• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Vicky 2 is one of my all time favorite Paradox games and I still play it 10 years on. V2 was released on my birthday and 10 years ago I was a staff writer for Icrontic.com and i covered all the Paradox games. I had the pleasure of meeting Johan at E3 in 2010 and posted a preview and a review of V2. I was very honored that in the Mega thread about V2 there were two articles that were posted with previews (Gamespot and mine.) One was a paid journalist and the other was me who flew out to E3 on my own dime and paid my own way the whole time. I did it out of love for Paradox and not to make any money. Getting review copies of the game was payment enough for me. It was a great time for me since I got review copies of the games instead of having to buy them but now that Icrontic has moved on from a media site to just an online community I am back to buying all the Paradox games (and I definitely still buy them all.) Thank you Johan and the Paradox team for providing me with hundreds of thousands of hours of entertainment over the years. Paradox is definitely my favorite gaming studio of all time and I've been playing your games from almost the beginning.

• 3Like
Reactions:
This was my first Paradox game and is still my absolute favorite. There is just no real comparison with any other game, Paradox or otherwise.
The only thing that can replace it is the badly overdue sequel.
It has to be made with Victoria fans specifically in mind though, not trying to make it appeal to the "general public" because a game like Victoria can either be what it needs to be, or it can fail miserably for trying to be more broadly appealing.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I'm looking forward to Victoria 3 retrospective!

• 11Like
Reactions:
Its so lovely how Paradox used to be, but i think that they still have some of that magic going on, i hope one day we get Vicky 3 even if its just a reskin of vicky 2 with some mechanics taken from the other games....i would preorder it at day one :p

Thanks for the retrospective, i love reading the story behind a great game, i would buy a book if you ever release one...

• 1Like
Reactions:
Such a big date. It should've been a remastr or at least enchanced edition of Vic2. Moder net code, some QoL things, like Observer mode and bug fixes of some core systems (like migration, that majority thinks is broken). Oh, dreams...

• 1Like
Reactions:
I remember buying my first two Paradox games on CD. They were EU3 Chronicles and Victoria 2 Gold Edition. The latter was supposed to include AHD but didn't. (Paradox had licensed the CD rights out to a third party, iirc.) The computer I had at the time couldn't play it but eventually I got a laptop that could. I played that Vanilla copy to death, yellow Prussia and all. Eventually I upgraded but I still have my original copy of it.

Like I've done before, I'll add my voice to everyone else calling for either a sequel or a remaster. While it does have some flaws it's a true classic of the genre and deserves better than abandonment. I think it would sell and help reinvigorate interest in the franchise.

• 9Like
Reactions:
I played most of the Modern Paradox Games before Vicky 2, but then I played Vicky 2. It is now my favorite Paradox Game, and Paradox is my favorite Game Studio. Honestly, I really like the idea of a Vicky 2 remaster, with better graphics and QoL improvements.

Reactions:
I just learned that it literally took longer for me to get half-way decent at this game than it took the devs to make it. I don't know how to feel about this information.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Need to start playing Vicy2 again. It has been a few months already since I finished my previous go. Hmmm... maybe I should do a Haiti campaign again, but this time attempting to unite the haitian ancestral lands of Africa under my total control :)

Paradox has QA now? One learns new things every day. Who knows, in another decade we may get an AI.

• 8Haha
  • 2Like
Reactions:
victoria 2 has been the best paradox game till the arrival of eu4

Reactions:
Very interesting read. Thanks for sharing this with the community. :)

So how did we start it all? In the spring of 2008 we were busy working on Hearts of Iron III, but we needed to start thinking about which game to make for the next year. Back then the decision was basically me and Fredrik Wester talking about options for a few minutes and then we decided which one. In April, Chris King mailed me the pitch for making a sequel to Victoria, which we quickly decided to try. If you click the spoiler here, you’ll be able to read the original document.

I always thought that Vic2 was made due to a fan survey, and that Fredrik Wester was so against the production of it, that he bet his hair on Vic2 never making a profit. Or is that just a misunderstanding on my part?

Reactions:
I always thought that Vic2 was made due to a fan survey, and that Fredrik Wester was so against the production of it, that he bet his hair on Vic2 never making a profit. Or is that just a misunderstanding on my part?
that was ck2. he lost his hair

Reactions:
There is no manual promotion, it is rather unrealistic to have the Kaiser walk into a farm and say you guys are now factory workers. Instead the population will promote itself based on things like education, local demand for goods, job opportunities. Although this will take tweaking to get it feeling right it will remove one of the greatest micro management chores in Victoria.
I wish that you guys still designed games with that mentality. The new games are unplayable to me because of how arcadey and tedious that are. It's hard to believe that after making Victoria 2 like this a decade ago, you went back to manual pop management for Imperator.

• 4Like
Reactions:
Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: