• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Wenceslaus II

Przemysł II
41 Badges
Aug 24, 2007
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Imperator: Rome - Magna Graecia
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Semper Fi
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • For the Motherland
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • 500k Club
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Deus Vult
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Darkest Hour
I have two questions. Is it possible to edit a saved game and turn colonist size from 200 to 400? If not, which button brings down the cheat menu and lets you type "colonists"?

It's "possible" to edit a saved game and modify the data for a colony, but changing colonist units globally to increase their size would require a change in either the data files or the main executable. Editing the data files is very possible, but it may not affect the game currently in progress, because some things are loaded once at the start of a campaign, not upon reloading a saved game. The .exe is a much bigger issue, if that's the case.

Use the "tilde" key (~) - right below the <ESC> key - to open the console. Use the lower case, not the actual upper-case "~" which requires the shift key. Same key to close the console.

Personally, I would just use the in-game tools to boost colonist generation: build or annex a few coastal Centers of Trade for a 0.1 Colonists per year increase, or choose the National Idea that boosts colonist generation by +1.00 per year. The National Idea which directly increases colonial growth has a much smaller net effect unless you have a lot of colonies being settled simultaneously, but is still a viable option. There is also a minister with that effect, if you've got enough Cultural Tradition to create one.

From the "200" figure you mentioned, I take it that you're settling horde land, not building colonies in the New World or Africa, where you only get 100 settlers per colonist unit sent.

You get to pick unit size from standard 100 to 200, 300 or 400 when you start a new game. I don't want to cancel my game, I just was hoping I could edit the options for my saved game. I'll just cheat with colonists, I'm playing MM start date 1730 as France. I checked ministers and national ideas and for MM I don't think there's one that increases settlers. I get 2 or 3 a year.

Thanks for the lord proprietor advice. I allready have colonial ventures. I started a game in 1730 as France for the Magna Mundi mod. I guess after mid 16th century I think events lesson because it wasn't as prioritized as the earlier dates. As I wait for some historic war or a DOW by the AI, cheating with colonization is a good time killer. All I was getting was 1.5 colonists a year, I lost some factor that gave me 1.0 extra a year.

All I was getting was 1.5 colonists a year, I lost some factor that gave me 1.0 extra a year.
I'm guessing that you either changed religion from Catholic to Protestant or Reformed, which seems the most likely culprit, or else lost several Centers of Trade in wars, which I find hard to believe. A war against a Horde will also give you a boost in colonists per year, so getting a province adjacent to a Horde and prolonging the war for a decade (occupy the province, but don't colonize it) is another way of gaming the system for more colonists, without using the console. Ending the war will obviously remove the bonus, so that's another possible reason for the decrease. Then there's Cultural Assimilation, and forced assimilation costs you 0.5 colonists per year until the province converts (after an average of 50 years).

I really can't remember. I've played so little of EU3 I'm stubborn to even play a minute of EU4. Luckily it seems there won't be an EU5 for years - that's probably why paradox is pushing for the best EU4 that they can put out. Hence the new expansion and continued work. Without out asking in the MEIOU forum, so I don't insult anybody, I would like to ask is MEIOU an eye candy mod or does it put out any increased depth to the game? I mean MM was considered the mod of all mods for EU3

I would like to ask is MEIOU an eye candy mod or does it put out any increased depth to the game? I mean MM was considered the mod of all mods for EU3
MEIOU definitely adds events, adjusts game mechanics, and does a lot more than just playing with the flag and map colors. It's been several years since I ran it, so I can't recall what that particular mod did, but it wasn't just cosmetic by a long shot. Ultimately, however, I ended up back playing the vanilla game.

Good to know. I did a 1750 start as France and was very impressed with the new map.

I played an hour of MEIOU today. I think the 4g map is a world better than vanilla EU3. And the graphics changes are ideal. I can't wait to play more into this fine mod, I think I do like it better than MM. You really have a "feel" of the era when you play with MEIOU and all it's wonderful changes