• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Greene

Colonel
Dec 23, 2016
Let’s say I have a colony with four annexed sectors (so 5/5) and an unannexed sector next to it. I can’t annex it because I’m full already and I can’t colonise it because it’s right next to another colony. What am I supposed to do? Colonize a sector away from it and then annex?

you don't have to annex every sector just because it exists. the crappy sectors that give +1 to each yield (rather than +2 to one or two yields) are rarely worth colonizing picking at all. if you want the movement speed bonus (or if you just can't stand holes in your territory) you can put outposts on uncolonized sectors for 20 influence each

You can also transfer sectors to other cities or release them as outposts.

Both of these take some time, and releasing sectors costs resources, but it will let you fix your empire layout if you made a mistake, or if you conquer some AI city that made... sub-optimal annexing choices.

You can also turn it into a forward relay base if you don't have an orbital relay in your nearby city. Do note that forward relay bases have a cosmite upkeep cost (2 or 3 upkeep iirc). I sometimes do this for production cities where I want as many specialization bonuses for units as possible and may not have another nearby city to build a relay in.

You can also turn it into a forward relay base if you don't have an orbital relay in your nearby city. Do note that forward relay bases have a cosmite upkeep cost (2 or 3 upkeep iirc). I sometimes do this for production cities where I want as many specialization bonuses for units as possible and may not have another nearby city to build a relay in.
This.

Man, those sectors can be huge. I have forward relay bases everywhere endgame. Those are gold.