• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Hello everyone! We’re getting close to release and there’s not much left to cover in our Development Diaries. So today's diary will be about things I think we’ve missed in previous ones. Even though we have had 57 development diaries, not including this one, there’s still been things that have slipped. So it will be sort of a leftover scraps Dev Diary. First up, shortcut/hotkeys.

So how it used to work in order to set up your own shortcut keys in the interface of EU4 you had to mod the interface files, or download a mod from the Steam Workshop. But we’ve now implemented a way for you to configure these settings inside the game instead. EU4 is a game with a lot of interfaces and buttons so we can’t really have a settings screen listing every single possible shortcut. So instead we added this button in the game.

1590497415294.png

Clicking on that will let you then click on any button in the interface that has a shortcut and assign it a new one. Clicking on let’s say the Split in Half button for armies will prompt you with this.

1590497457219.png

Letting you pick whatever key shortcut you want for that button.

Next is a pet peeve of many, your subjects using their colonist for settlement growth where or when you don’t want it. So we’ve added a simple little Subject interaction where you can allow or forbid this to specific subjects.

1590497428132.png

So not much to say there, so let’s move on to something I’ve seen discussed from time to time within the community, which is the French Vassal Swarm. I thought I had already covered this before but no harm in being extra clear. France starts with a very powerful nobility estate and a special privilege specifically for them.

1590497438632.png

Besides being in control of a lot of land from the start, this privilege also gives them +10% Influence making it a hard one to get rid of. There is an equivalent that exists for any other nation that is not French as well, the requirement to pick it requires that you have at least 2 vassals. I hope this clears up any potential misunderstandings from our previous talks about the French Vassal Swarm.

Minority Expulsions have gotten changes to try and make Europe not too homogenous in culture. IT no longer costs diplo power but it also does not convert the home province of the culture/religion. The modifiers that affect its costs are now focused on the money cost instead of the diplo cost. The development that you get in the new world province now also reduces the amount of development that “stays” in the home province to represent the movement of people, and through that sort of making it cheaper for you to culture convert at home. We’ve also made the AI very reluctant to do it overall.

We’ve done some smaller balance changes. First we’ve changed so you can’t overrun an army that can fill out it’s combat width. Overrun being the mechanic where you insta wipe on day 1 if you have 10x the size of the enemy. Going forward we are also looking into redoing some policies values like the 20% Infantry Combat Ability, try and lower the sources of Army Tradition as a whole as we don’t want it to be this easy to get a floor of 100% Army Tradition. We are also looking at reviewing the Hussite modifiers.

I want to end this Development Diary by retracting one of our previous promises, we said at the start of working on this patch that we would solve so you could restart back to the menu. However we have to admit defeat here as we’ve put a lot of resources in trying to fix it but EU4’s architecture simply can’t support resetting it’s game state properly. So even though we thought we had an early victory in getting this to work, after intensive testing it’s shown that we are basically still at square 1. I am very sorry that we have to backtrack on this, especially if it was something you were looking forward to.

Next Dev Diary will be the patch notes for the 1.30 Update.

Could you by some chance post the Croatian Mission Tree? Pretty please? We only saw snippets of it in screenshots!

• 7Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
I want to end this Development Diary by retracting one of our previous promises, we said at the start of working on this patch that we would solve so you could restart back to the menu. However we have to admit defeat here as we’ve put a lot of resources in trying to fix it but EU4’s architecture simply can’t support resetting it’s game state properly. So even though we thought we had an early victory in getting this to work, after intensive testing it’s shown that we are basically still at square 1. I am very sorry that we have to backtrack on this, especially if it was something you were looking forward to.
That sucks, hope that it can happen by EU5 :p

• 6Like
Reactions:

Next Dev Diary will be the patch notes for the 1.30 Update.
Here's hoping for EU5 not having this problem. Does CK3 have it?

• 3Like
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
Looks very cool! Love that shortcut qualtiy of life feature.

Will there be some informations for us modders? In terms of how existing triggers, effects or other things change, that would need to be update?

• 2Like
Reactions:
Just a small question. When are we going to get an art DD? Is it coming later this week, no coming at all, or coming along side the patch notes? Seems weird to not have an art DD for this DLC.

• 5Like
Reactions:
Minority Expulsions have gotten changes to try and make Europe not too homogenous in culture. IT no longer costs diplo power but it also does not convert the home province of the culture/religion.
Does that mean that you can expulse the same minority from the same province multiple times?

• 2Like
  • 2Haha
Reactions:
Could you guys introduce a slider that can make development spending automatic? Like allocating from 0-999 powerpoints per year to develop our provinces.
Please???
Can you save us from all of that clicking?

Example it's late game, when you have powerpoints just sitting around.

• 4Like
Reactions:
Heya, I'm curious about the french vassal swarm's power relative to 1.29. I think a lot of people, myself included are worried about this change tipping the balance in the surrender of maine even further in france's favour.
Is there a way for england to weaken or sabotage these vassals, or some other subject type, or is there some other way you've prevented this from making france even more unbeatable?

Thanks in advance

• 2Like
Reactions:
Does that mean that you can expulse the same minority from the same province multiple times?

Yes but you will keep also reducing the development of that province.

• 15Like
Reactions:
Heya, I'm curious about the french vassal swarm's power relative to 1.29. I think a lot of people, myself included are worried about this change tipping the balance in the surrender of maine even further in france's favour.
Is there a way for england to weaken or sabotage these vassals, or some other subject type, or is there some other way you've prevented this from making france even more unbeatable?

Thanks in advance

Burgundy has option to throw a spanner into the works :)

• 13Like
Reactions:
For the CB that allows the emperor to force nations into the empire, is it always able to use or do you unlock it after a certain reform?

After a certain reform

• 7Like
Reactions:
Hey guys,

Just a question, have we seen the French new missions? Or will it be a surprise?
Thanks

Covered in a previous DD :)

• 3Like
Reactions:
Hey guys,

Just a question, have we seen the French new missions? Or will it be a surprise?
Thanks

Yep.

• 1Like
Reactions: