Fix AI debt spiral / alliance issues. It's been broken for weeks, and it's gamebreaking.

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Some people do seem to be back, others aren't. I wouldn't expect a fix for a week or two, though, they aren't going to want to release something that fixes this problem only for it to cause a mess somewhere else.

And here lies the issue with strategy games that are being constantly updated by adding new stuff. The more new stuff you add, the more you have to go back and rework the old stuff.

• 4Like
Reactions:
Some people do seem to be back, others aren't. I wouldn't expect a fix for a week or two, though, they aren't going to want to release something that fixes this problem only for it to cause a mess somewhere else.

Thing is, I still haven't seen anyone say there will actually be a fix.

Meanwhile, Ive been using the workshop mod, BetterAI by Blablaxx. It works too. Plus there are a number of other issues it has sorted out.
I do wonder if PDX should'nt just pay the modders to incorporate some of their ideas/work.

For those interested,here is what it hopes to fix, including the AI Debt spiral nightmare.

So... what's the actual content?
Difficulty
I tweaked the bonuses for the difficulty. Currently only Hard is modded. "Hard" provides -1 unrest for AI and 10%/25%/50% forcelimit for AI for age of reformation/absolutism/revolution

This mod is supposed to enhance the behavior of the AI to actually invest in Missionaries, to build more buildings and to wage more wars with the goal of blobbing like a player would.

Buildings
Still, a nation is nothing without proper building structure. Therefore the building importance got tweaked a bit to prefer manufactories, workshops, etc. and to give less importance to docks and similar.

Debt spiral fix!
Ahh the famous debt spiral we got used to from the 1.30.X patch. This mod will mostly fix it! For real. Due to nations' focus on debt payback and overall creating a vastly more robust nation you will see the AI bouncing back from various situations or just being able to support insane amounts of troops. Example: Average ottomans supporting 300k+ troops with 250+ income in 1600. Without Quantity ideas picked. Yes. Additional fancy bonus is the AI declaring bankruptcy (if necessary) right after a hefty war in a safely manner to prevent paying back debt endlessly. Not my implementation, but it is more pronounced due to this mod!

Fort upgrades
With this mod, the AI is capable of upgrading their forts more consistently when higher military techs are reached. No more level 2 forts in 1700 russia. Of course the AI pays for it aswell, just like the player does.

AI mana spending!
This current revision also contains improvements to AI mana spending, meaning it will not waste mana when reaching cap but instead try to invest into provinces. This should be in the basegame!

Devpushing Institutions
The AI now is also capable of devpushing institutions in the best provinces it can find, meaning either capital, gold provinces or just provinces with good trade goods. Of course the AI can't do it for free, meaning it spends 2k mana like the player does.

AI army behavior
There are modifications done for the defines which make the AI more aggressive, but also cooperative in case they are sieged down. Plenty of things work together to create a more robust AI at wartime.

Estate behavior
The AI will resort to selling land to estates more often as it is just such a nice income source. Also they will not be super cautious and instead actually USE their estates for points etc. and amass up to 4 privileges at the same time per estate. Fancy and helpful. AI still gathers more crown land when absolutism+ hits. (Though let's be honest, the AI has no idea on how to increase absolutism. Not before, not now.)

Additionally, the AI is more cautious when revoking estate land and it will not provoke any rebellions. In this mod, you won't see the vanilla rebel spam in 1444.

This mod will not do miracles. It will just try to use the tools we have on our disposale.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
There was a tweet posted a week or so ago indicating that they're aware of the issue and plan to fix it next patch. So, yeah, it's definitely on the list.

The problem with that is that they tweeted that they were aware and would fix it. You know, exactly the same thing that we've been hearing for the last, what, four years? At least two.

Vague promises of fixing and improving that don't ever come to fruition. Certainly some things are improved but there are still many well documented issues that are yet to be addressed, or even acknowledged, and the new patch did a wonderful job of expanding this list.

• 1Like
Reactions:
There was a tweet posted a week or so ago indicating that they're aware of the issue and plan to fix it next patch. So, yeah, it's definitely on the list.

Not much good if you don't use Twatter. But thanks for the info.

Reactions:
i can pretty much summarize this topic with a

"Are we there yet?"
NO!
how about now?
NO!
Now?
NOOOOO! PLEASE BE SILENT!
Hey PdX!
What?
Are we there yet?
aaaaaaahhhhhh

:D ;) :D

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
so its very likely they will be back only next week or two.

i don´t know how corona is affecting vacations and work schedules in sweden and they also needed to be added to the math.

Reactions:
I have a question that you'll probably be able to answer.
In my last run, i broke the Ottoman again and again to see at what point they could be …. broke. They went up to 20k debt, but still fought respectably. However, they suddenly have no debt anymore, and i had no event telling me of Bankruptcy declare.

How could i check what happened?

Reactions:
I have a question that you'll probably be able to answer.
In my last run, i broke the Ottoman again and again to see at what point they could be …. broke. They went up to 20k debt, but still fought respectably. However, they suddenly have no debt anymore, and i had no event telling me of Bankruptcy declare.

How could i check what happened?

Go to the ledger and hover over any of the modifiers mentioned in this page. If there is a negative modifier called bankruptcy then you know they have declared it less than 5 years ago. https://eu4.paradoxwikis.com/Econom... interest,loan to manually declare bankruptcy.

Alternatively, check the country's adm score on the ledge. Loans and bankruptcy subtract points from it.

Lastly, you can adjust your message settings to be notified when someone declared bankruptcy.

Now, why they fight so well despite having debt? Without having more details I'd say that they had high revanchism and that was keeping them afloat for a while.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Sweden literally doesn't care about the corona virus
That's not true and essentially politically motivated rhetoric at this point. Sweden had a different (wrong) covid strategy than most of the world but that does not mean they are ignoring it.

Reactions:
The ledger should have an entry saying how much debt a country is in and if it has ever declared bankruptcy. If there is one and I've missed it, id be happy if someone told me where it is !

Been absent for such a long time now, and I am really surprised (and happy) that people are still posting here to make these issues visible!

This thread needs to stay here until the game is playable again. Because it currently isn't without mods.

• 1Like
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
As of today it's been exactly 8 weeks since release and the issues raised in this post haven't even been acknowledged by the devs...
Thanks paradox, great customer service.

Thankfully, it was acknowledged two weeks ago, but I agree that their communication's been lacking. Even just an estimate of when the next patch is likely to be released would be nice.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Status
Not open for further replies.