• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Amechwarrior

General
9 Badges
Feb 23, 2018
  • BATTLETECH - Backer
  • BATTLETECH - Beta Backer
  • BATTLETECH - Initiate of the Order
  • BATTLETECH
  • BATTLETECH: Flashpoint
  • BATTLETECH: Season pass
  • BATTLETECH: Heavy Metal
Anyone see Friendly Fire setting working in 1.9.1?

I've tried to force a FF situation in skirmish and career and not been able to replicate it. Not sure if I'm just unlucky with the RNG or if it's actually broken. What I'm going is surrounding a enemy unit with my own and firing on the enemy with my last unit. I used to see friendly fire land with the mod/settings enabled, but haven't since returning to the game in 1.9.1.

In the combat game constants find the line and set to 2:

"StrayShotValidTargets": 2

To enable friendly fire.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I had it happen a few times during playing last night, but it was the opfor that it happened to. Checked my "StrayShotValidTargets" is set to 0.
Will set it to 1 then 2 then 3 and see if I can get FF on my own mechs.

• 2Like
Reactions:
I had it happen a few times during playing last night, but it was the opfor that it happened to. Checked my "StrayShotValidTargets" is set to 0.
Will set it to 1 then 2 then 3 and see if I can get FF on my own mechs.

Yea, 0 should be enemies only. 0, 1 and 2 should correspond to this snippet of code. "Enemies" is relative to the firing unit and not the "enemy faction" relative to the player.

Code:
{
    public enum StrayShotValidTargets
    {
        ENEMIES_ONLY,
        ENEMIES_AND_NEUTRAL,
        EVERYONE
    }
}

• 1Like
Reactions:
Have played more of my campaign with it set to 2 and noticed that lasers and missiles now pass through the FF mech, mine, alies or opfor, that they would normally hit. I don't know whether they would have had a high enough to hit % but the majority of the times it happened I had all 10's and above 80% hit chance, and the FF mech had no evasive pips to max 1 evasive pip.

I have no mods that alter FF, as far as I can see, because it was originally set to 0.

• 2Like
Reactions:
An update on Friendly Fire situation. It works fine. Only saw it happen 3 times out of roughly 25 battles, so it seems to be very low percentage chance of it happening. each battle went for on average about 12 rounds.

I just created a CombatGameConstants.json file and set "StrayShotValidTargets": 2 and it works.

• 1Like
Reactions:
An update on Friendly Fire situation. It works fine. Only saw it happen 3 times out of roughly 25 battles, so it seems to be very low percentage chance of it happening. each battle went for on average about 12 rounds.

I just created a CombatGameConstants.json file and set "StrayShotValidTargets": 2 and it works.

Stray shots his the OpFor much more often. I wonder, if like with criticals, there is a value that controls the weighting.

Stray shots hit the OpFor much more often. I wonder, if like with criticals, there is a value that controls the weighting.
I've been running "StrayShotValidTargets": 2 for several dozen missions now, specifically looking for friendly fire, and have yet to see a single case.
I even build a 70LRM Stalker to run in tandem with an Axeman/Grasshopper brawler pair, to test this.
This tag team duo of bangin' bros often often find themselves in a hail of falling fire, but so far they don't seem to be copping any of it.

I'm actually liking this combo for taking out heavily armored Clanner assaults (Running BEX btw). Even if the brawlers cant finish in one round, they strip off most of those huge slabs of armor, and the hail of 50% Crit LRMs finish the job nicely (not great for salvage, however).
It does seem a bit cheezy though, that I am sending my guys into a planned rain of death, secure in the belief that none of it is likely to touch em.
If FF is working, the odds must be exceedingly low.

I also can't say I have noticed significant difference with stray shots hitting the OpFor, but I sure am seeing lots of OpFor stray hits on my own guys.
In a recent battle against a Steel Viper MadCat, I counted 6-7 stray shots that hit one of my mechs in a single volley.