Game is pointless for me with new inheritance system

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Honestly that really broke the game for me.

I will have to wait until Modders fix it to finally be independent from High Medieval/Late Medieval.

There is no point, as you are not given a chance to play the game at all. Get the Culture lead, wait on proccs ( Fun and Engaging Gameplay... not) then you need to wait until the time has come to wait for more proccs to advance into the next era. After you procced that then, you just need to do some more proccing.

Also there is again no chance to at least play small or so. Have a well fortified and advanced core duchy your heir will completely get because that is also fucked.. You end up with a worthless Duke title and a Capital So there is no point in going more development than your capital because the moment your old character dies. They just will rise and revolt, everyone will line up with their armies waiting and fancy realms outside yours also throw in their dick for you to suck. My own uncle and my son both joined a faction to put me to abdicated to a forgeiner so I go Game-Over. That should never ever get supported, Family should have -1000 modifier to that (Likes the family to rule). In short you try to expand, finally you broken the alliances by scheming, can make a move and then you acquire more foreigners, more problems and then eventually you die and it all ignites. Sorry that is all but fun to have literarily no control over the realm.

Just stop doing the do when you have an heir (at least your wife) while you are only a Duke and once you have a Duchy all you titles in there are protected by partition for your primary Heir. Or just make that Duchy a priority when you have multiple Duke titles.
Succession is a complex matter, but once you get the hang of it... you won't have any issues any more.

If you want easy succession just use mods or the console, plenty of ways to get the easy mode.
But I really think that primogeniture is inferior to most Elective type successions. Because with the Elective you can breed a strong Dynasty since you can choose your heir.

I don't think so, I'm still having issues. My top title (Kingdom of Ireland) and a random county go to my tanist, but everything else is split up by straight up partition among my sons. I hadn't noticed this happening yesterday. Even if I set the duchies I have to tanistry as well, the counties within them get split up.

So in my case, my tanist (3rd son) gets Isle of Man, Duchy of Meath, Duchy of Connacht, and Kingdom of Ireland. Every county within Meath (my capital duchy) goes to my eldest son, and every county within Connacht goes to my 2nd son.

Edit: Just wanted to add. This can't be intended, right? If it is, elective succession is pointless. I figured elective was used to give flexibility to determine your primary heir, rather than your eldest son having that spot. Basically, I figured adding an elective law to the top title makes your realm partition effectively into elective gavelkind.

I can confirm for other elective types that it works.
The only problem is when the top title goes via election to your primary Heir, but the Title below it with you capital and all goes to a different Heir via Election.
In that case it splinters. (In my case the Empire and the Kingdom with the Capital went to different Heirs)
You basically have to ensure that your primary Heir gets all Titles below him that connect to you Capital.

Btw, Tanistry is in my opinion the worst Elective type, since it favors Old people. (which means it's hard to set up a young heir)

I think most people would be content with how splitting works (outside of losing control of home duchy, that didn't happen in most cases) IF we actually could negotiate with other family and vassals and act according to opinion and person character. I mean, i want to be a benevolent ruler, and treat my family well, but if upon current character death main heir get shafted and my other sons start to act outside of character (while still having positive opinion) it's not "expanding dynasty instead of personal holdings", it's inviting neighbors to roll you over. Especially because allies often don't help you in wars, and with biggest single stack wins (which, again, require consolidation).

This. As a new player it took me hours of experiments and reading Wiki and forums to get basic grasp of this. And i still unsure how it will turn out. If anything Tutorial should include scripted ruler death and step by explanation about who gets what title and land and why. Wish someone write a guide for this with examples and all the things you can do to sway situation in your favor.

Really just don't bother with Elective Titles for Duchy and Dukes, it's totally not worth it.
If you get the Kingdom above via Election and the Capital is in the De Jure of that, your Duchy- and Dukes-titles will go to the elected Heir. (since with Partition the De jure core goes to the primary Heir)

Multiple electives just means more chance for Failure. If the Capital Duchy and the Kingdom go to different people in the Election things blow up.

In my experience the worst thing you can do is create a kingdom title.
Why? Because that way you don´t have enough same tier titles for the extra sons you have and will get all your titles split instead of each getting a duchy and the associated land. So you can have 4 duchy titles and counties only in your capital duchy and on succession up to 3 extra sons get those duchies and you get to keep your counties and capital duchy, then it is time to declare war to get back the lost duchies from your brothers, rinse and repeat.

To make it clear, if you have multiple top titles the inheritance splits those according to de jure so only the title and counties you have in it are split on inheritance.

If you create kingdom there are no equal titles so all your titles are split equally, which means you keep extra (above capital county/duchy and the kingdom) only if your other heirs all have 3 counties/duchies, which leads to the one county king experience.

With Partition, your primary Heir in a single Kingdom would get the Kingdom, the Capital Duchy and all Counties within that Duchy.
The other sons can be your vassals in the other Duchies or Counties.

Your Realm will only split if you have multiple Kingdoms, since a King can't be the vassal of another King.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions:
The elective option does not replace the partition/primogeniture rules. Its a modifier to them, like agnatic-cognatic is. You might be able to pay billions of prestige to chance all the duchies to elective also, but they'd each have different electors so that might not be any better.

I feel like if you grant someone a "fair" amount of land then they should be disqualified from non-primary inheritances. Land is land right? Why does it matter when you get it? At least let me choose who gets what that way. So I can have a plan and be like "Okay I got 4 sons and my wife is too old to make more, I need to capture X counties and gift them to my non-primary heirs."

The way it is now feels pretty random.

this is kinda what happens though. As King William, I gave each of my two spare sons a county and a duchy. When I died, my entire domain went to my first born. The only title lost was an extra duchy for the second born.

Reactions:
Honestly, I'm really enjoying CKIII but I'll admit that there are a couple issues that are bothering me in my first playthrough:

1) I started my first game as Duke of Apulia 1066 (Norman culture) and they start with the worst succession type? They don't even start with Partition, which strikes me as odd. Why should they be worse than French? Is this to nerf William the Conqueror?

2) The calculation of "split evenly" seems a bit..... off. For my first character I had 3 heirs, and a 6/6 demesne. I held the kingdom of Sicily, the duchy of Sicily, 3 counties in Sicily, and three others in random parts of mainland Italy. I was set to lose 5 out of the 6 demesne (domain?) counties, because for some reason one of my non-heirs deserved 3 counties? From memory at least CKII *tried* to keep the capital duchy intact, whereas this seems to be just...... annoying.

3) This also doesn't seem to be at all historical, with realms during this time at least being kept *somewhat* intact. When William died, his oldest got the duchy of Normandy, his second son got England (and all the lands within it), and his third got money to buy land (which might be a fun addition to the Partition succession law? The ability to pay money to one of your sons to compensate them for land seems like a reasonable addition?).

All I really want is just to keep the capital duchy intact. That's it. Anything beyond that can be split between heirs, create new kingdoms or duchies, etc. Just please leave my goddamn capital duchy alone!

Reactions:
Soooo, something odd kick in about elective kingdom inheritance title when you have multiple elective kingdoms titles (I think, not sure what triggered it)

Long story short. Electing my main heir with all the Kingdom title just give him everything and nothing to his brothers. Everything except Kingdom title still confederate partition.

Honestly, I'm really enjoying CKIII but I'll admit that there are a couple issues that are bothering me in my first playthrough:

All I really want is just to keep the capital duchy intact. That's it. Anything beyond that can be split between heirs, create new kingdoms or duchies, etc. Just please leave my goddamn capital duchy alone!

You can give your other children the duchy manually. If you give them the same amount as they would have gotten with the confederate partition system, it will be considered their inheritance and they no longer show in your succession title.

They should simply make a system that allows you to choose which title to give to which son up on death. Its not that i don't want to give the something, what annoys me is that it seems random to me what they get.

• 1Like
Reactions:
They should simply make a system that allows you to choose which title to give to which son up on death. Its not that i don't want to give the something, what annoys me is that it seems random to me what they get.

Agreed. The framework is already there by manually giving the land. They just need to turn that into a reserve inheritance land.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the first DLC is for Merchant Republics, and we will then get some interesting inheritance options, since unlike nobles, the head of family controlled "the family" and its assets. It'll be a different kind of challenge, getting the person you want elected, and also getting someone young enough that you have any real control over their lifestyle perks. But, hopefully when they implement republics, it will provide something totally different than hundreds of years of gavel-kind.

Since we have no navies, I'm assuming merchant republic's will rely mostly on mercenaries. But ... I really hope they introduce actual navy mechanics.

Last edited:
Reactions:

Dead people don't talk, which is how that 3 way war for English succession happened.
Just give them their share while they are still alive or get rid of them entirely beforehand.
Or fight a civil war, like brothers do.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Dead people don't talk, which is how that 3 way war for English succession happened.
Just give them their share while they are still alive or get rid of them entirely beforehand.
Or fight a civil war, like brothers do.

They do in fact talk, its called a will.

How did you think the various kids got the land, some angel descends down from on high and picks at random?

The appointed regent or bishop or some other figure would preside over the inheritance and enforce the succession as per the rulers last wishes, current realities and the law. Its also a sanity check so one brother doesnt get a scattershot of land across the kingdom in the other brothers duchies or other such nonsense. Its expected to be at least ideally be an acceptable settlement not temporary border gore until the ottoman style bloodbath takes place.

Last edited:
Reactions:
2) The calculation of "split evenly" seems a bit..... off. For my first character I had 3 heirs, and a 6/6 demesne. I held the kingdom of Sicily, the duchy of Sicily, 3 counties in Sicily, and three others in random parts of mainland Italy. I was set to lose 5 out of the 6 demesne (domain?) counties, because for some reason one of my non-heirs deserved 3 counties? From memory at least CKII *tried* to keep the capital duchy intact, whereas this seems to be just...... annoying.
This is the biggest issue: even split not being really even and it's hard to predict.

This is the biggest issue: even split not being really even and it's hard to predict.

I've seen it split both:

1) Kingdom, Duchy, and 4 counties into a Kingdom, Duchy, and 1 County to the primary heir (3 titles) and 3 counties to the 2nd heir (3 titles).
2) Kingdom, Duchy, and 6 counties into a Kingdom, Duchy, 4 counties to the primary heir (6 titles) and 1 Duchy (Created on succession), and 2 counties to the 2nd heir (3 Titles).

TBF, I prefer the 2nd, I'd rather kingdom/duchy titles didn't count against how many counties I was going to get, but what I really want is just a straightforward succession system that I can understand and predict every time.

I think when it says even split, it doesn't mean equal amounts of land, but instead equal amount of titles, plus the splits follow de jure borders I noticed, so it isn't random, it follows de jure counties/duchies/kingdoms/empires, when handing out titles.

Reactions:
High partition works exactly like that. Then main heir gets the top title plus half the counties and the remaining heirs get what is left. This should be available to you by 1050, so if you start in 1066 you can reliably get it from the start and have the realm divide how you seem to want it to.

867 start is supposed to be a time of fractured realms and dynastic struggle, like it was in history. Only later can you consolidate into stable realms with a lot of power concentrated at the top.

You can also just play Byzantium and start out with primogeniture...

Cool. I would really like to start the game with gunpowder available for research. I mean, it should be up to the player, right?

Yes the "What if" should not be hard coded out. What everyone is missing here is all this hard coded must reach certain date to advance absolutely kills the ability of the player to do his "what if". No I'm not talking about starting with gunpowder but "what if" I had a realm like Rome in mind? Talk to any historian. When Rome fell it threw the world backwards 500 years. Or in other words Rome was 500 years ahead of the rest of the world with the republic, the sewers, the baths, aqueducts.

Crusaders Kings 3 is telling me Rome didn't happen. It's not possible. Even if I'm Enstein and my whole court is genius I can't do it until some preset absurd date is reached.

We've hard coded out your what if...a key element to the game for those of us from Crusader kings 2.

Well Rome did exist. ar·bi·trar·y (based on random choice or personal whim, rather than any reason or system.) dates to reach certain decisions and options is absurd and a·his·tor·i·cal (lacking historical perspective or context.)

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions:
My last game convinced me the system is really, really fun.

I was really really cautious in my luxembourg run. Tried to limit my children and played tall for a long time. I couldn't avoid a partition when my first character died, but a revolt of my brothers resulted in one of them being exiled (later I fought for him in the Crusade and his branch became counts of Acre) and the second became my biggest supporter until his death (100 years later, his branch is still really loyal to mine). This character died quickly but the third had no brothers, he became a kind of Midas (made so much money!), he grabbed the duchy of Julliers and developped all the properties in Aix-la-Chapelle). I was cautious to only have one child (and my daughter was in matri). When my fourth character had a second son, I usurped the duchy of lower Lorraine to keep Julliers and Luxembourg. Partition didn't reduced my fun, it forced me to be more brave, I fought my queen to replace her as the king of Lotharingia to settled the succession. When I won, I changed my capital to Aix and gave the lower Lorraine to my second son. My heir will loose Luxembourg but keep lot of counties and the juicy duchy of Julliers. Now I just fought and won the title of the king of France (only north of the Loire) and my heir will now inherit the two kingdoms, my second son being satisfied with the duchy of Luxembourg.

Sorry to write all this stuff :D , but just to show that when you embrace the succession mechanic, you try to find solutions that will result in really fun game. In CK2 I would have been in primo, and the game would be almost over, here I'm still on a edge, thinking about my succession all the time and I'm not sure to survive (because I don't have a lot of children) or to keep my big kingdom together : it's fun!

EDIT : conquered Aquitaine and I'm emperor.... just wanted to not loose my second duchy.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Well, Conquer Three Dutchies, create a Kingdom so your other children inherite the Dutchies. Grant them the Dutchies before the Succession happens and make sure your Mainheir is the most capable of all of them. This way I managed to avoid instant Civil War within the Kingdom of Wales. Sure they were pissed at me at first but I managed to calm them down with money and sway them.

Reactions:
I just lost my first run of this silly game; cause apparently if your son dies; you don´t continue playing as the 2nd son; oh noo you play our imbecile grandson instead.

Lets conquer Ireland a 2nd time then!

Btw ironman sucks.

Reactions:
I just lost my first run of this silly game; cause apparently if your son dies; you don´t continue playing as the 2nd son; oh noo you play our imbecile grandson instead.

Weird, I lost my first Son to Illness and my Second Son moved in Line so I could play on with him when I Died. If for some Reason your Grandson was you Mainheir after his Father died, this is something you can see an change easily.

It's easy to predict, just look at the succession tab, it will tell you clearly who gets what.
And then give titles to your secondary heirs, until everything you want goes to your primary heir.
You can revoke vassalage from your vassals with a claim to give it to a secondary heir if you are unable to conquer enough for them.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Which is (broadly) correct. Real monarchic systems favour your eldest son's whole line over your second son. If Charles and William die today, and the Queen dies tomorrow, the crown goes to George (William's son), not to Andrew (the Queen's second son).

• 1Like
Reactions: