EUIV - Quick Questions / Quick Answers

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I'm playing as the emperor, was in a war against Burgundy when their inheritance event fired. They instantly left the war like nothing happened, and a 15 years long truce came into effect.

According to the tooltip, my favored choice in the Burgundian Inheritance crisis will result in me automatically attacking them with the "Restoration of Union" CB.

The truce still counts normally, and this will ruin my stability, right?

As Byzantium, Naples supported the independence of my two vassals, Serbia and Crete.
Crete declared war on me as the leader, Naples and Serbia joined.
My vassals no longer appear in the vassal menu.

Online research told me that ending the war in victory on terms that do NOT include "independence" your former vassals become your vassals again. (example, white peace; or example, I take land from Serbia and then peace them out separately, Serbia will by default become my vassal again)

I'm worried this might be old information.

Sue for peace with Crete, the war leader, has the option to make them "concede defeat" but I have no idea what that actually does. Will I only get my vassals back if I make peace with the war leader to concede defeat? Should I do the whole deal through them or can I separate peace the others, Serbia and Naples?

Also, I assume I can separate peace Naples and take some land without messing up my vassal situation.

This was a lot of questions but I want to ask first before potentially ruining my game.

Thanks in advance.

You can seperate peace. White peace or better on the warleader will make all declaring nations your vassal again.. with -100% LD because "lost independence war"

• 1Like
Reactions:
I'm Burgundy. I have colonies in the Caribbean with burgundy culture - (13 and 13 dev) and castilian culture (8 and 9 dev core and 8 and 13 no core prov). When my 5 colony grows to 1000 population (9dev) i have colonial nations with primary CASTILIAN culture. If i develop 1 prov to 30 dev with burg culture, my new colonial nations still have primary castilian culture.
WHY???

Last edited:
I'm Burgundy. I have colonies in the Caribbean with burgundy culture - (13 and 13 dev) and castilian culture (8 and 9 dev core and 8 and 13 no core prov). When my 5 colony grows to 1000 population (9dev) i have colonial nations with primary CASTILIAN culture. If i develop 1 prov to 30 dev with burg culture, my new colonial nations still have primary castilian culture.
WHY???
Colonial nation takes its culture from the capital and the capital is the 5th province colonized.

Reactions:
This was a lot of questions but I want to ask first before potentially ruining my game.

Sounds like you are in ironman. In situations like this, where the consequences of your actions are instant but also non-obvious, I don't think that it's at all controversial to back up your save file and restore it if the game interprets your actions in a different way than what you expected. (IE: Quicksave; alt-tab; locate the save file on disk; copy it somewhere else. If something unexpected happens, you can restore by exiting EU4 and copying the save file back to the original location with exactly the same filename.)

• 2Like
Reactions:
Colonial nation takes its culture from the capital and the capital is the 5th province colonized.
Eh... No...
2020-07-25_11-53-54.png

2020-07-25_11-54-26.png

How i can form colonial nation with burgundy culture? not castilian culture
Make sure you have Burgundian culture in the province that will be the colonial nation's capital at creation. Changing capital after CN forms doesn't change their primary culture.
As Byzantium, Naples supported the independence of my two vassals, Serbia and Crete.
Crete declared war on me as the leader, Naples and Serbia joined.
My vassals no longer appear in the vassal menu.

Online research told me that ending the war in victory on terms that do NOT include "independence" your former vassals become your vassals again. (example, white peace; or example, I take land from Serbia and then peace them out separately, Serbia will by default become my vassal again)

I'm worried this might be old information.

Sue for peace with Crete, the war leader, has the option to make them "concede defeat" but I have no idea what that actually does. Will I only get my vassals back if I make peace with the war leader to concede defeat? Should I do the whole deal through them or can I separate peace the others, Serbia and Naples?

Also, I assume I can separate peace Naples and take some land without messing up my vassal situation.

Thanks in advance.
Sounds like you are in ironman. In situations like this, where the consequences of your actions are instant but also non-obvious, I don't think that it's at all controversial to back up your save file and restore it if the game interprets your actions in a different way than what you expected. (IE: Quicksave; alt-tab; locate the save file on disk; copy it somewhere else. If something unexpected happens, you can restore by exiting EU4 and copying the save file back to the original location with exactly the same filename.)
To add to jonjowett said, don't play ironman until you can safely predict the outcome of most of your actions. I say most, because even after years of playing, I sometimes find myself thinking: "that wasn't supposed to happen".

Reactions:
If I annex someone in a war, do their tributaries transfer to me?

Stupid question.

In the mercenaries panel, what is this number?
I thought it is army maintenance, but the ammount is slide different from the one in the pop-up window.

View attachment 603376
There's nothing else other then maintenance and hiring fee. It might be bugged though, as pretty much everything in the 1.30 update.

Reactions:
I thought the bonuses of Absolutism is additive, but when I'm playing Oirat > Yuan (while staying horde) the number of provinces I can take in one war is clearly less when Absolutism hits. I was butchering Ottomans and I already prepared the peace deal earlier in the war, but Age of Absolutism hits in the middle and then iirc peace cost became about 130% and I had to alter my peace deal to take less land. Anybody knows why?
Fyi, I also already took Diplo early for the war score discount. I'm guessing the problem is the Horde government, since I never stayed as Horde until this late in the game and this is the first time I see something like this.

I thought the bonuses of Absolutism is additive, but when I'm playing Oirat > Yuan (while staying horde) the number of provinces I can take in one war is clearly less when Absolutism hits. I was butchering Ottomans and I already prepared the peace deal earlier in the war, but Age of Absolutism hits in the middle and then iirc peace cost became about 130% and I had to alter my peace deal to take less land. Anybody knows why?
Fyi, I also already took Diplo early for the war score discount. I'm guessing the problem is the Horde government, since I never stayed as Horde until this late in the game and this is the first time I see something like this.
What religion are you? If you're not sunni, it might be the religious war age perk that has ended.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions:
Did you have the age ability that lowers the warscore cost vs other religions during the age of reformation? That would explain why you can take less land in the age of absolutism. And if you don't have any absolutism yet, it can't have a positive effect.

• 1Like
Reactions: