• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Jun 13, 2020
I will keep this really short and sweet because I'm tired of this nonsense.

How does Planetfall modding work?

More importantly, will I need the damn Paradox launcher? Can the launcher be bypassed to run mods normally? If another storm hits my area and I'll be cut off from the net again will my mods work or not?

If I get the GOG version will I still need stupid launchers for mods?

If I get Steam will I need to use both Steam and Paradox launchers for mods, which I'm trying to avoid like the plague.

Another really important question, those blue bars that are like Action Points from Fallout, how do they work? Could you mod a unit to move, shoot, move again? Or shoot, move, move?

I would like to get actual answers to all these questions because I'm not about to buy a really expensive game that I'll play for 5 minutes and then delete it. I have to be 100% sure I can fix it.

All PC Platform releases use the Paradox Launcher V2. Mod Management (Uploading, Enabling & Disabling, Sorting) runs through it, but can be circumvented by directly editing the mods/content load json files. Paradox Launcher V2, does not block any features of the game if you don't have internet, at best it won't be able to show the latest news. Mods can be installed through the Steam Workshop in the Steam version, or manually by downloading the files and putting them in the Mods folders. They are not automatically enabled (see above).

Another really important question, those blue bars that are like Action Points from Fallout, how do they work? Could you mod a unit to move, shoot, move again? Or shoot, move, move?
In most cases using an ability will always end your turn, there are two exceptions to this: Free Actions and Full Action (Continue). Abilities with these costs will allow you to move or use another ability afterwards. Technically you could change every ability in the game to be like that but that seems like much more effort than it's worth.

The modding tools are basically the Dev Tools and more given as a courtesy than actual mod tools.

All PC Platform releases use the Paradox Launcher V2. Mod Management (Uploading, Enabling & Disabling, Sorting) runs through it, but can be circumvented by directly editing the mods/content load json files. Paradox Launcher V2, does not block any features of the game if you don't have internet, at best it won't be able to show the latest news. Mods can be installed through the Steam Workshop in the Steam version, or manually by downloading the files and putting them in the Mods folders. They are not automatically enabled (see above).

In most cases using an ability will always end your turn, there are two exceptions to this: Free Actions and Full Action (Continue). Abilities with these costs will allow you to move or use another ability afterwards. Technically you could change every ability in the game to be like that but that seems like much more effort than it's worth.

The modding tools are basically the Dev Tools and more given as a courtesy than actual mod tools.

Thank you! Just the kind of answer I needed.

So let's say I'm gonna get the steam version to get some of the extra mods which were already made. How do I log in to Steam and Paradox at the same time? Will I have to put in my steam password and info in to it?

And if I get the GOG how will it work then? Do I need to link GOG and Paradox accounts somehow? I hate all these launchers! :/

Also, what is the difference between Free Actions and Full Action (Continue)? Ideally I would like to recreate the kind of combat you have in Phoenix Point. So move, fire, move, or fire, fire move. I don't want my attack to consume all the action points, just shoot/attack once, then maybe shoot once again and fall back. Ideally it also be great to have something like return fire. So if the enemy unit is some robot or something or that armed bugman then they will shoot back at you if you attack.

Thank you! Just the kind of answer I needed.

So let's say I'm gonna get the steam version to get some of the extra mods which were already made. How do I log in to Steam and Paradox at the same time? Will I have to put in my steam password and info in to it?

And if I get the GOG how will it work then? Do I need to link GOG and Paradox accounts somehow? I hate all these launchers! :/
The launcher is just a menu basically, it launches when you press play in Steam, let's you enable/disable mods & DLC etc. You can log in with your Paradox Account which then automatically logs you in in-game for multiplayer and PDX Cloud Saves. That's mostly it.

Also, what is the difference between Free Actions and Full Action (Continue)? Ideally I would like to recreate the kind of combat you have in Phoenix Point. So move, fire, move, or fire, fire move. I don't want my attack to consume all the action points, just shoot/attack once, then maybe shoot once again and fall back. Ideally it also be great to have something like return fire. So if the enemy unit is some robot or something or that armed bugman then they will shoot back at you if you attack.
Most abilities will consume all your remaining action points. Abilities that are Free action can be used freely at any point. Full Action (Continue) means that the ability needs 3 Action Points but will leave you one Action Point afterwards which let's you move or use another Single Action ability. The game has Ranged & Melee Overwatch, Ranged Overwatch needs to be set up, Melee overwatch is always active (if you have a main melee weapon). It takes the remaining action points when entering overwatch.

The launcher is just a menu basically, it launches when you press play in Steam, let's you enable/disable mods & DLC etc. You can log in with your Paradox Account which then automatically logs you in in-game for multiplayer and PDX Cloud Saves. That's mostly it.

I'm guessing it is the sane with GOG but with one launcher then? And how would I go about running mods without any launchers? I really hate them. Just a few nights ago a thunder storm cut me off again. I don't wanna rely on then or bother with them at all. I keep running my rig on an external battery a lot in fact I keep another one for backup in the attic. I can never rely on launchers.

Most abilities will consume all your remaining action points. Abilities that are Free action can be used freely at any point. Full Action (Continue) means that the ability needs 3 Action Points but will leave you one Action Point afterwards which let's you move or use another Single Action ability. The game has Ranged & Melee Overwatch, Ranged Overwatch needs to be set up, Melee overwatch is always active (if you have a main melee weapon). It takes the remaining action points when entering overwatch.

Wait, wait, wait, so... there is no way to make a unit shoot just once? Like, ok, let's say I take any basic unit like some of those soldier dudes in the white armors and have their attack consume 1 action point and do a full STOP! Is that possible? Then have them move, then attack another unit? Or it it like nope! They have to do full 3, 2 or 1 attack and then the get a move? There is no way to attack just for one point?

I'm guessing it is the sane with GOG but with one launcher then? And how would I go about running mods without any launchers? I really hate them. Just a few nights ago a thunder storm cut me off again. I don't wanna rely on then or bother with them at all. I keep running my rig on an external battery a lot in fact I keep another one for backup in the attic. I can never rely on launchers.
That is a major issue if you want to use Mods on any game these days. Its usually done by having a launcher program that loads the game with different resource files.
Wait, wait, wait, so... there is no way to make a unit shoot just once? Like, ok, let's say I take any basic unit like some of those soldier dudes in the white armors and have their attack consume 1 action point and do a full STOP! Is that possible? Then have them move, then attack another unit? Or it it like nope! They have to do full 3, 2 or 1 attack and then the get a move? There is no way to attack just for one point?
Correct. What you are asking for is likely not possible. (There is about a 1% chance that you can mod in a different action use mode.)

That is a major issue if you want to use Mods on any game these days. Its usually done by having a launcher program that loads the game with different resource files.

How is that even an issue? I played Fallout: New Vegas with mods, Kingmaker with a lot of mods , A.T.O.M. with my own mod that I'm still working and that is a recent game. Why would I need any online crap to use a mod? It makes no sense! Especially when a game like Planetfall looks broken to death! I haven't really touched a single Paradox game yet, all I hear is "Don't buy it!" or "The amount of DLCs is killing me!" or "Bloodlines 2 is a disaster! I see it already! They butchered Damsel, I'm not buying this crap!" over and over and over again it is one negative thing after another from mechanics to some weird ideological choices. How can I even trust this company after all I've seen and heard?

Planetfall is a prime example. Why, just why would someone make a unit work in a stupid way, wasting all of its action points to attack? It takes away a HUGE amount of tactics people love to use, hit and run, luring the enemy in to a trap or a better flanking position. It is as if it was designed on purpose to be bad, to take away player choice.

Correct. What you are asking for is likely not possible. (There is about a 1% chance that you can mod in a different action use mode.)

What is that exactly? Can't I just reduce attacks to one action point and have the unit continue normally? Has anyone actually ever tried doing something like that?

You seem to be fixated on trying to find negatives to complain about here. And mostly looking like you don't know what you are talking about.
Planetfall is not a Paradox game. It is a Triumph game. Triumph are a small studio that have teamed up with Paradox to do the publishing.

A Launcher is not online crap. It's a separate program that only connects online to check for updates/news, and sometimes to setup multiplayer.
I've yet to see a Launcher that refused to run a game because it couldn't connect to the Internet, so I have no idea why you are spouting crap here.
Fallout: New Vegas uses a Launcher, especially for Mods. So I really don't understand your insistence that Launchers make games unplayable for you.

What is that exactly?
As has been mentioned repeatedly, an Action Cost of 'use of one point and then leave all remaining points available' does not exist in the game.
Any insistence that this is stupid holds no water when you apparently haven't played the game yet.
Players seem to be mostly really happy with the existing range of Action Costs.
I personally think that particular Action Cost model is unneeded and would be slow to use. I'm still able to sometimes do a move/shoot/move or a shoot/move/shoot turn without it.
Can't I just reduce attacks to one action point and have the unit continue normally?
Maybe. But its unlikely.
Has anyone actually ever tried doing something like that?
Not that I'm aware of.

I'm not gonna argue over stuff that's pretty much irrelevant like the New Vegas Launcher not needing the internet to start a single player game with mods, and I'm certainly not going to write a wall of text, I don't care that much.

So I'm gonna make two quick final questions.

1) How would I start mods without the launcher on the GOG version.

2) Can someone try to make a mod that changes attacks from 3 action points to 1 action point where the unit would be able to use the 2 action points freely?

If no one attempts it I'm just gonna get the game on GOG, try out the tools to see if I can mod it, if not, screw it. I'm gonna go through the refund process. Might actually even wait a bit longer to see if the price goes down, for now I still have A.T.O.M. to mod and update some of my work.

How is that even an issue? I played Fallout: New Vegas with mods, Kingmaker with a lot of mods , A.T.O.M. with my own mod that I'm still working and that is a recent game. Why would I need any online crap to use a mod? It makes no sense! Especially when a game like Planetfall looks broken to death! I haven't really touched a single Paradox game yet, all I hear is "Don't buy it!" or "The amount of DLCs is killing me!" or "Bloodlines 2 is a disaster! I see it already! They butchered Damsel, I'm not buying this crap!" over and over and over again it is one negative thing after another from mechanics to some weird ideological choices. How can I even trust this company after all I've seen and heard?
1. The Launcher does not need internet, I keep telling you this and you keep ignoring it. The launcher works without the internet, it's basically a mod management system and play button, no internet required unless you want to receive News.
2. A lot of people hate on Paradox for their amount of DLC, however their games have also been supported for upwards of 5 years of new content. But that is Paradox Development studios. The generalisation of Paradox Development Studios and Paradox Interactive is a real problem. Project published by Paradox Interactive define themselves how they want to handle post launch content. What you see is a Vocal Minority.

1) How would I start mods without the launcher on the GOG version.
I told you as well in my first post, if you don't want to use the launcher you'll have to edit the Content_Load/Mod.Json file to manually enable or disable the mods you want to use.
2) Can someone try to make a mod that changes attacks from 3 action points to 1 action point where the unit would be able to use the 2 action points freely?
The ability costs are most likely hardcoded, you can change the kind of cost but creating a new one will be highly unlikely.

Planetfall is a prime example. Why, just why would someone make a unit work in a stupid way, wasting all of its action points to attack? It takes away a HUGE amount of tactics people love to use, hit and run, luring the enemy in to a trap or a better flanking position. It is as if it was designed on purpose to be bad, to take away player choice.
The point of the different ability costs is to extend your strategic options, if all abilities allow you to run, use, run there will be very few abilities used in MP as there will be clear choices. The different costs means you have to weight your options, do I want to move, get closer and take a lower damage higher chance shot, do I stay and use a full action for more damage or less range, do I rush in so I can use full actions next turn. This offers way more strategic options.

I'm gonna keep this short again or at least as short as possible.

I told you as well in my first post, if you don't want to use the launcher you'll have to edit the Content_Load/Mod.Json file to manually enable or disable the mods you want to use.

So would I have to write in that file? Or would I have to create that file or files? If so, how? How should they look? Where would they be located? etc. etc.

The ability costs are most likely hardcoded, you can change the kind of cost but creating a new one will be highly unlikely.

So it is possible?

Long story short, I sacrificed 8 hours of my weekend to actually go to the city and visit one of my relatives who owns the base game. She gave up on it last year, her Paradox launcher is glitched to death, and we both came to the exact same conclusion, it is a Greek tragedy of absolutely immeasurable proportions. I'm not getting this game for about 200 of my local currency, for that kind of hard earned money I can support 3 indie games, so I'll just wait for a sale or for it to get much more affordable.

The point of the different ability costs is to extend your strategic options, if all abilities allow you to run, use, run there will be very few abilities used in MP as there will be clear choices. The different costs means you have to weight your options, do I want to move, get closer and take a lower damage higher chance shot, do I stay and use a full action for more damage or less range, do I rush in so I can use full actions next turn. This offers way more strategic options.

That just made no sense whatsoever. If a unit makes the clear choice for me to absolutely unload all 3 action points while attacking a near dead enemy unit instead of STOPPING, how does this "extend my strategic options"? Taking away such basic, common sense things as NOT SHOOTING THE DEAD OVER AND OVER AGAIN is, at least to me, the LITERAL definition of taking away player choice and tactical options, and once again... I want them to attack once for 1AP and PULL BACK to a better position. I've done this so many times in Fallout Tactics and Phoenix Point but this game literally craps all over my favorite types of tactics! Which is essentially just extremely bad game design in my eyes.

Maybe we have different tastes when it comes to turn based games. I like to for example have a sniper who can move and shoot and NOT spend the entire turn on one measly shot or do nothing but mobe because line of sight is an issue. Oh and did I mention that the army guys apparently don't even have a normal sniper unit!? Ye, I found out today! They need to have some random hero unit with a sniper weapon for that, oh the joy of joys! 100 out of 10 game design!

Sarcasm aside, I don't need to argue and you don't have to agree.

I also took a look at the tools, they seem extremely complicated.

So here's a challenge - how to reduce the sniper weapons AP costs from 3 to 2?

Then how would you give the Vanguard (I think that's what they were called) a sniper unit?

Also, this is a little off topic but did you notice that one hero face looks like Mark Hamil?

Quick Update:

Never mind! She got it all figured out.

If ANYONE wants some actual help with this, here is the info:

Apparently there are 3 important files in:

Documents\Paradox Interactive\Age of Wonders Planetfall (folder)

content_load.json
game_data.json
mods_registry.json

Inside of content_load.json there should be something like:

{"disabledDLC":[(whatever is disabled)],"enabledMods":[{"path":"C:(Path to)\\Paradox Interactive\\Age of Wonders Planetfall\\Mods\\(mod folder)\\(mod name).zip"}]

You can apparently edit the file with notepad to look like this, just fill out any of the missing info.

The game should then update or maybe even create the mods_registry.json file and that will load the mod.

Congratulations! If this works for you, you just saved yourself the agony of having to deal with Paradox's idiotic launcher, may it burn in the DARKEST DEPTHS OF THE ABYSS WHERE IT BELONGS!

Maybe someone needs to write a sticky or something about this so that people actually know how to run this overly expensive and badly designed game without that cursed launcher but still being able to run mods.

This thread can be closed now. I'll make another asking about modding specifics.

Last edited: