• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I agree with the rationale for removing the icons in the top navigation bar, but is there any way to incorporate similarly themed art into the the menus themselves? Maybe an ornamental statue complementing the right edge of the menu. Would that be too busy? Too Roman-centric? Regardless, it's still something I'd like to see.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Interesting read about UI and UX and how Jiroro works on the latter :) Keep it up...the screenshots of this dev already look like an improvement over last week. As said before - I will miss some elements of the old look and not every change is needed IMO (I had no problems with the menu bar at the top, so I don't see the benefit of moving it), but on the whole it will be probably an improvement and that is what counts in my eyes.

• 2Like
Reactions:
I don't like the culture/religion/pops circles. There doesn't seem to be a benefit to them being hollow with a static logo in the center. It just makes it harder to see and harder to mouse over for the tooltip without giving any more info.

Reactions:
-is there still gonna be a circle in the number of a trade good to indicate that it can (or cannot) be exported?
B&W Trade Goods.jpg
Did anyone notice the black and white trade good icons with the grey border? It is something that I considered with my trade goods UI SPQR post but I skipped it since some goods, like glass, already look black and white. Solving that with the colored border around the trade goods is excellent. The colored border and icon will highlight any trade good with a local surplus from production or imports. I think they may be locking the initial trade good production to the province. That would prevent trade routes from stealing the only trade good from a province. I think that is a BIG improvement in UI and gameplay.

Now we just need to figure out how to fit all 34 trade goods in that tiny space for our late game capitals! Then PLEASE fix the trade good import window to show the info you need to choose good import routes.

• 2Like
Reactions:
First time here special for the ROME UI.

Please, take in consideration following moments:

1. Top bar navigation - now you got "+" or "-" - it is not enough. very important to know how much of gold EXACTLY "+". Very important. It is one od the best thing in "better ui" mod.
2. Province food and loyalty - going up or down? Must be on the Province tab.
3. Character UI. On this two boxes

Screenshot_1.jpg

If stats placed like this, eye see table 2x4 and one tend to look column by column. But it is wrong: it is not table 2x4. But it looks like and it is very annoying.

Would be much better if you put stats not in box 2x2, but in a simple line. So it will be 2 lines, separated and well readable.

PS. Sry for my English.

• 7Like
Reactions:
I suppose you watch lamberts videos, literally 100% agree on his points especially the % of culture on province view.

What I think is also important:
- on favorite character, age and heath (losing or gaining). I'd like to treat a crucial character if he gets a disease, since there is no alert.
- some sort of list of most populous City.
- the territory stats is great to see with the new ui, I would immediately know where to look since it's well separated. I kinda wish a similar stats view for the whole province would be nice above it. And not spread out. I don't want to have to look around every time... (omg where is it?!)
- food updates monthly basis. Show it at start of game, can I cancel a +2 import or food?

Overall its a great improvement. It only becomes a problem when you become big. It needs to get more convenient, you wanna find the stats at a glance, less clicking around. Else you just leave it be, and later u stop playing that run, bc it's overwhelming.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Good work and looking forwrd to that. Though I like the slinkier look of the overall displays, would be nice if they have some borders, maybe via an underlying shadow or something. Just a white border without some visual border might look a little bit cheap.

Reactions:
Firstly, something I've been using Agamidae's mod for a long time for; the % of pops following your religion/part of your primary or integrated culture shown as a number, not just a piece of pie, right there on the province view. If I am to decide what governor policy to use, that info is really quite paramount, and I don't want it to be hidden beneath a tooltip (or make a guess on some pie chart)

This is how it looks in Agamidae's mod:
1601906961141.png

and while I am no artist or even artistic at all, so really have no suggestions on how to add those % numbers to the UI that you have created, I really, strongly believe it is important to add that number. A pie just ain't good enough.
Turn the pies into buttons that cycle the "mode", and that sticks between menus.
Culture: Icon+Outer Pie -> Filled Pie (maybe translucent over the icon if it isn't disgusting) -> Integrated % + Outer Pie -> Primary % + Outer Pie
Religion: Icon+Outer Pie -> Filled Pie -> Own Religion % + Outer Pie
Class: Icon+Outer Pie -> Filled Pie -> Citizen %? -> Draftable %?

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
I also changed the order slightly, it makes sense like this I think.

Does that mean that the shortcut keys have been changed aswell? By the looks of it the order of the (old) shorcuts are now F1, F2, F7, F5, F6, F9, F3 etc. That wouldn't make much sense for anyone who doesn't already know the shortcuts by heart. That said, changing shorcuts without any way for players to change them back themselves without disabling achievements also sounds like a horrible idea.

Also, I still think it would make more sense to have the ribbon menu on top of the screen alongside important information. The width of the visible map is too limited as it is whenever any tab is open.

P.S. Please let us reassign the shorcuts in the shorcuts.shortcuts file without disabling achievements. Having completely useless wasd-keys does not create a good user experience.

Reactions:
The gods in the old buttons are extremely beautiful, but it was often hard to remember which god represented which UI. We went for a flat icon approach instead. I want players to quickly recognize icons for the UI they want to open. I also changed the order slightly, it makes sense like this I think. The opened UI’s icon will highlight to tell you where you are.

Another UI that got a makeover is Nation Overview:

008.png

I agree the gods in the buttons are pretty but not readable. However, maybe they could appear as if "painted" onto the marble background when you open the window? In the Nation Overview open here, the marble background could be filled with a faded painting of the god-picture that represents this window in the current version of the game.

Might be difficult to implement without it negatively affecting the readability of the window, I don't know, but would be a nice way I think to still keep this old art in the game :)

• 1Like
Reactions:
I don't like the culture/religion/pops circles. There doesn't seem to be a benefit to them being hollow with a static logo in the center. It just makes it harder to see and harder to mouse over for the tooltip without giving any more info.
This.
Please retain the old pie charts, the ring charts around the culture and religion icon are hard to read and interpret, besides, how are we going to hover over them to get numbers and percentages?

• 2Like
Reactions:
What could be done is, keep just the symbols and the percentages, and when hover we can view the charts in nested tooltips. I think this would make the window clean and still give all the information for those who want it more detailed.

Reactions:
I hope in some nice tool tips when we move the mouse over the pie chart of culture, religion and composition.
I'd like to have a ui theme that change based on the nation (red for rome, blue for macedon...).
005.png

008.png

009.png

• 2Like
Reactions:
Screenshot_1.png

The traits seem a little "incompatible" with the new UI design, will they have any visual updates? (I'm not saying they should, but it would be nice.)
I'd also like to know if we are going to have updates/additions on the UI buttons sound effects...(?)

• 1Like
Reactions:
View attachment 638120
The traits seem a little "incompatible" with the new UI design, will they have any visual updates? (I'm not saying they should, but it would be nice.)
I'd also like to know if we are going to have updates/additions on the UI buttons sound effects...(?)

There will be an audio pass as a result of changes. Traits will not be changing, tho personally I rather like them alongside the new style.

• 7Like
Reactions: