• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

EU4 - Development Diary - 4th of August 2020

Good morning! Welcome to another South-East Asian themed dev diary. This week we’re focusing on the Khmer Empire.

Khmer was once the dominant power in Mainland South-East Asia. Ruling from the mighty capital of Angkor, the empire encompassed most of modern Cambodia, Laos, and Thailand. Due to a combination of factors which may have included plagues, ecological issues, and the decision to change the state religion from Hinduism to Theravada Buddhism the empire fell into decline starting from the 14th Century. Thai and Lao powers broke away from the periphery of the kingdom and established their own domains. In 1431, the killing blow was struck by Ayutthaya with the sack of Angkor. The Khmer empire would never recover from this final defeat. The period following the sack of Angkor has been called the Dark Age of Cambodia, and neatly corresponds to the EU4 timeframe.

dd_dark_age.png

Like Majapahit, Khmer begins the game in a Disaster. The Dark Age of Cambodia is a lot less punishing than Majapahit’s situation in that there are no additional events that break up the country or spawn rebellions, but you need to contend with a hefty 25% increase to all power costs (as always, numbers presented in dev diaries are not final). Your priorities will have to be on consolidation and reconstruction rather than expansionism.

dd_missions.png

Khmer can end their decline and restore the glory of their old empire through their new missions tree. They’ll need to restore their old capital of Angkor, achieve some degree of religious unity, and improve the development of their more rural provinces. When this is achieved the disaster ends and Khmer can truly begin restoring its empire.

Some additional highlights:

• The Second Golden Age mission rewards -25% powers costs and -33% culture conversion cost for 20 years, compensating for the lost monarch points during the disaster.
  • The Enlightened Rule mission enacts the Chakravarti government reform discussed in previous dev diaries.
  • Around half of the mission tree is focused on military expansion, and like Ayutthaya’s mission tree these missions reward Subjugation CB’s against your targets.
  • The Restore the Empire mission increases your government rank to Empire.
  • The Invade Burma mission grants +0.5 Army Tradition for the rest of the game.
  • The Overseas Adventures mission has you invading Borneo and being rewarded with a permanent +1 Yearly Navy Tradition.

dd_privileges.png
dd_privileges_2.png

Above you can see four new estate privileges, with effects that should be fairly self-explanatory. Brahmins at Court functions essentially the same as the Brahmin privilege for Indian Muslims. This privilege as well as Advanced Irrigation Techniques are only available to specific nations, including Khmer, and are unlocked through their mission trees. Monastic Temples is available to all Buddhists and provides a new way to control your Karma, while Tropical City Planning is available to all countries in the Chinese or Indian tech groups and offsets the penalties for developing and colonizing in Tropical provinces.

That’s all for today! Next week we’ll take a look at the maritime Sultanates of Malacca, Brunei, and Aceh. And I think the week after that will be Vietnam. There's still plenty of content to show off, so make sure to catch up with weekly dev diaries.

• 94Like
  • 23Love
Reactions:
25% that's harsh. does that alo include tech?

Yes, in the current game this modifier is used sometimes, though not 25% and it is indeed ALL power costs, including tech, so incredibly harsh, very much a Dark Age

• 4Like
Reactions:
But yeah Africa definately needs more attention. At the very least, mission trees of varying sizes for Mali, Songhai, Benin, Kongo, Ethiopia, Imerina, Adal, and Kilwa.
Completly agree, and in case of west africa this needs a great rework, currently, some tags in west africa are just wrong and need be fixed after a good historical research, the main errors:
1- Massina does not exist in 1444, in real life this appear only after 1800.
2 - Mossi was never a unified kingdom, mossi peoples were divided in 5 major mossi kingdoms, some of them were rivals.
3- Timbuktu name is wrong, Timbuktu is the name of just one city, in game the Timbuktu tag is supposed to represent the tuareg tribes that dominated the region in 1444 not the city (in real life the city rebelled against the tuareg tribes in the timeframe of the game), this tag needs a new name.
3- Hausa region needs more provinces and more tags, only 3 hausa tags is not enough to represent the complexity of this region.
4- Fulo and Ashanti are important tags for the region but they appear only by event after 1500, the devs should be a bit ahistorical here and make both tags selectable in 1444, like will be made with Aceh Sultanate in SEA update.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Completly agree, and in case of west africa this needs a great rework, currently, some tags in west africa are just wrong and need be fixed after a good historical research, the main errors:
1- Massina does not exist in 1444, in real life this appear only after 1800.
2 - Mossi was never a unified kingdom, mossi peoples were divided in 5 major mossi kingdoms, some of them were rivals.
3- Timbuktu name is wrong, Timbuktu is the name of just one city, in game the Timbuktu tag is supposed to represent the tuareg tribes that dominated the region in 1444 not the city (in real life the city rebelled against the tuareg tribes in the timeframe of the game), this tag needs a new name.
3- Hausa region needs more provinces and more tags, only 3 hausa tags is not enough to represent the complexity of this region.
4- Fulo and Ashanti are important tags for the region but they appear only by event after 1500, the devs should be a bit ahistorical here and make both tags selectable in 1444, like will be made with Aceh Sultanate in SEA update.
Just make Fulo and Ashanti playable by event, like how pirates are

• 5Like
Reactions:
@neondt Please make EU4 content that references me. I have been waiting almost 20 years since I made this forum account.

• 12Haha
Reactions:
The missions look great once again, but those new privileges look a bit unbalanced because of their almost complete lack of negatives. e.g. surely granting special privileges to the elite of another religion would imply lowered absolutism? Likewise if the merchant guilds are made responsible for tropical cities & irrigation. I see that some are rewards for missions, but if the point is that it's a mission reward with no downside, why add the extra step of making it a privilege rather than just adding a country modifier?
I really feel that the Advanced Irrigation techniques should just be a modifier, it has no interaction with the estate system at all and there is no situation where you wouldn’t take it. Putting it in the estate system just means that you can forget to use it while providing no upside. With the Brahmins at Court there could be situations where you would want to revoke it so making it a privilege makes sense, but then I would still like it to have at least a tiny amount of estate influence.
Why is Advanced Irrigation Techniques an estate privilege? Considering it doesn't interact in any way with estates and is purely a bonus, it seems kinda unnecessary for it to be privilege instead of country modifier. Also doesn't feel like it has much to do with merchants.

The other estate privileges are fitting.
If advanced irrigation techniques has no effects on estates and is just a flat bonus when you meet the conditions, why implement it as an estate privilege rather than an event or triggered modifier? The estate privilege menu is a UX mess as it is, stuffing more bonuses in it will just make it worse.

Guys, there are a max nunmber of 4 privileges per estate. So it is not the same thing as a country modifier. There is a trade off, if you choose the privilege you can now take only other 3 instead of 4.

And of course you can lose your estates depending on waht you do in your game, like changing religion, turning into a Republic, etcetera

It probably is is not a big deal for most players in most cases. But it still is very different than a plain permanent modifier.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Now I have Holiday in Cambodia stuck in my head, possible name for an achievement maybe?

• 7Like
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
Africa really could use some attention. It's not in the scope for this update however, and since this is the last update I'll be working on for EU4 it'll be up to my replacement to make that happen.
Here's a suggestion that would add lots of flavor for minimum effort. Auto-extend your new "Tropical City Planning" privilege to all tags if current capital is in a Tropical province, or whose provinces are mostly Tropical, or [add conditions to taste]. That might also be a useful boost for tribes in central America.

(as you say this is your last update, I'll lob that into the Suggestions forum)

• 1Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
As a reminder, @neondt is a content designer, not a programmer, therefore cannot reply on the programming side of the patch.

This development diary is about content design. Remain on topic.

• 1Like
Reactions:
The capital of Kongo, Mbanza-Kongo, had a population between 30,000 and 100,000 (that upper number is probably an exaggeration; 60,000 is more likely) at its height in the 17th century.

Why would it be an exaggeration? Kongo lies on one of the better plots of land in Central Africa.

At the very least, mission trees of varying sizes for Mali, Songhai, Benin, Kongo, Ethiopia, Imerina, Adal, and Kilwa.

Don't forget Oyo! They should definitely be major players in that patch, given their government form, location, and influence both within Africa and across the Americas. (Vodun, Voodoo, Hoodoo, Candomblé, Santeria, etc.) Additionally, the Igbo should be present with Nri, at the very least.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
Still no sign of a Philippines rework :(
There won't be one. neondt said that the Philippines are a little out of scope for this update, so they are very far down on the priority list. Except for the inland sea changes, no map changes are planned. If there are changes to the Philippines, they will be very minor.

• 2Like
Reactions:
There won't be one. neondt said that the Philippines are a little out of scope for this update, so they are very far down on the priority list. Except for the inland sea changes, no map changes are planned. If there are changes to the Philippines, they will be very minor.
And here I was hoping it'll get some kind of love since it's part of SEA. Thanks for the info

• 1Like
Reactions:
i know that you said that you wouldnt be touching burma because its ok from the latest changes and i agree, but, there is always a but, there is only one country with mission tree, could you add some mission trees to ava, pegu or others or make something like a generic burma mission tree to re-unite the Pagan kingdom

Reactions:
And here I was hoping it'll get some kind of love since it's part of SEA. Thanks for the info
Assuming all the inland seas extend tp cover the Philippines, that alone is a nice piece of love as it has significant effects on the naval strategies (I.e. a 30 galley fleet can basically handle anything they are likely to encounter with a decent leader).

• 1Like
Reactions:
i know that you said that you wouldnt be touching burma because its ok from the latest changes and i agree, but, there is always a but, there is only one country with mission tree, could you add some mission trees to ava, pegu or others or make something like a generic burma mission tree to re-unite the Pagan kingdom
In the first Dev Diary, neondt said they wouldn’t be updating the map of Burma because it was updated in Dharma, he did not say that they wouldn’t touch Burma. In fact, a reply in the Majapahit Dev Diary specifically said that there would be content for Burma.

Reactions:
Nothing that allows the conversion on state religion to Islam like what happened under King Ramadhipati I?

i would love to show my gratitude for focusing on Khmer in the next update, but i would love to ask a favor that instead of Khmer could Cambodia or Kampuchea replace them as a starting nation and instead make "Khmer empire" or "Chakrphup Khmer" or "Anachak Khmer" a formidable nation instead. i bring up this point because his majesty Ponhea Yat also known as Barom Reachea II was the last king that hold the title of "Khmer Emperor" or the "Chakravartin" and the first "King of Cambodia" as well since He was forced to flee Yasodharapura in 1431 as indefensible against the Siamese, resettling first in Basan (Srey Santhor), and after that it became flooded, to Chaktomuk (now part of Phnom Penh). The funny things is that Srok Khmer or Kampuchea are the same but we just wanna separate the historical timeline between the Angkor periods and the Dark age periods that follow the demise of Angkor. Also when reform Khmer empire could the capital change from Angkor to Yasodharapura (if convert to Hinduism) and change the dynasty to "Varman" as well (again of the player convert back to Hinduism).
Sorry for being a nerd and history addict (ง ͡ʘ ͜ʖ ͡ʘ)ง my next goal is to look up if the Srivijaya
are going to be formidable or not!!

Me ( ͡◉ ͜ʖ ͡◉) ↚ NERD!!

Reactions: