• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Ooooooh! The drama builds.

Had a very negative mental health event last Thursday (work-induced).

My dear fellow I offer my best wishes, thinking of you and hoping that the event was an isolated one. Am not sure how much it helps, but from the ACAs to this thread and far beyond it is obvious what a respected and well-regarded member of the community you are.

So as can be seen had a bit of a gap since my last update. Had a very negative mental health event last Thursday (work-induced).

Ouch! Glad to hear everything has been going well enough since then, though. Take care of yourself.

----

It looks like Martin and company have found a new lead in their case. Hopefully it won't end up being a red herring...

I do hope your upcoming big project is not as stressful as the last one @stnylan and best wishes for getting through the current situation.

A tanned European sort, doesn't narrow it down much but it's reasonable enough to assume he didn't acquire the tan in London! I've no doubt that this mysterious High Sheriff will soon know a great deal more, if the man's mind is 'no longer quite his own' then there will be no secrets from him or Lady Parr. Alas I also doubt any of that knowledge will make it's way to us poor readers. ;)

I wonder who or what he is ... intriguing as always. Martin may have earned a little credit from this, it seems. I wonder if it is a ‘closed caste’ system of Masters, henchmen and then the rest of the hired rabble, or if it is ever possible to ascend? Maybe after a many years (or centuries) of loyal service?

I wonder who or what he is ... intriguing as always. Martin may have earned a little credit from this, it seems. I wonder if it is a ‘closed caste’ system of Masters, henchmen and then the rest of the hired rabble, or if it is ever possible to ascend? Maybe after a many years (or centuries) of loyal service?

If it is using the old world of darkness as a base, vampires do get stronger with age (much, much stronger) but they can't exceed their elders (usually...Dracula himself is a weird case). What that means is usually the really old ones or even the few century old elders tend to look down on everyone else because they are so below them in terms of power etc. Only way of getting round this is having an elder vampire bite you, then you skip a few steps in the chain. This naturally make sense the elders even stronger becasue they can dangle this as bait for competent servants.

Reactions:
A tantalising hint of action. I wonder what "the toffs" have uncovered from Martin's discovery?

I'm glad you had a good father's day to recover a bit. Best of luck with the work project!

Ooooooh! The drama builds.

My dear fellow I offer my best wishes, thinking of you and hoping that the event was an isolated one. Am not sure how much it helps, but from the ACAs to this thread and far beyond it is obvious what a respected and well-regarded member of the community you are.
Well one needs a bit of drama now and then.

Well, the event was as much a symptom of the mental health cost of the overall situation, a canary in a coal mine if you will. But unlike in years prior I am not trying to hide it.

Must remember to get my ACA vote in.

Ouch! Glad to hear everything has been going well enough since then, though. Take care of yourself.

----

It looks like Martin and company have found a new lead in their case. Hopefully it won't end up being a red herring...
You know, I do think herrings are unfairly maligned. Where are the moudly mackerels and saccharine sardines... :)

I do hope your upcoming big project is not as stressful as the last one @stnylan and best wishes for getting through the current situation.

A tanned European sort, doesn't narrow it down much but it's reasonable enough to assume he didn't acquire the tan in London! I've no doubt that this mysterious High Sheriff will soon know a great deal more, if the man's mind is 'no longer quite his own' then there will be no secrets from him or Lady Parr. Alas I also doubt any of that knowledge will make it's way to us poor readers. ;)
We'll see how Wednesday turns out :)

Yes, London (especially in this period with all the haze) is not precisely the best part of the world where to acquire a tan. As to the last, well one will just have to wait and see what happens

The question is, would Martin want to?

If it is using the old world of darkness as a base, vampires do get stronger with age (much, much stronger) but they can't exceed their elders (usually...Dracula himself is a weird case). What that means is usually the really old ones or even the few century old elders tend to look down on everyone else because they are so below them in terms of power etc. Only way of getting round this is having an elder vampire bite you, then you skip a few steps in the chain. This naturally make sense the elders even stronger becasue they can dangle this as bait for competent servants.
As a simple reflection of VtM/VtDA canon and lore, I actually largely disagree with this interpretation. Oh, it's a not unusual stereotype, and like most stereotypes there are a grains of truth that masque much larger misconceptions. I tend to think of it also being informed more by an over-emphasis on certain game mechanics.

That said, consider the stereotype on how the older generation - say people in their 60s and older - are said to despise the youth of today, Victor Meldrew style. Or more realistically moaning about how the youth wouldn't know decent music if it got up and ruptured their eardrims. Now, for a vampiric perspective consider how that sense of aggrieved age curdles when the difference is not a mere twenty or forty years, but several hundred. I think a certain crabbiness on the part of some individuals is entirely justified ... but ...

And remember, one can discount everything before the but ...

Most older folks I've met, whilst not always understanding of the "youth" (however so defined) rarely despise them, and agree with them more often than one might suppose, especially often I think as to aims and aspirations if not always to methods. It is exhausting to see the "youth" repeat the mistakes of one's own generation, even if they manage a slight variation on that familiar theme. Of course, just now and then the the youth are right :)

A tantalising hint of action. I wonder what "the toffs" have uncovered from Martin's discovery?
We might well find out :)

I'm glad you had a good father's day to recover a bit. Best of luck with the work project!
Thank you

All
So my current intention is to post the next update next weekend, though that may change depending how it goes later this week.

As a simple reflection of VtM/VtDA canon and lore, I actually largely disagree with this interpretation. Oh, it's a not unusual stereotype, and like most stereotypes there are a grains of truth that masque much larger misconceptions. I tend to think of it also being informed more by an over-emphasis on certain game mechanics.

That said, consider the stereotype on how the older generation - say people in their 60s and older - are said to despise the youth of today, Victor Meldrew style. Or more realistically moaning about how the youth wouldn't know decent music if it got up and ruptured their eardrims. Now, for a vampiric perspective consider how that sense of aggrieved age curdles when the difference is not a mere twenty or forty years, but several hundred. I think a certain crabbiness on the part of some individuals is entirely justified ... but ...

And remember, one can discount everything before the but ...

Most older folks I've met, whilst not always understanding of the "youth" (however so defined) rarely despise them, and agree with them more often than one might suppose, especially often I think as to aims and aspirations if not always to methods. It is exhausting to see the "youth" repeat the mistakes of one's own generation, even if they manage a slight variation on that familiar theme. Of course, just now and then the the youth are right :)

Another phenomenon that I think has some bearing on this:

One thing that I've noticed among combat units with a steady turn-over rate due to casualties (such as, say, fighter squadrons in World War I or Marine regiments in the South Pacific in World War II) is that many of the "lucky few" who survive to become veterans tend to dissociate from their less experienced peers almost out of a sense of self-preservation -- they've seen too many friends get killed, maimed, or crippled already, so they don't form any close ties with the "new meat" because if they had to endure that heartache every time someone else fell on top of everything else that's been thrown at them, their sanity would collapse.

Take that same sort of effect, contextualize it within a group that's already inherently institutionally paranoid and ruthless, and stretch it out over hundreds or thousands of years, and you end up with someone who has to have a hard heart, an iron will, and nerves of steel simply to keep going. A lesser spirit would have been broken and weeded out ages ago.

This is all true of course, I rather sought mainly to outline how the hierarchy of power worked rather than the relations within (which varied and would of course vary depending upon your GM, author, game dev etc). I would say however that the Vamps in general were stuck up pricks, and age did not lessen this issue...

It is exhausting to see the "youth" repeat the mistakes of one's own generation, even if they manage a slight variation on that familiar theme.
I'm nowhere near the suggested age for the "older generation", but I'm already getting mildly tired at the annual treadmill of fresh young intelligent grads telling me they have solved one of the long standing design problems of the industry. This normally happens ust after they've learnt enough of the basics to be dangerous and have successfully completed some simpler bits of work. Repeat something like that for centuries and it is going to have an effect on how you treat the young ones.

Of course, just now and then the the youth are right :)
Hasn't happened yet. Though I'm not yet a complete monster as I do try to be considerate when I explain why they are catastrophically, fundamentally wrong and the massive fundamental problem which has vexed generations remains unsolved. And of course occasionally you get the really bright ones who are wise enough to realise that if it looks like a simple solution there must be something they are missing, such minions are more precious than rubies. I imagine Martin falling into that category.
DYAEiOu.gif

I'm nowhere near the suggested age for the "older generation", but I'm already getting mildly tired at the annual treadmill of fresh young intelligent grads telling me they have solved one of the long standing design problems of the industry.

One day it will happen, presumably. Though it probably won't be a grad student.

This normally happens ust after they've learnt enough of the basics to be dangerous and have successfully completed some simpler bits of work.

Always a fun time. Even better with explosives.

if it looks like a simple solution there must be something they are missing,

And yet, scribbling on glass was something no one thought of before.

I'm nowhere near the suggested age for the "older generation", but I'm already getting mildly tired at the annual treadmill of fresh young intelligent grads telling me they have solved one of the long standing design problems of the industry. This normally happens ust after they've learnt enough of the basics to be dangerous and have successfully completed some simpler bits of work. Repeat something like that for centuries and it is going to have an effect on how you treat the young ones.

Hasn't happened yet. Though I'm not yet a complete monster as I do try to be considerate when I explain why they are catastrophically, fundamentally wrong and the massive fundamental problem which has vexed generations remains unsolved. And of course occasionally you get the really bright ones who are wise enough to realise that if it looks like a simple solution there must be something they are missing, such minions are more precious than rubies. I imagine Martin falling into that category.
DYAEiOu.gif

Learning when things seem too easy was a valuable skill to learn. And saying, essentially, 'This is my proposal, what am I overlooking?' is helpful. And gratifying to the ego when it turns out my more experienced coworkers have nothing to add.

Another phenomenon that I think has some bearing on this:

One thing that I've noticed among combat units with a steady turn-over rate due to casualties (such as, say, fighter squadrons in World War I or Marine regiments in the South Pacific in World War II) is that many of the "lucky few" who survive to become veterans tend to dissociate from their less experienced peers almost out of a sense of self-preservation -- they've seen too many friends get killed, maimed, or crippled already, so they don't form any close ties with the "new meat" because if they had to endure that heartache every time someone else fell on top of everything else that's been thrown at them, their sanity would collapse.

Take that same sort of effect, contextualize it within a group that's already inherently institutionally paranoid and ruthless, and stretch it out over hundreds or thousands of years, and you end up with someone who has to have a hard heart, an iron will, and nerves of steel simply to keep going. A lesser spirit would have been broken and weeded out ages ago.
Without wanting to conflate real-world scenarios to what is, ultimately, a tale of fantasy I think there is very much something to this. I think I read it in a Neil Gaiman work - possibly one of The Sandman comics - an immortal opining that caring for a mortal was a like finding a kitten adorable. Within no time you are putting an old cat to sleep. Or, to put it another way, it is said that time smooths (if not heals) all griefs. In one of The Sharing Knife books by Lois McMaster Bujold one of her character opines that time is like a river. When one's grief is new it is a jagged-edged stone on which you always cut yourself. The river of time smooths those edges. The weight, that doesn't change much, but it cuts you less. Or, to put it another way, time is corrosive.

This is all true of course, I rather sought mainly to outline how the hierarchy of power worked rather than the relations within (which varied and would of course vary depending upon your GM, author, game dev etc). I would say however that the Vamps in general were stuck up pricks, and age did not lessen this issue...
If you do not like Vampires in the World of Darkness perhaps I can suggest this is then not the tale best suited to you. (which is absolutely fine). For what it's worth I tend not to like the White Wolf imagining of Werewolf, or how I frequently saw it interpreted. *shrugs* Ultimately though I would ask you to remember that although my imagining of the World of Darkness setting in some places hews quite closely to the original, it remains my interpretation.

DYAEiOu.gif
Martin is, I like to think, quite special. Though in his particular situation one almost has to be.

Learning when things seem too easy was a valuable skill to learn. And saying, essentially, 'This is my proposal, what am I overlooking?' is helpful. And gratifying to the ego when it turns out my more experienced coworkers have nothing to add.
Anyone - young or old - who can have a proposal, and then say something along the lines of "tell me all the flaws so I can improve/ditch (as appropriate) this idea" is to be treasured.

All
So yesterday...

The context for yesterday is that Monday and Tuesday have been as busy as we were during the mid-March to late-April insanity, when we were as busy as a when there is a major system upgrade. Only major system upgrades are easier because at least support tickets tend to be about a very restricted set of issues rather than the vast plethora of stuff we are now dealing with. A good deal of which is last minute and urgent as all hell, because of the nature of the overall situation.

Yesterday we had this big email change. Last week we learned, through an organisation wide bulletin, that one of our major clinical systems was also having an upgrade at the same time - of which we had not been informed. Of course, the team I work in is only the first point of contact for all IT issues for between 4-5k people, including this particular system, so why would want to actually know of any changes and what was being changed ... I still actually don't know what has been changed, though the entire system crashed out for most of the afternoon in classic upgrade fashion.

Anyway, yesterday starts, and it soon becomes clear our *clears throat* not at all incompetent Communications team *clears throat* have also put out a new intranet page without telling anyone.

Did I mention the my colleagues and I are the first point of contact for all IT issues for several thousand people? There are usually six of us, including my manager - but one person had annual leave booked six months ago which is honoured. So five of us, including my manager, who had to spend about half the day doing manager-y things. Which meant mostly four of us.

Of course the new intranet is, from the point of view of usability, a significant downgrade. Think of the recent changes to the Paradox forum, implemented by a less competent bunch with a proven track record of asking for feedback but only desiring praise. Much as I like our Chief Exec when I (or anyone else) is trying to acces this or that system the last thing we need is a screen-sized image of smiling mug when previous the page we needed was linked at the top of the screen.

As luck would have it a member of that team spoke to me at the end of the day with a particular issue, and asked me how the day had went. I have rarely found it so hard to stay professional (but I succeeded, aided in part because the person was a more junior member of that team, so it wouldn't have been his decision anyhow).

Basically, yesterday was not pretty, but thanks in part to my most excellent manager (and, to be fair, his manager too) I survived in one piece, if a little battered.

Today has been quieter - in relative terms - which means still 30-50% busier than a busy day pre-covid (and over twice as busy as a regular Thursday).

So this has really gone on long enough. I didn't mean this AAR to turn into a therapy thread, but it has been useful from time to time just to write all this up and get it off my chest. I hope you will all indulge me in this. Feel under no obligation to read.

Still planning for the next update this weekend.

They decided to rewire their system now, and without telling anyone?

Then again, if they really did need to do it within 6 months, then there would probably never be a 'better time to do it considering second wave and winter is coming.

Then again, when was a system change ever required within six months?

If you do not like Vampires in the World of Darkness perhaps I can suggest this is then not the tale best suited to you.

I do indeed like them, but I recognise they and the system itself is a bit of an acquired taste. Much like the often-beloved call of cuthulu game system and characters, WoD is often better read and told about than experienced first hand.

For what it's worth I tend not to like the White Wolf imagining of Werewolf, or how I frequently saw it interpreted. *shrugs* Ultimately though I would ask you to remember that although my imagining of the World of Darkness setting in some places hews quite closely to the original, it remains my interpretation.

Yeah, I've quite enjoyed it so far. The lady in the club probably stands as the most classical WoD vamp so far (powerful, old, cantankerous etc) but everyone introduced has been interesting, including the possible/definte werewolf characters who as you say get shafted more than the Imperial Guard usually.

It is often said that an author must take care to place limits upon fantasy factions, lest they be utterly godlike in the face of the humanity within the story. WoD has this built into the system, with vamps being surprisingly, often hilariously, handicapped and vulnerable to a competent and prepared mortal force. I think the only thing that would improve the story so far, and it may well be coming because of the excellent slow burn mystery threading, would be a push back or other response from a cult or sect of human hunters aware of the supernatural world and constantly trying to fight back/subvert it (depending on how heroic they are).

Again, I like this story, and it's not just WoD that I can see parallels to. Another work that this reminds me of is Vampyr, the fairly recent game that, whilst not based on WoD, certainly follows it closely enough in some areas whilst being its own thing. Blood and disease (and werewolves) also of course dominate the story and gameplay of Bloodborne.

Yikes! Thoughts and prayers go out to you and your coworkers; unfortunately there's never really a good time to implement a change like that, but from what you're describing it sounds like things were handled particularly poorly.

Of course the new intranet is, from the point of view of usability, a significant downgrade. Think of the recent changes to the Paradox forum, implemented by a less competent bunch with a proven track record of asking for feedback but only desiring praise.
This sounds rather like the final years of the West Roman Empire! :D :eek:
So this has really gone on long enough. I didn't mean this AAR to turn into a therapy thread, but it has been useful from time to time just to write all this up and get it off my chest. I hope you will all indulge me in this.
Well, what are friends for, after all? :) Glad you were able to keep your head rather than, er, losing it, to extend the Roman metaphor a little.;)

<snip>

Again, I like this story, and it's not just WoD that I can see parallels to. Another work that this reminds me of is Vampyr, the fairly recent game that, whilst not based on WoD, certainly follows it closely enough in some areas whilst being its own thing. Blood and disease (and werewolves) also of course dominate the story and gameplay of Bloodborne.
I've seen Vampyr, but given all the games I am/I want to play have had no temptation to investigate further. Don't know Bloodborne.

I am not sure I would say WoD was an acquired taste, with the barrier to entry which that implies. It certainly betrays its original in both the 1990s and from the USA at times, in various differing ways. Of course, my entry to WoD was through university with a home-brew LARP ruleset (developed before MET was a thing) and just a really good mix of people. No doubt the people with whom one ends of playing makes a considerable difference to one's experience.

And thank you.

Yikes! Thoughts and prayers go out to you and your coworkers; unfortunately there's never really a good time to implement a change like that, but from what you're describing it sounds like things were handled particularly poorly.
Not the worst horlicks I have ever seen, but one of the most unfortunately timed.

This sounds rather like the final years of the West Roman Empire! :D :eek:
Well, what are friends for, after all? :) Glad you were able to keep your head rather than, er, losing it, to extend the Roman metaphor a little.;)
thank you.

Chapter 1.10 - Albert VI
Chapter 1.10 - Albert VI

“Next stop sir,” Rupert says to me as the carriage clanks its way around the track. If necessary I can navigate the Underground railway - but I do appreciate the reassurance of Rupert’s quiet presence.

The brakes squeal as the train carriage comes to a stop at its appointed place. There is a hissing sound as the doors slide open through some technological wizardry I do not understand. Rupert touches my arm, a signal that it is time. We shuffle off the carriage onto the platform along with a handful of others - the evening rush is over now and the hour is getting late for daytime dwellers.

I move to the wall and wait a moment, to let others past. I nod to Rupert. We walk towards the exit, but then turn down an unmarked corridor. A short way down its length is a door marked staff only. I knock and open it.

The room beyond is small - more really a closed off bit of tunnel with a bench down one wall and a single light overhead. It might be mistaken for a dingy staff room. There is another door at the far end. “You will likely have to wait here,” I say to Rupert.

“As you wish,” he says, and settles himself down on the bench. It is the only outward sign he gives me of his unhappiness.

There is a clang on the main door of a bolt being thrust back, and then it opens. A rag-covered figure emerges. “Lord Albert, your servitor…”

I cut it off. “... is already waiting for me to complete my business with Fagin.” The thing stands there, its mouth open. I indulge this for a few seconds. “Will Fagin see me - or not?” I growl.

“Uh, yes, umm, please follow,” the young thing stammers, tries to turn, falls, picks itself up and shuffles ahead of me. I resist the urge to glance at Rupert, and follow the wretch through the portal to the Lepers’ domain.

Not that they are called that these nights.

Several others heave the door shut behind me, as my guide half-shuffles and half-runs ahead - muttering all the while. Other than the doorwardens I see no one else, but I am not surprised. The corridor is lit, but not brightly. I feel as much as hear the rattling of a passing train, and realise this corridor must run nearly parallel to the tunnel the trains use. It also explains why all the corridors that branch off from this one are all on the same side. My guide stops at the fourth, waiting just long enough to know I have marked it, and then it hurries on.

I follow.

This new corridor is quite short, maybe only ten paces deep, with a simple open doorway at the end. My guide stands there, talking to someone beyond. I quieten my steps, and it does not seem to notice as I approach. It talks rapidly in some accented dialect. It is telling quite the tale and does not seem to notice me. I look at it with the eyes of the soul, and it seems utterly wrapped up in its own fears. Beyond … there is a presence I know.

“Shut up,” a voice says. Fagin’s.

The youngling jabbers on. “I said ... shut … up.” Abruptly the gabbling stops. “Lord Albert is probably right behind by now. I can’t imagine how difficult it must be for him not to kick you up the backside - and given your failings I think we should give him the option to satisfy that urge. You agree, don’t you?”

When the creature now spoke it was with the slight delay “Yes,” it said in a dull monotone.

“Say ‘Lord Albert, please kick me across the room.’”

The creature echoes listlessly, without turning. “Lord Albert, please kick me across the room.”

I consider it a moment - but no. “Enough Fagin,” I say.

“Really Lord Albert?” he calls back. “Ah well.” Then he speaks to the unfortunate again, “Slither back to your sire and tell him you have disappointed me.” The creature falls to the floor and starts to wriggle out the doorway past me. Then Fagin is at the door. “I must apologise,” he says, “for the youth of today. Please come in.”

The room beyond is relatively snug, three sofas set around a low table. Fagin hobbles to a large armchair, dragging his twisted leg behind him, and settles into its depths, not concealing his repulsive warty form. A single electric light hangs above the table providing sufficient, if not ample, illumination. At the other end of the room is a desk and filing cabinets. That strikes me as a little obvious on Fagin’s part, but I doubt I am the intended audience of particular display. Fagin waves me to one of the sofas.

“Again, I apologise for that … situation,” Fagin says.

I choose to stay silent. I remain standing, and still. No breath fills my lungs and no muscles twitch to animate my features.

He looks at me and continues. “My grand-childe needed the lesson, as does my childe who argued for her service when she was plainly not ready.” I remain silent. “I suppose I should ask why you wanted to see me?”

I wait a moment later. “As it happens I was going to ask of you a favour,” I say, and go on, “how courteous of you to arrange matters so that nothing new will be owed between thanks to your educational endeavour, just now.”

Quieter he says, “I suppose that depends on the favour.”

A fair point. “As you will know I am going away. I want The King’s Water to be watched whilst I am gone, and Dara too.”

He grunts. “Lord Mithras puts the place under his personal protection, and you came calling on me?”

“Yes,” I reply. “My Lord provides protection, I come to you for information. Is that not what your blood is known for?”

“I’ve annoyed you,” he states.

“I will answer that, once we have an arrangement in place,” I say.

Fagin looks long at the table, chin resting on clasped hands, a slight gurgling in his throat I have come to recognise as a sign he is regurgitating some thought. He looks up and his arms drop. “As you wish it. We will undertake this task, and no new debt - that was your wording?”

“Close enough,” I say. “Good. As to your question, I answer with one of my own. Have I let you become so familiar that you sought to make me part of your lesson without my consent?”

“I thought …” he began.

“You presumed,” I correct. “You presumed that I would relish a little … physical release. And so I might - at the correct time, in the correct place, and for the correct reason. This whole charade … was a trifle indulgent, Fagin.”

“You’re clearly not going to sit,” he says, and raises himself to his feet. Supporting himself on his chair, he continues, “I’ve seen you do a lot worse than kick someone across the room for chastisement. Nora, now…”

“Proceed,” Lady Anne declares.

I approach the frightened creature in front of me. She is bound between two posts, her arms and legs spread. One of the servitors offers me the so-called Sword of Justice. I heft the greatsword, draw it high, and pause. I centre myself and will my arms into swift, fluid, sinisterly implacable motion. First one leg, then the other, and the arms, all in the time it takes a human to draw a single breath, or less. The blade comes to rest before Nora falls with a thump to the ground. Her torso topples forward, her face hitting the sod. She has made no vocal sound, and is holding close to what little vitae remains to her - none is spilling from her wounds.

Lady Anne passes the rest of the sentence. “Let her remain in this state for a month and a day. If she heals herself before that time her blood is forfeit. If any care for her, they are Accountable for her like a sire is a new childe. After this time she may be presented to this Court to retain the right of residency in this Domain in her own right, or she may quit London and seek residency elsewhere. If she has no patron before dawn the sun will claim her…”

“Nora, now - I’ve seen walls that were more expressive than you when you dismembered her. That was truly cruel - my own lesson was just arsing around - and at least I care about my brood.”

I have not yet moved any muscle - save those required for speaking - since he invited me in. I wonder if he has noticed. He is sharp, but not all the time. Time for a lesson? A weariness pervades me, but I need him, and perhaps he will yet grow up.

“Fagin, I am a Satrap to Lord Mithras. You can call me cruel, and I have been cruel. Cruelty and violence are but some of the tools of my trade, and I use them as required - but they do not entertain me.”

It is time to move beyond this. I continue before he can speak again, “Next time you need a young thing educated, give me warning. It is not the lesson I am opposed to - though I would choose the precise method of instruction - it is the presumption.”

Fagin says nothing, and the pustules on his face do a good job of concealing what he is thinking. I remain still - and I think I see an understanding of sorts grow in him. He shuffles onto his knees. “I am sorry, Lord Albert.”

“Fagin, get up - it is past, and it is done.” Purposefully I will my limbs to motion, to act just a little - if only a little - human. “As I said, there is nothing new now owed between us. Just … you are getting too old to be making these mistakes.”

With some effort he clambers back onto his feet, and I sense some tension leave him. “I don’t feel old,” I think he mutters.

I smile. “And yet … you remember Nora’s trial. Not so young.” I shake my head. “I must be going. Let me know if you need my assistance in some future tutelary efforts. For the proper reason, at the proper time…” I leave it there, and I am not sure - but I think his expression is caught between a glower and grin.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Fagin hobbles to a large armchair, dragging his twisted leg behind him, and settles into its depths, not concealing his repulsive warty form.

Ah, nosferatu.

Wretched creatures.

Fagin is an...interesting choice for a name. I wonder who chose it?