch the Fever and bring it with them.

b_IdnGIKWBpa4BmVhFXoFJGe5eCYRvqGal6apP1Gk9L2VJ5tKAg9IluKLkwjmmwQeKR1kLpBA4dWWIpyTfKBN647DPlsQLM5bCdJKr1Gcg5gFMZZg5ihWbD9TRJcB90xeXCEopHE

By the time the fever did break in early 912, Ioannikos’ war-fervor had subsided. The Shia had shored up their numbers, and Basra, necessary to facilitate an invasion by land of Arabia, was a hotbed of rebellions and heresies that threatened to chew up any army foolish enough to try to cross the rivers there. The Rajya had something of a navy at its disposal, but it was only in recent decades that it also had a true coastline to necessitate such a thing. An invasion across the Persian Gulf would be costly and difficult against skilled Arab sailors, though it might be managed if the will was there.

In Parsiya, some in-roads had been made to the orthodox Zoroastrian communities, but for the most part, progress was slow and many Parsiyans held their rulers in contempt. In some regions where feelings were more amiable, dual rites were held to satisfy both the Hierei and the Mobeds, or the Temples coordinated to observe each other’s rites as well as their own without conflicting. This maintained stability more than Ioannikos’ repressions, but a gulf was beginning to grow between the allowances of Pantalyan’s court and the Sokratea.

Many of the mosques that had been repurposed as shrines and stupas contained no icon, or were oriented around a burning brazier. Spaces that the Yuddhamakoi had cleared for circumambulation in the same temples had now been arranged with floor mats for prostration towards the Atash Behram fire at Nishapur. Fire had its place in the Olimpyan dharma, and Ioannikos had respect for the Zoroastrians, who had survived centuries of persecution by Islamic rulers to maintain their faith, but he suspected these rites were being used to avoid confronting the Muslims of Parsiya about their heretical sympathy towards Islam. If they prayed towards one fire for every rite, if they did not circumambulate a reliquary and observe the jatakas of the many gods and their doings, and did not worship in the physical presence of a deity, their connection to the dharma was tenuous at best. Vilaksynan, Oikodomos of the court, was dispatched late in the summer of 912 to Ioannika, to determine the extent of the divergences and to ensure Islam was not being permitted by Pantalyan’s court, putting a great strain on the close friendship of Ioannikos and his son.

In the meantime, the Emperor retired to Theodorion. His son and heir Agateclaya had commissioned a grand statue of Ioannikos to adorn the grounds of the old family estate, and invited his father to break the ground. It was during the stay at Theodorion that he was introduced to the King of the Itilos tribe, Ioulianos, who by coincidence had been on a pilgrimage to the mountains and was staying with Agateclaya. In many ways, he was a successor of Theodoric too; his tribe had secured Khazaria against the Serbian slavs and conquered much of the Rus, bringing the dharma with him all the way to Moskva. His efforts at converting the Suomenusko had been met with heavy resistance, but he had persevered against much of it. In seeking his advice, Ioannikos became good friends with Ioulianos, who recommended a return to conversion by force: “Who can raise a sword to you, mighty emperor? They know in their hearts their god does not stand with them. Let them wear the armor of faith and see what protection it lends them against the spearpoint of a holy warrior. I have yet to encounter the barbarian whose Gods are mightier than ours.”

The statue at Theodorion was named ‘“Yuddhamakos Fotismenos”, as inspired by the words of King Ioulianos. When the emperor returned to Delhi in the spring of 913, he did so intent on forcibly resolving the Zoroastrian issue.

1BT4QAd8pxZFZHxYayL-pnHATdzP2My6U_mIvPeuXEtgKcAUDRjDPDoTPkBpPzP1IAatkMwtvpOcHt5cBxq7RrTJrXzHup4rlULFFIDDqj3gfRhs6jzB60qicKGykYcyuiXfo5Js

Oikodomos Vilaksynan returned from Ioannika shortly thereafter to report on the situation in Parsiya. Pantalyan and the Heirety of Parsiya were steadfast in their faith in the gods of Olimpos, and their belief that their new practices brought them into closer connection with them and inspired greater knowledge in a movement towards enlightenment. Yet Vilaksynan found they had little reverence for the Buddha or the Middle Way. They were more interested in ‘Pure Wisdom’, attained through esoteric rituals of cleansing fire borrowed from the Zoroastrians. Many of the peasants still worshipped Islam in secret, and in touring the countryside, Vilaksynan had found a number of temples that he suspected of harboring Muslim sympathies. Some number of Imams had even been allowed to ‘renounce’ Islam and lead Olimpyan rites at the same temples they had led as mosques before the war.

Such practices were greatly distressing to Vilaksynan, but Pantalyan had dismissed his concerns as overreaction. The rites he approved the Parsiyan Hierety to observe were those appropriate to the people of Parsiya, who he believed would embrace the Eightfold Path with time and a light touch.

Vilaksynan’s news travelled quickly At an emergency congregation of the Sokratea, it was decided that prostration was permissible as an act of devotion to the Gods, but could not take the place of circumambulation, and prostration towards Mecca, or in a direction in which Mecca lay, was prohibited as appearing to deceive the Gods. As such, it was enforceable by exile, dismemberment, or death. The Dikisabha courts of Pantalyan were stripped of religious authority, and all such matters were ordered to be brought to the emperor’s attention to appoint Arkhierei to oversee instead. The Sokratea further warned against the formation of sects, and urged the Hierety of Parsiya to bring their rites closer into alignment with those practiced in the rest of the Olimpyan world. Vilaksynan was dispatched to ensure the decree of the Sokratea was delivered to Pantalyan and to make observations of the king’s progress over the next year.

In Ioannika, the mood of the Parsiyan Hierety had already turned against the Sokratea. The decree against sectarianism and certain prostrations fell on deaf ears. Vilaksynan was given a false list of temples and regions where secret Islamic activity was suspected by the Hierety, and a group of companions escorted him on a wild goose chase through the country, chasing after false heresies, while the Hierei in Ioannika held discussions about how to pursue their own understanding of the faith in an empire that would likely declare them heretics. The more fiery priests called the Kappadoki - King Pantalyan, their highest sponsor, notwithstanding - no better than the Muhallabids and Abbasids before them. ‘Kherdayasna’ was not only compatible with the Legends and the Gods they had always worshipped, but was, to them, the most enlightened form of worship, one that brought them closer to the Gods than any other.

King Pantalyan agreed, and, in defiance of the Sokratea, issued an edict declaring himself an open practitioner of the Kherdayasna dharma in fall of 913. The sect quickly spread through the province, gaining footholds into Islamic communities which had fiercely resisted mainstream Olimpyanism.

8CD1VLGf0-xTaG1tGgWL1bxayzX9pdBLKSB2F3ejolwLKrJbeKitel32b6O_tcr35mNPMlAAO19UCwDYqylGHDCKaRnmk_xN1TiM24UyEl6wXQ1ZdDq0PCl3mFlXls31h-LmMDjT

News of this occurrence reached Delhi ahead of Vilaksynan, who was slow to realize the deception of the Parsiyan priests. Only Ioannikos’ love for his son kept him from declaring Pantalyan a heretic and sentencing him to death. Instead, he took up a correspondence directly, hoping to sway the ‘Stokadaraja’, as he had come to be known, from the dangerous course on which he had started. In turn, Pantalyan’s words did inspire sympathy in the emperor for the Parsiyans, who were understandably slow to embrace the dharma, having spent centuries resisting Islam and being persecuted for it. However, the Sokratea had been clear, and the matter of sectarianism was among the few settled doctrines of the dharma ever since the expulsion of the Prometheans; those who drew lines between followers of the Way were not, themselves, followers, but deceivers.

Ioannikos delayed the congregation of the Sokratea in 914, out of fear they would brand Pantalyan a heretic, by declaring war on Tibet, supposedly over persecution of Olimpyans in Kosalas. Both Ioannikos and his father before him had often been absent from meetings of the Sokratea for all manner of reasons, but as the Sokratea would have no choice but to address the goings-on in Parsiya, which directly concerned Ioannikos, the delay was accepted with little protest.

Ja9bZBnaaVBLKQI2tSmoVm6dC9N0JnnkY_YT6Ss3yCCtYncaCkrvMNLo8LBdL6HwTW-s1elLoQfu7a-fa5tJMjgx8EehsYaf_6hbvshnB11l8zV7CCYw6tVlVULwNU2NkA_4Xv2A

This would be one of his last acts as emperor. Ioannikos passed away in the royal litter on the way to Kosalas in fall of 914.

TqBESj8waG-aYaPBJhYSEjkGeGHQKD_fCg4r7bNmyNu42WBEoJEsRxHNmnJjNXd2VIHw39b_0eHO6B2BmcuJGoCYkidFJnZFawpETA3e499B-YFySOyLRRCDo8Dhh7nTkzU5ALTR

• 1Love
  • 1Like
Reactions:
These sectarian troubles do not bode well at all for the empire unless some sort of settlement can be reached. The fact that some peace was bought via the coming of an epidemic of all things illustrates pretty well how bad things have become. If things are getting more stable when disease arrives, you know you've got a problem on your hands.

Reactions:
The sectarians must be brought back into the mainstream.

Failure to do so will be disastrous...

Nice job weakening Islam, though.

Reactions:
Lots of death all around whether by plague or by war, unfortunate omens abound.
The religious question will plague the Yavanarajya for quite a while now. I wonder if Ioannikos' death will help with reconciliation or only make things worse.
If the in-game description can be trusted, Agateclaya is the right Deyavotistas for this moment, maybe he will put his knowledge to good use and find a way to stabilize the realm.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Part XIV
Part 14: Agateclaya the Quarreler

bX0GfFvWCH_BFtyxiBfFplKYNVU7LT65rdJeCPWZeoZ8ZGjqxAq__i4yxYUChRP5tHqizd-5l-xlF14ao2EmHihtxJcAuHNkEmXFeNKH53pNHJ4QU4cw0TiBWvwIwHlGO3xPouys

Nishapur Bowl depicting a Gothiko-Persian warrior
10th Century CE

914 CE
GGvbMZZXQfFd9W4ozJKU34Zzdp5udDZ1wk42r5ypKYfdi2aOUxsHl_dbAsY72DQJ02iDXkOBg82ba57V3xkeNH7PhKeO2HMJor5A6vGgrib00AgOKIJ0JTJQLgSfCKDzdZA3KHGq

Agateclaya took after his father in many ways, but was a renowned Sarmane; he had memorized the Rigveda and the Tripitaka, and as an honorary member of the Sokratea, was sole author of a number of poems in the Legends, many of them relating to his illustrious grandfather, Alaricos.

sA0AK79JdzHk1s0jS3tQPZoU9q9rxi9SPu_wdgEctnvTxRn8K-Kb_20LYopx8x_w6HjCSjGUEjlC20YogrKJ7_ri6CMLlXhX40AkZMf0RO2EYce20wGt_Rz0aU8b9WqPmG6IHUci

His first act as emperor was to oversee the funeral proceedings of his father. After a grand procession in Theodorion, the body was brought in a grand chariot to Delhi, where Ioannikos’ glass eye - ‘the Pearl of the Emperor’ - was interred into the finished portion of the Stupa of Theodorya Aftokratar along with a relic from his body, the rest of which was committed to the Earth at the Kappadokion in Sthanisvara. Agateclaya’s accession was austere and small, and mirrored on a smaller scale the accession of Alaricos, the first emperor. Despite the persecution of Muslims that had occurred throughout Ioannikos’ rule, Agateclaya made clear that he viewed his father’s softening stance towards Islam towards the end of his life as a mistake, and replaced Vilaksynan as Oikodomos with a hardline Hiereus, Vina ‘the Purifier’. King Pantalyan, who was nominally Ioannikos’ steward, was replaced with Agateclaya’s son and heir, also named Ioannikos, a skilled steward but widely regarded as less-so than his infamous uncle.

JwntFq2_CUdBWNJBcW36lTaRZNmL4wSJMUOUNOgU5BdQ6J7nDq3czJGnXdx9IH8M-GC5Ie1UyqEX0VvbTYjX6KK5tzeU28LBe0NKt3dEqxDHAvQWiH9gNUNVdUSL_UmRPzL1J9SV

With war having only just begun in Kosalas, and in grave need of attention due to Ioannikos’ sudden death, Agateclaya maintained the postponement of the Sokratea. At the same time, he began securing the loyalty of the highest members of the Sokratea, most notably the Priest-King of Kosalas, Theudis, who he bribed with the promise of new territory. In exchange, he expected skilled oratory at the Sokratea, and for the votes of the Hierety in Kosalas - comprising a significant number of seats at the Sokratea - to go where he willed them.

6BbCxE7JljdNRX_6M2a8Fac4FzsgppQbfZPBzJ39XuvU3YpDJvXG4C65DuXEP-VCCMlWu1Qq8708aofRnWNEWt7bwSklJFsXeNh1uHhdWUD-NBWcgFVwFrOKeB1XHbmABBAK_10y

He also secured the marriage of his sister to Alaricos, Vasolayas of Gujarat, hoping to draw his most powerful vassal into his orbit. Though an alliance could not be agreed upon, Alaricos swore non-aggression, and to root out all disloyalty in his realm.

jID4MB8v6fc-4EAZ_mY8zQJ7Xew4TRJMLHjuelFxvpPu1bEjG_R4W7m6tm1eO8lsjguLGh7niVj_OmLU5zT-RWudn08bTXJzGx0gjS1DTvr7Y2I2GZ7iLoZJIBK1YZCzg81fadgv

By spring of 915, the Kherdayasna sect had grown like wildfire through Persia. Reports from Parsiya spoke of a court that looked and acted more like that of the Sassanids than the Kappadoki, having adopted much Persian language and practice. Most notably, Pantalyan, in the style of his ancestors adopting an ‘Indikoi’ name, adopted a Parsiyan one: ‘Bahram’.

n-xwfXlVFc6Rdzxkz2tv7bEMfcTz7TAqIU8eSFqktIJ0wjhyfIGRpmkmH8rEWoUmwudIOSbnafxy5igLbBL16gRP7_z9ltN79ywZbz6QceU2OA_saFvOUhztft9zQMEY9IKqRWSt

On hearing of the developments in Parsiya, Agateclaya ordered that the Sokratea should meet in the summer of 915, regardless of the status of the war in Kosalas. Such a provision proved unnecessary; the war was won by the time spring turned and by the time the Sokratea came together in Delhi, many of the soldiers and levies had returned home as well, making for a rowdy festival outside of the debating assemblies.

In his arguments before the Sokratea, Agateclaya tried to thread a difficult needle of sympathy for the Zoroastrians and condemnation of a sect that over-elevated their practices. On his invitation, the High Priest of Nishapras and a congregation of loyalist Mobads oversaw a cleansing ritual before the forum. Afterwards, the emperor began his own remarks with invocations of the Buddha, the Devi, and the Ahura Mazda. He put forward the argument that there was no need for sectarianism within the way, because, “Heaven is infinite.” The Gods might reside in different abodes on Earth or in the heavens, and might each find expression through different methods, yet all were allied beneath the universal truth. In fact, they were more than allies: they were many forms of one. Reverence for a form was reverence for the one.

A sectarian sought to divide the forms and turn them against each other, and, whether ignorant or knowingly, weakened the dharma itself: “If a man walks a path, his limbs can not fight each other or he can not progress. Two legs kicking each other can not support the body. Neither can the unruly leg be tied to the other and forced to work in tandem. In such a state, a man will fall. Both legs must trust the other and work, independently, towards one goal. Thus, the proper manner of walking the Middle Way also expresses the Way within the body, in our smallest actions. So too must it be present in our largest actions, and through our greatest body, the Rajya. If one limb divides itself from another, the body will fall.”

Agateclaya continued on to describe the actions of his brother in Parsiya as dangerous to the dharma, threatening to undo the work of Ioannikos to unite the Olympians of the world into one harmonious realm. Could the Raj have come so far if the Buddhists and Hindus and Hellenists all formed conflicting sects and proclaimed their own way superior? Could it go any further if the priests devolved themselves to internecine warring over the correct hierarchy of the cosmos or the legitimacy of one Deva over another? No, it would be the death of the Rajya, and the death of peace. In a world where what ‘Bahram’ did was allowed, the Yona would be scattered and destroyed just as the Gothikoi once were, and the way to enlightenment would be set back a thousand years.

Various arguments were held afterwards, with fiery rhetoric the likes of which had not been heard in the Sokratea in many years. There was no obvious consensus before the voting was called on the matter of whether to call the Kherdanists a ‘sect’, but the outcome was clear enough: 182 for, 146 against, and 53 abstentions. Kherdayasna was formally declared an unsanctioned sect, as close to ‘heresy’ as was possible in the dharma, giving Agateclaya free reign to move against his brother in Parsiya. However, he resolved to do so carefully.

Shortly after the Sokratea, Tibet surrendered northern Kosalas to the Rajya. Celebrations were held in Delhi and other major cities, though few had expected the war to go any other way. At its height, Tibet couldn’t stand against the present Yavanarajya; now, after years of warring with Kosalas, it had had little strength left to resist the empire.

kWpHXlnHPfv4QwzEgdeBpWWtKeer0wSZtxzIV56obLhh-YwQhn0uzViWFpp7LZj6PzNsfxCHMUOWtykQQDlwDWZAndza3UPkRWpbjFSRvoOfV4K-74ZM-69FbkplVqVow-knt8ko

Bahram took the outcome of the Sokratea in somber stride. He took a brief, secretive pilgrimage to Nishapras, to meet with his brother Eskandaryas, who he attempted to convince to remain neutral in the event of a civil war. If he took a side, it would endanger the Adur Burzen-Mihr that Theodoric the Conqueror himself had revered, and was an important focus of worship for Zoroastrians. It would be a disaster for both sides if a war spread to Nishapur and alienated the Zoroastrians from the other Yavana. Eskandaryas was non-committal, but Bahram felt confident that, if nothing else, it was wise to stress the importance of the temple to its protector.

Expecting the potential for war to break out for control of Parsiya, Emperor Agateclaya raised his levies and sent them to aid the neighboring Tejapalid kingdom, recently converted to Olimpyanism, against an uprising of Jains and peasants in their western provinces. Though disorganized, they were numerous, and Agateclaya hoped they would make good practice to give his forces an edge in a potential war against the sectarians. These efforts proved a failure; lack of communication between the Yavana armies led them to face the numerically-overwhelming Jainists in small groups that were forced to retreat. Though he had dealt a blow to the Jainists, and intended to raise more troops to return and defeat them, the Yavana had obviously had the worst of it thus far, and Agateclaya’s military acumen was called into question by more dissident members of the nobility. King Alaricos of Sistan and Gujarat was foremost among Agateclaya’s critics, much to his dismay; Agateclaya needed his loyalty, or at least his neutrality, in case of a civil war with Pantalyan, who wisely refrained from critique of the emperor.

7gPuacBIMgFlQiJRFE0lZTrgRc9cIvHJetoickySWtip-S0VX5vuJBxF47pgos4yxnHqrSytdBp855fX5OeJ4K5nGOJTJOND0-t1Dvs7exeqJ6RtpTGODTGl_DEZ-DKB5hdsIh_J

In the late spring of 916, Agateclaya launched a second offensive into Tejapalid to liberate Ujjayini from the Jainists. Rather than counting on the quality of his troops to carry the day as in the first attempt, he called on every soldier the empire could muster in a show of force. By then, the Tejapalids had retreated from Avanti province, and Agateclaya made no more claims about restoring their sovereignty. Though nobody expected the Jains could win such a war, it restored some faith in the emperor when the Arkheirety proclaimed that Ares himself looked fondly on the cause of the imperial warriors. Further restoring the faith of the nobility was the emperor’s decisive response to a peasant uprising in Debul, capital of the emperor’s cousin, Hektorios. Despite being heavily outnumbered, Sagrayus Eskandaryas lead the local forces to a decisive victory over the rebels and executed their ringleaders.

i8kErTRhZ25ktFPhTwtGcpIYvTJbPTbwjBqST8rw3iAq6tB_GoC9vWsp07tI_6f1Puqnel0WvldaMLS8EKlPIhBox0KbCnAIqsetb3aidhDzqYUvCfknd0BtWnyhljnlGq_3CPwr

Shortly thereafter, the forces of Avanti were crushed in a battle at Dharmrajeshwar, and soon collapsed entirely. Within the season,, Agateclaya’s armies had secured all of Avanti, forcing the upstart Jain ‘Raja’ back into obscurity. Sagrayus Ioannikos, Agateclaya’s son and heir, was granted the new territories and made Raja of Avanti.

PY7m3N3act7V-Hohn9ZWA7tQrb_mUhGRMHlNgbRh8T0QNjrbIGlCgUds1jExyz8xqc4W0UQuo0IdSwYaDrsRCICmaLRbYfxSGdpYhwSdM90QC99Mw3FP9PUgbr7BkpbxjqKeY-Fl

A heroes’ welcome was arranged for the returning warriors in Delhi, with religious rites performed, a procession of the Atlantes down the Maharaja Sadak, and a two-day festival. The might of the emperor - and his willingness to crush those who opposed him - was made clear. The Atlantes had been whipped into a zealous fervor, their numbers swelled with willing recruits, and those few members of the nobility who could oppose the Emperor had been cowed. If ever Agateclaya had been in a good position to force the issue with his brother, it was now.

At the same time, Bahram’s position was far less secure. Though the Kherda Hierety was fully supportive of him, the loyalty of the people only went so far. Many of them were still Muslim, and even if he had prevented some of the oppression of Ioannikos and Agateclaya, he had not made the practice of Islam permissible nor prevented all the excesses of the Gothikoi and Yona settlers, who were still seizing land and attacking those they suspected as practicing Muslims. Hoping to prop himself up with an easy military victory, Bahram had invaded southwestern Parthia in 916 to seize some territory and demonstrate his own power. Yet the vastly inferior Parthian army had refused to be pinned down or give battle, and had slipped behind the Parsiyans to conduct extensive raids in Gurgan and Tabaristan. Despite giving a wound to King Isaias in a small skirmish near Tus, the Parsiyan forces hadn’t earned any true victories for a year spent besieging the Parthians, fending off supply raids, and keeping the locals in line.

The emperor knew his brother’s resources were spent. In March 917 he made his move. Agateclaya’s Oikodomos, the Hiereus Vina ‘the Purifier’ was sent to Ioannika with a contingent of Atlantes and Companions and a decree addressed to ‘Pantalyan’: he was to submit himself to the care of Vina, to be delivered to Delhi for judgement before the Sokratea for his sectarianism. Unsurprisingly, Bahram refused, sending Vina back empty-handed with an understanding that war now existed between Bahram and Agateclaya.

Z87BWQMl_0b2aOcJwBEUJs2Fi6keOeGHz-CQUV8TN1VbF0Juuu4Eir2pMkXl7CW6NXNQdDkf_NDdRnQF2eIGihtGhjFbXtNZMYtJ3mSx2xY3MpfgARvRMF90kJJtADReZkA9cUQL

Eskandaryas declared the neutrality of Nisapor for the protection of the Adur Burzen-Mihr, which Agateclaya granted him; his participation wasn’t strictly necessary, nor had Agateclaya expected him to offer much aid due to the danger his fiefdom would be under. If his brother needed punishment, Agateclaya would dole it out when the danger had passed.

More troublesome to the emperor was when Alaricos, Vasolayas of Gujarat and the most powerful vassal in the Rajya, followed Eskandryas’ lead, declaring himself a non-participant in the “conflicts of the royal household, which concern not the realms of Gujarat and Gedrosya unless they be harmed by the combatants.” Agateclaya had counted on Alaricos’ loyalty, but couldn’t act against him now. If the war turned in favor of Bahram, Alaricos could decide it for him, and likewise for Agateclaya. In case of a stalemate, his power might eclipse Parsiya or Yavana for a time, and then his options would be great.

dp5AwHMQIJrEyxNjpCgFvUCLR_mwOxEJQFzMG3ZA8YchWINCDy54OmRkm5Xluehq5JroufxB84-UWPoY3Fsf64WyB_te9p7QYSKw-XM3rfa9dn010V7DgnF3nbncKgFIxN4EMwx_

Thankfully, no other vassals attempted so bold a move as Alaricos. Hektorios still owed Agateclaya a debt of gratitude for saving Debul from the peasant uprising the previous year. Eugenios of Skardu, the Vasolayas of Indikas, was eager to prove his loyalty to the throne since deposing Hektorios in 915, and committed as many men as he could be spared to the war. Theudis of Kosalas was an ardent supporter of destroying the Kherdanists, and also sent a great many men. Altogether, the army of the Yavanarajya reached nearly 30,000 men, which was far greater than the ~15,000 or so men the Parsiyans had raised to invade Parthia, based on the reports of Yavana spies in that region. If the Parsiyans could be cauight and made to give battle in Parthia, the 7,000 strong army of King Isaias could also be of aid. Further, Queen Viviana of Sogdia was expected to answer the emperor’s call to arms with a further 7,000 men.

ylwAyCDf0-ZIziAseP3a-vSdJU4h96qNx67blox5a7ty4M4sLZnnXmjWz5qwhnqof7CHSZ4_FgtuHDmiK7sb4dBuuKhF5J16rvtvtkcZYxZHLEefq4X7pIwvP_Ixh1iqODPEgIXS

With chastened confidence, Agateclaya gathered his forces in Multan, where Arkhigos Theodosios had offered to host the army and provide the mightiest bull of the realm for the emperor’s divination. Never before had Agateclaya left Delhi so unsure that he would return, and he cast an uncertain look behind him as the royal charioteers whisked him away. As they passed the throngs of men streaming out of the city, a melody wafted to his ears. It grew louder as the chariot moved, finally materializing as a warsong when the chariot came near the Atlantes, marching in perfect step, each a vision of Ares himself, their shields painted in uniform with the red wheel of the dharmachakra. Then, the emperor had no doubt: the shortcomings of the Yuddhamakoi would be rectified now, with blood and iron.

• 1Love
  • 1Like
Reactions:
A short update this time while I get back in the swing of things. Now that I don't need to agonize about modding the narrative elements in, I should be able to get back on a more regular schedule, though we're probably looking at an update every 1.5-2 weeks, rather than every week due to my work and school schedule. Although, with the holidays around the corner, I may have some time to keep the narrative caught up with the game.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Dark times in the Rajya. The emperor’s control looks sure enough, but his position isn’t without its challenges. Gujarat’s defection is a worrying move. Let’s hope that doesn’t backfire.

• 1Like
Reactions: