• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I have found the Syncretism tenets to be quite useful if you can successfully guess what religions will become dominant. Being able to create alliances with big muslim/christian realms where you would normally by Evil is very powerful and can make it much easier for the smaller religions to get a foothold.

Communion is very good if you are a temporal ruler, as all the AI will throw money at you constantly and you can excommunicate troublesome vassals to tank their popularity. Esotericism lets you gain the powerful Wise Man trait and its upgrades from going on a pilgrimage.

Some of the tenets that are only available to very few faiths are also very powerful, like Adorcism for the Hausa faith, Sun Worship for Zunists and Bhakti for hinduists.

• 6Like
Reactions:
It's depend on what you want your religion to be like if you want to go on conquering spree then Pursuit of Power is really great.

But if you want your religion to be at all time high on fervor even when it's massive faith then Pacifism, Pentarchy and Gnosticism would be top three must have tenets.

Pacifism so that there will be no holy war (it's the culprit behind fervor decrease if faith is massive), Pentarchy so that your natural regen fervor would be a net gain and Gnosticism for when the heresy really did spawn (you still can get screw with sinful bishop event in this set up but it's will be a long time before it come to this) there is a good chance they will spawn the one with Gnosticism tenet which will treat you like they are the same faith so practically not heresy, you can decide after that whether you will keep that heresy or demand them to convert back.

My personal choice would be ritual celebration, it gain outweigh the potential loss from gaining obese, it made the feast so so much good, gaining piety from feast, losing more stress, gain more opinion with vassal also made the feast more frequently to stack all the benefit.

The downside is that, you get more chance to gain obese modifier which will reduce your life expectancy a lot.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Communion as mentioned above but would also say that Consolamentum is pretty powerful. Being able to time when your ruler dies is very convenient.

• 3Like
Reactions:
Depends on playstyle, I'll list some which worked well for me

If you want to expand a lot warmonger is a must since it doesn't give offensive war opinion and gives conquest CB
If you want to expand a bit less then go with Pursuit of Power, it gives conquest CB as well as 50% tyranny reduction which is awesome.

If you want to inbreed Divine Marriage is the way to go since it increases fertility between family members (it's not in description, but check game files)
If you are temporal head of faith then Communion is great since you can excommunicate anyone

• 1Like
Reactions:
Communion as mentioned above but would also say that Consolamentum is pretty powerful. Being able to time when your ruler dies is very convenient.

Consolatmentum also cuts short reign penalties in half, which will make a new ruler have a much easier time in gaining the loyalty of his subjects.

A good strategy if you have this tenet is to wait until you have a grandchild as your heir and he/she comes of age. If you then suicide you get a young ruler which can grow immensely powerful over his (hopefully) long lifetime in the players hands.

• 4Like
Reactions:
I have found the Syncretism tenets to be quite useful if you can successfully guess what religions will become dominant. Being able to create alliances with big muslim/christian realms where you would normally by Evil is very powerful and can make it much easier for the smaller religions to get a foothold.

Communion is very good if you are a temporal ruler, as all the AI will throw money at you constantly and you can excommunicate troublesome vassals to tank their popularity. Esotericism lets you gain the powerful Wise Man trait and its upgrades from going on a pilgrimage.

Some of the tenets that are only available to very few faiths are also very powerful, like Adorcism for the Hausa faith, Sun Worship for Zunists and Bhakti for hinduists.
By the time you reform/create your religion you are usually strong enough without alliances so Syncretism is just useless in my book.

Adoricism could be good if you could get that cogenital possessed trait and keep it in family
Having played for some time with Hindu I'd say Bhakti is average, not bad bonuses but not worth a tenet slot.
I don't see anything great in Sun Worship to be honest, at least from description

Reactions:
Communal identity hands down. Instant conversion of county in your culture at high fervor? I've seen France turned completely Adamite because of it.
If you play tall you will convert all your counties sooner or later, if you play wide this makes your conversion harder since you have to convert culture first so it's very situational - might be useful in cultural unification of lands of the same faith

• 5Like
Reactions:
By the time you reform/create your religion you are usually strong enough without alliances so Syncretism is just useless in my book.

Adoricism could be good if you could get that cogenital possessed trait and keep it in family
Having played for some time with Hindu I'd say Bhakti is average, not bad bonuses but not worth a tenet slot.
I don't see anything great in Sun Worship to be honest, at least from description

I usually reform my religion way before I am steamrolling the map. Also, as a tribal having good alliances when turning feudal is key to not instantly being stomped by your neighbors during your period of rebuilding to feudal.

Adorcism gives Strong or Shrewd which are awesome. Possessed stops you from gaining further traits, so while it is useful it is generally not a preferable outcome.

Bhakti is average? What? Those permanent modifiers are some of the best you can get. They are better than nearly all lifestyle traits!

Sun Worship gives you reduced attrition in deserts, which makes combat in those regions much easier, gives a ton of piety from holding feasts and lets you execute people via sun trial for even more piety. It is basically the Ritual Celebrations and Human Sacrifice tenets combined!

• 6Like
Reactions:
All memes aside, Divine Blood can also be useful for reducing border gore inside your realm (if you care about that kind of thing) since rulers will tend to keep it in the family and rarely inherit other lands.

Reactions:
Temporal doctrine isn't that great in current game, the only good thing from it is constant gold from follower of your faith throwing your way, aside from that it's very much inferior to theocratic.

The reason is that in theocratic, all the temple tax and levy go to your realm priest and if your realm priest endorsed you(have positive opinion of you even +1 will do) he will give 50% of everything he got and it's scale up the more his opinion with you is.

But in temporal because of lay clergy will break this and turn every holder of temple into a feudal vassal which will only give you according to their contract with you.

Also making feudal/clan vassal be able to hold temple will make it less likely to develop the barony.

• 1Like
Reactions:
My personal opinion:

-> Pacifism: This turns off holy wars, which helps with the fervor death spiral. Also +10 opinion from other pacifists and +1 domain limit is nice, especially when you play in india, where there are a lot of pacifists besides your own faith.

-> Communal identify: Helps you with reconverting your provinces after heresy outbreaks if you spread your culture. Also +10 same faith opinion is pretty good.

-> Bhakti: Some of the bonuses here are really, *really* powerful. +20 spouse opinion and +10 dynasty opinion and +10 close relative opinion? Or maybe +20% XP-gain and +10 clergy opinion? If you can take this, then it's pretty much a must-pick.

-> Communion: As mentioned, it's pretty strong in combination with being a temporal head of faith.

-> Human Sacrifice: Need a cheap way to earn a lot of piety in a hurry? This is the tenet for you. Bonus points if everything is considered criminal in your faith.

-> Monasticism: A cheap way to disinherit people can be pretty convenient sometimes.

-> Ritual Celebrations: +5 opinion is always good, and the piety bonus is also nice. Not the strongest tenet in the world, but still good.

-> Consolamentum: This is surprisingly more useful than at first glance. Being able to die whenever you want and getting a reduced short reign penalty on top of that is pretty good.

-> Ancestor Worship: Additional Prestige is not the strongest thing in the world, but it can get pretty significant when your renown is high enough.

Honorable mentions: Pursuit of Power and Warmonger *would* be good if you didn't just get conquest CB for free by having clan government. Ecclesiarchy seems good at first glance because fervor is always running low, but the effect is too small to really make a difference.

• 3Like
Reactions:
I usually reform my religion way before I am steamrolling the map. Also, as a tribal having good alliances when turning feudal is key to not instantly being stomped by your neighbors during your period of rebuilding to feudal.

Adorcism gives Strong or Shrewd which are awesome. Possessed stops you from gaining further traits, so while it is useful it is generally not a preferable outcome.

Bhakti is average? What? Those permanent modifiers are some of the best you can get. They are better than nearly all lifestyle traits!

Sun Worship gives you reduced attrition in deserts, which makes combat in those regions much easier, gives a ton of piety from holding feasts and lets you execute people via sun trial for even more piety. It is basically the Ritual Celebrations and Human Sacrifice tenets combined!
It really depends on playstyle, I'd wait with turning feudal until I'm empire so noone can mess with me and for that warmonger is great.

Are you sure Possessed stops you from getting further traits? There is even genetic version from it which children can get, since it's great virtue giving +20 opinion that would make it pretty good combined with strong or Shrewd
1600174771109.png

What great do you see in these Bhakti modifiers? There are really much better things.
1600174661334.png

As for Sun Worship does this trial always end with death and give the same piety as Human Sacrifice? If yes then it's really good

It really depends on playstyle, I'd wait with turning feudal until I'm empire so noone can mess with me and for that warmonger is great.

Are you sure Possessed stops you from getting further traits? There is even genetic version from it which children can get, since it's great virtue giving +20 opinion that would make it pretty good combined with strong or Shrewd

Being Possessed disables the "Seek Aid of Spirits" decision. I guess once you have one spirit living inside you, you can't cram another one in there. :D

What great do you see in these Bhakti modifiers? There are really much better things.

Which better things would that be? I have found no tenet that even comes close to these modifiers. As I said, I would take these over many of the lifestyle traits. Many first level congenital traits aren't even this good!

As for Sun Worship does this trial always end with death and give the same piety as Human Sacrifice? If yes then it's really good

There is a chance of survival, insanity or death. Piety gain is fixed IIRC, so you don't get as much piety as Human Sacrifice if you are sacrificing kings and emperors on a regular basis.

• 1Like
Reactions:
My personal opinion:

-> Pacifism: This turns off holy wars, which helps with the fervor death spiral. Also +10 opinion from other pacifists and +1 domain limit is nice, especially when you play in india, where there are a lot of pacifists besides your own faith.

-> Communal identify: Helps you with reconverting your provinces after heresy outbreaks if you spread your culture. Also +10 same faith opinion is pretty good.

-> Bhakti: Some of the bonuses here are really, *really* powerful. +20 spouse opinion and +10 dynasty opinion and +10 close relative opinion? Or maybe +20% XP-gain and +10 clergy opinion? If you can take this, then it's pretty much a must-pick.

-> Communion: As mentioned, it's pretty strong in combination with being a temporal head of faith.

-> Human Sacrifice: Need a cheap way to earn a lot of piety in a hurry? This is the tenet for you. Bonus points if everything is considered criminal in your faith.

-> Monasticism: A cheap way to disinherit people can be pretty convenient sometimes.

-> Ritual Celebrations: +5 opinion is always good, and the piety bonus is also nice. Not the strongest tenet in the world, but still good.

-> Consolamentum: This is surprisingly more useful than at first glance. Being able to die whenever you want and getting a reduced short reign penalty on top of that is pretty good.

-> Ancestor Worship: Additional Prestige is not the strongest thing in the world, but it can get pretty significant when your renown is high enough.

Honorable mentions: Pursuit of Power and Warmonger *would* be good if you didn't just get conquest CB for free by having clan government. Ecclesiarchy seems good at first glance because fervor is always running low, but the effect is too small to really make a difference.
Communal Identity might be ok if you reached your expansion goals and want to keep things stable, does pacifism really help with fervor? I think it's mostly moved by random events, first it goes down to like 30% and then boom 100% fervor...

Where did you see these Bhakti bonuses? I've put all bonuses I saw in the screenshot above (Vaishnavite faith)

Monasticism can be really good, but it's situational.

Where did you see these Bhakti bonuses? I've put all bonuses I saw in the screenshot above (Vaishnavite faith)

From the wiki:
  • 24px-Unknown.png
    If faith is or originates from Vaishnavism choose or replace one of the following permanent bonuses:
    • -33%
      24px-Stress.png
      Stress Gain and
      24px-Health_positive.png
      Medium Health Boost
    • +10%
      24px-Icon_gold.png
      Domain Taxes from same faith and +20% Stewardship lifestyle.png Monthly Stewardship Lifestyle Experience
    • +2
      24px-Martial.png
      Martial and +3
      24px-Icon_commander_advantage.png
      Controlled Territory Defender Advantage
    • +2
      24px-Learning.png
      Learning and +20% Icon piety eastern 01.png Monthly Piety
  • 24px-Unknown.png
    If faith is or originates from Shaivism choose or replace one of the following permanent bonuses:
    • 25%
      24px-Fertility_positive.png
      Fertility Gain, +10
      24px-Opinion.png
      Attraction Opinion and +10
      24px-Opinion.png
      Close Relative Opinion.
    • +4
      24px-War.png
      Prowess and +3
      24px-Icon_commander_advantage.png
      Attacker Advantage
    • +20
      24px-Opinion.png
      Spouse Opinion, +10
      24px-Opinion.png
      Dynasty Opinion and +10
      24px-Opinion.png
      Close Relative Opinion.
    • 20% Focus invalid.png Monthly Lifestyle Experience Gain and +10
      24px-Opinion.png
      Clergy Opinion.
  • 24px-Unknown.png
    If faith is or originates from Smartism choose or replace one of the following permanent bonuses:
    • +2
      24px-Stewardship.png
      Stewardship, +5%
      24px-Icon_gold.png
      Domain Taxes and -10
      24px-Opinion.png
      Attraction Opinion
    • +2
      24px-Diplomacy.png
      Diplomacy and +2
      24px-Learning.png
      Learning