HoI4 DevDiary - Art and Achievements

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Archangel85

Content Design, HoI4 [Retired]
Paradox Staff
64 Badges
Jan 27, 2005
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • March of the Eagles
  • Naval War: Arctic Circle
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Semper Fi
  • Sengoku
  • Sword of the Stars II
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • 500k Club
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Magicka
  • Magicka: Wizard Wars Founder Wizard
  • Pride of Nations
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Stellaris
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV: By Blood Alone
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Darkest Hour
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Cities in Motion
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Knights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition
Hello, and welcome back to another Dev Diary for Battle for the Bosporus. We are coming up on the home stretch, and this week we are going to talk about the art, music and achievements for Battle for the Bosporus and the free update 1.10 Collie.

Art
In my personal and entirely unbiased opinion, the art department has really outdone themselves in this expansion. See for yourself:

National Spirit Icons:

balkan_national_spirits_icon.png

Design Companies:

balkans_idea_icons_logos.png

Focus Icons:

focus_BUL.png
focus_GREE.png
focus_TUR.png

After some feedback in last week's diary, we also changed some of the focus icons we have shown off for Yugoslavia:
1602056183165.png
1602056196263.png
1602056209389.png

Portraits:
GRE portraits.png
TUR portraits.png
BUL portraits.png

Some absolutely spectacular beards on display here.

As part of the free update, Edwin Barclay, President of Liberia, now has his own portrait:

portrait_LIB_edwin_barclay.png

Game finally literally playable.

The DLC also comes with a set of tech icons for the three new nations, plus some 3d art to go along with it. I quite like the Battlecruiser, the ex-German SMS Moltke, which will be a unique model for Turkey.

techtree_bul_mechanised_infantry.png
techtree_gre_mechanised_infantry.png
techtree_tur_mechanised_infantry.png

techtree_greece_airplanes.png

techtree_bulgaria_airplanes.png

techtree_bul_tanks.png
techtree_tur_tanks.png

Battlecruiser.jpg

1602064679688.png

Vehicles.jpg

And finally, we have the addition of Camels to our long lineup of tools with which to wage war. While we showed off Camelry as a unit for Turkey, it is also available for a number of other countries that historically operated Camel units during the game’s timeframe, such as the British garrison in Somalia or the French colonial forces.

unit_camelry_icon.png

Turns out NATO doesn’t seem to have a proper counter for Camelry (an oversight on our part, I’m sure), so we made our own.

Music

The DLC also includes three new music tracks. You can listen to one of them (“Final Frontier”) here:

As a little treat for you, we also have the Loading Screen for Battle for the Bosporus in all its glory to use as a Wallpaper:

Hearts-of-Iron-IV_BftB_Wallpaper_1920x1080.png

Hearts-of-Iron-IV_BftB_Wallpaper_3840x2160.png

I’m glad we finally have some cat representation in the game.

Achievements

finnish_him.jpg
Finnish him: As Finland, defeat the Soviet Union without joining a faction

lousy_achievement.jpg
I captured the Bosphorus and all I got was this lousy achievement: As Greece or Bulgaria, own both sides of the Bosporus. As Turkey, subjugate both Greece & Bulgaria.

istanbul_is_constantinople_again.jpg
Istanbul is Constantinople. Again.: As Greece, capture Istanbul and rename it to Constantinople.

peters_pride.jpg
Peter’s Pride: As Peter II of Yugoslavia, overthrow your uncle and become King.

this_is_madness.jpg
This is Madness!: As Greece, fulfill the Megali Idea and then form Greater Greece.

nobodys_business_but_the_turks.jpg
Nobody’s Business but the Turks: Restore the Ottoman Sultanate.

kurdish_achievement.jpg
House of Kurds: As Kurdistan, hold all of your cores.

hellenic_civility.jpg
Hellenic Civility: Win the Greek Civil War before 1937.

hoofin_it.jpg
Hoofin’ It: Unite Arabia with thirty camelry divisions.

were_putting_the_band_back_together.jpg
We’re Putting the Band Back Together: As Turkey, be in a faction with Germany and Austria-Hungary.

draculas_revenge.jpg
Dracula’s Revenge: As Yugoslavia, establish the autonomous region of Transylvania and have it own all Romanian cores.

prussia_of_the_balkans.jpg
Prussia of the Balkans: As Bulgaria capitulate Turkey while also controlling the rest of the Balkans, including Greece.

balkan_problem_solved.jpg
Balkan Problem Solved: As Communist Bulgaria, form the United Balkan Federation and own all Balkan states as cores.

bad_romeance.jpg
Bad Romeance: Restore Byzantium and have Italy, Romania, and Russia as subjects.

totally_not_cool_bromania.jpg
Totally Not Cool, Bromania: As Romania, change sides in the war and capitulate a former ally.

freedom_or_death.jpg
Freedom or Death: As Greece, liberate Albania while being at war with Italy.

now_this_is_getting_childish.jpg
Now This is Getting Childish: As Yugoslavia or Bulgaria, be at war while both countries are ruled by a child.

hardly_anything_severes.jpg
Hardly Anything Sèvres: As the Ottoman Empire, hold the capitals of France, the United Kingdom, Italy, and Japan.

one_nation_under_ataturk_indivisible.jpg
One Nation Under Atatürk, Indivisible: As non-aligned Turkey, have zero negative state modifiers.

master_puppeteer.jpg
Master Puppeteer: As Bulgaria, complete the focus The Fate of the Balkans while having 5 or more Balkan puppets.

That’s all for today. See you next week with the full changelog and some info on a new experiment we are running to make the game more accessible.

• 107Like
  • 42Love
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
Portraits and icons look beautiful as always. Can't wait to hear more about the experiment. Hoping pre-order opens soon.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I can already see myself getting frustrated by "Bad Romeance" and "Hardly Anything Sèvres".. but I'll definitely try to complete them! Looks good guys! :D

• 2Like
Reactions:
Really nice art. These new focus icons are gorgeous, they’re like mini works of art in their own right.

Also pleasantly surprised by how many achievements there are going to be. And a lot of them seem actually reasonable achievable and not ridiculously hard (I tend to struggle with HoI4 achievements....)

My anticipation for this DLC keeps increasing.

• 5Like
Reactions:
lousy_achievement.jpg
I captured the Bosphorus and all I got was this lousy achievement: As Greece or Bulgaria, own both sides of the Bosporus. As Turkey, subjugate both Greece & Bulgaria.
Is there something missing here?

• 3Haha
Reactions:
House of Kurds, clever name, I had a little laugh. I just freaking hope we'd get that Finnish tree when the Soviet/Polish/Italian tree/DLC comes out, since without any focus trees, it's close to impossible to get it as well as a lot more boring, compared to if you could do it with a focus tree without joining factions.

Mh... i like the Central Powers achievement, but two questions: Why did you choose Wilhelm III and not Wilhelm II for the picutre? And second: Why not include glorious Bulgaria?!

• 10Like
Reactions:
Very nice to see this roll-up. I normally have to load up the pre and post patch versions of the game to see the new stuff.

Still no Enfield No. 1 MKIII or Ju52 artwork.... game is still broken.

• 3Haha
Reactions: