What is your opinion on the map expansion?

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

daawod.messymess

Private
41 Badges
Jul 30, 2020
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Steel Division: Normandy 44
  • Knights of Honor
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Steel Division: Normand 44 - Second Wave
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Steel Division: Normandy 44 -  Back to Hell
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Magicka: Wizard Wars Founder Wizard
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
Good day to all. This is my first time on this forum and I have a question for the developers. The game looks amazing, I understand that I will sit in this masterpiece for a long time. And the actual question. Can we expect to expand the map all the way to Japan? Just imagine it. Your game will become a real collection of cultures and religions. The replay value will be the highest. I understand that it may take a long time, but this is my dream. What do you guys think about this?

• 20Love
  • 11Like
Reactions:
Good day to all. This is my first time on this forum and I have a question for the developers. The game looks amazing, I understand that I will sit in this masterpiece for a long time. And the actual question. Can we expect to expand the map all the way to Japan? Just imagine it. Your game will become a real collection of cultures and religions. The replay value will be the highest. I understand that it may take a long time, but this is my dream. What do you guys think about this?

Let us not get ahead of ourselves.
Firstly I want to see how the game fares performance wise, then, we can talk about map expansions.
As cool as it would be to have CK3 span over the whole globe, I still can clearly remember the map expansion in RoI. That's a nightmare I don't want to live through again.
Besides, there'd be gameplay problems too. So, at the moment, it's a no from me.

Reactions:
It would be amazing but if there are no mechanics for the Byzantines how they would represent China for example? Its soemthing i would love to see but if it must be the same as playing England...

• 7Like
Reactions:
It would be amazing but if there are no mechanics for the Byzantines how they would represent China for example? Its soemthing i would love to see but if it must be the same as playing England...
There probably will be a well done Byzantine Empire before expanding the map further, as far as I could tell from developer replies and DDs the ERE rework is basically already planned.

• 3Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Only if they have a very solid idea on how to handle both China and Japan together with it working well with all the other regions so it doesn't feel like two separate games.

Reactions:
I think the map is too big already. :rolleyes:

West coast Ireland should be enough.

Personally I would love to have all of Euroasia and Africa, my e one they the Americas. But at first we should wait how CK3 turns out with the areas it already covers with the different political entities, systems and religions.

But also performance is an Issue.

• 4Haha
Reactions:
Let us not get ahead of ourselves.
Firstly I want to see how the game fares performance wise, then, we can talk about map expansions.
As cool as it would be to have CK3 span over the whole globe, I still can clearly remember the map expansion in RoI. That's a nightmare I don't want to live through again.
Besides, there'd be gameplay problems too. So, at the moment, it's a no from me.
Everything will be fine, don't worry. Just looking at the footage, my roof is going

I think the map is too big already. :rolleyes:
I think there are no limits for these guys

• 3Like
Reactions:
Tibet already has more counties than HRE. Adding SE Asia would essentially doubling the size of the game. And I'd argue 95% of people's playthroughs wouldn't even interact with both sides of the map.

I'd rather Paradox do a CK-esque spinoff to properly portray the region

• 1Like
Reactions:
Just because I can...
Playable Native Americans. Discuss.

• 4Like
Reactions:
Personally I would love to have all of Euroasia and Africa, my e one they the Americas. But at first we should wait how CK3 turns out with the areas it already covers with the different political entities, systems and religions.

But also performance is an Issue.
I suggested Japan because if you look, it is not very far from China. And the possibility of adding it becomes real. Plus a very interesting country, new interesting perks, religions, cultures, ways of government, and so on. But in general, I would not mind if the developers could expand the map to the maximum (fantasy). This game only plays into the scale

Tibet already has more counties than HRE. Adding SE Asia would essentially doubling the size of the game. And I'd argue 95% of people's playthroughs wouldn't even interact with both sides of the map.

I'd rather Paradox do a CK-esque spinoff to properly portray the region
I partially agree with you. But of course I would like to integrate Asia into the main game, and not into a new part

Just because I can...
Why not? The main thing is that they have a place in historical sections. And the most important condition for developers to have an opportunity. I already pre-ordered

Reactions:
I think it is inevitable that they're going to add China at some point. But for them to do the region justice, we need full-sized DLC about imperial mechanics, nomads, and thalassocracy. China can be only the fourth major DLC, and then we're in the year 2025. Mark my words.

• 4Like
Reactions:
If the game has good optimization it can be done, but only if they also add unique mechanics for totally different cultures.

It would be sad if they go and add map extensions while said cutures dont have any uniqueness tied to them.

Reactions:
I think it is inevitable that they're going to add China at some point. But for them to do the region justice, we need full-sized DLC about imperial mechanics, nomads, and thalassocracy. China can be only the fourth major DLC, and then we're in the year 2025. Mark my words.
2025 is so long. I hope everything will be faster

If the game has good optimization it can be done, but only if they also add unique mechanics for totally different cultures.

It would be sad if they go and add map extensions while said cutures dont have any uniqueness tied to them.
You read minds. This is the biggest cause for concern. But thank God in the history of mankind there is never a rest.

Reactions:
Performance is an issue for everyone, not just folks with "potatoes." Every province added in CK comes with additional characters, all of whom interact with every other character within diplomatic range (if only to check what their opinion of that character is, and whether they want to scheme against them this month). That's a noticeable performance hit. It probably won't cause the game to fail to run except on very old computers, but it will cause some degree of slowdown on all computers. And no, "optimization" is not the answer. There's no magical "optimization" dial that the devs can just turn and make the game go back to running as fast as it used to. "Optimization" is extremely time and labor intensive (you are going through all the code, trying to find minor tweaks that can be done slightly more efficiently) and not costless in terms of effects on the game (one of the easiest ways to optimize is to cut things out, but that's a loss of detail in other areas, no matter how minor: barons in CK2 used to do all sorts of stuff on their own, but after RoI one of the optimization changes to balance out the increased lag essentially cut out all of their individual activities so now they just sit there, marry generated wives after they inherit, and have exactly 2 children).

And as noted, 99% of playthroughs, China won't matter (assuming they don't make it ahistorically powerful and expansionist, which admittedly past Paradox experience with blobs suggests they probably will). Look at India, for a comparison (a region that honestly had much more interaction with the pre-ROI CK area than non-Mongol China did): unless you start in Persia/India/Tibet, you generally don't care what happens in India. It just sits there and does it's own thing, not affecting Europe, Africa or most of in-game Asia at all. China will be the same way (unless they screw up and make it super-blobby, which they probably will). eating up processor cycles without being something that most players notice (because most players will continue the CK approach of generally playing in Europe or one of the areas bordering Europe for most of their games).

More is not necessarily better. Better is better; it may involve more, but it very frequently involves less, but more focused.

Reactions:
Performance is an issue for everyone, not just folks with "potatoes." Every province added in CK comes with additional characters, all of whom interact with every other character within diplomatic range (if only to check what their opinion of that character is, and whether they want to scheme against them this month). That's a noticeable performance hit. It probably won't cause the game to fail to run except on very old computers, but it will cause some degree of slowdown on all computers. And no, "optimization" is not the answer. There's no magical "optimization" dial that the devs can just turn and make the game go back to running as fast as it used to. "Optimization" is extremely time and labor intensive (you are going through all the code, trying to find minor tweaks that can be done slightly more efficiently) and not costless in terms of effects on the game (one of the easiest ways to optimize is to cut things out, but that's a loss of detail in other areas, no matter how minor: barons in CK2 used to do all sorts of stuff on their own, but after RoI one of the optimization changes to balance out the increased lag essentially cut out all of their individual activities so now they just sit there, marry generated wives after they inherit, and have exactly 2 children).

And as noted, 99% of playthroughs, China won't matter (assuming they don't make it ahistorically powerful and expansionist, which admittedly past Paradox experience with blobs suggests they probably will). Look at India, for a comparison (a region that honestly had much more interaction with the pre-ROI CK area than non-Mongol China did): unless you start in Persia/India/Tibet, you generally don't care what happens in India. It just sits there and does it's own thing, not affecting Europe, Africa or most of in-game Asia at all. China will be the same way (unless they screw up and make it super-blobby, which they probably will). eating up processor cycles without being something that most players notice (because most players will continue the CK approach of generally playing in Europe or one of the areas bordering Europe for most of their games).

More is not necessarily better. Better is better; it may involve more, but it very frequently involves less, but more focused.
I perfectly understand what you are talking about. And I agree with you on some points. BUT. Our world is immense, you cannot be in Japan and influence France, as well as be in England and destroy China. I mean, this is absolutely normal. Considering how huge our world is.

Reactions:
If we get playable adventurers expansion, I think character creator should allow to make a Beothuk conqueror in Greenland and a Tlingit conqueror in Kamchatka. (Given the map is expanded to these territories.) American landmass per se would be pointless, we'd end up with crusades for Mississippi.

Reactions:
I perfectly understand what you are talking about. And I agree with you on some points. BUT. Our world is immense, you cannot be in Japan and influence France, as well as be in England and destroy China. I mean, this is absolutely normal. Considering how huge our world is.

We had diplo range in Ck2 and it worked perfectly fine, you should never encounter Indian culture people under normal circumstances if you are playing in Morocco for example.

Reactions: