• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
BTW, @PauloFragaso , do you play VIP in English or Portugues?
Please tell me about the quality of Google's translations.

70+% of the events should be translated by now. The latest download has a fully translated GUI in addition to 10k lines of translated events. 4k were missing of which 2k have been translated in the meantime. A wild guess is that there are hidden another 2k lines in the various event files. (I'll investigate this week...) Maybe I can finish the translations till the end of June.

To review the translations I'm dependent upon native speakers to fix the worst translation errors. Sadly, Paradox does not have a Portuguese sub-forum where I could ask for help...:(

Could you fix your game by "nudging" Austria?

70+% of the events should be translated by now. The latest download has a fully translated GUI in addition to 10k lines of translated events. 4k were missing of which 2k have been translated in the meantime. A wild guess is that there are hidden another 2k lines in the various event files. (I'll investigate this week...) Maybe I can finish the translations till the end of June.

To review the translations I'm dependent upon native speakers to fix the worst translation errors. Sadly, Paradox does not have a Portuguese sub-forum where I could ask for help...:(

Could you fix your game by "nudging" Austria?
France always sign white peace, or simply the event of french defeat isn't showing... I just want to see AI Austria doing the job, but is a failure...

Last edited:
It's very clever of the French ai to offer a white peace to the Austrian ai. It seems to know how to prevent the formation of Germany which sadly the Austrian ai isn't even aware of.:mad:

For checking the ids of triggered events simply open your savegame eug.file. If you scroll backwards you'll stumble over a huge array of numbers: events which have been triggered.

To save you further embarrasment it seems best to trigger AUS event 111273 by yourself (F12 to open the console, then type "event 111273 AUS"). Then Austria is unable to opt for a meaningless peace deal. Although you'd keep an eye on the required number of occupied provinces (5%) which might otherwise cause issues.

It's very clever of the French ai to offer a white peace to the Austrian ai. It seems to know how to prevent the formation of Germany which sadly the Austrian ai isn't even aware of.:mad:

For checking the ids of triggered events simply open your savegame eug.file. If you scroll backwards you'll stumble over a huge array of numbers: events which have been triggered.

To save you further embarrasment it seems best to trigger AUS event 111273 by yourself (F12 to open the console, then type "event 111273 AUS"). Then Austria is unable to opt for a meaningless peace deal. Although you'd keep an eye on the required number of occupied provinces (5%) which might otherwise cause issues.
I'm gonna try another new game, to see if these things can work better... But thank you, to all provided help, i'm gonna see what i can do for a better experience.

Update

The naval ai has been reworked and tested - once. That was a fast handsoff game which had only been saved 3 times durings its run. At first glance is the effect of my additions underwhelming, but that is mostly because of the game running at maximum speed. At second glance I've discovered that the naval transport ai entirely ignores the naval bases, which I had assigned as additional patrol areas. They're stuck whereever they've unloaded their embarked troops. Once you reload the game these stuck transport fleets go in active mode again and do something useful. Well, I haven't played in years besides the occasional handsoff game for testing and had entirely forgotten that the ai may easily fell asleep. Therefore it is imperative to save & reload once in a while just to reload the ai. I'm not sure what the recommendation of the VIP team was regarding the use of the POP splitter but regular splitting is highly important for the well-being of the ai economies. Is every player aware of these intricacies? Maybe I should add these recommendations to the start screen?

The last 2000 lines of the event_text.csv file are now fully translated. I've also revised the tech_names.csv file which still had some missing Spanish and Italian translations for late game technologies. Usually I could rely on the availabe translations of Victoria II, but occasionally I had to rely on DeepL to fill the gaps. The technologies and inventions of Ricky have been fully re-used for the release of Victoria II, but surprisingly many have no description at all although they had one in Ricky. It seems that there is a lot of work laying ahead if I'm willing to tackle that, too.

I've started to retrieve the remaining event names and event descriptions from the event files. Although I've only checked 89 (of 435) event files this has already netted 1400 additional lines of text which will be added to the event_text.csv file eventually. Not unexpected this is a very cumbersome job which will take its time.

Update

I'm planning to release an expanded hotfix next weekend.

In the end I'd decided against rushing an updated hotfix before I went on holiday. This has allowed me to run some test games and fix some oversights. I was also able to identify the cause of a nasty CTD.

The last 4000 lines of event texts of the event_text.csv file have been fully translated. The event_text.csv file has been expanded by adding and translating the event texts of 89 (of 435) event files. The file event_text.csv has grown by 1400 lines to 15,800 text lines. Adding these events has allowed me - with the help of the Validator - to uncover several ancient event text issues. Addditionally the UI texts, including all tech descriptions, have been fully translated with the notable exception of Italian ingame message texts. These text snippets can not be reliably translated using DeepL or Google. Some minor changes to ingame messages have been made based on the improvements of an ancient text mod.

I've expanded the names of random leaders by using some suggestions made here in the forums. These had never made it in the vanilla RandomLeader.csv file. This is the conclusion of a lengthy revision of the RandomLeader.csv file, which has increased the number of random leader names by almost 950 names (or 26%).

The Validator also has uncovered many issues with vanilla ai files which are not used by VIP:R. Nonetheless I've cross-checked several of these which have hinted that the target provinces of the railroad ai are not entirely correct. I've verified this by redoing the railroad ai of Argentina and Brazil from scratch...

• 3Like
Reactions:
New version of my non-official Hotfix for VIP:R 0.4 is now ready for download

The event_text.csv file has grown by 1400 lines to 15,800 text lines. Now are 15,800 lines of event texts and all technology descriptions fully translated. In addition, the user interface and game files have also been fully translated. (with the notable exception of some of the Italian ingame message texts)

The revision of the naval ai has been finished. The ai should now be more aware of protecting their national waters and patrolling important sea areas. Its battle squadrons should also use their naval bases more reliably.

Several missing ai files have been added.

The revision of the expanded random leader names has been concluded. In total the number of random leader names has been increased by almost 950 names. This was possible thanks to some suggestions made here in the forums that never made it into the vanilla RandomLeader.csv file.

The read.me file and the credits have been adjusted. Btw, have you checked the ingame credits? :)

download link in post #2 has been updated

Have fun!

• 2Love
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Update

While playing a few years as Mexico to check if all events are triggered, I spotted several message pop-ups which didn't look they were supposed to. Upon closer inspection I've discovered that an earlier revision of the message headers, which are very specifically coded, has caused this. I didn't notice earlier because usually I play with messages set to not show up and instead be listed in the history log. But if you set the messages to be displayed, you had to suffer. This was also the cause for CTDs. Sorry for the inconvenience! :(

I've fully revised the message headers and occasionally the appearance of the message text for better readibility. While doing this I've also added the missing Italian translations, i.e. all game files should be now translated to Italian.

The retrieving of event texts from the event files is still going on. Another 933 lines of text have been fully translated.

ATM I'm running some tests to check the ingame messages. The revised hotfix might be released next week.

Reactions:
Update

The next update will not be uploaded today - and maybe not even next weekend. Testing the message pop-ups is time-consuming, i.e. I will have to play Ricky actually to see all of them. Naturally I don't have so much spare time and I've already wasted the last weekend tracking down a reproducable vanilla bug which caused a CTD if you have set peace deals to be displayed in a message box and then a huge ai-ai deal happened. Although not fixable, I've luckily discovered that you can circumvent the CTD if you set ai-ai peace deals to be displayed in the game log. Nonetheless I've already fixed two vanilla bugs which caused incomplete message pop-ups.

Last edited:
New version of my non-official Hotfix for VIP:R 0.4 is now ready for download

The event_text.csv file has grown by 960 lines to 16,760 text lines. ATM the event_text.csv file has been expanded by adding and translating the event texts from 176 (of 432) event files. In addition, the user interface and game files and also all technology descriptions have been fully translated. Existing gaps, especially the Italian ingame message texts, have been (almost) entirely closed.

The rework and testing of the ingame message texts is not fully completed because I simply had not enough time to actually play Ricky. In the meantime I've already been able to fix two vanilla bugs which screwed up these message pop-ups.

By pure chance I've spotted two minor issues with BeBro's naval units which were easily fixed.

The read.me file and the credits have been updated. Btw, have you checked the ingame credits? :)

download link in post #2 has been updated

Have fun!
EDIT: typo

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions:
Update

Not much work has been done for the next update. I've spent my time working on other games. What I've done is a revision of the scenario files which was long overdue. While doing that I've revised and expanded the unitnames of tribal nations. The latter is of course ATM only included in the expanded unitnames.csv file which is part of my still unpublished naval mod.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Update

Over the last month I've been working on and off with the event files extracting text snippets and translating them. Another 1100 lines of fully translated text have already been added to the event_text.csv file. I'm still not finished, so a new upload is not imminent.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Nice to see you are still at it!
Well, there is still unfinished business...

Once I had decided to fully translated VIP:R, I was comitted to my decision. Nonetheless, a year ago I needed a break and started to revise the .xml files of WeThePeople before switching over to V2 in late summer to put together a multi-language version of vanilla V2. In fall I've started to revive my old AOD mods as a starting point to finally update the E3 map, but got frustrated seeing the huge backlog of changes. Looking for 'new' projects I've started modding Ricky again and so it came full circle. So here we are again :D