UPDATED 14/06/18 - *** Rules for User Made Mods and Edits of PDS games ***

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I probably can, and I think maybe I could, say "if you have come to me, and offered me $5 to make a mod, I will do so, and post it publicly"

Not to my (limited) knowledge and impression i got, no.
Bascially you can tell people that they can send you donations (via Patreon or whatnot) and how and that's it.
eidt: ...and yes you can post a direct link to Patreon. CK2 mods do. It might atcually vary from game to game though.
Then again i'm just another forum member...( my small brain, which acts as my lawyer, tellls me to repeat this).

I'm sure gigau will respond with something more official, as he said, as soon as he got feedback or someone in charge will.

Last edited:
Question: If a mod author provides mod content to Patreon supporters first, then updates the public release of the mod with this content at a later date, is this in violation of Rule 8?

Question: If a mod author provides mod content to Patreon supporters first, then updates the public release of the mod with this content at a later date, is this in violation of Rule 8?
Yes, you are not allowed to have any mod content that is exclusive to Patreon supporters or donators, even if it is just for a short period.

These rules require an additional topic with FAQ.
Attempt to check mentions of 'copyright' for this thread only vomited six pages of results at me. I was unable to reveal anything of use.
'License' search - three pages, with nigh to no use for me either. So not much of a success either.
I'll probably resort to some feedback.
4) The User Mod may not include ANY kind of license or claim of copyright distributed with the mod (You may have a Credits section).
Even MIT/MIT-like license which would
1. Allow fellow modders to use my assets in mods of their choice without necessity in pestering me for explicit permission,
2. Allow to outline who made what clearly for unlimited amount of contributors without necessity in pestering asset creator
, right?
There should be other cases where a mention in Credits just don't do (like assembling an asset with software which, due to its EULA, imposes some restrictions on the asset usage - mentionings of which HAVE to be included in end product for end user). Are such mentionings a no-go too?
(thanks gods I only encountered such drastic limitations in game making software only to date but who knows when which tool would alter its licensing in which direction)

Not to my (limited) knowledge and impression i got, no.
Bascially you can tell people that they can send you donations (via Patreon or whatnot) and how and that's it.
eidt: ...and yes you can post a direct link to Patreon. CK2 mods do. It might atcually vary from game to game though.
Then again i'm just another forum member...( my small brain, which acts as my lawyer, tellls me to repeat this).

I'm sure gigau will respond with something more official, as he said, as soon as he got feedback or someone in charge will.
this would imply you are not allowed to pay someone to help you make a mod, which I'm not certain is the intent.

this would imply you are not allowed to pay someone to help you make a mod, which I'm not certain is the intent.
You are not allowed to restrict mod access to those who pay, so as long as that mod isn't exclusive it shouldn't be problematic if someone hired another person to make a mod.

Reactions:
Indeed, donations are fine if not used as a paywall

Reactions:
How does rule 7 apply to partial use of DLC assets? If I use part of a (DLC) mesh in a new mesh distributed in a mod, is that still unacceptable, even if it isn't the whole (or even most) of the model?
Also, is content from 'Poland: United and Ready' fair game to use in mods, since it's included with the base game?

• 1Like
Reactions:
Rule 9 might be obsolete with the Paradox launcher f.e. and various tolerance to get mods hosted nearly anywhere.

Reactions:
How does rule 7 apply to partial use of DLC assets? If I use part of a (DLC) mesh in a new mesh distributed in a mod, is that still unacceptable, even if it isn't the whole (or even most) of the model?
Also, is content from 'Poland: United and Ready' fair game to use in mods, since it's included with the base game?
I was thinking of this question, since there is the CK2 Denominations in EU4 mod that uses the religion icons from the official CK2 to EU4 converter (I presume, since they look exactly the same) and it doesn't require you to own the converter, which I doubt anyone would even get nowadays.

I have a Question, can I put a server announcement telling that people who have boosted the server [consider that the server is already boosted] might get an earlier version of the MODs?

Probably referring to a discord server. It's a chatroom and if a member boosts it, they pay money to Discord so the room gets more features like extra emoji.

Reactions:
Probably referring to a discord server. It's a chatroom and if a member boosts it, they pay money to Discord so the room gets more features like extra emoji.

basically what Keizer wrote.
You can have monthly [or one time] "server boost" which enable more feature for all users [such as higher file size, streaming, emoji, etc]

Thanks

Well i'd guess not, as long as any form of payment that does create advantages for the user, even if the money does not go to the mod creator, is involved. Only my interpretation though, as there is a paywall this way.

I suppose it's @gigau giving the semi offcial answers in here nowadays.

Last edited:
Well, this is kind of awkward. On this thread you say that donations are allowed. Your Mod Policy page(which, it seems, you spam filter is preventing me from linking to) however contains the following text

3. Any use of the mod tools, and creation and publication of mods, is for strictly non-commercial purposes only, and you may not accept any fees or donations for your creation and publication of mods.

So... which is it? I would assume that the mod policy page is outdated and therefore superseded by the terms of use linked in the first post (which would also explain why only the latter is linked)... except it says "Last update 2019-09-10" whereas the terms of use were last updated several months before that (and these rules were last updated about a year before that). In fact, the fact that both of these pages exist (especially since they contain relevant text that isn't mirrored) is probably an issue that should be resolved.

Well, this is kind of awkward. On this thread you say that donations are allowed. Your Mod Policy page(which, it seems, you spam filter is preventing me from linking to) however contains the following text

So... which is it? I would assume that the mod policy page is outdated and therefore superseded by the terms of use linked in the first post (which would also explain why only the latter is linked)... except it says "Last update 2019-09-10" whereas the terms of use were last updated several months before that (and these rules were last updated about a year before that). In fact, the fact that both of these pages exist (especially since they contain relevant text that isn't mirrored) is probably an issue that should be resolved.
I think the general reading is that you may accept donations or set up a patreon to support you in the creation of your mod, but the mod itself cannot be gated behind said payments/donations.

Reactions:
I think the general reading is that you may accept donations or set up a patreon to support you in the creation of your mod, but the mod itself cannot be gated behind said payments/donations.
This. It's fine to ask for donations, but you can't do something like "I'll email you the download link after you 'donate' $5".