• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deshiba

Colonel
42 Badges
Feb 21, 2020
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
  • Cities: Skylines Industries
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
  • Cities: Skylines - Campus
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Surviving Mars: Digital Deluxe Edition
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Battle for Bosporus
  • Empire of Sin
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Hearts of Iron IV: By Blood Alone
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Hearts of Iron 4: Arms Against Tyranny
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Surviving Mars
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
I just updated to 1.1.1. and the game won't actually start. From the launcher pressing either Resume or Play will do 1 of 2 things. 1 crash immediately. 2 start the process but doesn't actually do anything, the task will just fire as a background process with 0% cpu disk or gpu usage.

TM.jpg

I've tried
  1. Verifying integrity of game files
  2. rebooting the computer
  3. switching to the beta launcher
  4. shutting down all non-vital processes in task manager.
I'm at the point of reinstalling the game to see if that helps.
EDIT: removing and installing the game again doesn't fix the issue.

Attachments

• debug.log
    48 bytes · Views: 0
  • DxDiag.txt
    125,5 KB · Views: 0
  • pdx_settings.txt
    278 bytes · Views: 0
  • system.log
    625 bytes · Views: 0
Last edited:
Same here, after it got updated on steam I try to launch either as resume or just play and nothing. First I was getting crash reports, now red ! appears and says game startup failed.

Same here, after it got updated on steam I try to launch either as resume or just play and nothing. First I was getting crash reports, now red ! appears and says game startup failed.
Ok, so I didn't have to before but I tried doing most stuff on https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/master-list-of-fixes-for-crusader-kings-3.1424239/ What worked for me was:

Check if MS Security is Blocking App
  • Open Windows Security
  • Click on Virus & threat protection
  • Under "Ransomware protection," click the Manage ransomware protection option.
  • Click the Allow an app through Controlled folder accessoption.
  • Click the Add an allowed app button.
  • Click the Recently blocked apps option
  • Click the + (plus) button for the app you trust and want to allow.
Steam - Run As Administrator
  • Go to c:\program files\steam\
  • Right click ->Properties on steam.exe
  • Click the Compatibility tab
  • Check "Run this program as an administrator
I had ms security off so maybe making Steam run as administrator was enough. (** I didn't have to do this before)

Tried to run as administrator, still not working. First thing I can't locate it, using Windows 7 here, think you are on Win 10.
Correct, I'm running Win10. Turning off windows security completely might work for you. (just a theory)

Even with my changes I can only get the game to run 1 out of 10 times though

The game doesn't start for me either. The CK3 process is running in the background, however nothing happens. Most likely this is a compatibility issue with the hardware.
I am on Win7 home premium, Intel Core 2duo E8600, GeForce GTX 970
I am happy to revert to the previous version until PDX release a fix and will be monitoring this thread for updates

It sounds like we might be getting a false positive from anti-viruses again with new binaries. Could everyone that has this issue note down what anti-virus system you have and also try to temporarily disable it while starting CK3 one time?

Another test that would be useful could be to backup and remove your pdx_settings.txt file inside your user folder.

It sounds like we might be getting a false positive from anti-viruses again with new binaries. Could everyone that has this issue note down what anti-virus system you have and also try to temporarily disable it while starting CK3 one time?

Another test that would be useful could be to backup and remove your pdx_settings.txt file inside your user folder.
After turning off windows virus protection it straight up crashes:
virus.jpg

After removing the settings file it doesn't crash, but it doesn't boot either. The task is running but doing nothing same as the original post.

No mods here. Even without anti-virus nothing change. If I start steam as administrator it says game is running, showing in process, but nothing happens. Without administrator steam running it straight away tells me launch has failed.

After turning off windows virus protection it straight up crashes:
After removing the settings file it doesn't crash, but it doesn't boot either. The task is running but doing nothing same as the original post.
Hmm if the crash reporter pops up then it has crashed on something during start-up. Please use the crash reporter to upload the dump file and we will be able to see it in our database.

Feel free to also upload it here since I'm also monitoring this thread already. Hopefully it manages to create a more complete dump now when you get further.

We have made some attempts to salvage the situation where the operating system or anti-virus will block the access to our settings file for this patch but apparently we still have more work to do there.

maybe caused with mods folder? same problem in HOI4 and I:R. Stellaris works.
I don't play with mods. And even if the mods folder was a problem a clean install should fix the issue.

Hmm if the crash reporter pops up then it has crashed on something during start-up. Please use the crash reporter to upload the dump file and we will be able to see it in our database.
I've already uploaded a crash report before. I've uninstalled the game, deleted the local files for CK3 and then installed again, I've not had a crash since.

I don't play with mods. And even if the mods folder was a problem a clean install should fix the issue.

I've already uploaded a crash report before. I've uninstalled the game, deleted the local files for CK3 and then installed again, I've not had a crash since.
Nice to hear that deleting the local files as well for the uninstall solved the issue for you. Thanks for posting back in the thread.

Nice to hear that deleting the local files as well for the uninstall solved the issue for you. Thanks for posting back in the thread.
It's not resolved though. I've not had the crash again, but the game won't boot. Still stuck at 0% cpu and gpu usage

Ah I see.

There's also a potential workaround with trying to launch CK3.exe directly with admin rights instead of letting Steam run the launcher first. This is a long shot and also not a recommended long term solution due to the fact that quite a bit of functionality is handled by the launcher.

I have the exact same issue here. Launcher starts as normal, then an immediate crash with either Play or Resume button. The crash reporter starts, but funnily enough, the crash reporter also crashes, stating it cannot send the info... After the first start each reboot, the .exe launches, and runs in task manager, but no trace of actually being run per se.

Tried uninstalling, checking files in steam, starting from .exe with admin rights. Nothing works.

Win 8 64bit

There's also a potential workaround with trying to launch CK3.exe directly with admin rights instead of letting Steam run the launcher first.
Sadly that work around doesn't work either. Launched directly from the folder as Administrator, the process runs but doesn't do anything.
No dice.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.