• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Choorus

General
84 Badges
May 3, 2013
  • Hearts of Iron 4: Arms Against Tyranny
  • Imperator: Rome Deluxe Edition
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings III
  • For The Glory
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Victoria 2
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Darkest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Surviving Mars
  • Stellaris
  • BATTLETECH
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Shadowrun: Dragonfall
  • Shadowrun: Hong Kong
  • Pillars of Eternity
Hi,
I would like to know your opinions on CK3 before buying it, as I consider fellow HIP-players' views to be potentially closer to mine.
How do You like the game? How does it compare to CK2 with full HIP Frosty2/3? Is there anything game-breaking or on the contrary, something stellar worth mentioning?

Thanks in advance for sharing your thoughts on the matter!

• 4Like
Reactions:
Personally i very much like the opportunities it offers me as a modder, compared to CK2. Which is why i have already commited to moving SWMH to CK3.

How the game plays and how much need there will be for an EMF-like overhaul mod, we'll see i guess

• 14Like
  • 4Love
Reactions:
Well, they quite obviously "stole" half their game mechanics from HIP, and it's much much better off for it. I'd like event frequency to be turned way down, but other than that, it's bliss to play.

Reactions:
Needs EMF style balance, but it's a very solid basis I think.

Two main issues I ran into are fairly simple fixes:
  1. Army movement is a bit fast, meaning that it is far too easy to correct for being out of position.
  2. Levies regenerate very quickly, even while raised, meaning that losses are very easy to recover from.
Both of the above make it hard to get 'worn down' by multiple wars, meaning large nations are able to fully use their power. That's a balance issue in a couple of ways. But I see ck3 as a very solid game, and what problems it has are certainly correctable.

• 9Like
Reactions:
Looking forward to the HIP expansion into CK3! I just wish Paradox would hurry up with character customizer.

• 11Like
Reactions:
I honestly feel no reason to play CK2 any longer. lol this isn't reddit where you need to 'downvote' people for having an opinion different than you.

Last edited:
  • 14Like
Reactions:
I miss Imperial decadency, Seljuk and Byzantine Empire just blob every game. Coronation events (HIP before Holy Fury), and general balance of HIP.

• 10Like
Reactions:
I've struggled a bit with the interface so haven't really gotten into the game. I will try the tutorial one more time tonight though i wish there was one for ck2 players with only the new changes shown.

I bought CKIII. It's nice to watch with several cool news but lacks the depth that Ck2 gives after 8 years of development. Not to forget HIP that provides the ultimate gaming experience. Personally, I will continue to play CK2 with HIP. CK3 will have to wait until further development, which will probably take years.

• 6Like
Reactions:
CK3 has got massive potential, but it’s not there yet. They have balancing issues (e.g. army size being so small for everyone, the cost of bribing some random dude being 150 gold when you have an income of 2 gold as a count, forced gavelkind forever etc.) and missing features (inventory, great works, societies, naming your grandchildren, editing your COA etc.). Their portraits have a lot of potential, but feel a bit shallow to me for now because of the lack of many clothing options within a culture, though the barbershop is awesome. I feel like CK3 is a good game, but still far from the level of CK2. It needs more balancing, content and eye candy.

Also, I deeply miss the music.

• 6Like
Reactions:
Also, I deeply miss the music.
I actually like the new soundtrack. Long playing sessions are ear-friendly now.

What I miss the most are swmh cultural names and titles :)

Dont like the new 3d models tbh. They look too plastic and are overused. Like the council window has these gigantic full person portraits that are totally unnecessary.

• 3Like
Reactions:
It's fine. Not great not terrible compared to the current day CK2. With HIP though CK2 is boosted immensely. The 3D portraits aren't that really significant or as good as is usually talked about and there's a host of issues which need to be hammered out and tbh should've been hammered out before release from just small QoL stuff to really game-breaking stuff though ofc more of the former.

When the character designer gets here and if they fix some of the UI issues and heck the -debug_mode issue it'll probably iron out most leftover complaints for me though. Basically it's your bog-standard PDX release.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
I'm missing Pre-Holy Fury HIP :(

A lot of things like religion and culture seem to make much more sense now in terms of having a coherent structure. I like that the events, schemes, and hooks are all way more flavorful than the old plotting system. And the stress mechanic is way less stupid than randomly becoming stressed or depressed.

I'm really most underwhelmed by the map. I like that individual holdings are now just visible rather than hidden in a menu, but it really bugs me that things aren't actually in the "right" place. Like Tusculum is right near Rome, not outside of Latium entirely.

I haven't played that many games yet so I'm not sure what mechanism they've come up with for imperial systems, but I'm really interested to see if they engineered things in a less heavy-handed way than simply decadence or imperial decay so that the AI doesn't blob in an unhistorical fashion

• 2Like
Reactions:
The base game is great for a vanilla Paradox release. The biggest issue for me is the blobbing. The map always seems to descend into complete border gore. This was something that the EMF module of HIP fixed in CK2. I really hope we get something similar for CK3.

• 5Like
Reactions:
The base game is great for a vanilla Paradox release. The biggest issue for me is the blobbing. The map always seems to descend into complete border gore. This was something that the EMF module of HIP fixed in CK2. I really hope we get something similar for CK3.

This can be resolved with modding. The more game options mod lets you enable HIP like cooldowns to casus belli. You can further mod this by modifying the diplo range setting in the cb files to make the AI only atttack neighbors (you'd need to editt the above mod to do both).

• 3Like
Reactions:
Honestly that too the sheer amount of complete collapse for various countries is very bruh

• 1Like
Reactions: