• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Azenvarn

Recruit
Sep 4, 2013
I am currently using the 5700xt on the iMac in Catalina 10.15.6 and getting very poor FPS performance with frequent stutters during zoom in comparison to Windows with the exact same settings. I am wondering if this is the issue with the game on the macOS version because running other titles, such as Cities Skylines, gives me a similar performance on both operating systems.

Thanks.

I am running on a 2017 MacBook Pro, latest software update, and I should meet all the minimum specs Paradox says for Mac OS, but man is it laggy. And drops frames, especially when the 1st crusade launched... the game became unplayable at that point. I even turned all of the settings down to as low as you possibly could, but each tick of a passing day would struggle, and you could barely move around the map paused, let alone while it was in play... Is this hardware? Can my MacBook Pro not play this game? Or is this a glitch?

Note that this game is not supported on Intel video Macs , which covers most Mac laptops I'm afraid.

I doubt that's the issue with the iMacs mentioned above, but if you could all confirm your video systems and amount of RAM, thanks!

Note that this game is not supported on Intel video Macs , which covers most Mac laptops I'm afraid.

I doubt that's the issue with the iMacs mentioned above, but if you could all confirm your video systems and amount of RAM, thanks!

Im running the following:
iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2020), 3.8 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i7, 32 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, AMD Radeon Pro 5700 XT 16 GB.

As mentioned above, poor fps with serious stuttering occurring when panning and when there are several armies moving around the map (crusades). Performance is not smooth to be sure. Quite unlike Hoi4 which runs very well!

My iMac has the following card: AMD RADEON PRO 580 W/8GB VRAM.

The strange thing is that it feels like preformance is really good in CK3. It runs okej on my macbook pro 15" from 2011, in bootcamp. But my iMac cant run it in MacOS. Hmm! :)

My 2017 MBP has a dedicated GPU, I believe its the AMD 560 4GB (I may be a bit off, I can check again when I get home) But I know I have more than the integrated graphics

I also have the iMac with 5700xt, Core i7, and 16 GB Ram. Runs over 60 FPS in Windows. In macOS stuttering, especially during zoom in and out, and also steam overlay is not working while working in other games.

I use BootCamp with my MacMini (with eGPU), and CK3 runs *perfectly* on Windows, but when I switch back to Mac (OS 15.15.5), it's stuttery and has low FPS. The hardware is exactly the same, so it must be how CK3 runs on the operating system?

Hardware specs:
5600XT (6GB), i7-8700, 32 GB RAM

Note: this is true, to an extent, with all Paradox games in my experience (i.e., just runs better on a Windows with the precise same specs), but it's very very apparent in CK3, so I would guess there's a more serious issue at play

I use BootCamp with my MacMini (with eGPU), and CK3 runs *perfectly* on Windows, but when I switch back to Mac (OS 15.15.5), it's stuttery and has low FPS. The hardware is exactly the same, so it must be how CK3 runs on the operating system?

Hardware specs:

Note: this is true, to an extent, with all Paradox games in my experience (i.e., just runs better on a Windows with the precise same specs), but it's very very apparent in CK3, so I would guess there's a more serious issue at play

I’m still trouble shooting this here, but yes, its true that you will get better performance in windows than Mac OS on their games. But my current experience with my 2017 MBP is that the game is currently unplayable in Mac OS. This just seems wrong to me. I did get it to run *perfect* in bootcamp last night though. So I’m still holding out hope that we can at least get it to be acceptable in Mac OS.

Further, I have seen multiple reports from Mac users here and on reddit saying they are getting the game to run well in Mac OS on similar and worse spec’d machines than what I have

I’m still trouble shooting this here, but yes, its true that you will get better performance in windows than Mac OS on their games. But my current experience with my 2017 MBP is that the game is currently unplayable in Mac OS. This just seems wrong to me. I did get it to run *perfect* in bootcamp last night though. So I’m still holding out hope that we can at least get it to be acceptable in Mac OS.

Further, I have seen multiple reports from Mac users here and on reddit saying they are getting the game to run well in Mac OS on similar and worse spec’d machines than what I have

Yes, which is why I suspect there's something more serious going on if worse spec'd machines do better.

(edit: removed comments about min specs)

Last edited:

Hardware specs:

It is not the case that you can expect the same performance in Windows and MacOS on the same hardware. MacOS uses openGL which is a less polished and slower video standard than Windows' DirectX. That's why our published requirements for this an all our games are higher on Mac than Windows.

Which is no to say that CK3's performance on Mac cannot be improved, just to be clear!

Well that's interesting! And unexpected I have to say ... any further details on that?

Well that's interesting! And unexpected I have to say ... any further details on that?

Ive seen and talked to a few people who claim they’re getting the game to run fine on machines as old as 2013 Macbook pro, although to be fair, it is just hearsay. One person told me they even had it running with no problems with just the integrated intel GPU in Mac OS, but I am still skeptical, because I suspect he actually has the same setup as me with a AMD 4GB GPU

So I don’t really know, just random things Ive heard from others