Building a new PC. Want to future proof it a little bit for CK3, EU5, VICKY 3, and TW:WARHAMMER 3

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Mafiabrett

Major
26 Badges
May 9, 2010
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • 500k Club
  • Victoria 2
  • Europa Universalis IV
My current PC died recently due to either a motherboard or power supply failure..

Here's my current PC Specs:
i7-3820 Quad Core CPU @ 3.60GHz to 3.80GHz
Nvidia GeForce GTX 555 1024MB
8GB RAM
Windows 7 64bit
Motherboard: Product: 07JNH0
Harddrive: 1000GB ATA SST000DM003-9YN1 SCSI

It ran mostly fine for CK2 and EU4, but would bottleneck playing mods like EU4-MEIOU and run very close to max CPU for CK2-HIP. It also wasn't able to run TW games after Rome 2 due to my GPU I believe.

This is what I currently have built but im still in process of changing things to make sure im getting good efficiency between CPU/GPU/Memory and could use some advice as im not anywhere close to being a expert.

*POSSIBLE NEW PC SPECS*
i7-10700K (8 Core, 16 Threads, 16MB Cache, 3.8GHz to 5.1GHz)
Nvidia GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER 8GB GDDR6
16GB Dual Channel DDR4 RAM @3200MHz
512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD
Windows 10 64bit

Here's some of my decision making I used with little knowledge I know about PC specs..

When I was looking at CPUs these were my choices from each i5, i7, and i9. I figured i9 10th Gen might be too much of a overkill with 10 cores. And that i5 10th Gen 6 cores would be sufficient but not enough future proof for future Paradox games. That's why I picked the 8 core i7 10th Gen.

• i5-10600KF (6 Core, 12MB Cache, 4.1GHz to 4.8GHz)
  • i7-10700K (8 Core, 16MB Cache, 3.8GHz to 5.1GHz)
  • i9-10900K (10 Core, 20MB Cache, 3.7GHz to 5.3GHz)

When looking at GPU I was torn between these 3 cards. I was looking at the system specs for HOI4, Stellaris, Imperator, and TW: Warhammer 2 and figured both the 2070S and 2080S might be little too much overkill. That's why I picked the 2060S

• Nvidia GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER 8GB GDDR6
  • Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8GB GDDR6
  • Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER 8GB GDDR6

When looking at memory I figured very few games even use more than 8GB, so that 8x2GB (16GB) would be perfect for both current and future proof without spending hundreds of dollars. The main choice was between the speeds of the RAM Memory.. Whether to choose 2933MHz vs 3200MHz.. For now i decided on the 3200MHz unless told otherwise. Figured faster RAM = better RAM.

Finally for Harddrive I figure a 500GB single drive SSD would be enough for what I plan to do. I rarely went over 500GB on my old 1000GB HDD. I only ever plan to play Paradox games and the occasional Total War.. I dont see myself buying big big games like 100gb Call of Duty ever.

TDLR:
Overall im curious to see how much of a improvement im going to see between my 8 year old PC vs the new one im trying to build. Would like to hear your thoughts if I made any bad choices or if I should change things to run a more efficient PC for CK3/Warhammer 3

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
EDIT: Ok how I missed that your PC died I have no idea, I have a special talent specifically designed to miss the obvious right in front of me. What I said below still applies however :D

EDIT#2: Here's my recommendations (I struggled whether or not I should give them but here it goes.)

If you're gaming on 1080p >60Hz monitor try to aim for this system:
- AMD Ryzen 5 3600 (6C/12T), it will be more than enough for 1080p for the forseeable future - if you need something better wait until Ryzen 4000 is out and sell your R5 3600 online, it will sell since it's a really good chip. Depending on how Ryzen 4000 series performs, I think the best gaming money/performance will proably be in the Ryzen 4600 or 4700 range.
- 32Gb of RAM (explenation is below why 32 instead of 16Gb), 3600MHz and not a single MHz below that. Ryzen chips run optimally at this speed (please don't force me to go into why, it's a long story and I've already written a wall of text.
- RTX 2060S or 2070S, SELL them quickly before RTX 3000 comes out - Nvidia has already discontinued the Turing-architecture (RTX 2000 series) from production, these will drop in price probably pretty quickly when the far superior 3000 series comes out. if they dont and RTX 3000 is disappointing, then the 2070S cards will last you a decent while.
- Motherboard: Aorus X570 Elite from Gigabyte. Hands down the best buck for performance in the x570 range, lots of features and connectivity, decent price and sadly the b550 lineup does a lot of compromises in this price range compared to this board. I even think Buildzoid from Actually Hardcore Overclocking (works with Gamers Nexus) did a review on X570 boards and said that this one's the hands down best one to get (price/performance).

If you want to go for Intel system as a baseline:
- Aorus z490 Ultra
- Intel i5 10600k, do a quick overclock and you can get i9 10900k performance in gaming at 1080p, nevermind higher resoultions since CPU matters less there.
- GPU and RAM recommendations the same.

The AMD-system will give you an upgrade path - will cost you *far* less than a new Intel system and will have better features. In gaming you won't see the difference - and it will run cooler/quieter (Intel runs hotter). AMDs x570 platform has matured over a year and many of the early bugs have been squashed. It's a stable platform. Intel's z490 motherboards are not there yet - they will be, but not yet. There's also very large differences in how your CPU will behave depending on which z490 motherboard you get and from what company. ASUS for instance adheres to Intel specifications when it comes to Boost clocks, where the others do not. It takes a bit more tweaking to get it sorted.

Also be careful of buying into the "it boosts to 5.X GHz!". Yeah that in general is marketing speak. Yes it does matter - but not to such a degree as the CPU manufacturers would like you to believe in gaming. Most people will never see the difference between a 4.6GHz boost from a Ryzen 9 3900x or a 5.3GHz boost from Intel's i9 10900k.

--------------------------------------------General Recommendations--------------------------------------------
Alright, a few things:

1) I am not a shill for any company, I am only trying to offer the best advice that I can with the knowledge I have.
2) I am not a shill for any company.
3) A lot of this is based on rumours within the industry and sources from big Techtuber channels, but also sites like videocardz etc.
Oh and ...1) and 2) again.

WIth that out of the way, let's get going:

Should you futureproof? This is a big question but my opinion is: Yes to some extent. You can't futureproof a PC for 10 years, but if your hardware is heavily outdated within 2 years or even 3 years, you should consider investing in slightly better hardware.

Unless you absolutely have to upgrade now: my advice is to wait. Nvidia, AMD and Intel are all on the cusp of releasing new technology. You are also looking to play a CPU and GPU demanding game (TW: Warhammer III, assuming it will be since I and II were).

Later this year or early next year (assumed, nothing confirmed) Intel may release 11th gen CPUs (yes most techtubers agree that 10th gen CPUs are a stopgap measure to stay on top of "gaming performance" and are not worth the money in general. If any they do recommend the i5 10600k which has more or less the same performance as the i7 8700k. if not being slightly ahead) and you can OC it *easily* to i9 10900k performance on 1080p.

GPU:
I assume that you will be playing in 1080p or 1440p at >60Hz monitors. This is where a good chunk of your PC gaming budget should go, assuming you play graphically demanding games, that also includes TW: Warhammer 3 if you want to crank up the settings.

Nvidia will (rumoured) release their new line of RTX 3000 series GPUs this september, AMD to follow with "Big Navi"/ "Navi 2X" which is rumoured by people in the industry to be on par with the top of the line RTX2000 cards or a lot faster if you look at the top of the line Navi 2X performance. If I were you I'd wait and pick something in the line of a RTX 3070 or AMD 6800XT (assuming what they're gonna be called, we simply dont know yet). Both will more than likely deliver amazing performance and hopefully not ruin your budget.

CPU:
- Intel's stuck on their 14nm process node, and they've pushed it as far as they are able really. It runs hot, has between 5-15% better gaming performance. It overclocks very nicely but requires a decent cooler. If you want to run a i7 10700k you'd have to invest in a pretty decent cooler (240mm All in one liquid cooler, AIO, for instance or larger). If you can wait (a bit), do consider waiting for AMDs Ryzen 4000 series or Intel 11th gen.

- AMD has been on a roll the past 12 months. While they are not the best of the best in gaming, the difference for most gamers is miniscule, even on 1080p, but especially on higher resolutions such as 1440p or 4k because you are more GPU-bound then than you are CPU-bound. AMD offers more cores/threads, and if you do anything other than gaming, in most applications AMD will absolutely destroy Intel chips in performance. In gaming the top of the line AMD chip is (AT THIS MOMENT with Ryzen 3000 processors) roughly 5% behind Intel in gaming performance. Their chips come with their pretty decent stock coolers (Wraith and Prism coolers, except their new XT chips, don't get those - they're a waste of money for <3% performance gain) and they generally cost roughly 100 USD less than their Intel counterparts.

If you can wait: I'd wait at least until Ryzen 4000 comes out (rumoured later this year, september or october would be my guess together with their GPU-launch of Navi 2X.

AMD also supports new technology that Intel does not yet (PCI-Express 4.0, but that won't matter for anyone unless you're gonna invest in PCI 4.0 SSDs that will use that bandwidth. It might matter in a few years though when new technology comes out and you want to upgrade a potential graphics card that may (or not) use that extra bandwidth. It's worth considering at least. The AMD B500-series motherboards are unlocked and you can OC on them, the Intel counterparts are not.

Yes it does sound like I'm advocating for AMD systems right now, and I am. Intel has sadly been sitting on its' laurels and they've been making refreshes of a processor from 2016. And yes I'm running an intel system myself.

RAM:
- RAM has come down in price and I'd get 32Gb just for that reason, especially if you want to do other things on your PC at the same time while you're gaming. Hello Chrome. Yes I'm looking at you Google Chrome. You like to eat your RAM. A lot of it.

PSU:
- Do *not* cheap out on this. This is the one component on your PC that can fry your entire system if you try to cheap out on it and you're unlucky. I'd go with a 650-ish Watts (err on the higher end here, for upgrades in the future) and a 80+ Gold rating. Notable brands I can recommend are Corsair, Seasonic and EVGA.

PC Case:
- This is important. High end components run hot and need to be cooled effectively. I'd recommend watching the YT channel Gamers Nexus for the best brands. I believe they usually recommend Phanteks P400a, CoolerMaster 500P, NZXT 500-series. Again do some research here. I'm running a Lian Li 011 Dynamic XL and it's easily the best chassis I've ever worked with - works great for Aircooling even though it's designed for custom water loops. Just make sure that your PC can breathe and doesn't sit in a corner and sucking in dust :) High Airflow=lots of crap can get in. Clean it on a regular basis for optimal performance. More temperature=lower GPU/CPU clocks=slower gaming experience.

Storage:
500Gb SSD for system drive, 1Tb SSD (NvME or SATA doesn't really matter for gaming) and another 2TB for mass storage (I suggest a hybrid drive like thet Seagate Firecuda drives).

CPU cooling:
- You can go either AIO (all in one liquid cooling, I'd recommend watching some vids on youtube for ones you're interested in, again check out Gamers Nexus on YT for this) but most AIOs perform more or less the same. NZXT has released a new Z-series AIOs that are awesome, but they're also very expensive.

- For Aircooling, I'd stick with Noctua probably, their tower coolers are hands down among the best if not the best.

Fans:
- If you want to or need to buy case fans: Go with Noctua's Chromax fans. They're hands down the best on the market. A bit pricey but as I mentioned before - cooling is essential for performance.

RGB:
Is RGB important to you? I recommend running as many components then as possible from *one* brand (ASUS, Gigabyte, MSI) - if you run different brands they can have serious mismatching issues where the RAM sticks wont be able to properly take commands from your Motherboard's RGB, you won't be able to sync them and if you have to run 4 different programs in the background just to control the lights: It will eat up a lot of PC resources just for running and...at least to me that's unacceptable. I suggest prioritizing everything else however before you start considering adding some bling to your system.

Again if this wasn't perfectly obvious:

These are my opinions and I'm in the process of upgrading my PC as well - I'm waiting. I'm reading up on what's coming and how things stand today.

I suggest checking out the following Youtube channels:
Gamers Nexus (very detailed reviews)
Paul's Hardware (down to earth and serious talk much of the time, not boring - just to the point and concise with his reviews)
Hardware Unboxed (Probably my favourite. Decent balance between detailed reviews (for youtube), humour and being concise)
Bitwit (Fun but still serious. Has a nice recurring podcast with Paul from Paul's Hardware)
Jarrod's Tech (more laptop oriented)
Linustechtips (bit of a goofy tone, but they do have episodes where they're more serious, probably the largest tech tuber in the world)
JayzTwoCents (Same as above, but when sits down to talk serious to his audience, he doesn't mess about. Also his Ifixit commercials are hilarious if you come across those)

AS FOR EVERYTHING I'VE SAID. YOU ARE YOUR OWN PERSON AND I CAN NOT MAKE THESE DECISIONS FOR YOU. Please review, research, talk to people online - and SET A BUDGET. Do not go over that budget. Do not waste absolutely more money than what you're comfortable with.

If you wish to have a word in a discord chat or something over this, I'm happy to oblige.

best regards and good luck!

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions:
EDIT: Ok how I missed that your PC died I have no idea, I have a special talent specifically designed to miss the obvious right in front of me. What I said below still applies however :D

EDIT#2: Here's my recommendations (I struggled whether or not I should give them but here it goes.)

If you're gaming on 1080p >60Hz monitor try to aim for this system:
- AMD Ryzen 5 3600 (6C/12T), it will be more than enough for 1080p for the forseeable future - if you need something better wait until Ryzen 4000 is out and sell your R5 3600 online, it will sell since it's a really good chip. Depending on how Ryzen 4000 series performs, I think the best gaming money/performance will proably be in the Ryzen 4600 or 4700 range.
- 32Gb of RAM (explenation is below why 32 instead of 16Gb), 3600MHz and not a single MHz below that. Ryzen chips run optimally at this speed (please don't force me to go into why, it's a long story and I've already written a wall of text.
- RTX 2060S or 2070S, SELL them quickly before RTX 3000 comes out - Nvidia has already discontinued the Turing-architecture (RTX 2000 series) from production, these will drop in price probably pretty quickly when the far superior 3000 series comes out. if they dont and RTX 3000 is disappointing, then the 2070S cards will last you a decent while.
- Motherboard: Aorus X570 Elite from Gigabyte. Hands down the best buck for performance in the x570 range, lots of features and connectivity, decent price and sadly the b550 lineup does a lot of compromises in this price range compared to this board. I even think Buildzoid from Actually Hardcore Overclocking (works with Gamers Nexus) did a review on X570 boards and said that this one's the hands down best one to get (price/performance).

If you want to go for Intel system as a baseline:
- Aorus z490 Ultra
- Intel i5 10600k, do a quick overclock and you can get i9 10900k performance in gaming at 1080p, nevermind higher resoultions since CPU matters less there.
- GPU and RAM recommendations the same.

The AMD-system will give you an upgrade path - will cost you *far* less than a new Intel system and will have better features. In gaming you won't see the difference - and it will run cooler/quieter (Intel runs hotter). AMDs x570 platform has matured over a year and many of the early bugs have been squashed. It's a stable platform. Intel's z490 motherboards are not there yet - they will be, but not yet. There's also very large differences in how your CPU will behave depending on which z490 motherboard you get and from what company. ASUS for instance adheres to Intel specifications when it comes to Boost clocks, where the others do not. It takes a bit more tweaking to get it sorted.

Also be careful of buying into the "it boosts to 5.X GHz!". Yeah that in general is marketing speak. Yes it does matter - but not to such a degree as the CPU manufacturers would like you to believe in gaming. Most people will never see the difference between a 4.6GHz boost from a Ryzen 9 3900x or a 5.3GHz boost from Intel's i9 10900k.

--------------------------------------------General Recommendations--------------------------------------------
Alright, a few things:

1) I am not a shill for any company, I am only trying to offer the best advice that I can with the knowledge I have.
2) I am not a shill for any company.
3) A lot of this is based on rumours within the industry and sources from big Techtuber channels, but also sites like videocardz etc.
Oh and ...1) and 2) again.

WIth that out of the way, let's get going:

Should you futureproof? This is a big question but my opinion is: Yes to some extent. You can't futureproof a PC for 10 years, but if your hardware is heavily outdated within 2 years or even 3 years, you should consider investing in slightly better hardware.

Unless you absolutely have to upgrade now: my advice is to wait. Nvidia, AMD and Intel are all on the cusp of releasing new technology. You are also looking to play a CPU and GPU demanding game (TW: Warhammer III, assuming it will be since I and II were).

Later this year or early next year (assumed, nothing confirmed) Intel may release 11th gen CPUs (yes most techtubers agree that 10th gen CPUs are a stopgap measure to stay on top of "gaming performance" and are not worth the money in general. If any they do recommend the i5 10600k which has more or less the same performance as the i7 8700k. if not being slightly ahead) and you can OC it *easily* to i9 10900k performance on 1080p.

GPU:
I assume that you will be playing in 1080p or 1440p at >60Hz monitors. This is where a good chunk of your PC gaming budget should go, assuming you play graphically demanding games, that also includes TW: Warhammer 3 if you want to crank up the settings.

Nvidia will (rumoured) release their new line of RTX 3000 series GPUs this september, AMD to follow with "Big Navi"/ "Navi 2X" which is rumoured by people in the industry to be on par with the top of the line RTX2000 cards or a lot faster if you look at the top of the line Navi 2X performance. If I were you I'd wait and pick something in the line of a RTX 3070 or AMD 6800XT (assuming what they're gonna be called, we simply dont know yet). Both will more than likely deliver amazing performance and hopefully not ruin your budget.

CPU:
- Intel's stuck on their 14nm process node, and they've pushed it as far as they are able really. It runs hot, has between 5-15% better gaming performance. It overclocks very nicely but requires a decent cooler. If you want to run a i7 10700k you'd have to invest in a pretty decent cooler (240mm All in one liquid cooler, AIO, for instance or larger). If you can wait (a bit), do consider waiting for AMDs Ryzen 4000 series or Intel 11th gen.

- AMD has been on a roll the past 12 months. While they are not the best of the best in gaming, the difference for most gamers is miniscule, even on 1080p, but especially on higher resolutions such as 1440p or 4k because you are more GPU-bound then than you are CPU-bound. AMD offers more cores/threads, and if you do anything other than gaming, in most applications AMD will absolutely destroy Intel chips in performance. In gaming the top of the line AMD chip is (AT THIS MOMENT with Ryzen 3000 processors) roughly 5% behind Intel in gaming performance. Their chips come with their pretty decent stock coolers (Wraith and Prism coolers, except their new XT chips, don't get those - they're a waste of money for <3% performance gain) and they generally cost roughly 100 USD less than their Intel counterparts.

If you can wait: I'd wait at least until Ryzen 4000 comes out (rumoured later this year, september or october would be my guess together with their GPU-launch of Navi 2X.

AMD also supports new technology that Intel does not yet (PCI-Express 4.0, but that won't matter for anyone unless you're gonna invest in PCI 4.0 SSDs that will use that bandwidth. It might matter in a few years though when new technology comes out and you want to upgrade a potential graphics card that may (or not) use that extra bandwidth. It's worth considering at least. The AMD B500-series motherboards are unlocked and you can OC on them, the Intel counterparts are not.

Yes it does sound like I'm advocating for AMD systems right now, and I am. Intel has sadly been sitting on its' laurels and they've been making refreshes of a processor from 2016. And yes I'm running an intel system myself.

RAM:
- RAM has come down in price and I'd get 32Gb just for that reason, especially if you want to do other things on your PC at the same time while you're gaming. Hello Chrome. Yes I'm looking at you Google Chrome. You like to eat your RAM. A lot of it.

PSU:
- Do *not* cheap out on this. This is the one component on your PC that can fry your entire system if you try to cheap out on it and you're unlucky. I'd go with a 650-ish Watts (err on the higher end here, for upgrades in the future) and a 80+ Gold rating. Notable brands I can recommend are Corsair, Seasonic and EVGA.

PC Case:
- This is important. High end components run hot and need to be cooled effectively. I'd recommend watching the YT channel Gamers Nexus for the best brands. I believe they usually recommend Phanteks P400a, CoolerMaster 500P, NZXT 500-series. Again do some research here. I'm running a Lian Li 011 Dynamic XL and it's easily the best chassis I've ever worked with - works great for Aircooling even though it's designed for custom water loops. Just make sure that your PC can breathe and doesn't sit in a corner and sucking in dust :) High Airflow=lots of crap can get in. Clean it on a regular basis for optimal performance. More temperature=lower GPU/CPU clocks=slower gaming experience.

Storage:
500Gb SSD for system drive, 1Tb SSD (NvME or SATA doesn't really matter for gaming) and another 2TB for mass storage (I suggest a hybrid drive like thet Seagate Firecuda drives).

CPU cooling:
- You can go either AIO (all in one liquid cooling, I'd recommend watching some vids on youtube for ones you're interested in, again check out Gamers Nexus on YT for this) but most AIOs perform more or less the same. NZXT has released a new Z-series AIOs that are awesome, but they're also very expensive.

- For Aircooling, I'd stick with Noctua probably, their tower coolers are hands down among the best if not the best.

Fans:
- If you want to or need to buy case fans: Go with Noctua's Chromax fans. They're hands down the best on the market. A bit pricey but as I mentioned before - cooling is essential for performance.

RGB:
Is RGB important to you? I recommend running as many components then as possible from *one* brand (ASUS, Gigabyte, MSI) - if you run different brands they can have serious mismatching issues where the RAM sticks wont be able to properly take commands from your Motherboard's RGB, you won't be able to sync them and if you have to run 4 different programs in the background just to control the lights: It will eat up a lot of PC resources just for running and...at least to me that's unacceptable. I suggest prioritizing everything else however before you start considering adding some bling to your system.

Again if this wasn't perfectly obvious:

These are my opinions and I'm in the process of upgrading my PC as well - I'm waiting. I'm reading up on what's coming and how things stand today.

I suggest checking out the following Youtube channels:
Gamers Nexus (very detailed reviews)
Paul's Hardware (down to earth and serious talk much of the time, not boring - just to the point and concise with his reviews)
Hardware Unboxed (Probably my favourite. Decent balance between detailed reviews (for youtube), humour and being concise)
Bitwit (Fun but still serious. Has a nice recurring podcast with Paul from Paul's Hardware)
Jarrod's Tech (more laptop oriented)
Linustechtips (bit of a goofy tone, but they do have episodes where they're more serious, probably the largest tech tuber in the world)
JayzTwoCents (Same as above, but when sits down to talk serious to his audience, he doesn't mess about. Also his Ifixit commercials are hilarious if you come across those)

AS FOR EVERYTHING I'VE SAID. YOU ARE YOUR OWN PERSON AND I CAN NOT MAKE THESE DECISIONS FOR YOU. Please review, research, talk to people online - and SET A BUDGET. Do not go over that budget. Do not waste absolutely more money than what you're comfortable with.

If you wish to have a word in a discord chat or something over this, I'm happy to oblige.

best regards and good luck!

Wow, thanks for the information. This will at very least help me fill in the PC parts Ive yet to pick. I think I will take your advice and wait a bit. Especially since CK3 and TW:W3 aren't out yet. Also didn't know next gen CPU/GPUs were just around the corner either.. If the next gen AMD and Intel offer big enough boost then ill probably go with them.

Wow, thanks for the information. This will at very least help me fill in the PC parts Ive yet to pick. I think I will take your advice and wait a bit. Especially since CK3 and TW:W3 aren't out yet. Also didn't know next gen CPU/GPUs were just around the corner either.. If the next gen AMD and Intel offer big enough boost then ill probably go with them.

Anytime buddy. You're probably going to see one hell of a performance boost if your PC is a couple of years old :) WIsh you the best of luck :)

My current PC died recently due to either a motherboard or power supply failure..

Here's my current PC Specs:
i7-3820 Quad Core CPU @ 3.60GHz to 3.80GHz
Nvidia GeForce GTX 555 1024MB
8GB RAM
Windows 7 64bit
Motherboard: Product: 07JNH0
Harddrive: 1000GB ATA SST000DM003-9YN1 SCSI

It ran mostly fine for CK2 and EU4, but would bottleneck playing mods like EU4-MEIOU and run very close to max CPU for CK2-HIP. It also wasn't able to run TW games after Rome 2 due to my GPU I believe.

This is what I currently have built but im still in process of changing things to make sure im getting good efficiency between CPU/GPU/Memory and could use some advice as im not anywhere close to being a expert.

*POSSIBLE NEW PC SPECS*
i7-10700K (8 Core, 16 Threads, 16MB Cache, 3.8GHz to 5.1GHz)
Nvidia GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER 8GB GDDR6
16GB Dual Channel DDR4 RAM @3200MHz
512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD
Windows 10 64bit

Here's some of my decision making I used with little knowledge I know about PC specs..

When I was looking at CPUs these were my choices from each i5, i7, and i9. I figured i9 10th Gen might be too much of a overkill with 10 cores. And that i5 10th Gen 6 cores would be sufficient but not enough future proof for future Paradox games. That's why I picked the 8 core i7 10th Gen.

• i5-10600KF (6 Core, 12MB Cache, 4.1GHz to 4.8GHz)
  • i7-10700K (8 Core, 16MB Cache, 3.8GHz to 5.1GHz)
  • i9-10900K (10 Core, 20MB Cache, 3.7GHz to 5.3GHz)

When looking at GPU I was torn between these 3 cards. I was looking at the system specs for HOI4, Stellaris, Imperator, and TW: Warhammer 2 and figured both the 2070S and 2080S might be little too much overkill. That's why I picked the 2060Sword unscrambler

• Nvidia GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER 8GB GDDR6
  • Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8GB GDDR6
  • Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER 8GB GDDR6

When looking at memory I figured very few games even use more than 8GB, so that 8x2GB (16GB) would be perfect for both current and future proof without spending hundreds of dollars. The main choice was between the speeds of the RAM Memory.. Whether to choose 2933MHz vs 3200MHz.. For now i decided on the 3200MHz unless told otherwise. Figured faster RAM = better RAM.

Finally for Harddrive I figure a 500GB single drive SSD would be enough for what I plan to do. I rarely went over 500GB on my old 1000GB HDD. I only ever plan to play Paradox games and the occasional Total War.. I dont see myself buying big big games like 100gb Call of Duty ever.

TDLR:
Overall im curious to see how much of a improvement im going to see between my 8 year old PC vs the new one im trying to build. Would like to hear your thoughts if I made any bad choices or if I should change things to run a more efficient PC for CK3/Warhammer 3
Thanks for reading and for any examples you guys can provide.

• 1Like
Reactions:
32 gigs of RAM:)
Hold on. I know ram is kinda cheap now but why would you go for 32 gigs now? Isn't it better to buy 8 gigs (or 16 if you really have to) now and wait for prices to drop even further? I mean he himself says barely anything he uses is more than 8 gigs. With DDR5 already announced and probably coming next year I only see DDR4 ram prices going down from here

Hold on. I know ram is kinda cheap now but why would you go for 32 gigs now? Isn't it better to buy 8 gigs (or 16 if you really have to) now and wait for prices to drop even further? I mean he himself says barely anything he uses is more than 8 gigs. With DDR5 already announced and probably coming next year I only see DDR4 ram prices going down from here

8Gb is definately too low for modern titles, if you plan to play games from 2010-2015, sure - but even newer applications require more and more memory - and lord help you if you use Google Chrome. 16Gb is certainly doable, but 32Gb will ensure that you won't have to worry about it ever in the coming years. You can get 2x8 Gb 3200MHz sticks for as low as 60 euros, and RAM hasn't been this cheap in a long time, it's unlikely it will drop in price further. I recently upgraded from 16 to 32 myself and I can already tell that my system is a lot snappier and a lot more responsive, and I was running 16 gigs of 3600MHz RAM anyways.

I think I covered the "future" somewhere in my post - but it seemed to me that he needed his PC fairly soon so waiting for DDR5 won't be an option. With DDR5 we'll probably get new sets of motherboards, CPUs and sticks - and even though if it's launched next year (not certain at all).

I agree with some of the techtubers out there (Jaystwocents and Techdeals come to mind): What matters is performance. Does your system do what you need it to do? Good, go for it and don't regret it - do NOT wait for future upgrades constantly because there's *always* going to be something new waiting at the horizon. Best thing is to build your system, turn off the FPS counter and enjoy the experience.

Again, when it comes to RAM, I mean if his budget is constrained (because this is all budget constrained to some degree, and when I say budget I don't mean "cheap") then whomsoever is building should start off with 16 gigs and take it from there. Chances are that 16gigs will be enough for the coming years, but if he's on the same system in 4-5 years and wants to make an easy upgrade he's gonna face a few problems, namely:
A) DDR4 is gone, DDR5 or possibly DDR6 is the thing the market's offering.
B) If he goes to the used market, he might find it quite expensive, just check out what some high speed DDR3 sticks cost online, it can get quite expensive
C) You don't want to mix 'n match RAM sticks, preferrably if you want 4 sticks in dual channel, you want the same sticks running at the same speed, chances are you might even want to get 4x8 sticks because the manufacturers who sell us these sticks validate XMP performance for 2x8 sticks and 4x8, if you buy 2x(2x8) chances are that your XMP needs to be tweaked (unlikely but it can happen) for it to work in a stable manner. I believe Paul's Hardware just mentioned this fact in one of his latest videos.

Again, I'd go with 16 if budget is a concern, but spending another 60 euros if you're already spending >2000 is nothing and not worth *not* doing it :)

:)