• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Slippery slope time! Arranging for the accident of Simpson and Edward dying tragic and drawn out deaths would be nice but would lead to someone like Churchill going too far with it and murdering all the enemies of the state.

(Guillotine > yacht accident anyway)

...shut up.

Then again, it is different if he really does commit suicide. Or is suitably convinced...

It is not easy to have that many characters and personalities in a room and still make the update clear and entertaining, yet you seem to do it effortlessly (given how fast you are pumping these out) and with consummate aplomb. Dazzling is the only word to describe it.

As you say a real milestone. For all the hedging in the final cabinet statement the die has been cast. It is now abdication or governmental resignation, because as Duff-Cooper should know (and everyone else does) there is no rabbit Walter Monckton can pull out a hat here.

Finally, it appears we will have to add a new AAR Idea to the list generated by this thread. This one is "Slippery Slope - A serious of tragic accidents" The tale of Churchill going to far with it and arranging accidents for all the enemies of the British state;

"Hitler is dead. So is Mussolini. Franco. FDR. Stafford Cripps. Today I settled all the Empire's business, so don't tell me you're innocent. Admit what you did." Churchill growled.

De Valera started sobbing and begging for mercy.

"One day, and that day will definitely come, I will call upon you to do a service for the Empire. But until that day, accept being Governor-General as my gift." Churchill sat back with his cigar and nodded.

• 1Haha
  • 1Love
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Finally, it appears we will have to add a new AAR Idea to the list generated by this thread.

Someone should compile a list. There's been quite a few.

This one is "Slippery Slope - A serious of tragic accidents

Or have it be Churchill desperate to murder everyone, only to be unable because there genuinely are tragic accidents at every turn. Eventually devoles into him desperately trying to end someone to say he helped restore the Empire.

Everyone in the High Church died in Mass when the roof caved in. Northern Irelane disappeared into the sea. FDR fell off a ship. Edward fell on a gun. Halifax burnt himself to death trying to fix his own cooker rather than pay for service. Chamberlain died attending to chamber business. Etc. etc.

• 1Love
Reactions:
Eventually devoles into him desperately trying to end someone to say he helped restore the Empire.

Mr Hitler, we shall duel in Parliament Square!

Somehow, Hitler agrees... and is struck by a car while crossing Westminster Bridge to get to the duel.

• 1Like
Reactions:
It actually ends up being a great benefit to GB because all the 'bad people' are gone, Churchill provided the impetus to try to restore the empire and then immeidatly got distracted on his quest, leaving Eden and increasingly Macmillan to do everything home and away.

It is not easy to have that many characters and personalities in a room and still make the update clear and entertaining, yet you seem to do it effortlessly (given how fast you are pumping these out) and with consummate aplomb. Dazzling is the only word to describe it.

As you say a real milestone. For all the hedging in the final cabinet statement the die has been cast. It is now abdication or governmental resignation, because as Duff-Cooper should know (and everyone else does) there is no rabbit Walter Monckton can pull out a hat here.

Finally, it appears we will have to add a new AAR Idea to the list generated by this thread. This one is "Slippery Slope - A serious of tragic accidents" The tale of Churchill going to far with it and arranging accidents for all the enemies of the British state;

"Hitler is dead. So is Mussolini. Franco. FDR. Stafford Cripps. Today I settled all the Empire's business, so don't tell me you're innocent. Admit what you did." Churchill growled.

De Valera started sobbing and begging for mercy.

"One day, and that day will definitely come, I will call upon you to do a service for the Empire. But until that day, accept being Governor-General as my gift." Churchill sat back with his cigar and nodded.
Big Godfather refs - nice! :D All we need is for Churchill/Corleone (cue one of those German “the big three are gangsters“ posters) to be supported by a devious Cabinet Secretary as Consigliere (cue Sir Humphrey) and Britain will murder and obfuscate its way to world hegemony, in one climactic scene. Because not only do all the murders need to be done simultaneously, as part of an insanely complicated plot. They need to be explained away by a glib and urbane mouthpiece.

”Your ex-Majesty, you broke my heart!”

”What the Prime Minister actually meant was ...”

All,

A mad day firing qs back on forth on a pathetically convoluted case. Part two will start tomorrow, but have half an hour to tidy up the links etc and to begin the cast list, blatantly aping @stnylan and others.

Night night.

Part Two - The Collapse of the Crown
1597179585040.png

Oh, God. He's actually going to do it. The mad man's going to bring down 1,000 years of tradition and constitutional development over Wallis bloody Simpson.

If you're going to risk this much to get the biscuit, at least have the biscuit be more than this.

That is a title that promises much excitement, and much hair-pulling by certain characters!

• 1Haha
Reactions:
A slip and Churchill becomes holy roman emperor, as he is when time stops in Dr who.

• 1Haha
Reactions:
Edward has already ruined himself, but this time he's gonna ruin the whole Empire his father had worked so hard to maintain, just over Wallis bloody Simpson.

I always imagine Edward to be like Lelouch from Code Geass. Seriously, you should watch Code Geass.

Alternate, more cheerful, Story Lines;

"The Collapse of the Crown" - Due to the Beefeaters refusing to co-operate King Edward is unable to get access to the Crown Jewels for his coronation and is forced to use a cardboard crown coated in gold foil. As Archbishop Lang refuses to crown him a junior lackey has to do it and they cock it up, their nervousness meaning they accidentally crush and collapse the cardboard crown. Unable to take the shame of the farce he has created, Edward runs away crying. This is taken as abdication and everyone agrees to never speak of it again.

"The Collapse of the Crown" - Due to excessive stress and rage King Edward's teeth grinding gets out of hand and the crowns of his teeth collapse. An unfortunate mix-up at the Royal Dentists means he is given psychotropic drugs not novocaine and so ends up on a psychedelic trip during the dental work. During this trip he meets many past monarchs of England and the United Kingdom, all of whom take it in turns to slap him about for being an idiot, except for Queen Victoria who headbuts him and then hoofs him in the gentlemen's area. Suitably chastened the King awakes a new man, dumps Simpson, and becomes the model Imperial monarch.

"The Collapse of the Crown" - While inspecting the newly built Ramsgate narrow gauge railway tunnel there is an unfortunate accident and the crown of the tunnel collapses, killing the King and the royal party. Everyone is secretly relieved the issue is solved, but mildly disappointed at such a deus ex machina resolution.

• 1Like
Reactions:
An unfortunate mix-up at the Royal Dentists means he is given psychotropic drugs not novocaine

Can certainly see that happening given the 'quality' of the Royal doctors throughout the years make the SeaDevil with one leg and one eye look competent. Active murder is not out of the range of some of them.

Suitably chastened the King awakes a new man, dumps Simpson, and becomes the model Imperial monarch.

So...for King and Country?

Oh god, I remember that one. Despite my best efforts.

Somebody that season really liked the big C. He wasn't too awful in either episode, aside from trying to gun down anyone who came through the door and believing the obvious liar when the Daleks want an alliance.

Would love an episode with the Dr and stalin being best buds and ringing each other when they have problems, since he's met every other leader of the war. Even saved hitler. Twice.

What about Edward not stepping down and forcing people to chose between parliment and George, and the actual current monarch?

Given the choice, it only takes a portion of the public, parliment or the dominions to say screw it, keep the crown but we'll be a republic now for the moanrchy to be in serious trouble.

Again, as many have said, I don't really mind the monarchy collapsing but it's a little sad it was brought down by one imbecile and their plaything

Yeah! The Republic of England is on the making!