Any Suggestions for Laptop Upgrade (For Clausewitz Games like Stellaris/EU4/I:R)?

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Miles Invictus

Second Lieutenant
51 Badges
Aug 15, 2014
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars Pre-Order
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Imperator: Rome Deluxe Edition
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Imperator: Rome - Magna Graecia
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
In the title lads. Basically I have an ASUS G752VS laptop - an absolute beast, but one that is unfortunately still incapable of handling games like Stellaris on large galaxy settings, and is beginning to show its age a tiny bit.

That being said, I am interested in upgrading to a new laptop, and I have a good budget for doing such. Are there any particular rigs that the community could suggest that would be capable of running Paradox games like Stellaris on absolute max settings, with zero/minimal lag? I'd imagine higher clockspeeds are more important than the number of cores for these types of games......

PS - I'm after a laptop (mobility is paramount), so a desktop unfortunately wont cut it.

You might try this Can You Run It to get some idea of laptop performance. Their homepage will also benchmark your current laptop.

What's your budget?

I think looking at a laptop with a Ryzen 4000 series CPU is the way forward since they seem to have good graphical capabilities, certainly better than Intel's IGPUs.

The Lenovo Flex 5 would probably be my choice.

EDIT: it might also be advisable to hold off on a purchase right now. The pandemic has greatly affected the availability of certain components and though I don't know how much of an impact this has had on laptops, it is likely that costs are greater than usual.

Kind of overkill for pdx games, and amd cpus are much better for the price. Theres really no reason to buy intel right now unless they're on sale.
How is AMD's single-thread performance these days compared to Intel at same price point? I know historically that was their weakness and it's probably the most important benchmark for PDS games.

How is AMD's single-thread performance these days compared to Intel at same price point? I know historically that was their weakness and it's probably the most important benchmark for PDS games.

Intel has greater single-thread performance, true, but it won't give a huge boost in performance, at a significantly greater price.

Intel has greater single-thread performance, true, but it won't give a huge boost in performance, at a significantly greater price.
That's why I mentioned price point. If Intel's fastest is better than AMD's fastest it's good for bragging rights but if AMD's fastest is comparable to Intel's 2nd best at a lower price that would be the better buying choice.