• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
954-955 – A Plot against the King
954-955 – A Plot against the King

King Syrka’s new spy mistress Mastorava proved her worth very quickly. In just a short time, she uncovered close to 50 plots festering within and without Merya’s borders. Most of those plots involved people Syrka didn’t know conspiring against other people he didn’t know.

LLyPr71.jpg

The only one he cared about was the one she had hinted about earlier, his half-brother Tunya’s plot to kill him.

But she had gone beyond the original vague hints and had identified those who had joined Tunya’s plot. Mastorava had uncovered four additional conspirators, but she had insisted that she would only discuss certain aspects of her work in private, not in the presence of the rest of the Council. They met late one night in her rooms as she was still recovering from giving birth to her second child. She had given birth to a daughter, who was called Chitska Yaroslavlid, and considered a bastard as King Nuyat was not alive to claim his daughter. But Chitska was still the sister to one King, King Nalka of Estonia, and the unacknowledged half-sister to another, King Khaireddin of Nenetsia.

93KarGS.jpg

Mastorava informed King Syrka that his half-brother was still plotting his death and she offered one solution, “Your brother is in Vladimir, so we can’t arrest him. I could, however, arrange an accident.”

“Murder my brother? I can’t … I can’t do that.”

“He is trying to murder you.”

“He is troubled, his life has never been easy. But I won’t take what life he has left.”

Mastorava nodded, “Of course not, my King.”

Syrka didn’t look happy, “You said you have discovered more members of the plot.”

“Parush, the High Chief of Mari, has joined your brother’s plot, this was to be expected. He feels that the throne is his by right and it was stolen from him.”

Syrka wasn’t too surprised, he had heard about Parush’s reaction to his election. Then another throught struck him looking at the baby in the crib next to Mastorava, Parush was also the babe’s half-brother. Then he shook his head and replied, “Not by me, it was the Lettigallians that pushed the vote my way, I had no part in their actions.”

“Parush doesn’t care whether you were involved or not. He doesn’t care about you at all, other than as an obstacle that needs to be removed before he can take his rightful place on the throne. Your brother’s plot is an opportunity to remove that obstacle.”

Syrka straightened up wincing at the pain in his gouty joints, “He is my vassal, we can arrest him.”

Then seeing the look on his spymistress’ face, he asked “Can’t we?”

She replied, “It’s not that simple. Currently, only you and I, and the actual conspirators know of the plot. If we just arrest him without providing the evidence of the plot, you will be seen as a tyrant and he may revolt and as you know, until the Lettigallians weighed in, Parush had plenty of support to be King, and those supporters may join his revolt.”

“So we provide the evidence, so all can see his crime.”

“We could do that, reveal what we know and provide evidence but that would implicate all of the conspirators, and they would join him in revolt, or move forward with their plot to kill you immediately to protect themselves. I know they are plotting to kill you, but I don’t know how, yet. They may succeed if we force their hand… and kill you.”

Syka paled, “Who are these other conspirators that would join him in revolt?”

“High Chief Velmayka of Veps, Paksyut Kardazid, and High Chief Brun ‘the Monster’ of Mochkava.”

BVOdwww.jpg

Syrka was stunned at the mention of his former liege and current Steward, “Brun? Why?”

Mastorava shrugged, “I am not certain of all his motives, he resents having to serve a former vassal, he is embarrassed to have his handling of the vote subverted by the Letigallians, or he is just what people call him, a monster, and wants blood and chaos.”

Syrka shook his head, but now he understood why Mastorava had wanted to meet in secret rather than discuss this in front of the whole Council, “And I can’t arrest him either?”

Mastorava shook her head, “No, it would not be wise to attempt it.”

“Well I can at least fire him from the Council and send him home.“ his words trailed off looking at Mastorava’s face, “Or not?”

“If you fired him, he would suspect you knew of the plot. Besides with him here, it is easier for me to intercept the conspirators’ communication.”

Syrka was exasperated, “And what of the other two? Can nothing be done about them? Who the hell is Paksyut?”

“Paksyut is the bastard son of the late Chief Erziya ‘the Unchaste’ of Chlisselbourg, one of your kinsmen. He served as War Chief for King Virdyan and then King Nuyat, before Nuyat fired him.”

“Why does he conspire against me? Did he expect to return to the Council?”

“Paksyut is a bitter old man, all alone now, maybe he wants to feel important again. And he has no love of Kings. Nuyat seduced his wife, and the only child she ever bore was Nuyat’s bastard, who is now known as High Chief Çortah of Latgale, leaving Paksyut disgraced and without a son or other legacy. And then he was fired after his wife died. Nuyat had only kept him on the Council to keep his wife close by, once she was gone, he dropped the pretense and fired Paksyut the next chance he had. So Paksyut was cast out, with no reward for his years of service.”

“I’m not Nuyat.”

“I don’t think he cares anymore which King he kills.”

Syrka shook his head, “We can arrest him?”

Mastorava nodded, “We could, few would care, but it would alert his fellow conspirators.”

Syrka sighed, “And why does High Chief Velmayka of Veps want me dead?”

Mastorava hesitated, and then plowed ahead. “He thinks you are unworthy of the crown of Erziya ‘the Bold’. He is from the Torzhokid clan, one of the oldest noble families in the Kingdom. They have been proud to serve the Kardazids since the days of the founder of your clan, High Chief Kardaz himself. But he doesn’t want to serve someone from one of the lesser branches of the family, he feels only the descendants of Erziya ‘the Bold’ are the royal line and worthy of his loyalty and to be his liege.”

Syrka growled, “And I am just a poor relative, not worthy.”

Mastorava nodded, “Exactly.”

“I have faced that disdain my whole life, I’m sure that plays apart in all of the conspirators’ motives. The poor cousin only fit to serve the exalted bloodline of Erziya ‘the Bold’.”

Mastorava said nothing, and Syrka continued, “And we can’t arrest him either.”

Mastorava’s beautiful face lit up with a smile, “Actually, we can.”

“What?”

“If you would look back at the list of plots I had given you, you will see Velmayka has started a plot of his own. He is attempting to steal a title from one of his vassals. We can arrest him based on evidence of this other plot. He and his fellow conspirators will not know that we know of their plot to kill you, so we can weaken their plot and make them nervous, but not make them hasty. And if they are nervous, they may make mistakes that will help us thwart them.”

Syrka didn’t quite follow all that, “So we can have him arrested?”

“Yes, my King.”

“Good, let’s do that because I can’t just sit here and do nothing as they plot against me.”

oEzlbZM.jpg

Unfortunately, Velmayka managed to evade arrest and raised his banners in revolt. Surprisingly, just about all of Syrka’s new vassals joined him in defense of his throne… except a few High Chiefs, including Parush of Mari and Brun ‘the Monster’. They did not join the war against their fellow conspirator, further confirmation of Mastorava’s information on their joint conspiracy. But the good news was, they also didn’t join the High Chief of Veps either, Velmayka Torzhokid was on his own.

VoF4XwK.jpg

The village of Merya was ruled by Chief Surt, a vassal of Velmayka’s. So Syrka first sent troops to secure this rebel base that was adjacent to his own capitol. Meanwhile, his allied vassals began to converge on the other Veps’ territories. Chief Velamayka’s first move was to head north and attack Chlisselbourg, which was of little strategic value, but offered him a quick victory to boost his outnumbered men’s morale.

Merya fell quickly and the Merry Men and Syrka’s additional levys moved west toward the capitol of Veps at Torzhok and soon had it under siege.

wq27X8f.jpg

Mastorava brought Syrka some good news, obviously High Chief Velmayka was no longer supporting the murder plot, as he was fighting for his life, but it appeared Paksyut was sufficiently spooked to also abandon the plot and abandon Yaroslavl, as he was never seen again. For a brief instant, Syrka had wondered if Paksyut hadn’t actually fled, but looking at Mastorava’s angelic face he couldn’t believe she could have done something to the old man. That still left Parush and Brun supporting his brother’s plot.

9CmwjZd.jpg

Soon after Paksyut’s disappearance, there were two attempts on Mastorava’s life. The first attempt was by Syrka’s kinsman, High Chief Tylze of Tver, who Mastorava had discovered plotting to kill a man named Terentiy Sviatoslavovich.

21Ra5MR.jpg

The second attempt was traced back to Hemming of Nordland and Westrobothnia. The ambitious Chief Hemming had recently killed his own brother, Arngrimr, in a challenge duel to claim Nordland, and apparently had immediately begun plotting to kill his remaining brother, Ragnarr. Hemming was a vassal of Nidaros, so Syrka couldn’t move against him directly, but did instruct Mastorava to expose the plot for all to see, especially Ragnarr.

x616f79.jpg

These attempts showed that Mastorava was becoming feared throughout Merya. As she had claimed, she just knew things and was proving invaluable to her King. So, when she reported in late summer that the plot against Syrka’s life had ended because his half-brother, Tunya, had died a natural death, Syrka felt his own twinge of fear. Perhaps Mastorava was capable of much more than he had thought, so he did not ask if she had gone against his orders and acted against his brother.

8QbExQ0.jpg

But the end of the plot did not save Velmayka, his loyal troops had been overwhelmed and all of his lands were soon captured, forcing his surrender. Velmayka was imprisoned. Syrka considered revoking the High Chiefdom of Veps from him, as no one could object as Velmayka is a traitor.

fvJGfNb.jpg

But the Torzhokid clan had held Veps for generations and there would be some fear and resentment if he stripped one of the oldest families of their main title. So instead he used the excuse that Chief Surt ‘the Bewitched’, one of Velamyka’s vassals, held the Chiefdom of Merya which was traditionally part of the royal High Chiefdom of Merya, to retract Surt’s vassalage to Velmayka. This significantly reduced Veps’ strength as Chief Surt also ruled Tikhvine.

Giy3UJ7.jpg

High Chief Velmayka, himself, would never leave Syrka’s dungeon as he was sent into the deepest, darkest cell. Syrka would not forgive Velmayka for his part in the conspiracy to kill him. Syrka would also not forget about the involvement of High Chief Parush or Brun ‘the Monster’ in the plot either.

• 1Love
Reactions:
That's so much plotting I am surprised the worthies of Merya have time for anything else!

• 1Like
Reactions:
Poor Syrka, the only man who doesn't want to be king is forced to it.
Thank goodness Mastorava is on his side or we would have a new king very soon. I hope no one will have her murdered as happened to so many of her predecessors

Reactions:
47 plots? That's quite the workload for Mastorava, if Syrka stays in power in such a nest of deceit he will have truly earned his crown!

The plots have been building up for quite awhile, luckily only 1 or 2 are directed at Syrka. And they give an excuse to arrest someone, if necessary.

That's so much plotting I am surprised the worthies of Merya have time for anything else!

Merya may be the murder capitol of the world, not a lot of worthies die natural deaths.

Scheming Meryans. No one can be satisfied with what they have.

Yep, scheming for claims they'll never press and killing people over the barest of slights.

Poor Syrka, the only man who doesn't want to be king is forced to it.
Thank goodness Mastorava is on his side or we would have a new king very soon. I hope no one will have her murdered as happened to so many of her predecessors

Mastorava is his rock, she's keeping both of them alive. She has already escaped at least two attempts on her life in the first 2 years at the post.

Reactions:
955 – 957 Chaos in Khazaria
955 – 957 Chaos in Khazaria

While the revolt had been handled in Veps, King Syrka had remained in Yaroslavl. As his affliction made it hard for him to get around and all but useless in combat, he had been forced to rely on his commanders and they had had served him well. But he knew he needed to keep them loyal. The Chiefs, who served as commanders, he doubted he could ever fully trust, so he concentrated on winning the loyalty of his unlanded commanders.

First and most importantly, he needed to win the Champion of Merya and leader of the Merry Men to his side, Commander Robin. The Warband made up nearly a third of the forces he could call upon directly and they were worth more than the rest of his levys combined. Luckily, an opportunity presented itself almost immediately. Robin’s only son, Nuyaksha, came of age soon after Syrka was crowned King. The boy was well loved by his father and was also something of a mascot among the Merry Men. Nuyaksha had grown into a skilled tactician, brave, diligent, and above all, ambitious. He set his sights high and asked permission to marry Badiat, the daughter of the late King Nuyat. The girl was one of King Khaireddin’s full sisters, half-sister to King Nalka and to High Chief Parush, one of the men who had plotted to kill Syrka, and she also had her own claim on the throne of Merya. Putting her close to the Commander of the Merry Men could be dangerous in the long run, but Syrka decided to allow the betrothal, choosing the immediate gains in the loyalty of Robin and the Merry Men, who dote on the son of their Commander, over any future complications.

wTBoX52.jpg

Another of his commanders, Dergun 'the Ill-tempered', also had a boy who had recently come of age in Yaroslavl, his oldest son, Saksa of Udine. Saksa also asked permission to marry, a woman named Seyamka Velmaykid. This girl had no major connection to worry about, so Syrka gladly allowed it, pleasing another of his Commanders.

i37hOM8.jpg

A third boy came of age about the same time as Nuyaksha and Saksa. This was Varaka Kardazid, a grandson of King Nuyat, one of the sons of Nuyat’s daughter, Tetyava 'the Merry'. He also asked for permission to marry. While Tetyava was not a commander, she held much sway among the citizens of Yaroslavl, and it couldn’t hurt to win her loyalty as well. Syrka gave permission, and a betrothal was arranged between Varaka and Cherava Meryavid, a girl from King Mordvinko of Vladimir's household. Syrka also arranged for Vechkas, the second son of Tetyava 'the Merry', to continue with his studies.

King Syrka had his own good news, as his concubine and personal diviner, Are, gave birth to his first daughter, who they named Sochava. And his wife, Queen Pokshava was now pregnant.

Rs8iRzD.jpg

BWwjarh.jpg

damdiWp.jpg

Before the revolt had ended in Veps, the Khuterkin raiders that plagued the last years of Nuyat's reign returned and began repeatedly pillaging High Chief Nuyksha of Murom’s lands. Syrka couldn’t let the raiders pillage a part of Merya with impunity, but all of his men were tied up finishing the revolt. But as soon as the revolt ended, he kept the army together and sent them south to deal with the raiders.

Of course, the raiders had been busy ravaging further Murom lands sacking Ryazan and Mordva and then laying siege to the temple at Pereyaslavl Ryazanski. The Meryan warriors moved quickly and the Khuterkin raiders were brought to heel in the Battle of Pereyaslavl Ryazanski and driven from Merya. Several prisoners were brought back to Yaroslavl and questioned by Mastorava, revealing some startling news.

awFwdo2.jpg

Khagan Bihor 'the Wolf' of Khazaria was dead. His son, also called Bihor, was the new Khagan of Khazaria, but he was not the man his father was, and not all had accepted his leadership. Khazaria was sundered. Bagha of Khuterkin, the leader of the raiders, had refused to recognize the new Khagan of Khazaria, and had proclaimed himself Khagan Bagha of Khuterkin and had gone his own way. The rest of Khazaria is facing a revolt and the new Khagan Bihor II of Khazaria was in hiding.

jfMXH6h.jpg

This news, as well as a message he receives from Chief Pakstyan of Mochkava, has King Syrka convene his Council. The Voice of Merya, Nuyaksha of Murom, High Chief Brun ‘the Monster’, and Are Ridala, the Diviner, were already waiting when Syrka arrived with War Chief Ozheg, and Mastorava, the mistress of spies. Two other men and a number of warriors accompanied the King. One was Pakstyan of Mochkava and the other was Chief Nuyaksha of Chlisselbourg.

High Chief Brun sprang up as soon as Pakstyan entered the room, “What is that man doing here! He is a rebel and a traitor.” Pakstyan was currently leading a revolt withing the High Chiefdom of Mochkava against Brun.

Syrka frowned, “A traitor? Based on the information he has brought me, it is you who are the traitor!”

Brun went red with anger, “What?! You can’t believe that! We are at war! He is obviously lying. He can’t beat me on the field so he has resorted to this treachery.”

Brun looked at the other Councilors for support, “It is all fabrications.” But none seemed interested in coming to his defense.

Syrka moved forward to stand in front of Brun, his guards and the Hero Ozheg also closed in. Syrka leaned and spoke softly so only Brun could hear, “I already knew you were a traitor. I know you supported my brother’s plot.”

Brun went pale and staggered back. Syrka spoke louder, “Arrest him and take him away.”

The guards seized his arms as Ozheg reached over and plucked Brun’s weapons from his belt and placed them on the Council table. Then the guards dragged Brun away. Syrka smiled to himself. Out of the five men who had conspired to kill him, only one now remained free and unpunished, High Chief Parush of Mari. And this time, he had arrested the man without sparking a revolt.

Syrka turned around, and first turned to Chief Pakstyan, “Thank you for your assistance, Chief Pakstyan. That will be all.” Chief Pakstyan smiled and bowed and took his leave.

Next, Syrka motioned Chief Nuyaksha of Chlisselbourg forward, “Please take a seat, Chief Nuyaksha.” Then he addressed the rest of the Council, “Chief Nuyaksha will be taking the traitor’s place as Steward.”

rdJW1AD.jpg

The other Nuyaksha, High Chief of Murom, shook his head, “What will you do with the traitor?”

Syrka answered, “I had not given it much thought, perhaps I should revoke some of his titles, perhaps one of the High Chiefdom titles he holds.”

Nuyaksha shook his head, “That would not sit well your other vassals.”

“What? He is a traitor.”

“True, and they will see you were justified in placing him under arrest. But you have no claim on any of his titles, so have no justification for revoking them. It will be seen as tyranny.”

Syrka frowned, “So what does that leave, execution, imprisonment, or a ransom?”

“Execution will brand you as a kinslayer. And Brun lacks the funds to pay an equitable ransom and fine for his crimes.”

Syrka scowled, “Fine, we’ll throw him in the darkest dungeon alongside that other traitor, Velmayka.”

YVPjkfq.jpg

The Council all nodded assent, but Mastorava spoke up, “Speaking of prisoners, it came to my attention when we were locking up Velmayka and when I was getting information from the Khazar prisoners, that there are two more prisoners in the dungeons. Two men who have been there for close to 14 years as near as I can tell.”

King Syrka asked, ”Who are they?”

“It appears they were taken prisoner during the war that gave King Nuyat the crown of Estonia. Apparently, no one was willing or able to pay their ransom at the time and they were forgotten. One man is named Tarva of Radicofani, a bastard without family. The other…“ She paused and stole a glance at Are. “is named Vilitõiv Ridala.”

350Eoxb.jpg

Are gasped, “Vilitõiv is alive?! We thought he had died long ago.”

Syrka was confused, “Who is this Vilitõiv?”

Are turned to Syrka, “Vilitõiv is one of my kinsmen, he was lost during the war for Estonia. We thought he had died. You must free him immediately, I must see him.” She started to rise, but Syrka reached out and patted her arm.

“He will be released. They both will. I promise. But after we are finished with the Council meeting. Another hour will make little difference. And then you can go and release him yourself and see to his care.”

Are nodded and sat back down, tears in her eyes, “Thank you.”

Syrka addressed the full Council, “Now that traitor has been dealt with, let’s take care of any other minor business, before we discuss Khazaria.”

High Chief Nuyaksha went first, “King Ensio of Suomi has sent a message, his son Tuure has come of age, and he is asking if you will honor the betrothal that was made by King Nuyat to marry his granddaughter, Tetyava, Tetyava the Merry’s daughter, to young Tuure.”

Syrka shrugged, “I have no objection. As long as the wedding is held in Suomi.”

zWIPA80.jpg

Several of the Councilors laughed. Yaroslavl had recently hosted two weddings. While Varaka’s wedding to Cherava had been a rather quiet celebration, Nuyaksha’s, Robin’s son’s, wedding to Badiat Kardazid had been a raucous affair. The Merry Men had gotten wildly drunk in celebration and had caused considerable damage, a number of injuries, and probably a few pregnancies. Syrka himself had let loose during the party. He had been drinking heavily due to the recent passing of his old friend Puresh, but luckily, he been taken in hand by young Saksa of Udine who had kept Syrka’s quarrelsome nature from beaking free and helped him come to terms with the loss of his friend.

pdWQxtp.jpg

iyxkVTt.jpg

Nuyaksha continued once the laughter died down, “Very well, I shall inform King Ensio and Tetyava. Next, internally, as you know from earlier, Pakstyan of Mockhava is leading a revolt against High Chief Brun ‘the Monster’. The war will continue without Brun, but the dynamic has certainly changed as of today. High Chief Çortah of Latgale is also facing an internal revolt. Apparently, he tried to revoke the Chiefdom of Jersika, and the current Chief refused. Çortah ‘the Kind’ is not faring well and will most likely fail to claim Jersika.”

“In the southwest, Chief Imanta 'the Milkdrinker' of Pinsk, one of your Lettigallian vassals, has usurped the Temple of Luboml and the Chiefdom of Vladimir Volynsky from Chief Voislav of Cherven.

Ozheg spoke up, “Vladimir Volynsky is on the south bank of the Pripyat River. Isolated from most of our holdings, it won’t be easy to defend if someone wants to take it back.”

NsKcLSl.jpg

Nuyaksha continued, “On the opposite end of the kingdom, Chief Wayn of Vym, a vassal of the High Chief of Zyriane has subjugated all of Zavarot and raised himself up as the High Chief of Zavarot. Merya now controls the coast of the White Sea all the way to the Siberian Wastes.”

“Chief Biur of Perm, one of Brun’s vassals, has usurped Tynea from Khan Bugha of Bughid in the far east.”

hj0oc97.jpg

rlNQDYL.jpg

Syrka digested that for a second, “So my Kingdom is expanding on its own?”

Nuyaksha nodded, “Your vassals have their own ambitions which have expanded the realm, though these ambitions may not always benefit you. As this last item demonstrates.”

He paused, “High Chief Parush of Mari is attempting to press his claims for the Kingdom of Nenetsia and other titles against his half-brother King Khaireddin. If he wins, the High Chiefdom of Mari will become part of Nenetsia.”

Syrka was shocked, his enemy was trying to gain power and steal land from him, and once he gains Nenetsia, he will try again to claim Merya. “Will he succeed?”

Ozheg spoke up, “It is doubtful. Parush has no allies other than his vassals. Khaireddin has more lands and personal levys to call on and many more vassals, and it appears all of his vassals are rallying around their young King.”

yujY3b2.jpg

Syrka calmed down, “Good, keep me informed.”

Nuyaksha and Ozheg both nodded, and Nuyaksha said “That is all, from me for now, unless we are ready to talk about the Khazars.”

Syrka looked around, the other Nuyaksha, the new Steward, obviously had nothing, so he looked to Are.

“Anything of interest, Are?”

She startled, obviously thinking about her kinsman, and then smiled, “Nothing except that having Queen Pokshava be Queen of the Harvest at the festival to Akka was well received and the Harvest Festival was a rousing success. Surely Akka will bless your child.”

IHei3dQ.jpg

Syrka beamed, “Thank you, that is good news.”

Syrka looked around again. Anything special Mastorava had to report would be done later in privacy. “Let us move on to Khazaria, what do we know?”

Mastorava spoke up, “As I reported previously, Bihor ‘the Wolf’ is dead and his son is facing desertion and revolt. The Khuterkin have already broken free, and many of the subjugated Chiefs are in revolt lead by Khan Tarkhan, also trying to break free.”

The Councilors all smiled at the news.

But Mastorava was not finished, “This is not all good news. The balance of power on the steppe is shifting, while Khazaria faces its troubles, Ashina is growing strong again.”

“What do you mean?”

“Our Chief Biur of Perm was able to steal Tynea away from the Bughid because they were also under attack from the Ashina. The Ashina have won and pulled the Bughid clan back into their horde. Khagan Iltäbär 'the Despoiler' of Ashina has not only defeated the Bughid, he has also defeated Khagan Őzüge 'the Scourge of the Tengri’, the leader of the Kirghiz, in the east, gaining additional land. We do not know where Khagan Iltäbär will strike next. Will he try to reclaim some of the land we liberated from the Ashina in the past?”

uT5Kew5.jpg

Ozheg spoke up, “We will deal with the Ashina if they come. Right now, there is opportunity in the west with the chaos in Khazaria. We just need to determine the best way to take advantage of this.”

Nuyaksha spoke up, “We need to determine whether to attack Bihor directly or attack the Khazar rebels. If we attack the rebels and Bihor wins his war, ours will end and all of our losses will be for nothing. If we attack Bihor, and he wins the revolt, he’ll get a sudden surge of reinforcements.”

Syrka leaned forward, “If we go to war, we will be going to claim this land,” he said, pointing at the map. “The only question is can we claim it before the Khazarian revolt ends.”

They all leaned forward to follow Syrka’s finger. Ozheg smiled in satisfaction, “At least my daughter didn’t marry a complete fool.”

Nuyaksha of Chlisselbourg spoke for the first time, “Polotsk? Why Polotsk?”

Ozheg shook his head, “Because if we liberate Polotsk, we gain control of the Daugava River traffic and we provide a land link to all our isolated vassals, both the Chiefs of Latgale and the Lettigallian Chiefs in the south.”

S8ghCa3.jpg

Then Ozheg looked at Syrka, “We have the time to liberate Polotsk. The Khazarian revolt has barely begun and with Bihor hiding, rather than fighting, it won’t be ending any time soon.”

King Syrka nodded, “Then we will prepare for war.”

• 1Love
Reactions:
These forgotten prisoners one occasionally stumble across.

Thew news from Khazaria is good, some of the plotting closer to home is not, but on the whole I think Syrka is settling well into the role.

Reactions:
The house of Robin is moving up in the world. I would keep an eye on Nuyaksha, talented, and ambitious as he is.
I like how Syrka is growing into the kingship. He may not be a great warrior but he could bring some long-sought stability to Merya.
Ah, the forgotten prisoners...I always feel bad and have an amnesty when a new ruler comes in.
Concerning news from Nenetsia but I hope that Khaireddin will hold onto his throne now that he will become a man.
Onward to Polotsk! Though Khazaria is slow to die, I think Merya is far past worrying about them.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I just realized this past week that this AAR was started over a year ago. I want to thank all you have read this far and all of you who have commented and those of you have been generous enough to even nominate my story and characters for recognition in the weekly and quarterly and annual awards. Your continued support means a lot and will carry me forward.

It's strange to think that I have been doing the same play through that long, as I usually finish a typical game or give up and start start a new one every few weeks. But I have kept myself from playing too far ahead in this game, so a year later I have still only played the Kardazid dynasty for 250 years, and there is still 450 years to go, if I make it to the end. I've currently played about 40 years ahead of the chapter I'm about to post and there is a lot to tell in those 40 years, and can't imagine where we will end up with another 400 years beyond that, but I plan to keep going with this for the foreseeable future and hope you will all follow along. Thank you.

King Syrka, is really growing into the role, if he lives long enough I can see him becoming a truly great leader.

He never expected to be King, but he is learning as he goes, and survived the first direct threat to his life..

These forgotten prisoners one occasionally stumble across.

Thew news from Khazaria is good, some of the plotting closer to home is not, but on the whole I think Syrka is settling well into the role.

They did well to survive 14 years in the dungeon, even after no one remembers why they were there in the first place. Khazaria has lost a strong leader, and it is still up in the air whether his son can hold Khazaria together, but Syrka sees the opportunity and will try and take advantage. Luckily, most of the plotting is vassal against vassal, which keep s them from turning on the King. The only plots directed at Syrka have been dealt with by Mastorava.

The house of Robin is moving up in the world. I would keep an eye on Nuyaksha, talented, and ambitious as he is.
I like how Syrka is growing into the kingship. He may not be a great warrior but he could bring some long-sought stability to Merya.
Ah, the forgotten prisoners...I always feel bad and have an amnesty when a new ruler comes in.
Concerning news from Nenetsia but I hope that Khaireddin will hold onto his throne now that he will become a man.
Onward to Polotsk! Though Khazaria is slow to die, I think Merya is far past worrying about them.

The house of Robin will rise, but it will be a bit of an illusion. Syrka will never be a great warrior , but he does have an excallent grasp of strategy and tactics, even if he needs to depend n others to fight the battles. The prisoners were a surprise, especiaaly discovering one was close kin to Syrka's concubine and diviner, so of course freed them unconditionally. Syrka is certianly rooting for Khaireddin, not only to prevent the loss of part of his Kingdom, but also not wanting to see the man who tried to kill him gain more power.

Khazaria is definitely in decline., and Syrka will do what he can to hasten that.

King Syrka and the way inheritance divided the kingdom quite refreshed this AAR. I wish him a long rule and his own unique bloodline.

Elective gavelkind certainly keeps Merya more dynamic as gaining too much land can backfire and cause new Kingdoms to break away and form at each succession, setting back any plans to create an empire or reform a religion.

Reactions:
957-960 Liberation of Polotsk and the Aftermath
957-960 Liberation of Polotsk and the Aftermath

Merya was mobilizing for war, but it Syrka did not plan to march until after the spring thaw. Syrka stayed warm in Yaroslavl and welcomed a new son just before the winter solstice. They named the boy after the Hero and War Chief, the boy’s beaming grandfather Ozheg.

Syrka also tempted fate and the new-won loyalty of the Merry Men. Badiat, the exotic looking daughter of the late King Nuyat and his former concubine, Asiya, and the new bride of Nuyaksha Robin’s son, caught his eye and his heart and he began flirting with the girl. He ignored the possible dangers, and while his wife was nursing the new born son, he bedded the girl. Before winter had ended, he learned that she was pregnant with his child, but they both hoped Nuyaksha and the rest of Yaroslavl would think the child was Nuyaksha’s.

1VGBxdv.jpg

2WTG9ro.jpg

But while Syrka was staying warm in Badiat’s arms other parts of Yaroslavl felt the cold of the deepest part of winter, and soon the depressed and stressed High Chief Brun 'the Monster' of Mochkava died in the hole Syrka had thrown him in. Brun was not the only one, his co-conspirator, High Chief Velmayka of Veps, has also died in Syrka's dungeon that winter.

tpL0ewa.jpg

Brun’s lands were split. His 12-year old son, Parush, became High Chief of Veliky Ustug, while Syrka’s current heir, Nuyaksha, son of High Chief Tylze of Tver, became the new High Chief of Mochkava. High Chief Nuyaksha also inherited the revolt in Mochkava. High Chief Velmayka of Veps’ land and titles went to his kinsman, Kezhapa Torzhokid. Two more plotters were gone for good. The only conspirator left was High Chief Parush of Mari, known as 'the Careless.

gTGW45v.jpg

n1uFa17.jpg

Brun’s replacement as Steward, did not outlast Brun by much. The new Steward, Chief Nuyaksha of Chlisselbourg, died of cancer during the winter months as well. The new Chief of Chlisselbourg was Tyushtya Torzhokid, a one-handed lunatic, but he lasted less than a month as Tyushtya had an 'accident'. Perhaps someone decided a madman didn't make a good Chief. But it turned out his son, the new Chief Orunza of Chlisselbourg, was also mad.

Syrka needed a new steward, and so messages were sent to High Chief Yar 'the Tormentor' in Nidaros, offering him the position. Syrka did not expect an answer or to see his new steward until the spring when the army would begin to gather.

FZqim21.jpg

Pe3pQrn.jpg

War Chief Ozheg Artid spent the winter training the men that were already in Yaroslavl in preparation for the coming campaign. Commander Varaka was one who showed remarkable improvement under Ozheg's guidance.

When spring arrived, the warriors of Merya descended on Yaroslavl. All but the two furthest eastern Chiefs had pledged their support, even High Chief Folki of Iceland. Only High Chief Nabtiko ‘the Mule’ of Zyriane and his former vassal, and now neighbor, High Chief Wayngachi of Zavarot failed to appear. They were too busy adjusting to their new situation to want to march west to war. Nabtiko fearing Wayngachi had further ambitions to expand and Wayngachi wondering if Nabtiko would try to make him bend the knee again.

High Chief Yar 'the Tormentor' of Nidaros showed up to take his postion on the Council as Steward. He also brought news that his vassal, Hemming of Nordland, had usurped the Chiefdom of Kantalahti from the Catholic King of Noregr, Hakon ‘the Chaste’. Giving Merya another port on the White Sea and making the King of Suomi a bit uncomfortable.

Sqqt6vz.jpg

King Syrka was feeling better than he had in years, the pain of his gout had receded over the winter enough that he decided to accompany his men west to Vitebsk, the first target of the war. After a small skirmish outside of Vitebsk, word reached them of the main rebel horde was just to the south in Orsha. Syrka lead 7,200 warriors south into Orsha to engage the 3,700 rebel Khazars.

For the first time in years, Syrka entered into battle. Syrka didn’t lead the charge, but he directed his men forward, sitting on horseback in the rear, as he still wasn’t up to running forward on foot and fighting personally. Before the battle had barely begun, additional reinforcements from Syrka’s vassals arrived and joined the attack. The Khazars quickly saw that the battle was hopeless and fled, their more mobile mounted troops quickly out distancing any pursuit.

9ZqYGOO.jpg

Syrka ordered his men to break off and return north to lay siege to Vitebsk. He sent his vassal troops west into Lukoml to capture the other target of the war. It would take until the start of the new year for Vitebsk to finally fall into Merya’s hands. Lukoml’s fall would follow in a couple months.

The fall of Lukoml led to the capture of several valuable prisoners which all were turned over to Syrka . These included many members of High Chief Sviatopolk of Polotsk’s family. His wife, High Chieftess Savkëlti of Polotsk, a Khazar girl, his brother, Radoslav Vidins, Radoslav’s wife, Jevna Penikis, and their son, Skornand Vidins, and finally Sbyslava, High Chief Sviatopolk’s daughter. Sviatopolk himself was in the field leading troops.

RCdqRxo.jpg

While the Meryan armies would winter in the captured villages, Syrka returned home to Yaroslavl. There he learned Badiat had given birth to a daughter, who was named named Oshama. Fortunately, her husband, Nuyaksha, and the rest of the world thinks the girl is his child, so Syrka feels secure enough to continue the affair. He also receives messages from High Chief Çortah 'the Kind' that accuse his Councilor High Chief Nuyaksha 'the Just' of Murom of treason. Syrka decides to side with the Voice of Merya and dismisses the accusation. High Chief Çortah was not happy being called a liar. Finally, Syrka receives word that High Chief Folki is attempting to claim the rest of Iceland from the Irish Chief of Austisland. Syrka wishes him luck, though he has little idea of where or what Autisland is.

nCvB1uI.jpg

A final bit of news reaches him in the spring, High Chief Sviatopolk of Polotsk was murdered, making his brother Radoslav, Syrka's prisoner, the new High Chief of Polotsk. As Radoslav was in a dungeon at the time, he is not a suspect in his brother’s death, but his value as a prisoner increased significantly. Syrka makes sure the prisoner is secure and then moves forward with the war to liberate High Chief Radoslav from his Khazar overlords.

RcgNlv4.jpg

The Merry men leave their winter quarters and Syrka leaves Yaroslavl and his newly pregnant wife and they meet in the rebel lands of Vyzma. However, they find Vyzma hasd already been captured by another army, in an unrelated war to his own, so the Meryans turn south and lay siege to Mstislavl instead. Mstislavl falls by mid summer, with three more noble prisoners taken.

The Merry Men and allies then attack the Khazar rebel army at Roslavl. In the Battle of Roslavl, Merya nd her vassals outnumber the rebels more than 2 to 1, but the battle is hard fought and both sides lose an equal number of men. But Merya has the numbers to win this battle of attrition, and once again the rebels are forced to flee.

l49E13i.jpg

Tarkhan Bihord, the leader of the Khazarian revolt, knows he can’t keep fighting war on two fronts and he cares little for the people in Polotsk, so he is willing to discuss peace with Syrka. He agrees to cede Polotsk to Merya, ending the Liberation war, while his war against Khagan Bihor II continues. Merya’s western provinces are now all linked again to the rest of the kingdom though the High Chiefdom of Polotsk.

6YzrpUN.jpg

Syrka’s prisoner High Chief Radoslav of Polotsk is now Syrka’s vassal, but he does not want to add give the Lettigallian voting bloc in the Kingdom another supportor, so using the religious revocation laws of the Kingdom, he strips his prisoner of first the High Chiefdom of Polotsk and then his holdings in Lukoml. No one except his fellow Romuva vassals in the south object. Then Syrka banishes the now landless Radoslav Vidins, leaving him with nothing.

ZJPAA4u.jpg

Radoslav’s former vassal tribe of Vitebsk is held by the Slavic Hero Chief Vysheslav 'the Hunter' of the old Ilmenian Kryvich family. The man is 72 years old, and so Syrka originally considers leaving him to die in peace in his home. But Mastorava discovers that Chief Vysheslav is trying to fabricate a claim on the High Chiefdom of Polotsk, so Syrka orders his arrest. The old hunter is too wily to be caught napping and escapes capture, and raises his warriors in rebellion.

Syrka calls his vassals to war, some of the distant ones understandably refuse, but also some of the Lettigallians also refuse, still angered about Syrka's treatment of Radoslav, one of their own. Vitebsk has little hope and soon falls, ending the rebellion. The old hunter is imprisoned. Syrka treats him similarly to Radoslav, stripping him of Vitebsk and then banishing him from Merya. Vysheslav 'the Hunter' fled across the border to Kozelsk, nursing his hatred.

35O1mNZ.jpg

jWt1pmf.jpg

The result of these wars proved quite beneficial, not only did Syrka connect his divided Kingdom, he also added to his personal lands and titles and filled his empty treasury with gold stripped from the previous chiefs. But the wars also had their down sides as Merya’s gains led to three defensive pacts rising against King Syrka. The pagan defensive pact includes his neghboring Kardazid Kings as well as some Khagans and other Chiefs. Far to the west, King Nannid of Mumu forms the Catholic defensive pact against King Syrka, probably more concerned about High Chief Folki's wars in Iceland rather than anything King Syrka did personally. High Chief Folki soon claimed all of Iceland, taking the temple of Kirkjubaer and the Chiefdom of Austisland from the Irish, making all of the island of Iceland part of Merya, though it is held by a Norse child.

The Christian defensive pact formed by King Nannid, briefly the Chief of Austisland, before he was deposed, as well as King Hakon of Noregr and Syrka's wife's kinsman, High Chief Zyryan of Ural in the east. The eastern religions’ defensive pact is a pact of one, Khagan Ipa' the Butcher'.

dEQc0HD.jpg

With those brief wars behind them, life continues in Yaroslavl. Syrka and his Queen Pokshava soon welcome the birth of another son, who they name Kinyak. But this boy gives only a feeble cry at birth, the shamans and midwives do not think the boy will ever grow strong.

pTrrEnd.jpg

A Catholic missionary arrives in Yaroslavl, Bishop Wulnoth of Carlisle, who was sent by a King Thurfrith of England (it seems King Wulf 'the Old' had finally passed). He comes to Syrka and begins begging Syrka to have the baby baptized before it dies so its soul will go to heaven rather than the fires of hell. Syrka ignores his ranting and treats him the same as all previous missionaries. Bishop Wulnoth is imprisoned and held until they can negotiate a ransom, and then he is sent on his way home.

K8gAd5L.jpg

After his two years on campaign, Syrka has come to appreciate the comforts of home and family. He soon reverts to his old patterns and begins indulging in too much food and drink. He is quite content to spend his days in Yaroslavl with his wife and family (and stolen moments with Badiat). But he soon begins to gain weight and this lifestyle also causes renewed flair ups of his gout. That and Queen Pokshava’s disapproval of this new softer, rounder patriarch, soon puts Syrka on to a hard diet. Pokshava does provide incentives for Syrka to stick to the diet, which lead to her becoming pregnant again. She is not the only one as Syrka also learns on the same day that his lover Badiat is also pregnant again.

BQlnbAx.jpg

cVq8kld.jpg

The next nine months pass swiftly with little of note. Syrka’s fellow King, King Khaireddin of Nenetsia has come of age. He is deemed a skilled tactician and brave man, though a little too uncouth and trusting, having been raised by regents rather than in a family setting. He has defeated his older brother, High Chief Parush’s attempt to overthrow him and has now solidified his hold on his lands and titles, though he is fighting a war with Lithuania over Riga. Khaireddin’s wife, Queen Potyava Yugra of Nenetsia, is also lying in, soon to give to birth his first child.

1AZSptv.jpg

To the south another of the Khardazid Kings is at war. King Mordvinko of Vladimir is attacking Khagan Bagha of Khuterkin, to reclaim the last piece of Vladimir’s traditional lands. King Syrka offers to join Mordvinko in his war. The Khuterkins have been sacking and pillaging Merya’s southern border for years and Syrka leaps at the chance to humble the Khazars' responsible. King Mordvinko accepts Syrka offer, but the war is already nearing its end. King Mordvinko wins the Liberation of Vladimir against the Khagan of Khuterkin, restoring Vladimir’s borders, before Syrka has a chance to send any significant help south.

5Q0qBQw.jpg

me3gtSf.jpg

The only other significant event in those nine months was death of High Chief Yar 'the Tormentor' of Nidaros, the Steward of Merya. Yar was killed by his vassal, the ambitious Hemming of Nordland, in personal combat. Hemming continues to porve himself a danagerous man, but he remains, for now, the High Chief of Nidaros’ problem as his most powerful vassal, not the King of Merya’s problem. The new High Chief of Nidaros is Salinder Samayid, the son of Yar and a grandson of King Nuyat. High Chief Salinder of Nidaros holdings stretch from the coast of Noregr to lands on the eastern border of Suomi.

With Yar's death a new steward is once again needed, it seems the steward position was moving ahead of spymaster as the most dangerous seat on the Council. High Chief Wayngachi of Zavarot is chosen as the new Steward. He was not the best candidate, but instead was chosen to appease the powerful vassal and also introduce the distant vassal to the center of the Kingdom.

4qKbcVP.jpg

wrhAUbU.jpg

At the end of the nine months, King Syrka and Queen Pokshava welcome another son, who they named Viryas. He is a healthy boy without any of the problems Kinyak faces. Nuyaksha Robin’s son and his wife Badiat also welcome a son, who is named for the Nuyaksha’s father, Robin. Luckily, Nuyaksha and the rest of Yaroslavl think the boy is his.

YFd85zX.jpg

• 1Love
Reactions:
Quite cruel treatment of Radoslav - never let it be said that Stryka was a slouch at getting what he wanted in creative ways.

Reactions:
Oh dear, the relationship with Badiat feels like very bad news for the future.
The defensive pact will slow down Merya but it's not like it has an urgent need for new lands. Syrka can wait for the panic to pass.
So one way or another the nomads are being pushed back. I wonder how the people of the forest will fare in the middle of the steppe now that the horse lords are waning.

Also, congratulations on a year of the AAR, I look forward to seeing how far the story will go!

Reactions:
Quite cruel treatment of Radoslav - never let it be said that Stryka was a slouch at getting what he wanted in creative ways.

The next chapter is more of the same, Radoslav was just the beginning.

An important milestone for your AAR, well done!

Thank you.

Oh dear, the relationship with Badiat feels like very bad news for the future.
The defensive pact will slow down Merya but it's not like it has an urgent need for new lands. Syrka can wait for the panic to pass.
So one way or another the nomads are being pushed back. I wonder how the people of the forest will fare in the middle of the steppe now that the horse lords are waning.

Also, congratulations on a year of the AAR, I look forward to seeing how far the story will go!

So far they have managed to be discrete, resulting in two cuckoo's eggs being slipped into the Robin's nest.
Syrka will deal with some internal matters next rather than trying to bypass the defensive pacts.
Khazaria is waning, but there are other nomads stepping in to fill their shoes. Merya no longer fears the stepe tribes, but there is still respect them for their ferocity.

Thank you again.

Reactions:
960 - The Lettigallian Purge
960 - The Lettigallian Purge

“We need to deal with the Lettigallians.” Said High Chief Nuyaksha 'the Just' of Murom.

King Syrka looked over at his Voice, “Which Lettigallians?”

“Our Lettigallians, your vassal Chiefs. Most of them refused to answer your call to war when Vysheslav 'the Hunter' rebelled, they refuse to cooperate with the rest of your vassals and now they have joined the independence faction, greatly boosting its power. They have grown increasingly rebellious since you revoked Polotsk and Lukoml from Radoslavl, one of their fellow Romuvans.”

VI8knJr.jpg

Nuyaksha sighed and went on, “King Nuyat shouldn’t have stopped with revoking the High Chief of Latgale from Gedere, he should have revoked all the Lettigallian Chiefs titles at the same time.” Shaking his head, “They have caused nothing but trouble and grief since they were brought into Merya.”

Syrka’s eyes narrowed, “Trouble and grief… such as electing some lowly hunter as King.”

Nuyaksha paled, “I, I meant no offense.”

Syrka laughed, “I kid. And I agree, the Lettigallians are no friends to the crown or to me. They continue to try and disrupt the Kingdom as they did when they cast their votes to make me King.”

“So how do we deal with them?”

Nuyaksha said, “There are only three choices, convert them, kill them, or revoke their titles.”

Are Ridala, the diviner, spoke, “They will never convert to our faith, they would rather fight and die. And if you kill them, their heirs will be no better.”

Syrka looked around, “So we must strip them of their lands and titles?”

The Councillors all agreed, except the new steward High Chief Wayngachi of Zavarot who didn’t say anything, as he was one of the border Chiefs who had actually been part of the independent faction with the Lettigallians until he had been appointed to the Council.

Nuyaksha went on, “The laws allow it due to their religious differences. It’s just a question of how they will react, rebel like Vysheslav 'the Hunter', or go quietly like Radoslav, and Gedere before him.”

Ozheg smiled, “Let them rebel, they are no match for the Merry Men, let alone the the rest of the Meryan levy.”

Wayngachi spoke up, “Then there is the other question.”

They all turned to look at him. Syrka asked “What other question?”

“Who will receive these lands after the Lettigallians are removed?”

Ozheg bristled and came to his feet, “The King will decide that that.”

Wayngachi nodded, “Of course, but with his recent acquisition of Lukoml and Vitebsk, adding six more titles from a distant corner of his realm, far from Yaroslavl, may be too difficult for him to manage personally and he may need to distribute those titles to more local Chiefs. Not I, of course, Zavarot is just about as far from the Lettigallians as you can get and still be in the same Kingdom.”

Syrka gestured to Ozheg to sit back down, “I have no intention of trying to hold onto all of these titles, they will be distributed to able and worthy men. But now is not the time to divide the spoils, let us at least wait until we have them in hand.”

Wayngachi bowed his head, “Of course, King Syrka.”

So one by one, the Lettigallian Chiefs were summoned to Yaroslavl and received the King’s call for revocation. First was the leader of the Lettigallian faction, Chief Valikaila ‘the Bull’ of Orsha, then Chief Vishly of Drutsk, and then the three Turov Chiefs Sabe of Slutsk, Karnak of Pinsk, Chief Vishly of Volkovysk, and finally, Chief Imanta of Vladimir Volynsky. There were angry words and threats, but in the end, none of them were given any chance to rebel. If they had been all been called together at one time, they might have united in rebellion, but individually, they knew they had no choice. They had all fought against the Meryans when King Nuyat had subjugated Latgale and had fought with the Meryans in the years since and they had also seen how quickly Vitebsk’s defiance had lasted. They would not throw away their men’s lives in a useless show of defiance.

Qkkx5jy.jpg

cOA2tVu.jpg

KhCUkHs.jpg

wr0sm9m.jpg

UDZ0iNZ.jpg

NLVb7tI.jpg

The former Lettigallian Chiefs would be held in Yaroslavl until the new Chiefs claimed their lands to forestall any last minute second thoughts or acts of defiance.

In the end, Syrka went even a step further, he also revoked the temple holdings from the Romuva shamans in his new holdings, Shaman Golovke of Klotsk in Volkovysk, Shaman Narvait of Gomel in Slutsk, and Shaman Rurik of Luboml in Vladimir Volynsky.

fo7OeTk.jpg

Syrka moved quickly, with these six new Chiefdoms and three new temples, he now had controlled fourteen holdings directly. Realistically, he could only manage maybe seven without it distracting him from his duties as King. So he needed to distribute at least seven of his titles either to existing Chiefs or elevate unlanded men to take control of these lands. But which of the fourteen titles did he wish to release? The royal domains of Yaroslavl and Uglich he would of course keep, that left the three temples, the six newly acquired Chiefdoms, plus Lukoml, Vitebsk, and his original Chiefdom of Syktyvkar to choose from.

Within a month, Syrka held a great feast to celebrate their recent victories and to bestow various titles both minor and great. He gave away no clues as to who would be receiving what, he just invited everyone from the simple warriors who had served him well to the High Chiefs of Merya.

After much food and drink, Ozheg bellowed for everyone’s attention and the King began calling men forth to receive their new lands and titles.

He dealt with the temples first. After some consultation with his diviner Are Ridala he had chosen three candidates. The first was Potyava, a genius Meshchera woman. Despite the fact she is bearing a child out of wedlock, she is made priestess of Gomel in Slutsk. Next is a distant kinsman, a son of the High Chief of Tver named Chipaz. He is named Shaman Chipaz of Klotsk in Volkovysk. And finally, a commoner named Tul is granted the Temple of Luboml in the distant frontier of Vladimir Volynsky.

LfusVsm.jpg

Then Syrka moved on to the higher titles. First, the most isolated land, the Chiefdom of Vladimir Volynsky, was granted to Syrka’s lone surviving uncle, a natural born son of his grandfather named Kezhedey Kezhedeyid. Kezhedey and his giant son, another Kezhedey, were the only close kin Syrka had left as his father, his half-brother, and his other uncles were all dead. Though a few aunts did remain. Syrka also arranged a wife for his cousin Kezhedey, Elyuva, one of the daughters of Tetyava 'the Merry'.

zCOeRu6.jpg

qXzJUOJ.jpg

The Chiefdoms of Volkovysk and Pinsk along the Pripyat River were granted to Dergun 'the Ill-tempered' of Udine and Deryab 'the Hunter' respectively for their years of service. The House of Udine had served the Kardazids for generations and Dergun was currently one of Syrka’s commanders and father of Syrka’s newest friend Saksa of Udine. This assured that Saksa would become the next Chief of Volkovysk after his father. Deryab ‘the Hunter’ was actually the most skilled commander serving High Chief Parush of Mari. With this move, Syrka stripped his enemy Parush of his best man and bought that man’s loyalty for himself.

4bpsWrA.jpg

EVfHWwD.jpg

Finally, he turned to the Champion of Merya and the leader of the Merry Men, Robin of house Robin. To him was granted first the Chiefdom of Slutsk as well as the newly created High Chiefdom of Turov, making him liege to the new Chiefs Dergun and Deryab. This move not only awarded Robin for his long years of service to Merya, it also cemented the loyalty of the Merry Men to Syrka and provided Merya with a strong, proven leader to guard the western borders.

OnWIo1N.jpg

But Syrka had another motive unknown to all but himself and his lover Badiat. Raising up the Robin dynasty would provide for the future of the two children he could not acknowledge.

Orsha and Drutsk would remain part of Syrka’s Royal domain, along with Yaroslavl, Uglich, Syktyvkar, Lukoml and Vitebsk.

• 1Love
Reactions:
Well now, that is one source of internal discord rather neatly and effectively dealt with.

Reactions: