Replace Demotion Time with Demotion Penalty - END THE UNEMPLOYMENT, back to work!

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Mastikator

Technocrat
16 Badges
Jul 2, 2017
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Prison Architect
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Magicka
  • Stellaris
I think two things are true about Demotion Time
  • it represents the upper class unwillingness to do lower class jobs
  • it works against every other aspect of the game, this is a sabot in the cogwheels
Instead it should be replaced with a Demotion Penalty:
  • When a pop is demoted it immediately drops strata, it picks up the nearest job it can find. NO UNEMPLOYMENT FROM DEMOTION
  • We keep the Timer for demotion but instead it applies a happiness penalty (-10%) and a resource output penalty (-10%): this represents the unwillingness and incompetence to do manual labor.
  • Once the duration has been completed the pop has acclimated to its new position and the penalty is lifted.

This small penalty slightly discourages demoting pops but it doesn't destroy the economy if you happen to make an accident.

Issues that this will solve:
  • The outline will not be polluted with wrong information about unemployment
  • Your economy is more flexible and less punishing to mistakes
  • The RP aspect is kept if not improved
  • The AI will be able to plan the economy and less likely to implode
  • You can plan your planet more easily
  • This could go really well with how Assimilation should also work IMO NOT UNEMPLOYMENT FROM ASSIMILATION, just go back to work!

• 5Like
Reactions:
Sounds doable, though you might want a BRIEF unemployment period so the player can notice that there's a non-slave available on that planet. (Or we could get a better UI so the need for unemployment as an indicator is removed...)

Might use the same mechanic for pops which just got enslaved, too -- nice symmetry for the happiness bonus for pops which just got freed.

Sounds doable, though you might want a BRIEF unemployment period so the player can notice that there's a non-slave available on that planet. (Or we could get a better UI so the need for unemployment as an indicator is removed...)

Might use the same mechanic for pops which just got enslaved, too -- nice symmetry for the happiness bonus for pops which just got freed.
We need an indicator to know whether a pop has been recently enslaved? I'm not sure I follow or see the relevance, can you elaborate on the scenario where such an indicator would be needed?

We need an indicator to know whether a pop has been recently enslaved? I'm not sure I follow or see the relevance, can you elaborate on the scenario where such an indicator would be needed?
"Am I buying a feisty rebellious new slave who grew up free, or am I buying a pre-broken work-horse?" Also if you're conquering an empire and resettling their pops around, so you have slaves of the same species, but different vintages.

When you free a slave-pop, that specific pop gets a Happiness bonus for some duration. This would be the opposite.

Agree entirely You're telling me a billion or so people are all taking a full decade off, living off their savings, because I closed down a job-spot? Get real!

So, if you're using the Shattered Ring origin, every time you upgrade the ringworld segment with districts other than farms (especially with research wings) it takes the majority of your starting farmers and just makes them useless for ten whole years, just because they spent a three-day period working as a Researcher, and apparently made enough money to sustain themselves for the next decade. It ruins the origin if you're not hawkishly watching the completion time of new buildings and districts and pulling your workers off research/merchant spots with the job prioritisation mechanic, which itself is time-inefficient and feels plain alien.

I would execute any spoiled rich kid who expects a ten-year hiatus because he has to work a "lower" job. Unfortunately, his replacement would, with doe-eyed ignorance verging on f***ing sub-sapience, go on hiatus for a decade!

*Angry Emperor Noises*

Also, having a system that increased slave rebellion chance for the first ten-to-twenty years of slavery would actually be fairly realistic. I'd like to be able to see the modifier, but it could be cool.

• 1Like
Reactions: