Concering Issue: "Cannot connect to online server - only offline features are supported"

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

DireDave

Dire Penguin Overlord
QA
Triumph Studio Dev
1 Badges
Jun 12, 2018
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall Sign Up
Hey everyone,

An issue that has come up recently for some players concerning connecting to Multiplayer. After being able to connect to Multiplayer before; it appears it no longer works and gives the error: "Cannot connect to online server - only offline features are supported" when trying to connect to the servers. We have received a series of reports of this issue and are aware of it.

We have been looking into this issue and have yet to find the cause for it. Locally we have been unable to reproduce the issue. We added some additional debug logging to the last release, but sadly it still does not provided enough information for us to solve the issue.

Thanks to everyone who has been sending their logs and providing information so far as it has given us valuable insight. For example, multiple users have been reporting that connecting using a VPN does allow them to play Multiplayer. Unfortunately it has not provided a breakthrough yet.

Now in order to properly tackle this issue we will need a much information as possible from everyone who is having the issue. Some people have already tried most of the actions below, but to make sure that you are having the same issue we still suggest you try:

- Verifying Steam integrity-> try connect
- Re-install the game and launcher-> try connect
- Delete/Backup the \Documenten\Paradox Interactive\Age of Wonders Planetfall folder-> try connect
- Disabling your Firewall -> try connect
- Unlink your Steam account from your Paradox account (can be done on account page on Paradox plaza) -> try connect
- Connect to a different network -> try connect

For users with a comcast/xfinity xfi router:
It is quite possible that the router started blocking the MP connection since the last update for it.
If you are using a Comcast/Xfinity xfi router you can download the xfi app, it will inform you that a threat is detected on your device. Just tell it to allow the connection as it's a false positive. Should you not get this notification, disable the advanced security and try to connect to the game. If it connects successfully exit the game, re-enable the advanced security and connect to the game again. Now it should pop-up as a threat that you can grant access. Please let us know if this was the issue you were having!

Now an action that could provide very important information:

We want you to try and "ping" the server using a nifty tool called tcping.exe available here: https://download.elifulkerson.com//files/tcping/0.39/
This could provide valuable debug information on what is happening with the connection.

How to:
- Download the program
- Open command (cmd) by searching "cmd" in your search bar and pressing enter.
- In the cmd window, navigate to the folder by typing "cd ", then a space and then the folder location of the program; for example: C:\Users\username\Downloads. Then press enter.
- For US users; put in this "tcping us0.planetfall.ageofwonders.com 48066" and press enter.
- For all other users; put in this "tcping eu0.planetfall.ageofwonders.com 48066" and press enter.
- Now it should start probing the server and give information on how the connection is going. Please provide the debug info it gives below or make a screenshot and send it to logs@triumphstudios.com (Both for successes and fails)! (You can also PM me)

The country/region you live in and the version of the game you are running are important things to consider as well; so please provide them if possible.

Any other information you think could be relevant to the issue; please provide it below.

Thanks for your cooperation. We really do want to fix this issue!

Last edited:
Huh so it wasn't just me. about five hours ago or so while playing online with my friend on planetfall. I was inexplicably kicked offline from paradox login for planetfall for some reason and my pwd didn't work, I had to reset and change my pwd to get back into planetfall. Twas pretty weird.

Worth noting that depending from your windows options command for change directory can be like:
'cd /D C:/Users/username/Downloads'
Command 'cd C:\Users\username\Downloads' doesn't work for me, for example.

The real problems in multiplayer games started on 28.03. You seem to have fixed old problems that were much less significant. And at the same time added new problems that are critical. It is impossible to play in a party of 4 players, since everyone leaves the game session, every 15-20 minutes, and then it will take a long time to go in. Perhaps this is the problem of players who do not have a fixed external IP, but there are a lot of such players. These problems are not just for me, they are for a lot of people.
You make great games. But You always have more problems with multiplayer than in any games I've seen.

Just got what might be a useful post from a user on Steam:

For users with a comcast/xfinity xfi router:
It is quite possible that the router started blocking the MP connection since the last update for it.
If you have xfinity and have this error, download the xfi app, it will tell you a threat is detected on your device. Just tell it to allow the connection. it's a false positive. Please let us know if this was the issue you were having!

Question: Can anyone that's done the Xfinity fix give me some step-by-step instructions to pass on to my housemates? They claim that they see the threat but that there's no option to allow it, and since it's not my account I can't just log in and look myself.

Question: Can anyone that's done the Xfinity fix give me some step-by-step instructions to pass on to my housemates? They claim that they see the threat but that there's no option to allow it, and since it's not my account I can't just log in and look myself.
in the xFi app go to: More>My Services>Disable advanced security
I did not find a way to allow a particular threat, but this works for me to keep it disabled while playing online.

in the xFi app go to: More>My Services>Disable advanced security
I did not find a way to allow a particular threat, but this works for me to keep it disabled while playing online.

We were able to get it done (thanks to instructions when I sent an email in): Turn off the advanced security, then log in, then go back tot he main menu, turn advanced security back on and try to log in again to allow the disable for thirty days thing. Or just leave advanced security off, yeah.

My issue is that I am droped OFF from the game. Connecting and reconnecting is not a problem.
/forum/threads/age-of-wonders-planetfall-multiplayer-save-game-size.1398428/#post-26658028

Hello,

I am having this issue, and so is my friend in another state. I have downloaded the pinging executable and it did not succeed at communicating with the server.

Is anyone else experiencing this?

Been running all the troubleshooting I can find online and still running into this issue. Just bought this game and loving it, but I convinced friends to get it and none of us can even load the online feature

Guys, you should mention your locations, or at least US or non-US, so they know what server you should be connecting to.

I can still connect to the EU server, but there doesn't seem to be many people on it. (Not that I know if that is normal or not.)

I can still connect to the EU server, but there doesn't seem to be many people on it.
Servers should have been back up for 45 minutes or so. Did you r(re)launch the game when you tried or did where you still in the same session?

I attempted to ping the server at ~4:25am MDT on July 2nd, and got no response. I sent an email with a screenshot on it to the address in the OP.
Hey Zymak, thanks for reaching out. Let's tackle this as we would normally, Where you able to play online before or is this the first time you are attempting to connect? Do you have a Xfinity Router/Modem? Does it give this exact error message or a different one?