• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

grallonsphere

Colonel
55 Badges
Mar 31, 2006
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Crusader Kings III: Royal Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Deus Vult
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • 500k Club
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
Is there a settings, somewhere, that govern the number of women generated. We're like drowning in them. My current character had 6 girls before he finally got a male heir. All those girls produced girls in turn. It's aggravating.

• 30Haha
  • 5Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
The same thing as in CK2, the odds having many daughters on a row are astronomically low with a coin flip-style, yet it was frequent, but only with daughters. One could have suspected that dev implemented alleles system:
boyorgirlits.gif

But no dev never admitted it, so I don't know.

Reactions:
Define "astronomically low"? Statistically, "long" runs of heads or tails in coin flips are actually more common than most people intuitively think they should be. It's not uncommon to see runs of four or five. In 200 fair coin flips you should expect to see at least one run of 7, and runs of 10 or more occur with about 5% probability

• 6Like
Reactions:
It is named FEMALE_CHANCE so I'm sure it's for female. The value is 49 so actually there are less of them than male.
interesting. the real problem, IMHO, is all the men getting armour for their 16th birthday and running off to be hacked to death

• 19Haha
  • 11Like
Reactions:
It is named FEMALE_CHANCE so I'm sure it's for female. The value is 49 so actually there are less of them than male.

Something else is at work then - like the fertility percentage. In CK2, above 50% (0.5) fertility meant more chances of females - while below meant more males - or the other way around but that variable had a direct impact. I mean, that particular imbalance if what irks me the most - you might say it's 'the cherry on top' of everything else that needs 'calibrating' on this release.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Something else is at work then - like the fertility percentage. In CK2, above 50% (0.5) fertility meant more chances of females - while below meant more males - or the other way around but that variable had a direct impact. I mean, that particular imbalance if what irks me the most - you might say it's 'the cherry on top' of everything else that needs 'calibrating' on this release.

My man, read my comment above. You getting six girls in a row is not evidence that the probabilities are skewed. Runs of six are common occurrences when you're flipping coins.

I went ahead and calculated it for you: in a game where you have 30 total children (over several generations) the probability of having a run of 6 in there is about 19%. That's almost 1/5. You shouldn't be surprised when events with 19% probability occur. They are not, as one other commenter claimed, "astronomically" unlikely.

• 3Like
Reactions:
Evolutionary pressures literally makes children born by humans to self regulate to nearly 1:1 throughout generations. A 50/50 coin flip though, theoretically always land on heads for practically all of eternity, it's just unlikely.

People who have a problem with the male to female ratios in this game should actually do the math to see if it's just a run on luck or the actual chances.

If the game works the way I think it does you should be able to go into the console settings and press the generate baby button thousands of times then just tally the boys vs the girls to see the ratio. The more you generate the closer the ratio it to the truth.

Please please people also read up on the gamblers fallacy! Your prior rolls don't effect the outcome of future ones!

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions:
My man, read my comment above. You getting six girls in a row is not evidence that the probabilities are skewed. Runs of six are common occurrences when you're flipping coins.

I went ahead and calculated it for you: in a game where you have 30 total children (over several generations) the probability of having a run of 6 in there is about 19%. That's almost 1/5. You shouldn't be surprised when events with 19% probability occur. They are not, as one other commenter claimed, "astronomically" unlikely.

Maths... never my forte. I wonder if changing the female_chance by 1% down would make a significant impact. I shall have to try it.