Already waiting patches - fastest Paradox game that I stopped playing

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I had some funny 136 hours with the game playing four different dynasties in four different religious groups (Eudes Capet, Ummayyad, Harald Fairhair and Vandad Karen), before I got bored of the game. Now I feel that I have already experienced everything it has to offer, I am familiar with all the events and more important decisions and don't want to keep playing at least for the next few months until there are mods/DLCs available.

I am satisfied with my purchase and would totaly recommend it (and I left a positive review of itin steam). However, I agree that the game was released lacking in content, having very few exclusive flavor events for the major religions like christianity and islam. Finally it has some very frustrating and rather serious balance issues.

Last edited:
  • 12Like
Reactions:
The game-breaking issues in CK3 are simply buried deeper into a typical playthrough than they were in other releases. For example, the significance of stuff like out of control heresies is not obvious until you play CK3 for quite a while. This isn’t like I:R or HOI4, where problems were immediately conspicuous. I get a sense that CK3 will be easier to fix - but it still has a lot of problems to overcome before I would continue playing, let alone recommend it to anyone else.

Excellently said.

On the surface, it's a pretty fun and well done game. As you put in dozens of hours, however, the occasional cracks grow into fissures, if not sheer cliffs.

Fervor has severe issues. Short-term would be toning the numbers down on event frequency and actual changes from those events. Long-term would be providing more control/interaction to the stability of faiths. It currently just fluctuates too chaotically without any actual causing interaction(RNG).

Non-contiguous borders(border-gore) is pretty awful. It needs to be harder to maintain land that isn't directly connected by land or sea - at all levels of ownership(count-emperor). (As some examples, I have a vassal king who owns lands in central Ghana, a messy Duchy in the eastern Ivory Coast and a single county way up in the Mongolian steppes - which is sandwiched between another vassal who owns lands to the north and south of it. Almost all of my Vassals own scattered land like that. I'm not even going to talk about the Umayyad mess in my game..)

That brings me to point 3; Dynasties commit suicide if they don't have patrilineal preference. Equal or Female Preference Succession isn't weighted enough in marriage considerations. With an Equal Succession, I have to watch my grandchildren(even worse if my ruler lives long enough for them to have children) like a hawk and actively intervene to prevent the AI from throwing away both my lands and my dynasty at the drop of a hat.

And that brings me to bugbear number 4; Cadet Branches.. PLEASE.. soft-limit these. I get over 20 new branches every ruler. The infinitely bloating mess of chaotic crests isn't really fun or interesting, it's a confusing eye-sore that defeats the purpose of being able to see what house someone is at a glance. It turns the whole House System into a massive, unholy amalgamation of non-flavor. (And the House-Head internal-rules prevents any really interesting dynastic succession from happening; leads to stagnant gameplay.)

MakeItStop.jpg

This from a game that's about 10~ Feudal Rulers deep(Started Tribal, which doesn't have cadet branches).

• 8Like
Reactions:
I have to say that after how much grief we all gave P'dox for making seduction too powerful in CK2, the fact that they went and did that exact same thing again in CK3 is... about as frustrating as anything related to a video game can be.

• 10Like
  • 3Haha
Reactions:
Totally different experience for me, outside of the too frequent "Sinful Bishop" event. Catholicism is still going strong, though several Heresies have taken hold around Europe, but haven't spread beyond a couple of relatively minor nobles in each case.

• 3Like
Reactions:
Not saying there aren't a few things that need fixing, but I haven't run into anything gamebreaking or any crashes either, and I've stuck with the game longer than with HOI4 or I:R. I haven't played much of either since the launch but CK3 is keeping me interested.

• 1Like
Reactions:
You didn't even mention the absolute mess that is the Norse AI using Conquest to get counties in south France, north Portugal, southeast Spain, Sardinia, etc.
That whil Probably be fixed with update boat system or something BUT Vikings Where known for going on raids all over the Continent so it makes sence they eventually try and conquer lands but it dosent help the boat system is Very easy

Reactions:
Agreed. It was so clean, I believe the number one goal with the initial release was to be as bug-friendly and presentable to reviewers as possible with the end-goal being to expand out the code later, and I don't necessarily mean expansion content, but rather the default code.

Here's a code example: I'm the author of a mod that adjusts the lipstick women receive from the "Beauty" trait. After my initial release, I was having requests from players telling me to remove the lipstick... on men. At first I thought it was an issue with my mod, until I looked in Paradox's code and saw there are literally zero conditions for which men receive lipstick. You could have an 80-yr old Viking pagan warlord, raping and pillaging, but as long as he has a Handsome trait, he gets lipstick. Once I discovered that, I had to take a step back. I couldn't believe Paradox was that lazy. I included a fix removing the lipstick on all men until Paradox codes some conditions, especially because Handsome traits are inherited, so the men don't even get to choose whether they're wearing the lipstick or not.
meh, it's not a big deal. Some guys wear lipstick.

• 4Haha
Reactions:
For me, the thing that keeps me away is the title distribution on succession. Generally, the right people get the land but the land is distributed so horribly that it looks like a modern American gerrymander.

• 2Haha
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Have you heard of a little game called Imperator Rome? Now there is a game I put 30hrs into and didn't touch more than twice. In CK3 I'm already surpassing that in a couple of days

Reactions:
I must be doing something wrong, I am actually having fun.

But then again, I am not a min/max powergamer - just a filthy casual with only a few hours here and there to spare. :p

• 1Like
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
I just hope they balance tribals soon. I did an Ireland -> Britannia run, which was doable due to most of Britain being feudal and thus not needing to be rebuilt after turning feudal. I am slightly more concerned with my current run where I am getting ready to turn feudal as a massive African empire. I don't really want to have to build thousands of new holdings to be able to hold out versus the remaining tribal realms in the area.

Reactions:
You didn't even mention the absolute mess that is the Norse AI using Conquest to get counties in south France, north Portugal, southeast Spain, Sardinia, etc.
For those who Red X-ed me
If you think this is in any way intended, you need help

That whil Probably be fixed with update boat system or something BUT Vikings Where known for going on raids all over the Continent so it makes sence they eventually try and conquer lands but it dosent help the boat system is Very easy
"raids" being the key word there. This is simply ridiculous.

I would say that the bigger factor is that you can spawn your troops at any piece of land you own.
Norse get ships for free basically, conquer one county in Spain, voila, now they can just spawn their troops there, no need for boat travel anymore.

Also, I am not saying the rally system is bad, I am saying the Conquest CB needs to be remade.

Attachments

• lmao.png
    lmao.png
    3 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
  • 8Like
Reactions:
There are still ~500 years left in that particular game. Is Sweden only allowed to do conquest in historical Scandinavia and then go afk?

Oh, absolutely, they will fall apart the moment the AI goes feudal, that is a given.
Sweden/Denmark don't even go for conquests on Scandinavia primarily, as I have never ever seen a united Scandinavia in vanilla CK3. But I have when I used a mod that limits Conquest CB

Reactions:
Some problems that I would like to see addressed before I try again:

Personally it's pretty high up there that matrilineal marriages are broken. The AI never uses them, even if you play with inverted gender roles. It prefers matchmaking Queens into patrilineal marriages with some commoner.

Reactions:
- Seduction is too strong (like in CK II), all my wives end up with 6 to 10 kids, most not mine.
Start with the gamerule 'Sexuality Distribution' to Asexuality instead of the Default (heterosexuality).
Even your own daughter isn't interested in you. And it's Ironman proof

• 8Haha
  • 1Love
Reactions:
It seems like 0% of the development time went to QA or fine tuning the game mechanics. You can’t tell me that a good and extensive QA department wouldn’t have catched that the AI in many situations acts completely brain dead (money, religion, matrilineal etc) or that the fervor mechanic kills Catholicism in many runs.

Paradox, please, at least pretend to test your games before release!

As someone who has been part of many betas I hate reading posts like these, you literally have no idea what bugs and issues that existed and were fixed/solved.

When someone says "how could they have missed this obvious thing?" 9 times out of 10 they didn't, it's a bug/issue that appears as a result of the most recent change to the release candidate.

Right now they'll be testing changes in relation to all the issues you are complaining about right now. Every single change has the opportunity to break something else, some of these things will be found some won't they do not the hundreds of thousands of testers to find every single issue in moments like the player base will.

Please stop accusing Paradox of not putting the work in, i'm tired of it.

• 3Like
Reactions: