• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
As it stands, Crusader Kings II won't receive any major updates in the future.
We loved our past years developing the game with you, but the focus is currently on Crusader Kings III.
Of course, the Monarch's Journey will continue as part of the CKIII campaign, and we will be sharing more great news & content about CKIII in the meantime.
Thank you for your understanding and support!
No bugfixes either?

• 1Like
Reactions:
Ah, so I guess they'll just conveniently consider every remaining bug unnecessary to fix.
they didn't with Vic2 which got a patch years after its demise

Reactions:
they've said 'if necessary'
My assumption is "if necessary" is for if someone comes across something like a security vulnerability or the like (you'll notice that was the subject of the last patch/hotfix).

Not for things like "the Teutonic Knights turn into a Merchant Republic and start spawning a zillion characters," which is a bug that can happen in the current version and will thus likely never be fixed.

The Victoria II patch seems to have been something a couple of devs worked on in their spare time.

Okay, I'm just here complaining about one of the challenges in Monarch's Journey, specifically Sultana Arwe and the 'Long Live The Queen challenge'.

For those that don't know, you need to hold the kingdom of Yemen and all its De Jure provences for 100 years. 'No problem,' I thought. The problem arrived 18 years before the goalpost when De Jure shift started to happen and the 'all the De Jure provences' kept changing as the 'De Jure Yemen' kept getting larger and larger. And every time the 100 years kept getting reset.

I guess I should have seen this coming?

Okay, I'm just here complaining about one of the challenges in Monarch's Journey, specifically Sultana Arwe and the 'Long Live The Queen challenge'.

For those that don't know, you need to hold the kingdom of Yemen and all its De Jure provences for 100 years. 'No problem,' I thought. The problem arrived 18 years before the goalpost when De Jure shift started to happen and the 'all the De Jure provences' kept changing as the 'De Jure Yemen' kept getting larger and larger. And every time the 100 years kept getting reset.

Really? That sounds awful. Especially since that challenge is not worth it. 3 points for ~10h(for me) of gameplay at max speed. But why didn't you create other kingdom titles to block the de jure drift? To avoid the opinion malus or because you didn't own enough land in the other kingdoms? If you stayed muslim you shouldn't have had a problem keeping it all.

I changed my de jure drift to 300 years a while ago since I hated the late game de jure maps and figured that if a realm managed to hold onto a duchy for 300 years they could keep it.

Really? That sounds awful. Especially since that challenge is not worth it. 3 points for ~10h(for me) of gameplay at max speed. But why didn't you create other kingdom titles to block the de jure drift? To avoid the opinion malus or because you didn't own enough land in the other kingdoms? If you stayed muslim you shouldn't have had a problem keeping it all.

I changed my de jure drift to 300 years a while ago since I hated the late game de jure maps and figured that if a realm managed to hold onto a duchy for 300 years they could keep it.

Well, first of all, I'm not just doing the challenges to complete the challenges. This is actually my first time doing a serious Muslim campaign, and it has been fun regardless of the challenges. Keeping the Sunnis from swallowing me (a Shia) by none aggression pacts, taking advantage of revolts to pick up some land here and there. Watching with despair as the Shia Caliph got crushed out of existence, only to then start cackling madly when I realised this meant I could now create the title myself. Allying myself with the other major muslim powers (who aren't shia) to beat back the Christians. Also, since it was my first Muslim run, a whole host of events and mechanics I hadn't seen before.

And yes, I didn't create other kingdom titles because of the opinion malus. And I'm afraid of making an empire title since than Yenem would no longer be my primary tittle, and I wasn't sure it would still count. Also, I wanted to see just how ridiculously huge I could get while still 'only' being a king.

So, would making en empire title negate challenges of holding Yemen for 100 years?

• 1Like
Reactions:
Well, first of all, I'm not just doing the challenges to complete the challenges. This is actually my first time doing a serious Muslim campaign, and it has been fun regardless of the challenges. Keeping the Sunnis from swallowing me (a Shia) by none aggression pacts, taking advantage of revolts to pick up some land here and there. Watching with despair as the Shia Caliph got crushed out of existence, only to then start cackling madly when I realised this meant I could now create the title myself. Allying myself with the other major muslim powers (who aren't shia) to beat back the Christians. Also, since it was my first Muslim run, a whole host of events and mechanics I hadn't seen before.

And yes, I didn't create other kingdom titles because of the opinion malus. And I'm afraid of making an empire title since than Yenem would no longer be my primary tittle, and I wasn't sure it would still count. Also, I wanted to see just how ridiculously huge I could get while still 'only' being a king.

So, would making en empire title negate challenges of holding Yemen for 100 years?
It didn't for me. I created the empire of Yemen stretching from Mali to Oman when it was at 99/100 years and it still ticked the last year. As long as you hold the actual title it counts.

And every time the 100 years kept getting reset.

Ouch that sucks. I lost a single castle to the Hashashin halfway through and it took me ages to work out what was going on and then work out how to reclaim it without getting my entire dynasty assassinated. But when I finally got it back the count kept ticking rather than resetting.

Anyone knows for sure whether the challenges will remain after the CK3 release? I'm not really interested in the rewards, but I'd really like to complete all of them for the sake of completion but won't have time to do so before the release date. Unless maybe I take a full-time vacation and do nothing but play CK2, which probably isn't worth it.

They haven't said, but I doubt it. They did say that the bonuses will be available in some form eventually even if you don't complete the challenges.

That said, if you want to be efficient about it, there are a bunch of ones where you can go in, fairly quickly unlock a couple of objectives, then play as someone else to get more points. I'm not sure what the maximum theoretical number of points is at this point, but it's way over what you need to unlock the bonuses.

They haven't said, but I doubt it. They did say that the bonuses will be available in some form eventually even if you don't complete the challenges.

That said, if you want to be efficient about it, there are a bunch of ones where you can go in, fairly quickly unlock a couple of objectives, then play as someone else to get more points. I'm not sure what the maximum theoretical number of points is at this point, but it's way over what you need to unlock the bonuses.
Don't really care about the points - doubt I'll pick up CK3 at all any time soon if at all. I see the Monarch Challenges more as a sort of achievement runs where the goal is to fulfil the gold criteria on each of them. I at least intend to finish all CK2 achievements, and likely HOI4 and EU4 too, before contemplating picking up CK3 which means a time frame of some 4-10 years at least. Assuming they don't keep updating those games so I never get caught up fully...

I'm in the same position here. I love the concept of Monarch Journey and would really love that current "journeys" stay in CKII launcher after September 1st.
I understand that they don't bring new ones in CKII, of course, but keeping them (even without the rewards) would be great

I'm in the same position here. I love the concept of Monarch Journey and would really love that current "journeys" stay in CKII launcher after September 1st.
I understand that they don't bring new ones in CKII, of course, but keeping them (even without the rewards) would be great
If it's server side rather than client side I suppose they could keep doing more of them - it'll be difficult to run out of characters. The issue is whether it requires many game updates and whether they run out of cosmetic items they want to give away.

I'm OK if there are more challenges after the release of CKIII but I can imagine that no one is working/will be working on CKII anymore and also that PDX would prefer people to play the new game rather than the old one. So, they "could" keep doing more of them but I don't believe it's their interest.
But keeping the ones we currently have would really please me. It does not require anything from them but I concede that it prevents me to play CKIII (which I won't buy soon)

Hi. Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but I've been playing the Monarch's Journey challenges on two different devices and I've noticed that the total points and completed challenges are different on each device. Do I have to do all the challenges on the same device or is this a bug?

Hi. Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but I've been playing the Monarch's Journey challenges on two different devices and I've noticed that the total points and completed challenges are different on each device. Do I have to do all the challenges on the same device or is this a bug?

1) Check to see that you are properly logged into your Paradox account on both devices (and also that it is the same Paradox account :) )
2) Try quitting and restarting each device
3) Load up the game on both again and check

Hopefully this will resolve the issue. :)