EUIV - Quick Questions / Quick Answers

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Are the penalties for disagreeing on imperial incidents permanent? And how do I get princes to vote as I want them to vote?

Are the penalties for disagreeing on imperial incidents permanent? And how do I get princes to vote as I want them to vote?
Yes, they are permanent. You can mouseover on prince's shield in HRE screen to see all the modifiers affecting their decision. Imperial Authority plays a significant role. Diplomatic Influence also, being of the same culture/culture group etc.

• 1Like
Reactions:
To catch up in EU4 (I was waiting for a good 1.3X patch but apparently it does not come), I started a "relaxed" achievement. Abu Bakr II ambition
It's classified as Easy and I wonder if it's appropriate.
Of course, Mali is a strong nation in West Africa (with gold mines) but you start tech 2, without feudalism. So you need to develop for feudalism and Renaissance, then rush for ADM 5 in order to get Exploration ideas to start going to the new world. Your ruler is 1/0/0 and his heir has only 1 more Monarch point.
So, to me it's not that easy as a challenge.
Of course, if you reach the new world, there are plenty of provinces to get the achievement (if Castille and Portugal did not go too fast) and also some South American tags to attack in order to get "free" provinces.

I checked if that challenge existed before the "institution" but apparently no, it was created in the same time. I don't remember when first idea group was at tech ADM 5 instead of 4.
So do you agree with that achievement in "Easy"?

To catch up in EU4 (I was waiting for a good 1.3X patch but apparently it does not come), I started a "relaxed" achievement. Abu Bakr II ambition
It's classified as Easy and I wonder if it's appropriate.
Of course, Mali is a strong nation in West Africa (with gold mines) but you start tech 2, without feudalism. So you need to develop for feudalism and Renaissance, then rush for ADM 5 in order to get Exploration ideas to start going to the new world. Your ruler is 1/0/0 and his heir has only 1 more Monarch point.
So, to me it's not that easy as a challenge.
Of course, if you reach the new world, there are plenty of provinces to get the achievement (if Castille and Portugal did not go too fast) and also some South American tags to attack in order to get "free" provinces.

I checked if that challenge existed before the "institution" but apparently no, it was created in the same time. I don't remember when first idea group was at tech ADM 5 instead of 4.
So do you agree with that achievement in "Easy"?
It is actually pretty easy, Mali is rich as hell thanks to the gold mines. Conquer all of West Africa and you'll be big enough to win wars against Portugal if need be. Also, it's been a while since I did it, but I think some of West Africa starts with feudalism so you can conquer your way to it rather than needing to dev push.

Thank you for your insight.
Your strategy seems more long term: conquer West Africa to fight in the New World, while I tried to go fast to New World territories (ie get colonist asap and start colonising) and avoid fighting Europeans. I agree that it's not that difficult to conquer West Africa but it costs a lot of Monarch Points (ADM for coring, DIP if you vassalize). And you need those points to get to ADM5 and Explo group. I did not find any tag in West Africa with "feudalism", so pushing development also took some points and my last West African wars when I took Renaissance ca 1471 meant that I was MIL 3 vs MIL 5 (I had enough troupes to pass this)
On the gold mine, I did not develop any of those but one was depleted in the 1460s.

Thank you for your insight.
Your strategy seems more long term: conquer West Africa to fight in the New World, while I tried to go fast to New World territories (ie get colonist asap and start colonising) and avoid fighting Europeans. I agree that it's not that difficult to conquer West Africa but it costs a lot of Monarch Points (ADM for coring, DIP if you vassalize). And you need those points to get to ADM5 and Explo group. I did not find any tag in West Africa with "feudalism", so pushing development also took some points and my last West African wars when I took Renaissance ca 1471 meant that I was MIL 3 vs MIL 5 (I had enough troupes to pass this)
On the gold mine, I did not develop any of those but one was depleted in the 1460s.
Is it really neccessary to push feudalism if you only want to rush to america? I´d have thought to just swallow the tech cost, since it only really affects you if you take multiple techs with the penalty, but if you only have to get to 5 and then dump everything into ideas it shouldnt be too much.

I never thought about that. +100% tech cost (if feudalism and Renaissance missing), that's a lot (especially with a 1/0/0 ruler)
In my run, it's 1540, it's going well on colonisation. The issue is that I got attacked by Portugal+Castille+Aragon. Luckily for me, they chose a war goal in Mali and my techs are same as their (but not military ideas) so I could get a white peace (a little better actually. 27 ducats for +1 peace deal). But now truce is over and I allied Tunis because no one else wanted it up North. No Europeans like me enough, same for Ottomans. Mameluks are Ottoman's rival and in defensive war versus them now. It's going to be complicated if there is a war against me

I'm playing as Georgia and have done fairly well, but Ottomans are blobbed out. They own almost half my core territory, although I expanded out well to the east and have an army of around 30K men, fairly wealthy, allied with Russia (150k), another two smaller M.E. states (another 30K in troops), but we are still extremely dwafed compared to the Ottoman colossus with over 400K troops, many of them, strangely, canon.

Ottomans are at war with Austria, (60K left from 100K but very well trained/morale). Austria and other relative GPs such as France are too distant for me to ally with considering my size. Anything I can do against the Ottomans if we're already pushing the late 1680s-90s?

I'm playing as Georgia and have done fairly well, but Ottomans are blobbed out. They own almost half my core territory, although I expanded out well to the east and have an army of around 30K men, fairly wealthy, allied with Russia (150k), another two smaller M.E. states (another 30K in troops), but we are still extremely dwafed compared to the Ottoman colossus with over 400K troops, many of them, strangely, canon.

Ottomans are at war with Austria, (60K left from 100K but very well trained/morale). Austria and other relative GPs such as France are too distant for me to ally with considering my size. Anything I can do against the Ottomans if we're already pushing the late 1680s-90s?
thats a rather wide question. You can do lots of things:
Lend your army to austria, send gifts/subsidies to other enemies of ottos, infiltrate their nation and use all of the nice diplo options your tech allows.
Embargo them if they get trade from the east, if you have enough power in the relevant nodes.
Try to get a fleet that matches the ottos on your side (either build yourself or get an ally with lots of ships) and try for some nice blockades (if you can siege down ottos, that is)
Otherwise just keep expanding away from them and hope to get land faster than they can.
It all depends on your current ideas, tech, monarch, territory, ...
What are you trying to achieve? Just getting your core territory back? Wiping the ottos of the map? conquer vienna, berlin and paris?

• 1Like
Reactions:

Canons, discipline, morale and let them come to you ;)

• 2Like
Reactions:
So, is the game fixed? I'd like to start a game and maybe buy Emperor, but I just won't do it if it's still riddled with bugs. Thanks guys!
Bugs is eu4'a middle name. Any bug in particular on your mind?

afaik the debt spiral isnt fixed yet. So if you wanna roflstomp all over europe, it´s gonna be fun, if you want to have a challenge, I´d rather play somewhere else :p

Playing in VH difficulty and 1.30.4, I saw none of the big powers (France, England, Commonwealth, Russia, Ottomans, Ming and so on, I am Spain) having debt issues. The AI is taking debts for institutions but is able to pay them back. I (Spain) is allied to Ottomans and Ming and 90% of the time they won't have debts reducing their chances to go to war with me. Same for my enemies, very rarely did they not answer a CtA due to debt issues. Even my CNs have no big debts !

I remember that in 1.29, I was playing Grenada->Andalusia and was allied with the Ottomans for two centuries, I was only able to call them in an offensive war once, then they always had debts and even at the stage that they don't answer defensive CtA in the end.

So I don't know if it is fixed, but at least in this game I have not seen it.

AI - Economy: Fixed bug causing AI to evaluate prio to pay back loans to zero if they had too many loans
afaik the debt spiral isnt fixed yet. So if you wanna roflstomp all over europe, it´s gonna be fun, if you want to have a challenge, I´d rather play somewhere else :p
Playing in VH difficulty and 1.30.4, I saw none of the big powers (France, England, Commonwealth, Russia, Ottomans, Ming and so on, I am Spain) having debt issues. The AI is taking debts for institutions but is able to pay them back. I (Spain) is allied to Ottomans and Ming and 90% of the time they won't have debts reducing their chances to go to war with me. Same for my enemies, very rarely did they not answer a CtA due to debt issues. Even my CNs have no big debts !

I remember that in 1.29, I was playing Grenada->Andalusia and was allied with the Ottomans for two centuries, I was only able to call them in an offensive war once, then they always had debts and even at the stage that they don't answer defensive CtA in the end.

So I don't know if it is fixed, but at least in this game I have not seen it.
They claim to have fixed this bug.

So as Spain, my ruler died heirless and I got a Habsburg on the throne. Now the current ruler of Austria is heirless and 52. I already did claim throne, how do i garantuee a PU? Do i break the alliance and push the claim? or wait untill their ruler is dead and hope he doesnt get an heir?

So as Spain, my ruler died heirless and I got a Habsburg on the throne. Now the current ruler of Austria is heirless and 52. I already did claim throne, how do i garantuee a PU? Do i break the alliance and push the claim? or wait untill their ruler is dead and hope he doesnt get an heir?
The only way to guarantee a pu is via war. With a claim on the throne, you will get the union if their ruler dies heirless, but that's not certain to happen.