FireNewt's Flamers First Casualty Report

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
So an ammo explosion will cause an automatic pilot injury no matter where the ammo were stored?
Good to know, then - until now I really thought that the injury would only come from Mech locations near the pilot's cockpit.
I'll refit my 'Mechs accordingly, then.
Yes, ammo explosion is a guaranteed injury, regardless of location. There are four things which cause a pilot injury: side torso loss, falling, head hit, and ammo explosion. There is a maximum of 1 injury per phase of an attack with a maximum of 3 injuries possible to be inflicted in a single attack (but extremely unlikely). There is the initial attack, a possible fall, then support weapon fire in a melee attack.

Normally ammo is in a side torso or center, so it doesn't cause an additional injury.

Reactions:
So as is pointed out, legs for ammo can be a very bad thing. Ammo crit in leg = +2 pilot injury, loss of initiative, and a downed mech that is a sitting duck for attackers.

Speaking of the numbers, is there any chance at all to avoid fatality when mech has its head destroyed?

Speaking of the numbers, is there any chance at all to avoid fatality when mech has its head destroyed?
Yes, 5% at Guts 9 and 10% at Guts 10. Add 5% if your MedBay has the Hospital upgrade.

The base chance to survive lethal damage (read: cockpit destroyed) is 140% - 5% per point of Guts. So you need at least 9 Guts to even have a chance.

CT destruction or other incapacitating damage (i.e. being reduced to zero hits) is easy to survive in comparison. The base chance to die is 90% minus 5% per point of guts, meaning a 10 Guts warrior has a better-than-even chance to survive a CT core; 60%. Again, add 5% if you have the Hospital upgrade.

Reactions:
So it is possible, but not likely. Good to know.

That means if Dekker ever survives long enough to get to 9 guts, he might manage to survive the campaign. Unlikely though, I tend to lose Dekker within the first 6 missions without fail. :rolleyes:

Strip 3 JJ (Jump Jets) off the Spider and put it all into armor and Dekker has a much better chance of survival. The Spider is so fast you could consider dropping all JJ.

Armor changes and equipment removal are instant, so you can do this at campaign/career start without incurring any mechbay time.

Well, since Dekker tends to be a head-shot magnet for me.....

The last time I lost him, it was from a PPC hit to the head. 3rd Mission IIRC. After that, I just got to where I hired a new pilot and did Dekker a big favor by firing him from the start, as at least it lessened my repair bills. LOL

When you put ammo in the arm, load the arm up with inexpensive Arm Mods. On more than one occasion I have seen [ARM MOD CRIT] flash on the screen and said, to myself, "33,000 C-Bills of Insurance that was well spent!".

This game does not reroll crits. If a crit hits an empty location it does nothing. The game doesn't display anything, so you never know that a crit was rolled, but it is in the logs.

No need to worry about crit padding.
Thanks for that. I always use "0" ton Mods to fill up the arms so they may come in handy in a melee. If you play long enough, they tend to stack up in inventory so I thought they may be useful someday.