• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

EU4 - Development Diary - 6th of October 2020

Welcome to another Europa Universalis IV development diary. Today we’ll talk about some major game-balance changes that we are doing regarding the naval game in 1.31.

I’m not really all that great at writing long detailed development diaries, but as this one is filled with gamebalance changes, I hope you can bear with me.

First of all, we have changed the amount of Sailors you get from each development from 30 sailors to 60. This will make the amount of sailors you get scale better through the ages.

Secondly we also change the amount of sailors each ship requires, and to make them require more sailors for more advanced models. Galleys now go from 60 sailors to 180 sailors for an Archipelago Frigate, while a Three Decker will require 900 sailors.

We also made galleys more powerful in combat, by reducing their default engagement width to 0.5 instead of 1.

Speaking of naval engagement width, it now starts at 5-25 depending on tech at start, and goes all the way up to 75 at the end of the game, scaling more like land combat does. At the same time, we reduced the naval engagement width by 20% in coastal sea zones.

Two other aspects that changes by technology as well for the naval game is maintenance, which will increase over time just like it does for amies as you advance through technology, and most importantly that more advanced ships will become far faster, with the most advanced ships being 50% faster than the earliest model of the same type. Galleys however, only increase speed by 25%.

All of these fixes are there to make the naval game have more of a natural progress in quality and cost that is not just more guns on a new ship.

One other thing that will make you happy is that we changed the support mechanics for leaders, so now there is one pool for naval leaders and one for land leaders. If you have more than you can support in naval leaders it will now cost you diplomatic power and if you have more than you can support in land leaders, then it will cost you military power as all leaders did before. This will give you more leaders overall, and make it possible for you to have naval leaders as well.

eu4_12.png

Another change we are doing is making your naval power matter as much as your army power when it comes to the Liberty Desire of your overseas subjects. So if you don’t have a strong fleet your colonial nations will definitely start considering independence.

We introduced marines with 1.30, but they were a bit too weak and situational, so they are getting one major change in that their penalty has been changed from +25% shock damage taken to only +10% shock damage taken. We also increased the amount you get from naval ideas from +5% to 10%.

Finally, we also made it impossible for nations to slave raid on any territory that they have a truce with, so now you can actually protect yourself efficiently against the raiders.

Next week Groogy will take you through why hedgehogs are holy.

• 230Like
  • 45Love
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
mission notification.png

So if things are getting improved from Pacific to Atlantic then how about adding an improved notification with number showing the amount of alerts (on pic). It would be very helpful for missions if you want to complete one mission later to avoid wasting reward i.e. in that moment when having 100 prestige. So if you'd complete 2 or more missions this improved notification panel'd show how many. Anyone else wants this?

Last edited:
  • 39Like
  • 9Love
Reactions:
This doesn't fix anything. The only good change here is the raiding change, but raiding shouldn't even be a mechanic past 1500 anyways
Man my region was regularly raided by Algerian pirates up to 1800, where the heck did you get that from.

Reactions:
Make upgrading ships cheaper and not 100% cost and add the button to upgrade a fleet to the base game away from Art of War.
Upgrading fleets already feels like a thing you do only if there is no better way to spend money, since it just costs a lot for a relatively useless benefit (since navy being weak isn't much of a drawback). And the more important a navy is to your nation, the more ships it has, so the cost raises and always ends up being too large for the benefit it grants. If the old ships sink, just rebuild new ones is usually my way of thinking. Until it changes I don't think I'll ever like ships in this game.

• 28Like
Reactions:
So what do you get from "Leaders without upkeep" bonuses now? Always general slots, or it depends?

• 2Like
Reactions:
but raiding shouldn't even be a mechanic past 1500 anyways
The Barbary pirates raided the Mediterranean throughout the game's timeline and further more, what are you talking about? 'Coastal Raiding' only started subsiding after the second Barbary War in 1816, and didn't really stop until the mid 19th century.

• 2Like
Reactions:
And I hope the navy contributing to liberty desire of a colony is balanced properly. So it doesn't get hidden by the overly dominating trust modifier and that it can't go negative and make building a large trade fleet from all the New World money make every colony have 0% liberty desire.

• 5Like
Reactions:
Any changes to make coastal/naval batteries actually useful are welcomed too!

• 4Like
Reactions:
Will the no navy effect on liberty desire remain the same for landlocked and not landlocked nations ?
I always found it annoying that it did, and with it becoming more important won't it create issues ?

Reactions:
Can upgrading ships be scaled based on how far in tech they are from each other? A 20% of the normal cost of a new one per tech level as you still have all the resources ships use intact (wood, iron, rope, etc.).

Also let countries take over the ships of countries they annex. (Treasury too if its not taken during peace offering).

• 3Like
Reactions:
So combat width is down to 0.5 for galleys. Meaning that you can have 6 galleys against 1 heavy.
AKA in 1444 you have 72 cannons for galleys against 40 cannons of your heavy. This doesn't seem balanced
Or am I forgetting something?

• 4Like
Reactions:
Would you update other ideas and missions to give more marines as well? Venetian missions give 5% which is pitifully low for a merchant republic. Moreover I think merchant republics should get an extra free naval leader.

• 2Like
Reactions:
So combat width is down to 0.5 for galleys. Meaning that you can have 6 galleys against 1 heavy.
AKA in 1444 you have 72 cannons for galleys against 40 cannons of your heavy. This doesn't seem balanced
Or am I forgetting something?

Heavies shouldn't be able to stand up to galleys in internal seas until 17th century at earliest. There is a reason why even Spain and Portugal used galleys in Mediterranean.

• 12Like
Reactions: