Adding nations to the empire as Austria

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Naescent

Recruit
Feb 21, 2015
Hi All, I thought I'd give Austria a try on the new update. I dont have the paid DLC yet just the free update. I've seen around that all you have to do to get people to join the empire as Austria while Emperor is to get relations above 100 and the target has their capital adjacent to a HRE province. So far I haven't been able to do that. Any thoughts on where I could be going wrong?

• 1Haha
Reactions:
This behaviour was a bug and was patched out (in 1.30.2). Just like in the old days, the AI only joins "when feel threatend" (= never). There is the "Add to Empire" CB, but I think that is part of the DLC.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Just like in the old days, the AI only joins "when feel threatend" (= never).

Not entirely true (the never part), I got about 5-6 nations to join on their own in my game is austria, patch 1.30.3.
They need to be small tho, don't expect anyone with more than 2-3 provinces to join.

Not entirely true (the never part), I got about 5-6 nations to join on their own in my game is austria, patch 1.30.3.
They need to be small tho, don't expect anyone with more than 2-3 provinces to join.

Well, the "never" part was sarcastic, but was also somewhat caused by the infuriating logic the game applies: When you try to befriend a nation, so get the relations up, they will see you as their protector, meaning that they not feel threatens and hence they won't join. Honestly, the "threatend" thing is all nice and dandy, but the protection of the emperor should not count when evaluating whether or not to join the HRE.

Well, the "never" part was sarcastic, but was also somewhat caused by the infuriating logic the game applies: When you try to befriend a nation, so get the relations up, they will see you as their protector, meaning that they not feel threatens and hence they won't join. Honestly, the "threatend" thing is all nice and dandy, but the protection of the emperor should not count when evaluating whether or not to join the HRE.

Agreed, that's why I try to avoid offering them an alliance/guarantee, and only use royal marriage, military access, improve relations and 'friendly' attitude.
I'm still not sure though if the alliance by the emperor actually matters in their decision. Perhaps they already ignore it? Hard to say without having some clear tests..

Honestly, the "threatend" thing is all nice and dandy, but the protection of the emperor should not count when evaluating whether or not to join the HRE.
It wasn't their intention to set it up this way, but the new system didn't work.

Maybe they'll change it again, but for now they simply reverted to the old system to save themselves a headache.

I think they look at whether they are threated by an outside power (France, Ottomans, Poland). I had several minors bordering the latter 2 join the HRE in 1.30.3
Correct. Same as it used to be. If the AI's threatened level is sufficiently high they will join.

You can check their threatened level in the aihre mapmode.

Correct.