• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Lordeon

Recruit
32 Badges
Jun 26, 2020
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • BATTLETECH: Heavy Metal
  • BATTLETECH: Season pass
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • BATTLETECH: Flashpoint
  • Shadowrun: Hong Kong
  • Shadowrun: Dragonfall
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • BATTLETECH - Digital Deluxe Edition
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • BATTLETECH
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Stellaris
  • Magicka 2
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Teleglitch: Die More Edition
  • Sengoku
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Magicka
  • Knights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition
  • Impire
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II
Hi all,

I have the xbox game pass and loved this game so much I just bought it and all the expansions on steam. I'm trying to find where BOTH saved game files are stored so I can just transfer my current progress over....but it's not as easy as it's been in the past. I've been through my user/appdata/locallow/hairbrainedschemes/battletech/ folder and couldnt find any saved files. I found an output_log but no saved game folder or files.

I've really enjoyed the campaign and love the team and mechs I've got going and don't want to lose this progress. Any help is appreciated. If it helps also my main install is on my D drive as the C is for boot up stuff. So on both steam and xbox I install main files to D (yes I check D, couldn't find anything either....).

Thanks!

• 1Like
Reactions:
I'm in the same boat here - bought the game on Steam and want to transfer my progress over from the Windows Store/Xbox Game Pass version. It doesn't look like this version saves in the "Everything else" file path linked in the Bug Reports thread (i.e. there aren't any saves in 'C:\Users\USER_ID\AppData\LocalLow\Harebrained Schemes\BattleTech\C#\SGS#'; I don't have a C# folder at all there).

There _is_ an output_log.txt file in the BattleTech folder in AppData\LocalLow\Harebrained Schemes\ and that has some references to a "container" with the saves, but that hasn't been of much help in tracking them down.

I'm in the same boat here - bought the game on Steam and want to transfer my progress over from the Windows Store/Xbox Game Pass version. It doesn't look like this version saves in the "Everything else" file path linked in the Bug Reports thread (i.e. there aren't any saves in 'C:\Users\USER_ID\AppData\LocalLow\Harebrained Schemes\BattleTech\C#\SGS#'; I don't have a C# folder at all there).

There _is_ an output_log.txt file in the BattleTech folder in AppData\LocalLow\Harebrained Schemes\ and that has some references to a "container" with the saves, but that hasn't been of much help in tracking them down.

Glad you said that man as I havent been able to do the change over yet. I found the same file you mentioned in the xbox area but cant see first off, where it is saved in steam cause my steam save isn't showing up anywhere and second how to make that above file into a steam save.

I am going through this too. As you realized, the help section is incomplete. Yes, the Steam saves are always in the same place. The Game Pass installation however is at:
%LOCALAPPDATA%\Packages\ParadoxInteractive.Battletech-MainGame_SOMEALPHANUMERICCHARACTERS, then \SystemAppData\wgs\ followed by the directory \SOMEALPHANUMERICCHARACTERS followed by another directory \SOMEALPHANUMERICCHARACTERS

So far so good. Now, to the juicy part (I cannot say with certainty all steps below are mandatory, in my testing some were redundant to save time):

I managed to import my Game Pass saves to Steam. It took much more effort than any save transfer has a right to take *smh* but it worked. The Game Pass save file has no extension, but it's easy to see which file it is. Basically, I copied the large file without an extension to the Steam folder, then made another copy of it and altered it to have the .sav extension. I then quit Steam, restarted Steam, relaunched the game, and it recognized the saves, cleaned up the directory, deleted the duplicates, renamed the files automatically, synced to the cloud etc. It was working.

After playing in Steam for a while I tried testing transfer back to the Game Pass version. I first moved out the old, existing save file without the extension, but I left that other very tiny container.# file in there that seems like a save game index. I copied over the Steam save file with the .sav extension, and then another copy of it without the .sav extension (because that's how it originally was on Game Pass). I also had to terminate internet access, because it just wasn't seeing the local save game (cloud sync?). When I restarted the game in this state, it finally did see the save file. However, it failed to load it, because the Game Pass version thinks you do not own the season pass extensions, which I owned on Steam while saving.

Looking at the version I installed from the Windows Store (BATTLETECH Mercenary Collection), it seems like Game Pass includes all extensions. Maybe it doesn't, I just started the game so I cannot tell. It might also be that you are "renting" the extensions from Game Pass, and do not own own them, so it might be failing a check. Or maybe it's some obscure DRM, not recognizing the DLCs across platforms. Who knows at this point?

Long story short, I think someone who actually has bought the Windows Store version with money or a dev has to weigh in whether this is a bug.

What is without doubt is that this game takes the cake in having the most messed up save game system of anything I have ever witnessed in 30+ years of gaming //cakeemoji

• 2Like
Reactions:
I am going through this too. As you realized, the help section is incomplete. Yes, the Steam saves are always in the same place. The Game Pass installation however is at:
%LOCALAPPDATA%\Packages\ParadoxInteractive.Battletech-MainGame_SOMEALPHANUMERICCHARACTERS, then \SystemAppData\wgs\ followed by the directory \SOMEALPHANUMERICCHARACTERS followed by another directory \SOMEALPHANUMERICCHARACTERS

So far so good. Now, to the juicy part (I cannot say with certainty all steps below are mandatory, in my testing some were redundant to save time):

I managed to import my Game Pass saves to Steam. It took much more effort than any save transfer has a right to take *smh* but it worked. The Game Pass save file has no extension, but it's easy to see which file it is. Basically, I copied the large file without an extension to the Steam folder, then made another copy of it and altered it to have the .sav extension. I then quit Steam, restarted Steam, relaunched the game, and it recognized the saves, cleaned up the directory, deleted the duplicates, renamed the files automatically, synced to the cloud etc. It was working.

After playing in Steam for a while I tried testing transfer back to the Game Pass version. I first moved out the old, existing save file without the extension, but I left that other very tiny container.# file in there that seems like a save game index. I copied over the Steam save file with the .sav extension, and then another copy of it without the .sav extension (because that's how it originally was on Game Pass). I also had to terminate internet access, because it just wasn't seeing the local save game (cloud sync?). When I restarted the game in this state, it finally did see the save file. However, it failed to load it, because the Game Pass version thinks you do not own the season pass extensions, which I owned on Steam while saving.

Looking at the version I installed from the Windows Store (BATTLETECH Mercenary Collection), it seems like Game Pass includes all extensions. Maybe it doesn't, I just started the game so I cannot tell. It might also be that you are "renting" the extensions from Game Pass, and do not own own them, so it might be failing a check. Or maybe it's some obscure DRM, not recognizing the DLCs across platforms. Who knows at this point?

Long story short, I think someone who actually has bought the Windows Store version with money or a dev has to weigh in whether this is a bug.

What is without doubt is that this game takes the cake in having the most messed up save game system of anything I have ever witnessed in 30+ years of gaming //cakeemoji

You beautiful genius! It worked! Also my steam files were in programfilesx86\steam\userdata\random numbers\637090\remote\c0\sg1

• 1Like
Reactions: