• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I’ve actually gone on a purge of ‘odd to have’ info that isn’t represented here. Health in character screen; manpower and gold in diplo screen are currently gone, with more to come probably.
Noooo my super spies have been killed now! I will not have privileged information Nnnoooooo...:p
Well since we will no longer able to predict the amount of gold and enemy troops that if we made friends with someone important from within the enemy territory, grant us some information from that country Arheo?

• 3Like
Reactions:
I’ve actually gone on a purge of ‘odd to have’ info that isn’t represented here. Health in character screen; manpower and gold in diplo screen are currently gone, with more to come probably.

good to hear!

I feel there’s quite a few things that can be given this treatment - loyalty %’s for example. If we simply had an indicator to let us know if a character is “Blindly Loyal to the State”, “Loyal to the State”, “Disloyal”, “Rebellious” or some other flavour text of the sort with tooltip indications as to why this is the case (similar to the way health status reasons like Wounded or Flagellant are given in CK3) then this would help reduce the number and percentage soup that clutters the screen and scares a lot of players away. Would also help the role playing factor.

Last edited:
  • 15Like
Reactions:
Noooo my super spies have been killed now! I will not have privileged information Nnnoooooo...:p
Well since we will no longer able to predict the amount of gold and enemy troops that if we made friends with someone important from within the enemy territory, grant us some information from that country Arheo?

It's certainly going to make declaring war a lot scarier.

• 2Like
Reactions:
The only thing I would personally change is this: View attachment 637578
I'd personally like more of a 60/40 split on displaying terrain and city as right now it feels it represents people living in a desert more than the buildings. It's more of an immersion thing than a game play thing. I don't expect this to be changed though as I can imagine artwork is expensive and takes a fair bit of time.

Sadly it will be too much effort, but at least a 70/30 or 2 thirds/1 third solution would be already fine!

• 1Like
Reactions:
I thought the red primary color would be weird with other nations that doesn't have red as primary, but seeing the Seleukid flag, proved me wrong. Also, THANKS for giving an action when clicking the flag, my ADHD and Anxiety are pleased.

And I'll repeat myself here, any chance the Character Traits get reskinned somehow?

• 1Like
Reactions:
While the new UI looks much more appealing, I'd like to give some feedback on what has been shown on both this dev diary and the previous one:
- Overall senate support wasn't displayed anywhere in the republic government tab, and it wasn't displayed either in the top bar. Considering how important this value is for republics it should be displayed in either of those places, but preferably in both of them. Another thing I'd like to mention about the republic government tab is that the contrast given to the ruling faction to differentiate it from the other two is too low, I'd suggest colouring the faction border as well to make it more easily distinguishable. Lastly, the faction of the candidates that will succeed the current rulers isn't displayed, I think it would be better if there were little faction icons next to the pictures.
-It seems that in the character menu the character names of characters belonging to a great family are no longer highlighted in the colour of the great family (and presumably this is also the case in other menus where this highlight was present) . I guess this was changed because it was deemed unnecessary due to the character portraits now having a ribbon to represent that they belong to a great family; but to me the ribbon doesn't seem as easily distinguishable as the name highlight, so I'd suggest that the highlight be kept as it is.
- The new territory menu seems clunkier to use, now having to navigate through different tabs to see information on pops and buildings, which you usually need together to make decisions on what to build. At the same time I understand that the current UI is pretty messy and there wasn't a good way to fix that without compartmentalizing the information. What I don't understand, however, is the design of the pops tab. To me it seems like it is borderline redundant, serving mostly as a way to open the "Additional pops information" tab if you want to know anything other than the number of pops of each type. What makes this even more disconcerting is that around 70% of the space (at a glance) is being "wasted". I'd strongly recommend making better use of the space by moving the pop icons and their corresponding number slightly upwards, to make room for a happiness slider where the numbers are located. On top of that I would make use of the space on the left of the tab by including two pie charts displaying the cultural and religious composition of the territory. I feel that these suggestions would greatly enhance the functionality of the new pops tab while keeping it easy to read.
-About the summary part of the territory tab I'd just like to mention that the "None" is confusing and should definitely be renamed to "No modifiers" like in the concept picture shown in this dev diary. I'd also like to mention that the modifier bar could be slightly cut to make room for the "Make holy site" button/Holy site icon, which looks quite ugly in it's new location (I just mention this in case the way it looks is not a placeholder).
- In case this isn't the plan already, I'd like to ask you to let us build directly from the buildings tab, without having to access an auxiliary menu.
- Before I go into the province tab I'd like to talk about a menu that hasn't been shown but could use some improvement in the current version of the game, the province "Import" menu. This menu is missing some key functionality: the ability to see and cancel province exports. The reason this is really important is that right now if a province is losing food because it is exporting a food trade good there is no way to see this from the province interface (including the "Import" auxiliary tab) other than hovering the mouse over each of the arrows that appear in the map to indicate exports, which is not ideal. Once you have figured out that the province is exporting food, you need to open the "Trade" national tab, search for the province in question and then search for the specific trade good you want to cancel, making this process unnecessarily cumbersome. Because of this letting us see and cancel exports from the "Import" tab (which then should be renamed "Trade" or something similar) would really improve the user experience.
-The province tab doesn't display whether food or province loyalty are increasing or decreasing. I think it should let us know how these two values are changing, preferably giving us the specific number.
-This isn't too important, but I think that the holding owner of a territory could be shown non-intrusively by showing their portrait in the cutoff from the terrain type picture to the territory type picture.
-While the new decisions tab looks significantly better than the current one it is unclear whether the biggest annoyance of the current one (at least for me) has been fixed. There should be a checkbox for each decision which determines if a decision is ignored or not for the purposes of the top bar notification. Right now the notification becomes redundant if I am allowed to take a decision I'm not interested in because I will no longer know if there is a newly available decision I want to take (like "Imperial ambition") or if it is the one I don't care about (for example "Adopt Plutocratic Monarchy")
That's all, thanks for reading and sorry for the wall of text, haha.

Last edited:
  • 5Like
Reactions:
Not sure about that teal color. To me it feels strange among those brighter colors.
White on Tyrian purple maybe? Or if that is too close to the red we have now, shift to a more vibrant colour of purple/pink there maybe? I assume repeating the Red colour selected wasn't obvious enough as a button rather than a header.

I'm not as bothered by the teal personally, but any excuse to throw in some era-appropriate colours works for me.

I'm not as bothered by the teal personally, but any excuse to throw in some era-appropriate colours works for me.

What are era-appropriate colors? I thought they should do black buttons but they already have black banners in several of the windows. (Reminds me of black and red-figure pottery). Gold and silver could be fun but I'm not sure how well they would contrast on the white background. I could get on board with teal if I knew it was commonly used in this period.

what is this section for and/or how is it different from what's above it?

Screenshot 2020-10-05 112537.png
agree with lambert that showing character health is a bit of a gamey mechanic, but if it's here to stay would be nice to have it in the character detail ui:
Screenshot 2020-10-05 112625.png

I think in the character tooltip the skills and attributes (or what they're called? Like loyalty and stuff) should be grouped by columns instead of 2x2 squares. So left column for skills top to bottom and right column for attributes top to bottom.

It would be nice if this kind of information was still partially displayed, kind of like how Stellaris does it. For example, if another country has a significant advantage in military technology, it would be displayed as "Superior" in the diplomacy tab, or similarly a character's health could be labelled "Healthy", "Sickly", etc.

Reactions:
Now I REALLY want to go back through my notifications and find the fool who kept calling me an anti information crusader :D

• 5Haha
  • 1Like
Reactions:
@jiroro At first let me say you did a phenomenal job so far on the UX! Also loving the style and the art :) I would like to recommend some suggestions. So without any further ado here they are:

1. The province/territory tab
I guess the picture is self explanatory but I provide a small description.
- I want to switch the food and province loyalty bar, because in my opinion the loyalty is more important and was on top since the beginning of the game. Also the addition of indicators, if food and loyalty increase, decrease or remain constant would be fine to see at first glance.
- Same goes with province investments. There is space, so you can move the icons a bit upwards and add the number of province investments below the icons including, which one is currently getting one (if this is the case at the moment).
- On the far right side I would add the manpower and the research points of the whole province and move the trade route icon a bit to the right.
- With the trade route icon moved, there should be enough space to add two more trade goods without overlapping trade good icons (I guess overlapping icons will be the case, the more trade goods in a province occurs). If the two icons get added, I would expand the "Import" button to match the lenght of all trade good icons for aesthetical reasons^^
- Small suggestion for the future - more detailed pictures/icons for the buildings in the building tab :)

View attachment 637538

I like that there is now a queue list in the building tab :)

2. Character tooltip
Already made this suggestion in another thread, but to put it into one post.
- The powerbase and personal wealth icons should be aligned in a straight column with the sex and age icon.
- Below of the personal wealth the traits of the character should be shown. This opens up the option for future updates to implement events, where your choice has to be related on the traits of the event related character. Because related characters are shown in an event message you can hover over him to show the tooltip and then hover over the traits to get the information you need for your choice in the event.
- Increase the size of the character portrait/model. - It appears a bit to small imo - I know there are some "large persian hat" issues, if you increase the size, but don't let hats rule character portraits sizes :D

View attachment 637539

3. Character screen/UI (not tooltip!)
If you look at the character UI picture of Antigonos Monophthalmos, I would enlarge the "model" of Antigonos I Monophthalmos resp. characters generally. It's the character screen/tab and he appears too small on a window about him. If you look at the picture you also notice, that there is enough space to the top and the right to enlarge the character model (portrait) without hiding anything important in the background (of the throne room). Same goes here: Don't let hats rule the character tab :D

4. Nation overview
I love the new design :) Only suggestion: Please swap the "Provinces" tab and the "Nation Decisions" tab. So if you open the nation overview the provinces are shown by default and are placed first. Because if you think about a nation overview provinces and interactions with them are more on my mind than decisions I make just every few decades. Also this preserves, what is shown currently first if you open the nation overview.

I hope my suggestion can be implemented. Thanks again for your good work on the UI :)
This is an absolutely excellent post that summarises my thoughts!

Give this lad a big thumbs up, all of these suggestions are exactly what have on my mind as well.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I really like the addition of more colour in the UI. The previous just-white made it feel like how Roman and Greek architecture and sculptures appear to us today, while the abundance of colour makes it feel more like how it would have appeared back when it was actually made and used.

Reactions:
You and your team are doing God's work here, girl!
I really enjoy sem this update thanks for the hard work!

Reactions:
Really liking the redesign so far! While I absolutely loved the marble texture of the old UI and gonna miss it to some degree, I have to say that the overall readability of the new one is a much welcome improvement.

There is this one sentence with which I particularly agree:
The gods in the old buttons are extremely beautiful, but it was often hard to remember which god represented which UI.
When I started the game, the said buttons were easily my favorite part of the interface visually, but as you said they were confusing in the long run which is something that resulted in a lot of frantic clicking between all of them. :(
That being said, it would be a shame to lose the gorgeous art of those buttons completely - is there a chance the drawings could appear in some form in the actual menus that the buttons lead to? If this would not damage the entire composure of the menu of course.

• 4Like
Reactions: