What are your early game god-mode mod/unit combinations?

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Actually, bouncers dont need skitter since their pheromones will naturally give it to them at the point in time they need it most. It's very painful!

Nah just load up on other defensive mods (armor is good to protect against melee, which bypasses evasion) and they're honestly kinda broken. Bullet spin bypasses evasion (I learned this the other day playing holodisplacement shakarn hackers, it hurt) and they get to jump every turn which is a stupid amount of battlefield mobility. Throw on all the shit you can get by being a hero and they become really monstrous

Oh... right... shize...

Ah well, I mean, really, my thread should probably have been titled "Therians: Ripping Apart Balance" but eh, Alpha Transformation is what I was thinking of when I made it and then I thought of a bunch of the other stuff.

But really, it's kind of telling that the difference between Bouncer Jump and Jetpack is that one has no cooldown and leaves one action point and the other is free action with a cooldown. Oh, and one is innate and the other's a mod, there's that too.

Silence from SP players isn't the same as it not being imbalanced, it just means that either no one on the forum is exploiting that specific imbalance, or if they are they aren't interested in complaining about it because presumably, they enjoy playing an unbalanced game like that. That doesnt make it not broken, that just means SP players have the luxury of ignoring imbalances. Hence why MP tends to dominate balance discussions.

Or maybe it's not that SP players aren't interested in balance, but MP players that by definition engage in social gaming, and to do that require social engagement via social media like say this forum or discord are already here.
As an MP player you get faced with more particular strategies, due to the simple fact that different people play differently, and when you do all you have to do is click on the subforum tab and post. And you have your opponent and eventual observers to corroborate.
An SP player has to create an account first and then the imbalance report would be just a single voice.

So while MP players have better chances to find problemeatic interactions, the reason MP dominates balance discussion might simply be, because they're louder.
And given the pushback I am receiving here (from multiple peopole) simply for voicing that dissent, that is very suitable to silence most SP players that want to discuss balance.
Go read through the AoW3 forums and you'll find examples of that too.

Anyone can point to an imbalance in SP and say "actually, it's just a way of overcoming the AI's advantages" and I don't know if that's something you expect anyone to be able to respond to because you can say that about literally any advantage the player gets or makes. It's a pretty meaningless argument to put forward

So is "balance" when you get down to it. or imbalance, or OP. They are all relative to other factors.
And you ssem to have really some trouble to understand that MP and SP measure against a different opposition

Like you could put forward the exact same argument if instead of "MCing an enemy unit gives a colony 1 colonist" it was "MCing an enemy unit gives a colony 5 colonists." It makes no judgement on the strength of the ability other than "it gives the player an advantage, and the AI already starts with advantages, ergo it is not imbalanced as it is just compensating for the advantages the AI gets." What do you expect a counterargument to look like? How could any advantage the player gets possibly be considered an imbalance from this perspective? Is there, perhaps, an extent example of an imbalance for SP players you could point to?

Honestly, at this point I don't know anymore where your lack of understanding comes from. Are you incapable of understanding that "The AI in SP has more resources than a player in MP and as such more troops" means? Are you willfully ignoring it?

The AI gets advantages, and the challenge in SP is to find ways to overcome those, where the MP challenge is in outmaneuvering an opponent with equal resources.
For simplification consider it this way:
In MP you use your 3 troopers to fight Sinslings 3 troopers.
In SP you use your 3 troopers to fight Michael Valentines 5 troopers.
A game element that gives you 1 extra free trooper and your opponent not would be imbalanced in the MP environment, because it would make it so you fight 4 vs. 3, to the detriment of Sinsling, and given equal skill you would win every time. In SP the same element would not be imbalanced ys you would still be outmatched on numbers (4 vs 5), and need a another advantage to win in such a matchup.

Similar with the MC to colonist ability. The AI gets a growth advantage in SP (I think 40 food and double food production on hardest difficulty). As such it has more colonists all things being equal. Getting extra colonists via ability as such has a point where it gives you additional colonists less than the amount the AI in addition, around that and more.
And those are the balance points in SP.

As for an example, I do consider battlefield autopsies (the assembly doctrine) to have been much stronger in SP and it might even still be on bigger maps. Where it gave a handful of potentially deciding techs in duels, on bigger map it allows doomsday rushing rather quickly before the AI can react to it.

Please stop trying to equate my position as advocating for a broken game. It makes you seem incapable of reading.

Relax, I am with you regarding major difference between 1 vs 1 MP and 11 AIs SP, especially if the AIs are modded to have 400% resources of extreme AI :) What works in one mode, probably cannot work in another.
For instance, I killed an AI and had 5 colonies on turn 14. Now it is turn 30, guess how many colonies I have. Still 5 because AIs don't allow me to attack them. As soon as I try to leave my colonies, I am instantly attacked from 3 directions because of their full map view cheat. They are not even in a single team.

dude you're not responding to my points at all, how do you write so many paragraphs without getting it

you keep saying that balance is relative or whatever but that's just hot air, your perspective is incapable of having any kind of balance discussion. what do you think defines an imbalance? what does an imbalance look like? what makes you think something is imbalanced? what tools and methods do you use to measure an imbalance? you are pointing to thing willy nilly and saying "that is not an imbalance" but you can not back that up at all. was celestial MC balanced in SP? how would you go about describing that resource gain relative to other means of resource gain? if it was imbalanced, how would you be able to tell?

in MP, both sides are equal, and because of this you can point to games as points of data for balance. if you believe something is imbalanced, you have something to test that against: other players. you can play both as and against an imbalanced strategy and determine if it is imbalanced or not by seeing how it stacks up against other strategies.

SP, meanwhile, is asymmetrical in balance, as the AI has advantages that you do not. you use this to claim that x MP balance issue is actually not a balance issue, but when you say that celestial MC isn't monstrously more powerful than other strategies, can you prove it? when you say that actually, being able to rapidly accelerate pop growth by turning many basic site clears into an additional 100+ food in value is fine and good, what is your reasoning for that? my reasoning is "most other strategies are not able to keep up with that level of economic growth. you can tell this by trying to beat that strategy with other strategies" because you can measure that strategy against other strategies directly, by having them compete in the same game or by estimating basic benchmarks of economic progress given past experience with similar strategies.

so when you say that celestial MC wasn't unbalanced, what metrics are you using to judge that? how are you testing that? what's your actual argument behind your position, because saying "well, the circumstances are different" is just a grown up way of saying "nuh uhhhhhh." give me points of data. find some way to actually show that this is true, the best your argument does is wave in the general direction of the idea that because there's some difference in circumstances, balance could be different in SP. but, in this specific case, is it actually? how does celestial MC abuse play out in SP? if someone employs the same strategy as an MP player, do they actually get a different result? you've stated that circumstances are different, but you have not connected different circumstances to a difference in outcome. how does that difference in circumstance make celestial MC balanced in SP where it is imbalanced in MP? don't just state the circumstances, explain why, in this specific case, they make a difference. because the end reality is that a moderately intelligent human player is more difficult to defeat than AIs, so if a strategy gives you an advantage over a human player, who is capable of acting to predict and counter your strategy and attempt to run intelligent strategies of their own, how can an AI that - despite its massive economic cheats - gets out econ'd by a player like sinsling possibly fare better against the same strategy? if sinsling can amass larger power faster than the AI can, which he pretty well proved he did with the doomsday win, and celestial MC abuse beats sinsling, why would it lose to the AI? have you personally played it and found out? if it was imbalanced, what measures would you use to tell?

As for an example, I do consider battlefield autopsies (the assembly doctrine) to have been much stronger in SP and it might even still be on bigger maps. Where it gave a handful of potentially deciding techs in duels, on bigger map it allows doomsday rushing rather quickly before the AI can react to it.

you're saying that battlefield autopsies has a larger advantage vs the AI, not that it is imbalanced vs the ai. but can you give an actual, hard position on that topic? is it unbalanced? (this is a yes or no question, not a yes or no or "well the circumstances are different" question, this is not being asked in relation to MP) if so, how can you tell? how would you respond to someone saying "actually, it's not imbalanced against the AI?" what would you use to prove that point? if it isn't, why not? how would you respond to someone who says "actually, it is imbalanced?" what numbers would you use to prove your point? would you say, compare the average research gain over 60 turns from battlefield autopsies vs the resources generated by other similarly priced doctrines at that level, like the vanguard food doctrine? (yes, we do this kind of thing frequently, mrno has made a lot of graphs in excel for this purpose) you don't even have to test this yourself, make some basic assumptions about how the game would progress (let's say you average 1 site clear every turn for 15 turns, by which point you have a second clearing stack and can clear 2 sites every turn, etc etc) and show how the situation plays out if we accept reasonable assumptions about how the game progresses. put forward an actual argument on a specific topic and stop waving in the direction of arguments that might be. you're the one who came into this thread to complain about how MP players are the big problem with every balance discussion but i see no reason to believe that you are capable of even participating in a balance discussion

Last edited:
like you could totally sit down and math out how much tech you'd manage to get out on average of battlefield autopsies after x amount of turns (where x is the amount of turns that you consider relevant in an SP game) by just formulating a basic scenario, running the math on your scenario, and then playing it out a couple times to make sure the numbers line up. you could then take your end figure and compare it vs the figure you get for a similar test on a point of comparison, like the vanguard food doctrine. you could use this as a basis for arguing that an imbalance exists, from an SP perspective, and if that didn't match up with the conclusion that MP players have, then yes you would have successfully found a case where MP balance doesn't translate directly over to SP balance (though, this case would be insufficient: you'd have to find a strategy that is broken in MP and use tests and points of comparison to show that it's balanced in MP, as the point being made is that MP imbalances are inherently SP imbalances, not necessarily the other way around). i do not believe that you or anyone except MP players ever actually did anything like this for the topics you bring up.

also you know, i thought for a few seconds about that MC ability and i'm pretty sure that SP circumstances make it wildly more powerful. in MP games the game is unlikely to go on long enough for that economic power to really snowball, you're just coasting off the immediate gains, but the value you're getting in SP games is so much higher. since food costs increase so much as you have more population in a city, but getting 1 pop for free is always the same, your rate of growth never slows down (while other strategies that have to rely on only food income instead will slow down much more harshly), while in MP the growth is much more limited by the time until another player pressures you, since the games are so short. other strategies in SP that have to utilize food as their only mechanisms of population growth will be quickly outpaced, especially since celestial MC pop growth will have a much longer length of time to pay off vs MP games. pop aren't resources you can use directly, but they are used to generate resources you use directly (energy, production, and tech), so additional pop growth accelerates resource income rather than simply increasing it, making the additional time spent collecting a payoff much more valuable

assume you reach MC ability on turn 8 and the game ends on turn 20. that's 12 turns of income from that pop, or 60 energy. if you do the same strategy in SP, you will also reach MC ability on turn 8, but the game ends on turn 60. that's 52 turns, or 260 energy, a 433% increase! but that's absolute value, and only for the first pop gained, let's look at relative value instead. you've had additional pop gains active for 86.67% of the match, while the MP player was only gaining additional pop for 40% of the match. pop gains per turn from this only scale with the number of heroes you have active with the ability, so growth is constant but being achieved over a much larger percentage of the game (over double!). wow, even in terms of relative gains, SP wins out handily!

you can change the numbers to whatever benchmarks you want, maybe it's more reasonable for you to get access to the MC ability on turn 6 or turn 12 or something. maybe you consider a reasonable length for SP games to actually be 80. i'm pretty sure the end conclusion remains the same unless you pull some really out there numbers out of your ass. i don't know how powerful other SP strategies you might bring up as a point of comparison are, but unless they're pretty ridiculous this sounds insanely powerful to me, especially since you aren't investing any resources into powerleveling your hero. you can literally run any other powerful SP strategy simultaneously with this one! (assuming your strat of choice isn't also hero leveling based, obviously) it might be more prudent to measure this ability against other hero abilities for this reason, since it's only part of a strategy, but then the question becomes: do you honestly think any hero ability will match up to 100+ food per turn? hell you don't land it every site clear, let's call it 50 food per turn on average (unless you use pug resets!). i can't think of a hero skill that is even remotely comparable to that. if this isn't imbalanced, what is?

like seriously dude i'm not trying to say that you need to spend 20 hours in rigorous testing to argue about balance, but you have to actually like, present disprovable claims and put forward something resembling an actual argument for your positions, something you're bizarrely unwilling to do.

Last edited:
that's me when i'm practicing builds lol. i'm just looking to see if i can hit benchmarks, if the AI was higher level it might throw off the test by doing something wild like send 2 stacks of frenzied at me on turn 12, which would be amusing and present something resembling a challenge but for my purposes would only distract from my actual purpose of playing the game

As far as I remember the celestial MC ability was not "once per battle", it was on cooldown. There was a video where a single Kirko hero attacked a stack of 6 units including tier 3 and converted them all into colonists.
I think it was more broken in SP indeed, I remember adding colonists to 20+ size colonies and then every colonist could give 8-9 energy depending on terrain.

dude you're not responding to my points at all, how do you write so many paragraphs without getting it

Right back at you. I've tried to explain it a dozen times by now, and if you were capable of sharing my perspective I'd assume you'd have engaged in any of that instead of ignoring all of them
At this point I Have no confidence you are capable of understanding a perspective that is differentfrom your own.

I will reply to this and then stop engaging this contention, because frankly, I do not know how else to explain it anymore. I don't know how to tell you how somethign looks from a different angle when you seem inccapable of moving.

my reasoning is "most other strategies are not able to keep up with that level of economic growth. you can tell this by trying to beat that strategy with other strategies" because you can measure that strategy against other strategies directly, by having them compete in the same game or by estimating basic benchmarks of economic progress given past experience with similar strategies.

There exists already a benchmark. It is the AI players. Why would you ened to invent other benchmarks when one is already built in the game?
You are approaching this how you approach MP and completely ignoring that asymetric balance you identfied in the first place. And I am not.

that's me when i'm practicing builds lol. i'm just looking to see if i can hit benchmarks, if the AI was higher level it might throw off the test by doing something wild like send 2 stacks of frenzied at me on turn 12, which would be amusing and present something resembling a challenge but for my purposes would only distract from my actual purpose of playing the game

This! Tke this some steps further instead of going right back, and then maybe you understand the position I advocate here.

Man, itd be a real shame if someone came along and killed the ai using a dd significantly faster than the ai can get them without using autopsies.

Oh...

Remind me: Did you build 7 research sector exploitations and shape your entire economy around reaching that goal to do that? Or did you devote only a single doctrine slot to do that?

As far as I remember the celestial MC ability was not "once per battle", it was on cooldown. There was a video where a single Kirko hero attacked a stack of 6 units including tier 3 and converted them all into colonists.
I think it was more broken in SP indeed, I remember adding colonists to 20+ size colonies and then every colonist could give 8-9 energy depending on terrain.

Both versions existed, I was referring to the 1/battle one.

Remind me: Did you build 7 research sector exploitations and shape your entire economy around reaching that goal to do that? Or did you devote only a single doctrine slot to do that?
Yes, but as was pointed out how do you know which one is superior? Just because [research sectors > ai] and [battlefield autopsies > ai] does not mean [research sectors = battlefield autopsies]. The use of an inferior metric to justify balance is terrible.

I'll go back to this;
My experiences say that there are people who do not care about balance so long as the AI is incompetent enough to not use those imbalances against them. I guess that technically counts as "under different circumstances", but leaving in broken items simply because your oppenent does not understand them can hardly be considered fair. I'll make the concession that there are people who enjoy abusing unfair tools as a sort of empowerment.

Your case for justifying the celestian MC on heroes is based on the premise that the AI can not abuse the ability to maintain, if not increase, its' lead over a human player. So not only can the human player catch the ai with an intelligent economic game, they can also abuse an economic accelerate that even a human oppenent can not respond to without also being celestian and abusing the same ability.

Since we can deduce that [celestian MC>ai] and [celestian MC>food] as well as [celestian MC>human] for good measure, it's probably a fair point that celestian MC was breaking the game.

Man, itd be a real shame if someone came along and killed the ai using a dd significantly faster than the ai can get them without using autopsies.

Oh...
Hahahahahahha. Man, I had to laugh at that one. That was hilarious for the five people who understood it.

And guys, how is it possible that you are still fighting on this? Both of you know what the other is really saying, and you just keep going at it. Feels like I am on a blog with a bunch of damn lawyers that just like arguing.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Right back at you. I've tried to explain it a dozen times by now, and if you were capable of sharing my perspective I'd assume you'd have engaged in any of that instead of ignoring all of them
At this point I Have no confidence you are capable of understanding a perspective that is differentfrom your own.

I will reply to this and then stop engaging this contention, because frankly, I do not know how else to explain it anymore. I don't know how to tell you how somethign looks from a different angle when you seem inccapable of moving.

There exists already a benchmark. It is the AI players. Why would you ened to invent other benchmarks when one is already built in the game?
You are approaching this how you approach MP and completely ignoring that asymetric balance you identfied in the first place. And I am not.

This! Tke this some steps further instead of going right back, and then maybe you understand the position I advocate here.

Both versions existed, I was referring to the 1/battle one.

Damn dude you want to measure up strategies on whether or not they're capable of beating the ai? Hahaha I guess you really want some serious nerfs thrown around then. Sinsling just beat the ai on stream with DD without ever going near them or being meaningfully threatened, excited for you to advocate nerfing DD into the ground given how it measures up to the AI's capabilities

Is this a joke

Someone realized how wildly pointless their position is and ducked out now that having to meaningfully defend it is too difficult to get away from

Imagine all of that and still not being able to make any kind of comment on the celestial MC ability besides "nuh uhhhhhhhhhhh actually it was balanced so there"

Damn dude