• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Hello, I've got an issue with the mod. I followed every step and replied to every question with the suggested answer, except for the first one (the one about the folder) and the one about MiniSWMH, BUT in the Launcher I can't get to open the Mods tab.
I don't know if it's important, but I've got the Steam's F2P version of the game, no other mods installed whatsoever.

I installed it in "C:\Users\Comm\Documents\Paradox Interactive\Crusader Kings II\mod\HIP_2020-03-06_Frosty2", but the game didn't come with the "mod" folder, I had to add it. I'm pretty new to this so I'm uncertain if I did something wrong. Also, the version.txt file had this "2020-03-19 (Frosty2)".

Thanks in advance :)

I saw that new HIP Chinese Mod on the Steam Launcher Program Workshop and downloaded HIP solely to play it. While I was testing to see if the Mod worked (not using the Chinese Mod), I was stunned to see India cut in half and all of Siberia and Tibet wiped off of it. I felt robbed.

Did I download the wrong version? I tried to add the Somewhat More Historical feature, which was required by the new Chinese Mod. I can't enjoy the game very well in something short of a fifth of the map is completely gone. Even the HIP Chinese Mod doesn't add back the newly christened Siberian Wastes.

It seems like half of the nomads, half of India, and all of Tibet are simply gone...

I'm disappointed. Is there anything I am doing wrong, or is this what HIP brings to the table?

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
I saw that new HIP Chinese Mod on the Steam Launcher Program Workshop and downloaded HIP solely to play it. While I was testing to see if the Mod worked (not using the Chinese Mod), I was stunned to see India cut in half and all of Siberia and Tibet wiped off of it. I felt robbed.

Did I download the wrong version? I tried to add the Somewhat More Historical feature, which was required by the new Chinese Mod. I can't enjoy the game very well in something short of a fifth of the map is completely gone. Even the HIP Chinese Mod doesn't add back the newly christened Siberian Wastes.

It seems like half of the nomads, half of India, and all of Tibet are simply gone...

I'm disappointed. Is there anything I am doing wrong, or is this what HIP brings to the table?

Comprehensive Annals of the Five Dynasties would be the China mod you are probably thinking about, and it includes a different map that is roughly based on gluing together most of the SWMH map together with a different map for India, China, and the rest of the Far East. If you are playing with that mod, you will get a different map, though all the other parts of SWMH (namely, the cultures, all of the titles and characters outside of India and East Asia, and all of EMF's special SWMH-specific stuff) will still be present.

SWMH made their map cut there a very long time ago, and they decided to cut off most of India and the Tarim Basin both to keep the map more accurate in terms of shape and distance and to not explode the number of provinces required to represent everything. It's a compromise they chose to make, and while some like you may miss the lack of India and the Tarim Basin, that is why submods that add those regions exist, as well as submods that remove even more regions from the SWMH map. As for the Siberian provinces, well, they're Siberian provinces. Almost everything that Paradox put in those regions was purely fantasy material, and SWMH aims at trying to represent actual, provable history as much as possible. If there's no real written history for a region, then anything put there would be fantastical, so SWMH removed it. The same applies for regions like the Kola peninsula.

If you are looking to just have a playable China with a vanilla CK2 experience, this really isn't the mod you're looking for. You'll have a much better time with a mod like Tianxia than any submod of HIP, as HIP changes a lot of the vanilla CK2 experience.

• 1Like
Reactions:

You need to actively select the Comprehensive Annals Submod. Otherwise you are not gonna get Siberia/China/India etc

The Submod is ADDING the areas to SWMH (Thats what it does). The areas are not a part of SWMH without it.

Whatever Modules and Submods you select, impact the setup you get to play with enormously. Thats the strength of HIP. You get to play the Mod in a myriad of different ways.

Got it. What I don't get, though, is why the SWMH Mod chooses "gut it" whenever they couldn't find real people to hold it. That makes no sense. The logical answer would be to maintain the fan fiction characters and add real ones whenever records exist to prove them. Fan fiction characters can also be created based on what history knows about those regions. Even if they don't know the men, we still understand the cultures and peoples that populate the region. Accurate representations of those cultures are fully feasible. I doubt there are less historical records there than sub-Saharan Africa, which you included in all its glory. You can't tell me that a place as vibrant and rich India isn't as important, and I doubt that people look at the Mod and go "Oh wow, I can play as sub-Saharan Africa!". I'd be the farm that more people play India.

Is there a HIP Mod that adds Tibet and such back? The main reason I wanted to play the Chinese Annals Mod is because, unlike Tianxi, it actually has features and such, including more immersion, Events, and religions that are not placeholders. Unlike Tianxi, IIRC, it also has a working system of invading China and becoming the Emperor. The author also plans to recreate the Jade Dragon plans.

Furthermore, though I subscribed to HIP because of the Chinese Annals, I am really interested in just how far it goes in giving each and every religion, heresy, and mechanic a deep purpose and adventure. I wanted to experience CK2 like never before, and was stunned to see that the HIP Map cut off something like a quarter of the Map. I'm not giving up just yet; I was just surprised at a Mod whose Map went in reverse.

Reactions:
To be clear, the SWMH map was developed BEFORE India or Tibet or Siberia and whatever were added to the base game. So they didn't "cut off" anything. The SWMH map is built from the ground up using whatever historical sources are available. The SWMH team made the decision not to add southern India and other new regions. It was a large project that none of the SWMH team had expertise in. They added as much as India as they felt necessary to ensure that there was a threat to Persia's eastern borders, but no more.

It goes against the HIP and SWMH guiding ethos to have fantasy characters. As for sub-Saharan Africa, I suspect your preconceptions of what "Africa" looks like are leading you wrong here. Sub-Saharan Africa is well-recorded, both by the many travelers to its rich centers, and by Sub-Saharan Africans themselves, who had and have a rich literary tradition.

Nothing was "cut off" or "gutted". They just weren't added when SWMH felt that their addition was unnecessary.

• 3Like
Reactions:
I don't understand why filler charcters, awaiting new and appropriate information, can't be left in there. Why else would HIP refuse to expand the map that badly for that long? It looks like someone took a bite out of SIberia, as if they were eating a sandwich. It's absolutely baffling that one has to go around that whole thing when there were people there.

Also, the African regions east of Mali and west of Ethiopia, IIRC, were not in the game when HIP SWMH came out, either.

Last edited:
Reactions:
That reminds me. Should I reinstall the Mod without SWMH and just use the Annals of China Mod? What exactly is causing the conflict?

I don't understand why filler charcters, awaiting new and appropriate information, can't be left in there. Why else would HIP refuse to expand the map that badly for that long? It looks like someone took a bite out of SIberia, as if they were eating a sandwich. It's absolutely baffling that one has to go around that whole thing when there were people there.

People were also in the Sahara, and the Arabian Desert, and the Taklamakan Desert, and Lappland... doesn't mean you gain anything from putting feudal lords there. Often less is more, and the most historically accurate decision you could have would be to leave areas of the map blank if you don't have any specific records of that area's rulership at all. In the case of Siberia, there is an extra twist in that they are regions where you'd have a bunch of nomads, and CK2's nomads scale in an extremely broken fashion if you put too many easily accessible provinces for them in a region.

Also, the African regions east of Mali and west of Ethiopia, IIRC, were not in the game when HIP SWMH came out, either.

Correct. You'll also note that those regions tend to have significantly better records than bumf***nowhere in Siberia, even if in the case of West Africa, some of them are oral records. Africa was an incredibly rich and industrious place during CK2's timeperiod (part of why Europeans were so interested in it in the 1400's and 1500's). Comparing Djenne to a random spot in the middle of Siberia during this timeperiod would be like comparing New York City to... well, a random spot in the middle of Siberia today.

That reminds me. Should I reinstall the Mod without SWMH and just use the Annals of China Mod? What exactly is causing the conflict?

A whole bunch of history files in Annals of China rely on SWMH culture and province data. As far as I can tell, you cannot play Annals of China without SWMH. You'll just have to make do with fewer provinces in bumf***nowhere, Siberia. Or, y'know, not play a mod that you really don't like? That's always an option, too. That's what I tend to do with a mod that does something I really, really don't like.

• 3Like
Reactions:
I didn't say that I didn't like this Mod. I'm saying that if I want to travel east and attack China, I don't want to go all the way down to, like, Transoxiana and then back up. Obviously, there aren't many people in Siberia because the region was full of NOMADS. CK2 made the right decision on that. We have poor records of who lived in Siberia permanently, but we know of the many, many nomads that lived there, such as the Khirgizes, the Cumans, and any number of Central Asian characters.

This isn't simply trimming off the Khanty characters or moving the map south. You literally bisected half of Siberia so far down that the climate changes if you were to walk around it.

Reactions:
To be honest, it might be just me, but I think the map is too big as it is. I mean the HIP/SWMH map. I prefer better-researched map with a lot more holdings and provinces limited to Europe, North Africa and Middle-east Caucasus and Persia up to Hindu Kush and Pamir, than the whole bunch of Asia, India, Japan etc.

But anyway, both points are quite irrelevant, given that there are submods for HIP that extend the map, so...

Reactions:
Its a fairly irrelevant discussion at this point, as active development of new "features" for SWMH will cease, as i move on to CK3.

SWMH will still be maintained and bugfixed, but it won't see new features.

EMF and the other modules are still gonna see new features, but SWMH will be frozen into as good a state as possible.

As a modder i'm very much ready to try modding a new game

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions:
Just in case anyone was wondering like me, there was an update on the 10th of july

No worries, the download is still available in this thread through the text-link in the opening post here.

Splitting Oghuz and them from the normal Turkish doesn't make them not Turkish. I take that the Oghuz culture is under the Turkish group, where it actually makes sense to be?

Splitting Oghuz and them from the normal Turkish doesn't make them not Turkish. I take that the Oghuz culture is under the Turkish group, where it actually makes sense to be?

It's part of SWMH and oghuz is in the altaic group, which also contains turks, turkmen etc. depending on era, as far as i can see.
Anyway, this is the download thread, so..

Hi, I have a question regarding Waldensian Heresy. After becoming the Apostle which is essentially a mini pope, I can no longer divorce my wife as it says cannot interact with itself. Essentially the char is the religious head himself. Is there a workaround or a quick way to mod it? Anyone tinkered with decisions and events for Waldensians? Giving baptize to children etc. grant boons and claims like the pope would i. e.

I'm playing CK2 again after years of hiatus. Downloaded this mod at once as it is my favorite CK2 mod ever. Well it was The Prince & the Thane with SWMH and then now its HIP with SMMH.

Question: How do I make this work with the latest CK2 version without the need to downgrade or rollback my current version?

I'm playing CK2 again after years of hiatus. Downloaded this mod at once as it is my favorite CK2 mod ever. Well it was The Prince & the Thane with SWMH and then now its HIP with SMMH.

Question: How do I make this work with the latest CK2 version without the need to downgrade or rollback my current version?

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, I think HIP/SWMH is already compatible with the latest CK2 version, if you look at the file it says updated on 10/7/20, or scarcely 20 days ago.

Reactions: