Army counts don't match up! Doesn't make sense to me, what am I not understanding here?

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Captain Fancypants

Corporal
44 Badges
Feb 5, 2018
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • BATTLETECH
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • BATTLETECH - Digital Deluxe Edition
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Cities: Skylines Industries
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Prison Architect
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • BATTLETECH: Season pass
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • BATTLETECH: Heavy Metal
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Stellaris
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Magicka
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • BATTLETECH: Flashpoint
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
Beginning of the game, Started a faction to claim the throne against baby nephew after he inherited the duchy. He refused so we went to civil war.

Take a look at the attached screenshot. What he has in the field is not matching what it shows on the warscore screen.... by a long shot!

I am in no other wars, his ally only has 250 or so soldiers. What am I missing? or is this a bug of some kind?
20200916145822_1.jpg

Did you check if any other vassals are in wars? They would be hostile if not in your faction

Maybe?

Wouldn't they show as allies? Two dudes with me were supporters of my faction, I had 187% military strength when I pressed my claim.

There is nothing I can see that would communicate that I would be vastly outnumbered like this. I made my decision based on the information I had at hand.

Its a little confusing.

IF other vassals are in wars against each other, or outside forces, or raised for any reason, they are considered hostile to all rebels against their liege. If they were close enough to your liege's army, the pathfinding AI would have them gather to fight an inferior stack. They wouldn't show as allies because they're not technically part of your war, but are hostile nonetheless (like how two outside powers fighting the same independent ruler would also be hostile to each other, even if they had different war goals). They wouldn't show on the ally screen either.

I double checked, went back to a previous save. Checked all the vassals, none of them are at war. He is at war as an Ally to East Anglia defending against Ivar the Boneless.

If I check his army (see screenshot), he has 1901 levy soldiers in it, yet he only has 949 he can raise. No mercenaries that I can see.
20200916152404_1.jpg

If I hover over the coat of arms for this army it shows a military strength of 949, which matches his character page.

I'm super confused.

It seems to have somehow doubled his army strength 949x2 plus 2 knights gets us pretty close to 1901? I dunno.

Edit: added save file.

And other armies seem to have a disparity between what they show when you hover over the coat of arms of the army banner, and the number part of the banner. 100 hours in on another run and I haven't noticed this before.

Attachments

• Army Missmatch.ck3
    4,7 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Okay, so I have a theory... his father was fighting against Ivar before he died, and inherited the war and the armies. His military strength is based on what he could muster right now, and everything shows that, except he's still in control of the levies his father had raised at the time of his death.

I think.

I waited out that war ( Ivar won) and his armies dispersed. When I made my claim, we went to civil war, and all the vassals were allied with me and he had noone but 118 troops.

Something weird happens with armies, when a liege dies while at war, and his heir ends up with all his raised armies beyond what he could raise himself, but nothing communicates this would happen.