Fix AI debt spiral / alliance issues. It's been broken for weeks, and it's gamebreaking.

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The problem is if they go to recent form. The Two hotfixes BEFORE vacation will be considered fixing the patch. Then after Vacation they will be working on next patch or DLC.
Well, I have been waiting for them to fix the AI for 1.5 years now. Had a nice dev diary in between telling us about a great improvement to the economy-AI. Now that 1.30 released (and didn't deliver), I'm waiting again....

• 1Like
Reactions:
I've had weeks where I have played PDS games EUIV in particular, maybe 50 or even 60 hours, I haven't even opened the launcher now for over a month, I haven't bought Emporer because I knew it would be a disaster, I'm bored to tears with flaccid IR, and there's no way on earth I am buying CKIII.

PDS have fallen off a cliff over the last 15 months. It's like the whole IR release debacle sent them into a tailspin.
Why not just play 1.29? It is still just as fun as a couple of months ago.

• 2Like
Reactions:
I don’t see why removing something from the AI’s spending wish list (institutions) would not help them better budget.
Losing one war costs five loans on top of any loans taken to fight the war.

Peacetime recruit-disband loops due to mishandling of mercenaries add up to big piles of loans.

In contrast, embracing an institution costs about two loans, once every 50 years.

I believe embracement cost is moddable, so you could test this by writing a mod that sets the ducat cost of embracement to 0 (or gives all AI countries a -200% embracement cost static modifier).

• 1Like
Reactions:
Id love for the devs to put together a package to fix the AI but at this point it seems the AI will always play catch up to the human player on new features. Unless we have a paid DLC with no new features I don’t see that changing drastically.

I don’t see why removing something from the AI’s spending wish list (institutions) would not help them better budget. Institutions are by far the priciest thing the AI can buy in one go. The challenge is finding a balance in what replaces that capability, whether it’s GR progress or autonomy, to ensure the human and AI are at least theoretically in the same footing.

Whatever you use to replace it will ultimately have the same problem. Human players are just better at budgeting than the AI is. Changing game mechanics to work around the incompetence of the AI is s terrible idea.

Reactions:

It's this week that the chance of a patch finally being released becomes non-zero. Add another week and that chance might actually become significant.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Not going to let this thread die until they at least acknowledge the problems.

• 5Like
Reactions:
That's because EU and Imperator handle debt differently. In EU, it's expected that you'll go into debt to fight a big war, so disbanding mercenaries if you do would be extremely damaging behaviour. Bankruptcy does disband mercenaries, however.

I can see the concern and completely agree that losing mercs mid war would be unworkable considering how the game makes loans automatic and it can be necessary to take on a large amount of debt to even have a chance of expanding depending on the circumstances.

However, the idea behind the mercs disbanding based on debt could still be considered and refined to suit EU4. For example, not triggering the disbanding/events until peace occurs with a MTTH dependent on the number of loans you have. That way the AI won't passively keep mercs on hand for decades for the debt cycle to become unmanageable and players can game the system to chain wars to retain their mercs.

Reactions:
I can see the concern and completely agree that losing mercs mid war would be unworkable considering how the game makes loans automatic and it can be necessary to take on a large amount of debt to even have a chance of expanding depending on the circumstances.

However, the idea behind the mercs disbanding based on debt could still be considered and refined to suit EU4. For example, not triggering the disbanding/events until peace occurs with a MTTH dependent on the number of loans you have. That way the AI won't passively keep mercs on hand for decades for the debt cycle to become unmanageable and players can game the system to chain wars to retain their mercs.

That would just be aggravating for human players, and in some cases would make debt worse, since you'd have to re-hire the mercs. I would detest a system that disbands part of your army for you based on random chance. And the absolute last thing the game needs is more arbitrary mechanics for the player to find ways to work around.

It's also completely unnecessary, because the AI can simply be programmed to act like that. If it's not in a war, planning to be in one or expecting to be declared on imminently, it shouldn't have mercs hired.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Is there an upper bound on debt? At some point the "credit worthiness" of a heavily indebted nation should come into account. Even Ancien Regime France, a tremendous land and colonial power, eventually ran out of creditors willing to extend them a loan.

Would lowering that limit/creating it in the first place and forcing a bankruptcy be a good idea? The limit could change based on Age or Admin tech or something.

Is there an upper bound on debt? At some point the "credit worthiness" of a heavily indebted nation should come into account. Even Ancien Regime France, a tremendous land and colonial power, eventually ran out of creditors willing to extend them a loan.

Would lowering that limit/creating it in the first place and forcing a bankruptcy be a good idea? The limit could change based on Age or Admin tech or something.

Yeah, you can't take more loans once the amount of interest you're paying exceeds your current income. Of course, in practice you're effectively bankrupt well before that point, since you need to pay your armies etc.

Yeah, you can't take more loans once the amount of interest you're paying exceeds your current income. Of course, in practice you're effectively bankrupt well before that point, since you need to pay your armies etc.

So these screenshots we're seeing of the Ottomans and Russia being thousands of ducats in debt, they're not tripping the bankruptcy limit because (in theory), they're making enough that the debt could be paid off?
But the AI just... Isn't.
All the while denying calls to arms, but dragging the player into their own wars.

Great stuff PDX.

• 3Like
Reactions:

Debt had two limiting factors. 1) number of loans you can have; 2) how much interest you are paying.

I don't know how the amount of loans you can take is calculated, but basically both loan size and the maximum amounts of loans you can take are dictated by your development. You can take loans as long as you are within you loan capacity. Once you reach it, you cannot take more loans.

Additionally, if your interest is greater than your income (the amount you make before expenses being taken into account), you can't take more loans.

A single loan for a nation the size of Russia or Ottomans can easily be 1K ducats. Monthly interest per loan is usually around 1 ducat. These nations easily make 140+ ducats by the mid game and most often hit 200+ ducats. Lastly, they both have the Lucky nation modifier, which decreases by 1%/0.5% (either one or the other. Don't recall which is the correct amount between these two modifiers) the interest rate.

As you can see, they can easily accumulate 20K debt and still be able to take out loans.

Reactions:
Debt had two limiting factors. 1) number of loans you can have; 2) how much interest you are paying.

I don't know how the amount of loans you can take is calculated, but basically both loan size and the maximum amounts of loans you can take are dictated by your development. You can take loans as long as you are within you loan capacity. Once you reach it, you cannot take more loans.

Additionally, if your interest is greater than your income (the amount you make before expenses being taken into account), you can't take more loans.

A single loan for a nation the size of Russia or Ottomans can easily be 1K ducats. Monthly interest per loan is usually around 1 ducat. These nations easily make 140+ ducats by the mid game and most often hit 200+ ducats. Lastly, they both have the Lucky nation modifier, which decreases by 1%/0.5% (either one or the other. Don't recall which is the correct amount between these two modifiers) the interest rate.

As you can see, they can easily accumulate 20K debt and still be able to take out loans.

That tells me that the debt limit is too high. If it's so crippling they have no army, dishonor defensive calls, etc. Then they should have stopped a long time ago and just gone bankrupt and taken the hit.

• 2Like
Reactions:
That tells me that the debt limit is too high. If it's so crippling they have no army, dishonor defensive calls, etc. Then they should have stopped a long time ago and just gone bankrupt and taken the hit.

Well, it's possible to take voluntary bankruptcy, but I suspect that the AI would be extremely bad at knowing when to do that, so it probably doesn't do it at all.

The problem is really twofold. Firstly, it's possible to be deep in debt and still functional, so the AI does exactly that. Secondly, the AI treats debt as a significant factor in deciding whether to accept a call, even if it could easily afford to fight the war. Meaning that you can end up with a perfectly viable country making a small profit which nevertheless will consistently reject calls, yet will also happily start its own wars and drag you into them.

• 1Like
Reactions:
It is a shame because I think the intended changes are pretty great where they work, but the number of bugs/iffy design in such a range of things, including things like mission requirements which seem like they should be fairly robust to other changes that are being made(?) makes you wonder how so much got broken...

That said most are pretty minor on their own. The AI debt is for me by far the most serious. Of course it may also not be straightforward to just fire in a fix for this (AI problems are not new to this update and the problem is likely in a few systems that you might not want to just fiddle around with quickly). So I don’t know if it’s reasonable to expect people to delay their holiday until the AI gets up to scratch!!! I do hope that when the AI fix comes it is not just a simple bug fix but a pretty wide reaching tuneup.

Reactions:
Well, it's possible to take voluntary bankruptcy, but I suspect that the AI would be extremely bad at knowing when to do that, so it probably doesn't do it at all.

The problem is really twofold. Firstly, it's possible to be deep in debt and still functional, so the AI does exactly that. Secondly, the AI treats debt as a significant factor in deciding whether to accept a call, even if it could easily afford to fight the war. Meaning that you can end up with a perfectly viable country making a small profit which nevertheless will consistently reject calls, yet will also happily start its own wars and drag you into them.

The AI do go bankrupt. You can check for yourself by enabling bankruptcy pop ups. What I don't know is if they can declare bankruptcy or only go bankrupt when they are forced to by the game systems.

Used to be the case that AI would declare bankruptcy on more reasonable conditions but as is the case with most everything AI related this day, it got changed and now isn't working as well as it used to.

Used to be the case that AI would declare bankruptcy on more reasonable conditions but as is the case with most everything AI related this day, it got changed and now isn't working as well as it used to.
They decided it was declaring voluntary bankruptcy too often.

(Which, to be fair, it was.)

• 1Like
Reactions:
They decided it was declaring voluntary bankruptcy too often.

(Which, to be fair, it was.)

So, they solved AI bankrupting by making forced bankruptcy limit way too high and increased player difficulty by making AI never respond a call to war. At the same time, they forced player to respond to call even if in another war.

What a great way to improve the AI - hide the problems under other problems...

Reactions:
Status
Not open for further replies.