• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Nikolai

Basileus Romaion
78 Badges
Jun 17, 2001
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Semper Fi
  • Sengoku
  • Supreme Ruler: Cold War
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • 500k Club
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • Europa Universalis III: Collection
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis: Rome Collectors Edition
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Victoria 3 Sign Up
  • Divine Wind
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Darkest Hour
  • Deus Vult
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • For The Glory
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Magicka
  • March of the Eagles
Norgesveldet 2.0 – A history of the Norwegian kings

1598972824133.png

Back in 2015, I wrote my first AAR in over a decade - the first of what has now five years later become no less than sixteen AARs. This first AAR was in CK2, and it was following the kings of Norway's rise (and almost fall at a couple of points) from petty kings to kings, to dual Emperors. With CK3's release, I've decided to try as my first game ever in CK3 to redo my Norgesveldet AAR.

It may go well, it may end in disaster, but I will tell it anyways. :D I will however reserve the right to change stuff and reload saves to make for a better story. I will not cheat to make myself look better though. :)

Additionally, this will be the story of the kings of Norway. If my heir becomes a duke or I lose the kingdom, I will change to the current king.

With that said, I will wait the last 20 minutes for the game to release, then I will start playing and writing. So watch this space. :D

• 7Like
  • 2Love
Reactions:
Well, congrats on making the first AAR of CK3.
This also makes me the first commentator here, it seems!

Will be following.

• 1Like
Reactions:

Will be following.
Congrats to us both, then! :D Glad to have you on board. :)

• 1Like
Reactions:

Will be following.
Curse you! :D

• 4Haha
  • 2Like
Reactions:
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
I stand cursed! :D

Yeah, this is a monarchy of commentAARtors and if anyone's going to usurp Stnylan, it's going to be me!

I can't believe this is the first ck3 aar. Ck2 came out when I was in primary school and now for its sucessor I've been on the forums for four years! This is so cool.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Eternal glory to King Haraldr of Norge!

In all seriousness, both 1066 and 876 are great starts for Norway - each time we're presented with a unique situation, where the sloghtest decision could change the fate of Scandinavia.

• 1Like
Reactions:
We off to England then?

Reactions:
Yeah, this is a monarchy of commentAARtors and if anyone's going to usurp Stnylan, it's going to be me!

I can't believe this is the first ck3 aar. Ck2 came out when I was in primary school and now for its sucessor I've been on the forums for four years! This is so cool.
Can't believe it either - nor that my original comeback to AAR writing was in 2015 (the predecessor to this one) and my first AAR was in 2003? 2004? :O
Glad I was able to get in on the ground floor for this historic moment. Awaiting the first chapter with interest, Nikolai :)
Glad to have you on board! :) I've played a couple of decades now and done some warring! :)
Eternal glory to King Haraldr of Norge!

In all seriousness, both 1066 and 876 are great starts for Norway - each time we're presented with a unique situation, where the sloghtest decision could change the fate of Scandinavia.
Glory! Glory! May Haraldr become king! :D
We off to England then?
Well, first I need to consolidate Norway. But who is to say some raiding can't be done? ;)
North Sea Empire time!
In due time, sure! :D

All: So I've come to 893 AD. The world is different place. I will write down the first chapter when Haraldr is dead. :) First try ended within a month, as my ruler got maimed on the battlefield and his starting heir is not of his dynasty. But second try went much better... :p

• 1Haha
Reactions:
All: So I've come to 893 AD. The world is different place. I will write down the first chapter when Haraldr is dead. :) First try ended within a month, as my ruler got maimed on the battlefield and his starting heir is not of his dynasty. But second try went much better... :p
Already, CK3 is showing its true colours.

• 1Haha
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Reactions:
Chapter I - Haraldr I Fairhair (867-911)
Haraldr I Fairhair (867-911)

iMhv7uL.png

Haraldr, the first of the Norwegian kings, is well known for any Norwegian citizen. When he set out to unite the Norwegian petty kingdoms, he famously swore to not cut his hair before he had succeeded in doing so. In 867 AD, he set out on a path that would change the Viking world forever.

9OzdBnu.png

The Petty Kingdom of Viken, which Haraldr controlled in 867 AD.

Family

Haraldr married only one woman, Rögnhildr. He was a lustful man, however and throughout his life he had at least six concubines. Most were conquest of his, but an intriguing tale tells a story of how one of them, Anna of Västgötaland, seduced the king and made him – for a time – consider exchanging his wife Rögnhildr with this younger woman. It was not to be, however, and Anna became merely a concubine – and one with more than one man too, if tales are to be believed. Nothing was ever proved at the time, though.

With his wife and concubines, Haraldr bore eleven children that we know of:

Halfdan

Þordis

Saga

Maer

Gandalfr

Anna

Haraldr

Hakon

Freyr

Guðrun

Helgi

The first of these children, Halfdan, would ultimately succeed him as king of Noregr – or Norgesveldet as the empire of medieval Norway is known as to modern day Norwegians.

His reign

The reign of king Haraldr was dominated by war. Almost no years of his 44-year long reign was entirely peaceful, as he almost always was on campaign. His early years was dominated by raiding, but most of his reign was spent expanding his realm, at the end encompassing most of modern day Norway, and more.

Between 867 AD and 891 AD, the realms of the Norwegian petty kings fell, one by one. First was neighboring Telemark, followed by parts of the western coast. Then fell much of the northern coast. When the southern jarldom of Agder fell in 877 AD, his focus was temporarily forced to the British Isles, as he inherited a holy war the southern English kingdom of Wessex waged for Agder’s territories in Devon.

Soon, he was back home, however, after beating the Wessex king decisively. In 883 AD, he finished the conquest of the western coast up to and including Hålogaland. Then, the interior of Norway fell. Not content with this, Haraldr invaded his southern Danish neighbors for control over the parts of Viken he did not reign over. That war raged for two years.

Then, on October 29th, 891 AD the world changed. From that day on, king Haraldr I «Fairhair» was no longer a petty king of Viken. From that day he was a mighty king in his own right. The Kingdom of Norway was created, and the world was never the same. With this, his until then tenuous hold on the land was confirmed by the Ting to be legitimate, and his hold of the area known as Norvegr secure. Laws were forged forever binding the kingdom to his dynasty, the title elected, but only men of his blood was considered legitimate.

But the conquests of Haraldr I «Fairhair» was far from over. Using his many children, alliances with small and big powers in the North were forged, most notable of these being the king of Sweden and the king of Gardariki. Encroaching on Swedish lands, Haraldr and his Swedish ally divided parts of modern day Sweden between them, at the same time co-operating and competing. In 897 AD the jarldom of Västergötaland fell to the Norwegians, at the same time as they saved the king of Sweden from a big rebellion threatening his reign.

It was during this time the first defeats met Haraldr. Heeding the call of his ally the jarl of the Isles in modern day Scotland, when this ally was attacked by the kingdom of Alba, Haraldr met on several defeats which decimated his army and severely wounded him, forcing him to retreat home to Norway and watch as his ally was attacked from all sides. In addition to Alba, the Irish, English and Frankish all joined in, reducing the Norse jarldom of the Isles to a shadow of their former selves.

Between 903 and 906 AD, the wounded king would engage in for him unusual endeavors, improving the infrastructure of his kingdom and resting. In 906 AD however, he could no longer sit still, and started another conquest spree. This spree would in the end kill him. First fell the jarldom of Småland, which was divided between Haraldr and his Swedish ally. Then fell the jarldom of Skåne. Then, the rich lands of the jarldom of Sjælland.

This last war would set Haraldr on a course towards death. Sjælland had been attacked by Wessex during the Norwegian invasion, and with Sjælland’s fall to Norway the war for Devon became a war between Norway and Wessex. The two realms were equal of strength, but when their armies met in Devon, Haraldr was again severely wounded, and – even worse – captured and forced to sign a humiliating treaty of surrender. Devon was lost, and soon Norway would lose her king too. As the army headed home with their wounded king in the mighty Viking longships, Haraldr I «Fairhair», king of Norway, went home to Valhall. On July 7th, 911 AD, the king was no more His son and heir Halfdan I was proclaimed king at the Ting a few weeks later, at age 42.

540j0S2.png

Norgesveldet at the time of Haraldr I «Fairhair»’s death in 911 AD.

Aftermath

Contemporary sources show just how revered this first king of Norway was. Praises were sung for him in all corners of the Viking world, and even his enemies had a certain amount of respect for the man who united the Norwegians.

The rule of his son Halfdan I, a tragic character in many ways, was met at the time with a mixture of dread and mistrust. The sources speak of worry for the future and unruly vassals.

To modern day Norwegians, Haraldr is seen as one of the most important Norwegians ever, uniting their county for the first time and laying the groundwork for the modern nation state.

• 3Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Catching a Nikolai AAR from the start instead of having to read many pages to catch up...this is a rare achievement! :p

• 1Like
Reactions:
He's certainly set himself up as a grand founder

Reactions:
That map is beautiful. Might get a bit distracting or annoyingly busy, but for now, it looks good for screenshots.

All the big empires collapsed hilariously quickly. Is that a common thing in the game or a setup for that start?

• 1Like
Reactions:
Any first impressions that jump out at you about the game?

Reactions:
Catching a Nikolai AAR from the start instead of having to read many pages to catch up...this is a rare achievement! :p
Hehe, well I certainly hope you'll keep up. :p
He's certainly set himself up as a grand founder
He did, if not as impressively as in my CK2 AAR. :) It seems to be harder this time around, CK3 is a different beast. :)
That map is beautiful. Might get a bit distracting or annoyingly busy, but for now, it looks good for screenshots.

All the big empires collapsed hilariously quickly. Is that a common thing in the game or a setup for that start?
I really like it. :) The border gore in CK3 seems to be...top notch. ;) First game, so no idea how common, but I'd wager it is?
King Haraldr lived the life of a Viking -- glory, plunder, and violence all the way to the end. Let's see if his heirs can keep his newly-minted kingdom together.
Let's! :eek:
Any first impressions that jump out at you about the game?
Well, first and foremost: I've been playing for close to seven hours, only pausing to get something to drink and go to the loo, it's 01.30 AM and I'm very tired. Yet I want to play more! :D It's really, really fun. :) Else, game is easy to understand for someone coming from CK2, very accessible even without doing the tutorial. Also, losing control of one's counties is harsh! :eek:

• 1Love
Reactions: