• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I don't see why not, but setting up the networking correctly is highly specific to your operating system and requires some expertise. If you're running Linux, maybe I can help :)

i am running in windows 10, I tried a lot of things and none worked

If you try to connect two computers without a switch/hub/router in between you'll need a crossover cable, normal ethernet cable won't do it.
(In theory you can create an crossover cable simply by reversing some strings in the ethernet cable at one end. But I guess it's easier to just buy one)

Granted, the last time I used a crossover was in the Windows XP era but back then it worked out of the box. Just literally plug and play. Or was there some IP adress fiddling involved? I can't really remember.

If you do have a router that thing can manage all it for you - including IP adress assignment. If you just use a hub or switch you may have to make this manually.